After long Thursday practice, Vols gear up for 'mock game' at Neyland Stadium

Tennessee coach Butch Jones walks by a group of players during practice Monday at Haslam Field. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2013

A nearly three-hour, 23-period practice on Thursday afternoon was Butch Jones' way of welcoming back players after a two-day break.

It was the last true evaluation session for coaches. The depth chart for the season opener probably won't be released until on Monday, but Jones acknowledged that many of the positions are already set by default.

"Some individuals will have to play, so you can see that we're force-feeding them," Jones said.

The mock game will be geared around preparation more than evaluation. Jones said it would include "anything and everything that could occur" in a real game.

"We don't assume anything," he said.

For complete observations from Thursday's practice, check out Evan Woodbery's blog. Check back for more stories, photos and videos later tonight.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennnessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

volcop writes:

VERY INFORMATIVE

sameolvolalum writes:

That's a refreshing article. Here's hoping for a qb and one of those rb's to break out into greatness and for the injury bug to stay out of town. Depth is clearly an issue but I, for one, remain optimistic. GBO!

orangeday writes:

in response to sameolvolalum:

I agree completely! The cupboard is not empty regardless of whom the previous coaches were, but injuries in the wrong areas would have a bad effect on the team in general. I believe this year will be tough but there are some games that we aren't supposed to win but will. I don't usually comment on this board because of the regular idiots that reply but I will try to ignore and stay on the whole year. To let everyone know who I am, My great grand father was every day is orange on here! Last word Jeffy you're an idiot!

Rock_E_Topp88 writes:

in response to sameolvolalum:

I am with you...very optimistic for this year. 7-5 perhaps 8-4 if we can sneak up on a couple of teams. I would love to see the Vols take out UGA and Floraduh...can't stand Muskrat and tired of losing to UGA.

Win, Lose, or Draw its great to be a Tennessee Vol. Bring on those Guv'nahs!

vol1994 writes:

I still don't understand why special teams continue to suffer. I remember when the team could count on special teams to help us win a game. Nowadays it seems they hurt us.
Palardy will struggle down the stretch if he has field goal, kick off, and punt responsibilities. Hopefully someone will step up but it doesn't sound good imo. Special team issues along with an offense comprised of a young qb and WRs could place the defense in difficult situations.

62vol writes:

I think the offensive line will carry the Offense along until we have the experience to be a well rounded team. It is and it has been the Defense- I say, the Defense- that we have to worry about. Not much has been reported about them to date. Many fans on this site have criticized recent past coaching but the Offense was coached okay. Pittman was a good line coach. The receivers and running backs were coached ok too. It was the choice of Sunseri as DC that did us in. So, why now are we so concerned about the Offense and why are all of the reporters following the Offense? Have we gotten spoiled to having an Offense that puts up 40, 50 points a game? Well, they had to just to stay in the game with division 2 teams. I would like to hear more about the D and how they are responding to the coaching efforts and what those efforts are.

vol1994 writes:

in response to Rock_E_Topp88:

Win, Lose, or Draw its great to be a Tennessee Vol. Bring on those Guv'nahs!

I love the vols and think Butch has UT on the right track but I am mot sure why folks think we will beat Oregon, Florida, and/or UGA. All three of those teams have more talent and depth than UT.
6-6 or 7-5 will be respectable records for this yr and next imo.
2015 should be better w/ UT competing for the east in 2016 hopefully.

Orange_Beach writes:

Well they should be ready for this one, Mock games is all they've ever played in.