John Adams: Butch Jones hasn't had enough time to change UT's losing ways

John Adams
University of Tennessee head coach Butch Jones poses with seniors for a group photo during media day at Neyland Stadium, Thursday, Aug. 15, 2013. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

John Adams: Butch Jones is off to a strong start at Tennessee, but hasn't had enough time to end the Vols' losing ways.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

Rock_E_Topp88 writes:

5-7 finish my ***..........NO WAY. 7-5 maybe 8-4.....take that to the bank.

vol1994 writes:

Local media not giving vols much a chance to go bowling. First was Wes Rucker and now Adams, both stating Vols will go 5-7. 6-6 is where I think we end up as I don't think this team can win four straight to close the season.

Go vols!

Colliervol writes:

Really John? Ya think he needs more time? Since he hasn't coached his first game, I'd say that's accurate. The "duh" article of the month.

volfanwestcoast writes:

Thanks for your confidence John. I hope the team takes this to the bank.

I am absolutely thrilled to have Butch at the helm and look forward to seeing what this team can do. We have a brutal schedule, but I think this team has the opportunity to win when we aren't expected to do much.

Only fools predict records-- let's see what we can do on the field. Best of luck Vols!

GerryOP writes:

What's the difference between Rucker and Admas predicting 5-7 and me and others predicting 8-4 ... or better? Adams and Rucker get paid for their predictions, we do it for free. End of story.

fearthehound writes:

It's his opinion, and I think it is reasonably thought out. The wild card here is that Butch inspires the guys to win a couple they shouldn't.

Truth is, last year at this time I was pretty pumped with what we had coming back. On top of that, we had Sunseri and his defense was going to attack and look like the D's Bama put on the field. That, coupled with our powerful offense, almost guaranteed 8 or 9 wins. Well, we see the results of those pipe dreams.

I think Butch has what it takes to turn this thing around. I also think the players have bought into the program, and if you look at the recruiting classes for Vandy, South Carolina, Arkansas, etc, etc, you will see that our talent certainly matches up ok with them. No need to think we will be bottom feeders.

It might just take a little time to get back where we want to be. I don't blame Adams for his opinion on this. It is what it is.

fearthehound writes:

in response to GerryOP:

C'mon GOP, I've read their predictions in the past. Just because they get paid for it doesn't mean squat. When it comes down to it, with all the variables that are thrown in to a season, it's really pretty much a kr@pp shoot. I trust your 8-4 about as much as I trust their 5-7.

TnOrange4Life writes:

Really now? Not enough time Mr Buzzkill Adams? They havent teed off yet.I certainly hope youre still considering the filing job in south alablah. GBO VFL

GerryOP writes:

in response to fearthehound:

Sorry 'hound, guess I wasn't clear. You and I are saying the same thing! Their prediction is no better than ours. Particularly Rucker's! I cancelled a fee trial subscription to 247 because of him!

BreatheUT writes:

I don't know what the final record will be because last year was rough but there is no denying that last year was probably the worst coached team at UT - ever. Some say the offense was well coached but even the predictable AJ Johnson package on offense never fooled anybody. In another game Pig Howard received more touches than Cordarelle Patterson - intentionally. And we all know Sal basically robbed UT but we were stupid enough to give him a multi-year contract for being an unproven, un-experienced coordinator. So really the verdict is still out on how the season will unfold but I like the direction the program is headed and I have a lot of confidence about the future.

GBO

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

lguy (Inactive) writes:

I am predicting 10-2. I just have a feeling about this team.

We need that W against Oregon but even if we don't get it, still 10-2.

fearthehound writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Gotcha. In the old days at Fulton High, he wouldn't have lasted long. LOL.

UTbassdrummer writes:

Everything John is saying is reasonable.

There's a difference between WANTING a 10-2 season and expecting one. If you flush your expectations, accept that the deck is stacked against this young/shallow but inspired team, and just approach each game as a chance to do something special, you will enjoy this season much more than letting your heart break when we start losing some games.

Razzle writes:

Last year at this time, John Adams made this statement in an article: ''In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if Dooley were named SEC coach of the year at the end of the season.''

Just like some of you have said, your opinion is as good, if not better than his. 7-5.

dvol writes:

I think 5-7 or 6-6 are reasonable considering the Schedule. Having said that there are good 5-7 and bad 5-7. Last year I saw a team that gave up in some games. I don't think you will see that this year. This will be the start of good things happening in the future. Help is on the way and this team I believe will beat someone their not expected to beat. Ga. or S.C. maybe.

tmcretired writes:

I think 8-4 Jones is got the guys in a good place Go Vols Go Coach Jones. Lets stop with the Kiffin Hating he was the last winning season so get over it

NINEisgonnabeFINE writes:

So the local hack speaks the truth and the kool-aid drinkers cry wolf. I noticed those of you that are "predicting" 8 or 9 wins did not bother to tell us who those 8 or 9 wins will come against. Let's break it down. Shall we?

(Before we get started let's get one thing straight. I've noticed over that last few weeks that many of you are predicting a win over SC. Why? It won't be close. SC's D will destroy ut)

Peay win

WKU win (closer than you think. Petrino is a better coach than Lyle)

@Oregon loss (Ducks hang 50)

@UF (UF by double digits. Could be a blow out)

USA win

UGA loss (best offense in SEC will embarrass ut)

SC loss (SOS and Clowney. 'Nuff said.)

@'Bama loss (pick your score)

MO win (but close. Franklin will cause problems)

Auburn loss (pivotal game for ut. Auburn will have enough offense to win at ut)

Vandy win

UK win (provided UK doesn't play a WR at QB)

6-6 (at best) provided ut can beat Vandy.

Hello Shreveport!

EIGHT!

Orange_Power_T writes:

Great locker room fodder.

Last year we lost a couple of games in the last few minutes, and that was with the worst UT defense that I can remember. I guess everyone is entitled (I hate that word) to their opinion as this year is a big unknown. Who knows, there may be some kid that gets to play due to an injury and becomes the darling of the SEC. Or we could become bottom feeders due to multiple injuries. This isn't the point due to this article.

I've always said Adams is the ultimate pessimist of college football journalism. If anyone could put a negative spin on a bag full of twenties, it's Adams. I am continually shocked that Adams is allowed to write columns for a home town news outlet with his continual negative banter. His mode of operation speaks more of the tabloids sold in grocery lines. Makes one wonder what early childhood debacle happened at an early age to sour his outlook and instigate such negativity ever since.

I'll go with the flow and predict 7-5 with a bowl.

WaltGoVoIs writes:

"Tennessee fans can only hope he’s right, because when you look at the talent and the schedule, there’s no compelling reason to believe this team will be any different from the three consecutive seven-loss teams that preceded it."

This will be worth quoting later.

Walt

UT '81

BruisedOrange writes:

Not being pessimistic... just offering IMHO a reasonable reality check:

COACHES: Much improved. A solid foundation is already laid to rebuild the program.

PLAYERS: More talent, but less experience. More potential, but currently young. Little depth in some key positions.

EXPERIENCE: Remember, this defense has no game experience together playing the 4-3, with several players recruited to fit the 3-4. The skill players on offense have little or--depending on who gets named starting QB--no game experience playing together.

SCHEDULE: First game will provide experience and a chance to make learning errors without a loss. Greatest improvement will be between 1st and 2nd game.
Second game will provide more on-field challenge with the added mental pressure of securing an expected win in a losable matchup.
Third game puts the youngsters on the road, on a national stage, under big-time conditions, with all the distractions and an unfamiliar routine. The Ducks will reveal who plays slow and who plays small. Scheme-wise, it will force us to "pull out all the stops" before beginning our SEC schedule.
Fourth game, we will face Florida as a known entity. They will have all the tape on us. They'll know our schemes and personnel. Whatever weaknesses we've hidden will be revealed. There's little the coordinators can do now. This will be size against size, speed against speed, confidence against whatever we are leaving the west coast.

FINAL RECORD: With several key injuries 5-7 would be a struggle. With no bad luck, 6-6 could be do-able. With a few good breaks, and healthier than average players in November, 7-5 would still be an incredible accomplishment worthy of high accolades.

It's great for fans to get stoked before the season, but keep it in the man cave. Let's not sully the eventual accomplishments of this team by publicly erecting unreasonable expectations in August.

WaltGoVoIs writes:

For Adams to have much validity as a prognosticator, he'll have to do better than saying Derek Dooley might soon become a hot commodity, as he did last year before the UF game.

Walt

UT '81

TheFuj writes:

When we lost to a poor KY team with no QB, I knew that we were the worse coached team in America. We had triple the talent of KY and underachieved in all aspects of the game.
Now, with Butch, only time will tell. This season will be rough no doubt. Just not enough talent to compete big. But, can Jones make them play better than their talent? Can he make some coaching moves that can turn games?
Will be successful year if we beat the teams we should beat, play tough in the top 10 opponent games, and pull 1 upset win. Has to beat KY and Vandy. If can beat Auburn and Missouri, then it will be a successful year. Those games will be won on coaching, and no major injuries in the year.

NowHearThis writes:

What UT fans just do not comprehend is that no matter how big the stadium is and how powerful that T looks on the uniform, this is a totally different program than they were used to seeing regularly beat teams like SC and GA. Listen to some of the interviews of the coaches on YouTube and it becomes apparent that these guys are going to be eaten alive in the SEC.

No one in their right mind would willingly trade Coach Fulmer and Chavez for what is in charge now. Current UT alumni will regret it to their graves if they do not give the Great One another shot.

BTKidd writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Free is what your prediction is worth. Although now that i think about it, you should probably pay them to listen to your absurdities.

cloudodust writes:

I don't believe CBJ's major motivational factor for his team lies in wearing Orange britches on Saturdays. In retrospect, it seems that's all Dooley had. On that assessment alone, UT does better than 5-7...

jimr07 writes:

in response to NowHearThis:

There is a village somewhere in the world looking for its own idiot.. I have submitted your name...

Rock_E_Topp88 writes:

in response to NowHearThis:

Vicky....we know you love your husband. But he was paid $6 million to go away. Why was he paid to go away? Because he became lazy and complacent.....recruting fell off, coaching fell off. wins fell off, etc. Surely you have not blown thru the $6 mil already, have you? So just sit back, relax, and enjoy a big tall glass of shut the **** up. Your hubby ain't coming back to UT. Maybe he could take one of those other many coaching offers he has had over the past 5 years. (insert crickets chirping)

PS....I don't remember Coach Chavez. Was he related to Hugo?

Rock_E_Topp88 writes:

in response to BTKidd:

Rabbit Ears....get yer Rabbit Ears.........

Freeman you are a sock puppet buttclown. I would like to buy you for what you are worth and sell you for what you think you are worth. That goes for your troll master too. Take a hike, TROLL.

BolivrBob writes:

Dooley lost this team at halftime in the Florida game and continued to make it worse. This team has more talent than is given credit for. Jancek has fielded very good defenses the past two years with a lot less talent than he has now. We may be inexperienced on offense, but there is very good talent there. I predict one of the freshmen will emerge at QB by the Oregon game. He may not end up Johnny Football, but very effective in Bajakian's offense. I think we will way over achieve and finish 11-1 with a close loss to Bama and then beat them in the Georgia Dome. My PREDICTION.

dragon18 writes:

in response to NINEisgonnabeFINE:

Peay win

WKU win (closer than you think. Petrino is a better coach than Lyle)

@Oregon loss (Ducks hang 50)

@UF (UF by double digits. Could be a blow out)

USA win

UGA loss (best offense in SEC will embarrass ut)

SC loss (SOS and Clowney. 'Nuff said.)

@'Bama loss (pick your score)

MO win (but close. Franklin will cause problems)

Auburn loss (pivotal game for ut. Auburn will have enough offense to win at ut)

Vandy win

UK win (provided UK doesn't play a WR at QB)

6-6 (at best) provided ut can beat Vandy.

Hello Shreveport!

EIGHT!

Your predictions/thoughts are actually in line with mine as much as I hate to admit it. I will take issue on two points though. First, I think UT has a good chance of beating Auburn. Time will tell but I'm not sold on Malzohn (sp) as others seem to be. Auburn's talent level seems to be comparable to UT's and the game is at Neyland. That game will be close. The other is the notion that Petrino is a better coach. I will give you that he is more proven, but that is not necessarily better. I really like Butch Jones as a teacher/mentor/motivator/coach. I think we should wait a few years before we start throwing up definitives such as Petrino is a better coach.

My prediction is 7-5 at best 6-6 at worst.

Oh yeah, if there is a surprise win on that schedule (and I'm not predicting it) it would likely be against your beloved Gators. UF has four losses on their schedule this year at a minimum in LSU, UGA, USC(e) and FSU. You should maybe be a little worried about The U also.

Rock_E_Topp88 writes:

in response to BolivrBob:

What he said.

SevenT writes:

This Butch Jones worship stuff is truly comical.

Just look at this Butch Jones song idiot

jaydubuc writes:

This time last year, nobody was talking about ND and no one heard of Manziel. I seriously doubt we have a team headed for a NC let alone playing in the SEC championship. Nor do I believe we have a hidden gem destined for a heisman. But like the beginning of any season, there are unknowns that come to life as the season unfolds. Here's to hoping the Vols unknowns are good ones. I'm confident last season was the worst we'll see for some time. And they will upset somebody this season. Game week is here! Go Vols!

SBWB2 writes:

What a terrible article... First sentence doesn't even make sense... Being in Nashville, good to know there is someone as bad as Cilmer.

seniordrill writes:

7-5 with an upset. 4th most efficient coach in the nation behind only Nick Saban, Les Miles, and Brian Kelly! Give me a break, Adams!

dragon18 writes:

in response to NowHearThis:

Let it go Dude! The game had passed Fulmer by 4 years before he was let go. I have great respect and admiration for the man and what he accomplished but if you or anyone else thinks he can get it done in the SEC today you're deluded by the achievements of the 90's. Please join the the world of today and get behind our new coach.

Oh and by the way, I have heard interviews and watched these guys coach. As an ex D1 player myself, I can tell you these guys are a cut above what has been on campus since 2000. This staff can recruit, they can motivate and they can coach.

Rock_E_Topp88 writes:

in response to SevenT:

This Butch Jones worship stuff is truly comical.

Just look at this Butch Jones song idiot

Don't you idiots take at least one day off? You must have UT on your brain 24 X 7. How do you keep all those grill orders straight at the Waffle House?

gohawks1 writes:

On a related topic, John Adams hasn't had enough time to change his losing writing technique, either.

UTAlum88 (Inactive) writes:

This ridiculous article isn't even worth wasting energy to comment on....anyone know anything new on the status of the Berry twins decision(s)?

dragon18 writes:

in response to SevenT:

This Butch Jones worship stuff is truly comical.

Just look at this Butch Jones song idiot

Yeah..... That really sucks! Wish he wouldn't have done that. Definitely promotes the stereotype that has been created about UT fans.

fearthehound writes:

in response to BolivrBob:

Drugs are bad...m'kay?

BolivrBob writes:

in response to fearthehound:

Drugs are bad...m'kay?

HaHaHa........I just CAN'T say no

notorange writes:

Difficult to actually pick the record...a couple of good/bad bounces of the ol oblong ball could be the difference between 7-5 or better and 5-7 or worse..won't be long before the answer is revealed..

CoverOrange writes:

"The first two months of the schedule were loaded with nationally ranked teams, which UT probably couldn't have beaten even at the top of its game."

What? JA just said we were leading in the third qtr against Florida. We had Georgia on the ropes in the 4th, South Carolina on the ropes in the final minutes, we were slugging it out with MSU on the road toe to toe. All after Brian Randolph went down which changed the dynamics of the secondary from marginal to total disarray.

CoverOrange writes:

In evaluating a prediction you have to believe that sportswriters, being that it is their job, have the time and take the time to look closely at all teams, and the experience to make valid comparisons. Much more so than the average fan with their full time job elsewhere and only getting tidbits through the internet which is oh so reliable. I don't believe JA has the time much less takes the time. He is too busy pontificating and smirking at his own picks panel jokes to do real investigative research.

GOJO writes:

Did john ask sevenT to write this article? They soung alike.

AllforTenn writes:

in response to BruisedOrange:

Not being pessimistic... just offering IMHO a reasonable reality check:

Well thought out prediction. I would like an undefeated season or even seven or eight wins, but we must be realistic. 6-6 with improvement from the Austin Peay game through the Kentucky game will be an accomplishment.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Me too, Gerry..Rucker was such an unyielding sort that he basically singled me out because of difference in opinion. I've got no need to be paying for his egotistical rants, even under the time frame it is free of charge. BTW, Adams is right, Jones hasn't coached one game yet, but he's wrong about UT's overall talent. They are much more talented than coaching has shown thus far. UT will win 8 games and push some real heavy weights to the brink this year..Book it..GBO!!

BolivrBob writes: