Mike Strange: It's time to see how much rebuilding Butch Jones has done

University of Tennessee head coach Butch Jones during practice Monday, Aug. 5, 2013 at Haslam Field.   (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2013

University of Tennessee head coach Butch Jones during practice Monday, Aug. 5, 2013 at Haslam Field. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

For a span of 32 years, Tennessee had only two head football coaches, an uncommon run of stability in a volatile sport.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

Orange_Power_T writes:

Good article. Adams should hang with you for a few weeks to see if any of this could possibly rub off on him.

Vol_lover writes:

Adams should just hang. Tell him to go write for Bama

wononta writes:

I have heard enough of this 2nd, 3rd, 5th pick for head coach thing. Executive hiring isn't done like that. Others were interveiwed before CBJ because they were scheduled to be interveiwed before him. Not because of some non-existant pecking order. Sheesh...

ponkey writes:

one thing Jones has done that the previous two coaches couldn't get done was rebuild the fan base.....I know "fans" don't win ball games; but am certain 107,000 fans create energy that the players utilize (something we haven't seen at Neyland in a long time)........time for "Butchie Ball"....!!!

movol77 writes:

Great article! Love reading this stuff.

sameolvolalum writes:

Nice read. Coach Jones has ignored his detractors, looking instead at the imminent tasks at hand. Notice how not only he, but all championship caliber leaders don't tolerate dwelling on the dispersions which are tossed by those ubiquitous boat anchors; negative sports writers (JA), trolls, crybaby alums and benefactors, etc., etc., etc. I guess he figures that if you only stare at the snow, you're just going to wreck the sled. The "buying in" of UT's footballer team and staff began its nosedive in 1999 and hasn't seen anything but the looming ground ever since. That though, Vol fans, has changed. Here's to enjoying a new era of Tennessee football.....Butchie ball.....and to immutable respect given to the men wearing those white helmets with those big orange T's on them! VFL!

VolsFanInAfghanistan writes:

I'm so ready to talk Tennessee football again over here. Everywhere I go i'm asked if i'm a Tennessee fan, and I proudly say HELL YES!!!!! I look forward to Coach Butch Jones doing what he can to bring some new glory days to Tennessee football. We as fans just need to give him the chance to make those changes. 1 and done should be over with, and we should give this man every opportunity to make us great again. This year and next will be hard i'm sure, but improvement will also come as well. At least I get to watch the start of the season at home this year, super excited, win or lose!!! GBO VFL

bUTch_please writes:

This is a coach who wants to win here.
His staff wants to win here.
Coach Jones has won at every level and has come here to win as well.
We have 85 players who can win with this focused direction.

This is going to be a great season.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

I don't think the word "Rebuild" is adequate in describing UT. There are several areas this squad is overly stacked in talent, like WR, OL, Safety and DE?LB. If anything this job needs "Redistribution" of talent to get peak performance and team chemistry. That's where CBJ's will earn his pay by leveling out the talent or teaching those weak areas to play at a higher more proficient level. We'll see what kind of redistribution was done in the coming Saturday's.

Teresa writes:

Mike - the best writer around these parts. I don't know if I can read you in the future due to the pay site, but thanks for the many great columns you've written.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

We won't win the SEC or the East but I believe with all my heart that every team will know they have played a tough team and not laugh behind our backs.

NINEisgonnabeFINE writes:

in response to jandjhome#228397:

You're ut football. Others will always laugh at you.

And you are correct. ut will not win the East or the SEC. But all those moral victories will provide hours of celebration.

EIGHT!

NINEisgonnabeFINE writes:

in response to wononta:

Charlie Strong
Larry Fedora
Mike Gundy
John Gruden

Should I keep going? And this is just from the latest hire.

Last year Tee Martin wouldn't even "come home". He opted to stay with Lane Kiffin. That says alot.

History and Hope.

EIGHT!

underthehill writes:

in response to Orange_Power_T:

Jones will be judged by the product he puts on the field..not by what you, I, or any sports reporter says..

eVOLved writes:

Let's please stop talking about Charlie Strong. I thought he would be a great coach for us, and a great coach in the SEC. He didn't want the challenge, but CBJ did. CBJ acts like a winner, and it's just a matter of time before we're on another historic run.

tovolny writes:

in response to Teresa:

I agree, Mike is the real deal.

And, the pair of Jacks trying to run KNS is pathetic. I am still in shock to learn of their attempt at charging readers to view their stuff on line. I can't imagine anybody paying to read John Adams type stuff. I'll miss the Erin Chapin videos and interviews, and I'll miss Quin and some of the new guys. At some point, some enterprising young person will start a Big Orange web site and make millions. If I was under 50 years old, I would have already done it. If you could click on a site and read people like Mike Strange as opposed to paying a site that knows everything about you, including how much money you make per year, plus gathering information about your voting records,and hitting us with John Adams disses and darts, then where are you going to click.

You know though, this might be a good thing, because if the pair of Jacks get their way, KNS will fold and go floating down the Tennessee River with the rest of the grease and grime. This way John Adams will need to go back to the swamp lands of the Bayou. I can't imagine any news agency anywhere close to Knoxville hiring him. You know what they say, everything happens for the best.

in response to tovolny:

I agree, Mike is the real deal.

I guess I missed it, but what is this about a pay site? Will GVX as we have known it disappear? Has a decision about this been made or is it just something under discussion? You seem to know a lot about a whole lot of stuff, so I hope you can enlighten me about this.

maciste54 writes:

Yes please enlighten me too. I have a sub and can no longer access any articles or some comments. It was supposed to renew but it tells me my sub has expired. When I try t renew it won't let me. Mongolian cluster orgy !

in response to maciste54:

Gotta say the debut of the pay site has gotten off to a stumbling start. For the last couple of weeks at least, it has seemingly taken FOREVER to navigate around the site, and paying for it doesn't seem to have helped. I can also sympathize with the trouble you had renewing your subscription. A couple of months ago, my account was obliterated during a remote cleaning of my computer. When I tried to log back on, it said that my user ID was already in use. Well, DUH! It wouldn't recognize my old user name and password, but it wouldn't let me create another one. I saw no earthly reason why I couldn't just reregister under my old name, but I had to contact Jack Lail directly to get back on. Also, it seems that they are still keeping govols247 as ANOTHER pay site, no doubt for extra, EXTRA "premium" stuff. I'm watching you, KNS! So far, I am not terribly impressed(:-[)! And when I tried to access the "letter to our online readers" to state the above issues, it wasn't even available then! Gotta pick up your game, guys!