No suspense about starting QB, but Vols have decisions to make after Justin Worley

Vols' lineup behind Worley more uncertain

Amy Smotherman Burgess/News Sentinel

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Amy Smotherman Burgess/News Sentinel Tennessee quarterbacks, left to right, Riley Ferguson, Justin Worley, Nathan Peterman and Joshua Dobbs during preseason drills at Haslam Field earlier this month.

Coach Butch Jones unveils his depth chart Monday, and while there is little doubt about who the starting quarterback will be, the list of backups is quite intriguing.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

eVOLved writes:

Let's not forget Worley was the Gatorade Player of the Year as a HS senior. I'm looking forward to seeing him play. I'm also looking forward to seeing Dobbs play. Both smart guys.

Voltman writes:

in response to eVOLved:

Id rather see Ferguson play to Dobbs. Dobbs is smart but you cant teach natural ability.(plus he has an amazing winning attitude)

tennrich1 writes:

in response to eVOLved:

From what ive read Ferguson has really worked his way up the depth chart...he actually may be number 2....I guess we wait and see...

tre1181 writes:

Who ever it is just be smart with the ball. GBO!

tovolny writes:

What is good about the Tennessee football QB situation is that there IS ONE. I like all the young men. Each one brings something a little different. Worley is the smooth calm guy that you see quarterbacking a championship type team. Not extraordinary at anything but somewhat solid in all phases. Dobbs reminds me of Vince Young with his delivery and running style, and the word is out that the guy has the smart factor. We have smart phones, why not a smart quarterback. Riley Ferguson looks quicker and more deceptive than the others, plus he has a strong arm that will only get stronger. Peterman is solid all around and seems almost like a clone to Worley. I hope we get to see all these guys out on the field, under fire, and performing to best of their abilities. The starter for the Oregon game...(?)(?)(?)(?)...this is the real question.

UTVOLSFAN4LIFE writes:

Give me some of what tovolny is drinking. I love the optimism and hope you're right. GBO!

PhilthyPhil writes:

Based on the opinions shared here, is it safe to assume Peterman is the odd man out?

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to PhilthyPhil:

td writes:

There's an old adage about quarterbacks: if you have an older player and a younger player with "equal" ability, you play the younger one and use the older as the backup.

123forVOLS writes:

I am just ready for it to be here. My best case scenario would be Justin Worley as the man and Peterman behind him ready to go. That could cause the scenario of the two Freshmen getting to redshirt and be there for a number of years to come. But most of all, I want a qb who can run the new offense. Glad it is almost here. Let's be real though, even with WKU having Petrino, we will not know a whole lot about this team until the Oregon game. Meanwhile, I hope a lot of people get a lot of playing experience. We will need that come SEC time.
GO VOLS!

wagee12 writes:

Listen up Peckerwood, when you have two freshmen QBs, an effort is usually made to red-shirt one, thus staggering their classes. Mo Couch is playing the three technique with McCullers and is not battling anyone for the NT job. The other players there are Saulsberry and O'Brien.

clemvol writes:

This is why the coaches make the big bucks. They are with these guys every practice, every day. Again, don't ask the quarterback to win the game for you just make sure he's in control and doesn't lose the game for you. Just because of what sparse info we read or we hear or we see doesn't mean we are qualified nor are we going to get paid to make these decisions. I guess sometimes it's good for the soul to let out that we are the best arm chair coach in sports but really, lets all get a grip and enjoy this season for whatever it brings. GO VOLS

john316 writes:

Looks like Slash will make the Chiefs roster. The fourth string QB just got cut.

fearthehound writes:

in response to wagee12:

'Listen up', that's funny. That reminds me of the coaches in H.S., and it meant we had better stop what we're doing and listen up. What the kr@p does it mean coming from you?

I looked back at your posts and I couldn't find ONE that wasn't snarky and condescending. What's up with you--who are you? Another little know it all turd? Do we all need to 'listen up' to you? Tell us about it.

BTKidd writes:

in response to john316:

Don't be surprised if he ends up starting before the year is up. He has three times th

iowavol writes:

I'm not sure about all the previous comments regarding Worley, or his backup. All could be very accurate. I was calling for him to play more the last two years.

Yes, as ludicrous as it may seem, Worley would have been a better option than Bray. I get the fact that Bray has an NFL caliber arm, but Bray never actually managed the game. He always let raw talent make up for lack of....you name it. And then we would loose against teams we shouldn't have lost.

I'm all in on Worley and think he will be very good for the next couple of years. IMHO.

Tennessee_resurgence writes:

in response to john316:

After watching Worley for a couple of games I believe all the bray haters might wake up and realize how good he was. With an average defense on last years teams Bray would've been named the second coming of Peyton manning. Oh well I guess the qb gets all the blame, even if he's directing the most prolific passing attack in school history.

Tennessee_resurgence writes:

in response to iowavol:

Worley couldn't carry brays jock strap. He will be riding the pine by mid season.

BTKidd writes:

in response to Tennessee_resurgence:

They trashed Bray because he was the only one left to trash. Far be it from them to even question the worst coach in the history of UT. Worley has a below average arm, no mobility, and regularly throws late. They are singing his praises to advance the fallacy that their "dreamboat" left Jones a lot of talent.

fearthehound writes:

I've got a question, and it may be my last one, as I understand this is changing over to a pay site. I'm not sure I would want to subscribe to the KNS, as it would take the delivery person 14 hours to drop my paper off and get back home. I guess I could pay for the e version, but then I'd need to balance the value versus other pay sites. For one thing, I'd like to know, if I pay, would my site speed up? Since I'm paying, surely we could cut down on some of these ads with the ActiveX that takes forever to load.

Anyway. I got off on such a tangent, I almost forgot my question. But here it is, since KNS is the local paper, with cutting-edge crack reporters, why is it that ESPN broke the news that Worley is the starting QB? Does KNS only exist to post the meanderings of the senile John Adams, et al?

fearthehound writes:

in response to Tennessee_resurgence:

You know, there's always the possibility he could, but he just doesn't want to. I guess the job's still open if you want it.

huskyvol writes:

in response to fearthehound:

Come on over to volnation if you haven't already. You can find any info you need for free.

fearthehound writes:

in response to huskyvol:

Thanks.

ReeseHallRelic writes:

in response to BTKidd:

Just like Nuke LaLoosh in "Bull Durham": a million-dollar arm and a five-cent head.

(That was in reference to Bray, not you, ToddyBoi. You've got a five-cent arm and a penny head... only because there's no U.S. currency smaller than a penny.)

fearthehound writes:

in response to ReeseHallRelic:

funny

in response to fearthehound:

Well, I allowed them to sucker me into paying for this. Since I am a lifelong, die-hard Vol fan, I bit the bullet, but I am totally with you about the RIDICULOUSLY long loading times on here lately. Kinda makes me wonder why I both pay for highspeed internet AND GVX. Come on, guys! Surely there are faster ad-loading programs out there! It took almost TEN MINUTES for my signup to process. Lately it has taken me as much as FIVE minutes to navigate from one place on the site to another. If you are going to charge for this service, make it WORK like we are all in the 21st Century! DANG!

in response to huskyvol:

Can you provide a URL? I had become accustomed to GVX, so I went ahead and bought it, but I would happily entertain alternatives.