Peterman is listed second on QB depth chart for opener

University of Tennessee quarterbacks, left to right, Justin Worley, Nathan Peterman, Riley Ferguson and Joshua Dobbs, during pre-training camp at Haslam Field, Saturday, Aug. 3, 2013. (Amy Smotherman Burgess/News Sentinel)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Butch Jones doesn't want newly named starting QB Justin Worley looking over his shoulder.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Snapshot writes:

I hope Worley makes the most of his opportunity. I thought Peterman might get the nod. From what I saw their passing seemed to be pretty equal with Peterman the better runner. Time will tell. GBO!

underthehill writes:

I am more concerned about Jones knowing the opponents are going to target the CB's..than the QB position..I think Worley is better than most think ..and the reason being..he was such a winner in HS..players with his HS record are usually gamers..they play better in games than practice...

bUTch__please writes:

Hope Worley knows the team is looking for him to turn on the jets and take charge of this offense. Their playmaking abilities will reflect his mindset and leadership. Time for him to step up if we're to hold our own against the Oregons and Georgias of the world.

Yea, Coach Jones know his corners are sitting ducks. Give him credit on a couple things anyway. First, he's letting his natural safeties play safety, not pulling them out of position to fill a need and take away their ability to play with quickness. Second, he knows our corners are only as safe as our DL is strong. He's put a tremendous focus on getting four man pressure. From where I sit, our best player on pass defense is McCullers.

ewoodbery (staff) writes:

in response to Snapshot:

Peterman does seem the better fit for running a lot of read-option type plays. I think the fact that Worley won *despite* that shows that he has a pretty healthy lead.

Jones has used different types of QBs in his previous stops. So we'll see...

-- Evan

ewoodbery (staff) writes:

in response to bUTch__please:

I think you're right on both counts.

Cam Sutton will be targeted from Day 1, and I'm sure he knows that. It will be trial by fire.

-- Evan

johndavid writes:

I keep thinking about DOBBS and Ferguson. I hope we dont waste a redshirt on 1 of them for a few plays here and there, but 4 yrs of 2 great QBS with the ability to run/pass would be better than 1 leaving due to lack of playing time. I hope Worley is significantly better if those 2 Freshman are on the bench.

jandjhome#228397 writes:

This is great, I was a member when we paid before, this will reduce Dog, Elephant and Gator garbage. Go Big Orange

in response to ewoodbery:

Jones has used different types of QBs in his previous stops. So we'll see...

-- Evan

Evan, many thanks for coming on here to speak to posters directly. I am one of many who really enjoy your articles, and hope that you will continue to interact with us. Nudge Brendan in that direction as well.

in response to johndavid:

This is why coaches get paid the big bucks. There are always a multitude of factors that go into deciding who will play where, when, and how much. I just hope everybody can rise above the internal competitive dynamics to give whoever is playing all the support they can muster. We wouldn't want guys on the team who are afraid of competition, but we DO need them all to feel that they are each being treated fairly and to encourage each other.

in response to jandjhome#228397:

Hard to imagine that this will remain a troll-free zone forever, but I must say that the change is refreshing. I confess I will miss the occasional intelligent and fair-minded visitor from another fan base, but it is nice that the "drivel quotient" is WAY down on here for now.

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Sounds like a very good idea..I have been hopful this would become an intelligent site to discuss sports and get away from the personal and political junk..looks to me like steps in the right direction..I join John re: the interaction..

in response to underthehill:

Yeah, this might be a way to drive up the site membership. I would consider it a worthwhile perk to justify paying for what we used to get for free. Since it appears that KNS has inexplicably continued to charge extra for GoVols247, they ought to do SOMETHING to add value to the site, and regular visits by the reporters might be just the thing.

STEELMAN4VOLS writes:

Yes, it's good to have staff input like Evan's, and maybe the change to a pay site will lead to more good, level-headed comments from fans than some of the silly troll stuff - although those could be entertaining at times.