Depth chart confirms Justin Worley named Vols starting QB

Corey Miller, Jordan Williams named defensive ends

MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2013

MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL Tennessee quarterback Justin Worley looks to pass during a practice at Haslam Field.

UT quarterbacks take part in first preseason practice

Junior quarterback Justin Worley will get the first chance to lead Tennessee’s offense in 2013.

Worley, who was No. 1 quarterback throughout spring practice and this month’s training camp, was officially named the starter by head coach Butch Jones on Monday.

The new depth chart released Monday listed redshirt freshman Nathan Peterman as No. 2. The two true freshmen quarterbacks, Riley Ferguson and Josh Dobbs, were not listed.

At running back, senior Rajion Neal beat out Marlin Lane, who has missed parts of camp due to injury and was suspended during the spring.

Cameron Sutton was named starting cornerback, one of three true freshmen players to win at least part of a starting job. Sutton was considered the favorite after junior college transfer Riyahd Jones went down with an injury.

At receiver, true freshman Marquez North is listed as starter along with sophomore Alton "Pig" Howard. Redshirt freshman Jason Croom and true freshman Josh Smith are slotted as co-starters.

North and Smith have never played a college game. Croom played only three games last year before taking a medical redshirt, but did not register a catch. Howard caught 13 passes for 54 yards in 2012.

With Curtis Maggitt still recovering from an offseason ACL surgery, Brent Brewer will join Dontavis Sapp and A.J. Johnson at linebacker in the first-team lineup.

On the defensive line, Corey Miller and Jordan Williams were named starting ends, with seniors Daniel Hood and Daniel McCullers on the inside.

Senior Michael Palardy was named starting punter and placekicker.

UT has posted a full depth chart here.

Evan Woodbery covers Tennessee football. Follow him on Twitter.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

bUTch__please writes:

Alright..here we go.
Make it happen Justin.

Go TEAM #117! Beat the Peay out of 'em!

gc_scvol writes:

Looks good to me. I trust CBJ. Now, let's all be patient and let the young men show us and the rest of the SEC what they can do. I feel like we are headed in the right direction and can't wait until Sat. to see me some TENNESSEE FOOTBALL. Also KNS, I was out of town for the weekend (Bristol), and just saw the change on the web site this morning. Thanks. I like it this way. Now, just remember, it doesn't hurt to be a Homey sportswriter. We know about the past, lets hear about what's happening now. As long as the articles are good and the Trolls stay away, I'll be a subscriber, now it really means something if one cancels their subscription because of the trolls and bad articles. You all keep it worth the money, and I'll keep paying it. When this site gets to where I read about 1-7 and Alabubba every day. I'll take my little bit of money and go somewhere else.

underthehill writes:

I like it this way also because I think it will have people who talk more UT sports and less political, religious, and personal comments..so let us talk football..I believe this coaching staff will have this team ready to play to the best of their talent level..whatever that is..and I am ready to see what that level is..starting against W Ky..the Peay game should be just a tune up..

bUTch__please writes:

in response to underthehill:

Well said. Our schedule fits this teams needs for the first games. Peay is a perfect opportunity for the coaches to teach their game week expectations and get a solid feel for who is a "gamer" in the depth chart. This team hasn't run the 12 second offense for extended periods and Peay will be the perfect victim for it. Likewise, the defense needs a game in the 4-3 to settle into their roles. WK will ramp up the level of competition and energy without being too much to reasonably handle. Their faster paced offense will help our defense see better in Eugene, having dealt with a quicker pace the week before.

vq4nfo writes:

Good choice, has the arm and experience.

gc_scvol writes:

I believe experience to be the key in this situation. Good call for now, but maybe more tallent in other QB's will win out in time. But, given time ,Worley could turn out to be a lot better than we think he is. Only time will tell. But I think Butch and his staff know a lot more than I about this situation, so I'll trust them. GBO ALL VOL...ALL THE TIME..On another note: The trolls won't pay to whine and stir up trouble, and as the site quality increases, so will the membership. Hang in there KNS and make it work.

in response to gc_scvol:

Some good comments by you and others about the QB situation. I too think Worley will do a credible job; hard to imagine that the Gatorade Player of the Year can't do well in college ball.

As to your other point, I surely HOPE the number of true fans picks up on the site. So far, comments have been pretty thin on the ground, though the lack--so far!--of troll drivel is refreshing. I guess it's up to "we happy few" to keep the beacon alit for our Vol brethren who have yet to find their way back to us.