Mike Strange: It's a good time to be a walk-on at Tennessee

Mike Strange

(SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Saul Young

Tennessee defensive backs JaRon Toney, right, and Devaun Swafford run drills during practice at Haslam Field on Friday, August 2, 2013. (SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

Mike Strange: After the revealing of the depth chart, it's clear that it's good time to be a walk-on at Tennessee

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

wigmeister writes:

Really impressed so far with this coaching staff.

Snapshot writes:

We better hope that secondary stays healthy. Certainly not the ideal situation having to start freshman and walk-ons as backups. Hopefully in a couple of years the depth will be much better. GBO!

BrassMonkey writes:

Prove it on the field and I will be impressed with the coaching staff. Too many gave Dooley a free pass for too long based on absolutley no results.

underthehill writes:

in response to BrassMonkey:

No question you are right about..prove it on the field..but from what I can tell..it's gonna take more players than walk-ons to get it done..when the corners are freshmen and walk-ons..it says a lot about the guys already on the roster..ain't much..

bUTch__please writes:

From what I watched last year, any walk on who can stay within 3 yards of an opponents receiver and wrap up a tackle...has my vote for an immediate promotion to scholarship status. It might look worse on paper, but ain't no way they can play worse.

johndavid writes:

Are any walk-ons listed ahead of a healthy scholarship player?

Congratulations and gratitude to all the "true Volunteers" who are rallying to the Vol cause in its hour of greatest need. Just because a guy wasn't highly recruited doesn't mean he just can't play. Walk-ons often bring a level of determination and enthusiasm to a team that disillusioned veterans can sometimes lack. If the truth were known, I'll bet most of us would be astounded at how many guys have graced NFL rosters over the years who started out as walk-ons in college or migrants from other sports.

That said, it speaks volumes for the lack of depth and talent at several key positions. A whole bunch of guys are going to have to play beyond what most think of as their potential to play at this level. They will have to take some lumps to hang in against the kind of competition the Vols face year in and year out. If the young, green ones can survive and find a measure of success this year, they can help form the backbone and beating heart of a champion in the coming years. All honor to the "true Volunteers"!

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I was hoping you would continue on this site..you always appear to give reasons for your opinions..and whether I agree or not ..I find them interesting...

in response to underthehill:

Thanks for the kind words. The latest mind research seems to show that most of the time we make up our minds first and then come up with reasons to support the judgments we have already made. I guess I do the same thing, but at least I don't deny that my opinions about the Vols arise out of my fandom, even though I like to think of myself as more rational than that.

I always find your comments to be thought-provoking as well. It is nice that the board seems pretty troll-free--so far!--but I'm afraid we've lost some good solid true fans along the way. Let's hope more of those find their way back to us. In the meantime, I guess we'll just have to keep talking to each other!