John Adams: UT deserves playing Austin Peay in opener

John Adams

John Adams: With a brutal schedule every season, Tennessee deserves a team like Austin Peay in its opener.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

MikeNPS writes:

Sorry, John, but UT should NEVER play the likes of Austin Peay. And UT fans should not be subjected to the ramblings of an empty-headed writer like John Adams. By employing John Adams, the News Sentinel is sending the message that it has no standards whatsoever.

rockypop writes:

While I realize that Tennessee, or any other BCS program, should not schedule four tough non-conference opponents every year, it sure seems like Tennessee can strike a better balance to both entice the fans to show up and better prepare the team for future SEC opponents.

This year UT goes from elite Oregon to lowly AP, S. Alabama and W. Kentucky. Next year, the non-conference schedule seems more balanced to help UT prepare for the SEC with Oklahoma, Ark. State and Utah State. Chattanooga is a throwaway.

Early games against low-level competition are probably designed to create confidence, but ultimately, end up creating a false sense of security. Say what you will about Notre Dame, but typically, they play an entire schedule against BCS competition. Not all top-tier, of course, but nevertheless, BCS teams. So. Cal also plays a competitive non-conference schedule very year.

Getting to play a bunch of guys against weak competition isn't really preparing them for big-time SEC or BCS teams. So, raise the level of non-conference competition just enough to reach a minimum level of preparedness for SEC play.

mrnole1413#235470 writes:

Tennessee's non-conference schedule is typical of many major programs and it is only right that at least one of those paydays goes to an in-state program

h8FLORIDA writes:

John - I disagree with your wife's use of 'we' in her statement 'Why don't we just play Halls?'. To my knowledge she never played for Tennessee and she married an LSU alumn. Somehow I seriously doubt that the Adams household ever cheers for Tennessee.

fannotsheep writes:

Don't know John's wife, but lots of people are UT fans who didn't go to the school. Me for instance. My dad worked there, but I'd have been a fan even if he hadn't. UT football is the biggest social event, best entertainment (when they are competitive) and top water cooler conversation in the region.

Anyway, I don't think "we" should play Austin Peay very often but once in a few decades isn't going to change the world too much. AP gets a big check and the Vols get a much needed win. No big deal.

MikeNPS writes:

I contend that a contributing factor to the decline in season ticket sales has been the non-conference schedule. Yes, failure to field a winning team has been the key factor, but I still think that people are reluctant to shell out money for a season ticket package that includes Austin Peay, Western Kentucky and South Alabama.

fannotsheep writes:

1. You don't need to be an alum to be a Vol fan. It's the biggest sports/entertainment/conversation topic/almost religion in East Tennessee.

2. Austin Peay gets a big check, Vols get an easy win and hopefully nobody gets seriously hurt.

3. Let's don't make a habit of it. Don't want UT playing Maryville College, Maryville High School or any of Maryville's fine elementary schools.

4. A prediction: When Vols start winning against the SEC again, all these problems will magically go away.

in response to mrnole1413#235470:

I have always said that as long as UT is going to play lower-tier teams--and as you said they are not alone in this--they should ALL be against in-state teams. All the other big state schools should do the same. Not only does all the money remain in the state, boosting the programs of our friends and neighbors, there should be more interest from the fans of those schools to come and help us fill the stadium. The media in the hometowns of those schools would have more stories about UT, which could help recruiting. That may be a reason why the UTAD schedules games against out-of-state opponents--to be more visible in more talent-rich parts of the country. Other than that, I just don't see the downside of taking the in-state approach, as long--once again--as all the other schools in the conference and in upper-level college football generally keep scheduling teams of a much lower level.

in response to MikeNPS:

The best solution, IMHO, to the problem of paying to see inferior competition is to DRASTICALLY lower the ticket prices, adjusting the cost of the season-ticket package each year according to the quality of the offering and the demand for tickets. It is not "cheapening the brand", as some marketing people might claim--"the brand" is ALREADY cheapened by scheduling these teams in the first place. It is about building and retaining interest in the program, filling otherwise empty seats, helping hotels and restaurants--whose sales taxes also benefit the university and the community--and selling concessions, team-related gear, and parking spaces. People who actually come to the games spend money that helps the community, while people who just sit at home to avoid paying "too much" for inferior games don't contribute anything at all to the school OR the community.

in response to fannotsheep:

No doubt in my mind that you are right about all of this.

fannotsheep writes:

in response to johnlg00:

No doubt in my mind that you are right about all of this.

Especially the elementary schools (I hope) --

Hardest part for me was figuring out this new-fangled log-on and such.

ScotsIrishAmerican writes:

in response to h8FLORIDA:

"Somehow I seriously doubt that" you are a UT letterman, either. FYI, Mrs. Adams is an East Tennessean and frequently attends games, where she cheers for the Vols.

johndavid writes:

Playing Memphis, Chattanooga, MTSU OR any other almost guaranteed win would help our program alot more right now than going out to Oregon and losing by 1 or 50, or losing at home to Oklahoma or Oregon. We have several chances for signature wins on the schedule, we need wins and a bowl game. There are dozens of programs considered in better shape than us right now that would be in worse shape than us if they had played our schedule the last 5 years.

h8FLORIDA writes:

in response to ScotsIrishAmerican:

No, I am not a letterman from UT, and that's precisely why I don't use 'we' to refer to Tennessee football. I am a UTK graduate and season ticket holder. I love UT, but unless you played for the school there is no 'we', you're just a fan.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to h8FLORIDA:

Gotta disagree on that one. I never played for or graduated from UT, but I think after 60 years of loyalty and $, I'm pretty sure I can use we when I speak of MY TENNESSEE VOLS. IMHO

gc_scvol writes:

in response to ScotsIrishAmerican:

I know that has to make John angry.

boze7937#1422011 writes:

you dont have to be a UT grad to use the word "WE" when talking about Tennessee football or any ut program, if your a Tennessee fan .

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

Agree with you.As an ETSU alum(and proud to be so) I have been a season ticket holder at UT for 37 years. I have a lot of time and money invested so I say WE when talking about MY VOLS.

goobervol writes:

in response to h8FLORIDA:

h8 I did not play for Tenn & I did not go to school there and I married a girl from Ohio but I have been a vol fan since 1950

goobervol writes:

in response to goobervol:

ps. WE cheer for the vols

It's kinda funny to me when people want to quibble over what the requirements are to be a fan. Sports fandom is almost as random as love--you can't always explain it but you usually know it when you feel it. Sometimes you fall in love with the boy or girl next door; sometimes you go many miles and years in life before you find "the one". And very few of us would or should give a whole LOT of credence to what others think about the people and teams we love.

Also, very few people who use "we" in referring to a sports team are delusional enough to believe that they actually have anything to do with how the team performs or that they have as much invested in the outcome as the players and coaches. However, ask yourself the following: Does the outcome of a game involving "your" team have any affect on your mood? If it does, you are a fan--end of story. I would surely hope that NO fan is as seriously affected by the outcome of a game as the players and coaches are; you know, the ones who sweat and bleed and sacrifice to produce the outcome in the first place. And besides, even as fans we don't want the players and coaches to be as affected by the outcome of one game as we fans sometimes seem to be. We would hope that "our" team doesn't get giddy over wins or despondent over losses, so we should probably cultivate the ability to stay on a relatively even keel following games as fans.