Mike Strange: Are you ready for some football? I am

Mike Strange
Tennessee linebacker Nick Reveiz calls for fans to make noise as they paly UT Martin at Neyland Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 4, 2010.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Wednesday night when I got home from work, I flipped between “House Hunters” and “Coast Guard Alaska.” Tuesday night, it was Walter Matthau foiling a subway heist.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

underthehill writes:

The Vandy - Ole Miss game could be the most important game in the history of Vandy football..and yet it is reported to not be a "sell-out"..not good for Vandy and could well lead to cause Franklin to look elsewhere for employment if this becomes a trend..Vandy being a 3.5 underdog is also a surprise to me since they are the home team and Ole Miss is reported to be going with several freshmen..I see the game as a tossup but Vandy should have the edge since they are the home team..

bUTch__please writes:

in response to underthehill:

Agree that Franklin is exhibiting a burn-out demeanor. I've gotten more than a few chuckles from Franklins pouts on the attendance issues. Have seen very few successful marketing programs that are based on a petulant, demanding sales tack. He is a fish out of water...no public relations acumen in Nashville, the public relations capital of the south. Go Ole Miss!

Me, too, Mike! Time to start seeing what CBJ's Vols look like on the field. Even if APSU is as weak as everybody says, it will still be nice to see if the Vols can consistently line up right on both offense and defense, can avoid penalties and turnovers, can move the ball both in the air and on the ground, and how deep they can go into the depth chart. Just being able to do those things consistently will be a marked improvement over what we have been seeing for the last several seasons. We should be able to get pretty good initial reads on those things regardless of the level of competition.

GerryOP writes:

in response to johnlg00:

The wait is almost over! So far, Coach Jones has done everything right. Just one more wicket to get through, winning FB games, before his stature as UT Head Football Coach is established. I still say 8-4, like the team I want 12-0, and I know our footVols are going to surprise quite a few people this year.

It's great... to be... a Tennessee Vol!

underthehill writes:

in response to GerryOP:

It's great... to be... a Tennessee Vol!

OP..good to see you still on here..don't always agree with you or John but find your writing interesting..I am saying 6-6 and hoping for better..and I ain't being critical of your 8-4 ..I just don't see that much talent..especially at wide receivers and DB's ..don't think this game will be any real indicator of much ..W Ky will be..

GerryOP writes:

in response to underthehill:

Yup, I'm still here. Don't agree with what KNS is doing, but still like their site. Maybe they will come up with a GVX-only option. Like I said to them, living 800 miles away I'm not really too interested in paying for Knoxville news or reading Knoxville ads. We'll see!

Yes, we have disagreed, but hopefully we were generally civil in our disagreements. I agree we appear a bit weak on "proven" talent, but this Jones-boy seems to be able to bring the best to the surface. A prediction? Who knows! Right now, since we have never seen this team, or any '13 team, in action, who the hell knows? But, as I have said many times, I think this team is going to surprise a lot of people.

All I can say is I hope "my" prediction is closer to being right than "yours" is! I also hope that everyone associated with this team-- players, coaches, trainers, water-boys, etc -- believe that every game is winnable and 12-0 is not impossible. If they don't, kick'em off the team!

underthehill writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Have to agree you need to feel every game is winnable and compete accordingly..it is the attitude of winners..but I also have heard about taking a knife to a gunfight...