Butch Jones makes Tennessee debut against Austin Peay

Opener offers opportunity to evaluate effort

(SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Saul Young

Tennessee head football coach Butch Jones holds practice on Haslam Field on Friday, August 2, 2013. (SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

Among the 90,000 fans at Neyland Stadium on Saturday will be a few special guests from Saugatuck, Mich.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

jandjhome#228397 writes:

We have our coach, I am convinced he will lead us to respectability in time.

formervol1950s writes:

Question : Define Butch Jones

Answer : Class

maciste54 writes:

As real Tennessee fans lets resolve ourselves to not respond to trolls and naysayers in a way that feeds their negative attention seeking. Also let's not put up with unwarranted criticism of a first year coach and be positive no matter the record this year. Everyone has a right to express their opinion obviously but real fans will give this guy time much in the same way we gave Dooley time. I expect completely different results from Jones. Got a good feeling about this. I had early trepidations about Dooley.

in response to maciste54:

This comment might have been more valid a week ago. Since GVX became a pay site, I have seen only about a dozen or so pretty die-hard fans on here and none of our more familiar trolls and negaVols, unless they have changed their screen names and are sandbagging us now. All the present crowd feels pretty much the same as you do about giving Jones the time he needs. I don't expect the Vols to be strongly contending until the 2015 season, though they might surprise some people in the meantime.

STLVOLS writes:

Been a while-I like Butch Jones but objective Vol fans such as myself have learned to be patient. The Western Kentucky game should be better. As you know, they beat Kentucky. In November, please no fiasco of losing to Missouri again. Most of my fans are Mizzou grads. 1975 Vol grad here.

STLVOLS writes:

I meant friends. Live in St. Louis burbs here.