Tennessee report card: Vols' performance offers something to build on

Amy Smotherman Burgess/News Sentinel

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Amy Smotherman Burgess/News Sentinel Tennessee defensive coordinator John Jancek, left, head coach Butch Jones, center, and offensive line coach Don Mahoney signal to players during the second half Saturday against Austin Peay.

Quarterbacks A: Justin Worley was boringly efficient in Tennessee’s 45-0 win on Saturday, which is exactly what Tennessee wants him to be. He threw only two incomplete passes and didn’t toss an interception — or even come close to it. He showed some mobility, although hardly enough to scare SEC opponents. In relief, Nathan Peterman didn’t look as sharp with a less-talented supporting cast.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

Related Stories

squirellman writes:

Not sure where you would grade it.. but 0 penalties. 0! When was the last time that happened?

Orange_Power_T writes:

Evan makes very powerful statements that are more profound than even he realizes.
On the good side: "Even the youngsters looked prepared and confident" Compared to the previous three years, this was like watching an entirely different team. No guessing on lining up, no confusion getting on the field, and no fatally blown coverage's. The game plan was simple and based on execution.
The down side: "if Neal and Lane stay healthy" I think that goes for all units on this team. Not that CBJ has a talent pool he can draw from, but the drop off from first team to below is huge. Although well coached, the level of talent just isn't there. CBJ will fix this with future recruiting classes but there is no immediate fix. Don't get me wrong, there are a few very talented players who will blossom in the years to come, but not enough to become a supporting cast that can take over. Example, compare the starting O line to their replacements.

Overall, even Stevie Wonder could see the impact that CBJ has made and will continue to make in the years to come. Zero penalties in the first game should be a huge indicator. Focused and well prepared. We are not contenders yet, but we are definitely headed in the right direction.

ChrisK writes:

Jumping on the bandwagon. We have lived here over 12 years and have been indifferent about the Vols. I really like what the new coaching staff is saying and doing with this team and find myself pulling for the Vols like I never have before. I think Jones and crew are the fix the Vols have been looking for in the long run. Going to be a tough year with that schedule but these guys are winners.

knoxchatter writes:

great start to rebuilding! Great things to come!!

in response to ChrisK:

Well said. I hope there are many more like you out there making a similar journey to Vol fandom. Anybody who loves college football almost has to like Jones and staff. They don't seem to put on airs or talk BS. They don't act like prima-donna "artistes" or "blood-n-thunder" Neanderthals, they act like skilled craftsmen who take pride in their work. They seem genuinely excited to be at UT and seem to leave no stone unturned in order to stay as long as they can.

OrangePride writes:

To be fair, I am looking primarily at the first half and would give every unit except the secondary and A. The secondary would be a B+ simply because they did get exposed a couple of times with loose coverage and one outright blown assignment on a sideline pattern. Special teams might be an A- because they did lose their containment edge on two kickoffs, but great kicking job. All in all, this was the most organized, fundamentally sound game I've seen turned in (regardless of competition) in quite some time. But now the dress rehearsal is done and we get a better test next week. GREAT JOB VOLS!

UT4prez writes:

I'm glad a lot of the stupid nonsense is gone from this board but now there are almost no comments. I wish some of the good posters would find their way back.

UT looked great against an obviously inferior opponent. Still, they were focused and prepared. Having no penalties is awesome. Having no injuries is even better! I can't wait to see how we do against a respectable Western KY team. I knew they had a good RB but was surprised to hear from Coach Jones this morning about their NFL-caliber defensive players.

The only worry from the game yesterday is the passing attack. Worley completed 11 passes for just over 100 yards and even the completions seemed to be a little off target. The receivers were so open it didn't matter. We will learn more this weekend. He certainly has talent and I'm pinning it on him but so much can cause a QB to look off that is out of his control. As long as we establish the run then our passing game will open up.

No matter what it will be a fun year and I don't believe we will ever see this team unprepared. We should see sound fundamentals and smart football week in and week out with good effort. Do the little things and the big things will follow. Go Vols!

underthehill writes:

in response to UT4prez:

I too am glad the stupid nonsense is gone and hope we get lots of fans wanting to talk football..re: the respectable W Ky..I watched a lot of the game with Ky and thought the score was no indicator of how much better W Ky was ..I thought they were dominant ..their 2nd running back was as good as their #1..they had an adequate QB who looked better than his talent due the route running of his receivers and the play calling..I am interested to see the Vegas line..I do think UT will be favored .... and I do think it will be a very interesting comparison of game plans and play calls..I expect the Vols to have more success running than passing..

writer#358485 writes:

I too have noticed the drop-off in comments. I suspect having to pay for a subscription now has a lot to do with that. I doubt very many "trolls" will be interested in doing that to comment on another team's site. Still, I'm like you, I hope more Vol fans do show up!

GerryOP writes:

This game was as expected. The 1st team performed admirally, no mistakes, and no "glory-hole" individual performances. They did there job, didn't "create" any messes, and "punched the time clock" and went home. The 2nd team showed why they are the 2nd team ... they will learn. They all have stuff to learn and that Jones-boy and his staff will be busy. It was a good "scrimmage" ... bring on WKU.

One down 11 to go. These guys are going to surprise a lot of people this year. 8-4 ... or better.

fannotsheep writes:

Maybe some people will comment now that the hateful idiots are gone. No one really enjoys total nonsense and profanity-laced tirades.

But I fear that many of the online posters are not print readers, and I think lots of the people commenting were not UT fans at all. Most Gators are not going to pay for the pleasure of irritating other people 600 miles away when they surely do the same thing at home for free.

I hope the News Sentinel is able to continue publishing a print edition, and maybe with all the UT fans, and the huge investment Scripps made in the print facilities a decade ago, they will. Citizens of Birmingham, Mobile and New Orleans no longer have the option of reading a daily newspaper with their breakfast. And that's a shame.

allvol8 writes:

in response to UT4prez:

I am enjoying all the comments on here. So glad the trolls aren't here. I enjoyed what I saw last night. You all are right this a very disciplined team! GBO!

underthehill writes:

in response to fannotsheep:

The disrespect and ignorance of the value of KNS by some previous posters really irritated me..I share your hope the New Sentinel will always continue.. I really enjoy my morning paper while having a cup of coffee..

not_guilty writes:

in response to GerryOP:

This post contains a reference far and away more vulgar than many words that get blocked by the filtering program.

GerryOP writes:

in response to not_guilty:

Not sure what bothers you, no vulgarism meant. Sorry...

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

in response to writer#358485:

The fact that one doesn't have to sort thru all the rubbish posted by the trolls is a real positive aspect of this new arrangement. I live in Florida and have to live daily with some of the most irradiating Ba-ho's God ever created and the fact that I don't have to deal with their trivia on this site is a real blessing.

in response to GerryOP:

Not sure what bothers you, no vulgarism meant. Sorry...

Let's just say that "glory-hole" has a meaning that a person as obviously well-bred as yourself might not have suspected.

in response to underthehill:

We must be among the dwindling number of people who still take a daily newspaper. I'm just sorry I live too far away for it to be the KNS, for all its faults. I don't see much future for GVX as a pay site, ESPECIALLY since KNS seems intent on continuing to charge extra for Govols247. Maybe it's just me, but if I were taking such a drastic step, I would put EVERYTHING I HAD on the pay service to give subscribers as much value for the money as possible. I don't know the economics of the free site before, but even the worst of the interlopers often indicated that GVX was among the best sites of the type anywhere. Too bad they couldn't leave well enough alone, though I guess appearances could be deceiving.

Maybe, if they hang on long enough, more people will join as basketball season nears, since the outlook for both UT teams is much brighter than it is for football right now. However, even when the site was still free, football comments outnumbered basketball comments by about five or ten to one, so there may not be much help from that direction.

I mourn the impending demise of the newspaper industry as we have come to know it for a LOT of reasons, and I can't blame KNS and other papers for trying desperate measures to survive economically, but this latest move seems self-defeating from my admittedly uninformed point of view.

gc_scvol writes:

Truly well disciplined team. As our talent level rises, so will our rankings. Love the new site with no trolls. GBO... ALL VOL. ALL THE TIME.

underthehill writes:

I don't know if it was considered or not but I can see how the site could have continued as it was with more monitoring.. the ignorant comments were harmful in many ways..to UT sports and KNS..

mekleiman#1425283 (Inactive) writes:

WKU is a perfect game for us as we get ready for a brutal stretch of the schedule. I really we hope we can build on the momentum of this game and turn in another dominating performance...

Love this time of year... Always filled with hope! I'm finding I have more of it this year than in the past few though. Any guesses as to the betting line next week? I'm thinking Vols by 9.

in response to underthehill:

Sad to say, as much as some of us urged the others not to respond to the trolls, they would seem to have driven the hit count way up. Being troll-free is nice and all, but the continued absence of so many good, loyal Vol fans has left the site with a serious case of the doldrums.

I hope the powers-that-be are seriously debating the wisdom of this change--in particular in terms of what is being delivered and how; looking at you, administrators of Govols247--because I don't see how it would be worth anybody's while--readers AND advertisers--to continue indefinitely at this level. I seem to remember that a previous attempt to force everybody to pay for admission to this forum didn't last long. Did all you KNS editors not remember that, or has your situation become that much more serious since then? If so, exactly how did you think this would help THIS time?

sadim13tn#1425307 writes:

EIGHT HUNDRED WINS! WOW! I'm an ol'timer around here. Seen the General, Johnny M., hacksaw, and all in between. I'm ready for a NEW BEGINNING! Win #801 would be a great start for Sat.

GerryOP writes:

in response to johnlg00:

OK john, I Googled it and see the problem. And, no, never heard of the Google definition! I was looking for a substitute for "hot-dogging" or "show-boating!" Sorry...

BTW, I read with intrest you guys' comments on the "new" GVX. And like you, I really like the GXV form factor. That's why I have stuck with GVX since "way back in the day." Simply put, it is enjoyable. Actually, a few of us (pdhuff, tommyjack, murrayvol, and a guy from ATL) got together a few years back and went to Kiffen's O&W Game!

Today I think we are suffering from the fact that most KNS execs came to the top via the newspaper industry. And what is the driving factor in that industry? Newspaper subscriptions! And they are trying to tie their digital business into that paradigm.

I did write to Mr. Birmingham suggesting that 800 miles away I was not too interestd in K'ville news and ads... @$12/month. I also suggested that GVX247 has an uncomfortabe form-factor (and an arrogant Wes Rucker) and asked them to consider a pay-for-play GVX-only priced at something like $6 per month/$60 per year. They did reply with "...GVX-only subscription might be available in the future... we do not have that currently available... we are offering 2 months for the price of 1... check on the site periodically in case we have any special offers available... (GVX only) might be a possibility..." So there may be some changes in the future.

Anyway, glad to see some familiar "faces" and, until they tended to get out of hand, some of the interlopers were tolerable. Lil' ZZGataBoy comes to mind. We've been "duelling" for many years.

Peace Vol brother!

It's great... to be... a Tennessee Vol.

volbald writes:

Brick-by-brick. Decided to take the leap and subscribe for a while. Main concern is QB Worley's repeatedly throwing behind the receivers. Hope practice will help that because WKy looked really tough as they beat Ky. And it was a beating. Right now a fast SEC secondary would be more than we can handle. Keep coaching them up Butch.

in response to volbald:

Welcome to our plucky little band! May our tribe continue to increase! Like this year's footVols, we will try to make up in quality what we currently lack in quantity.

Agree about Worley's apparent timing problem. I'm sure he was under orders to make sure of each throw, so he was probably trying to "aim" the ball a bit too much instead of trusting his instincts and his receivers and just letting 'er rip. This is the kind of thing that can be corrected with more practice, experience, and confidence. It seemed to take awhile to shake out the receiver rotation, so he may not have had as many practice reps with the regular receivers as anybody would like. As the receiver pecking order sorts itself out, the timing should get better. It definitely has to be better next week.

in response to GerryOP:

Peace Vol brother!

It's great... to be... a Tennessee Vol.

VERY glad you made the transition as well, Gerry. Your cheerful optimism has always been a breath of fresh air in the sometimes fetid confines of the "old" board. Like you, I hope some of our other Vol buddies soon join us as well.

As for the ins and outs of the new system, it smacks to me of the influence of money people rather than that of old-school newspaper people. I see the merit of the "subscription" model, but the implementation seemed surprisingly blind to the potential drawbacks of such a big change, certainly in terms of not adding any real value to a package that used to be free. The fine old Louisiana custom of the "lagniappe"--a little extra something a business proprietor gives to a customer to show appreciation for his business--seems not to be part of the current mindset.

This is what I'm getting at by constantly harping on the continued existence of Govols247 as ANOTHER pay site. It's more like, "How can we get more from the customer without doing anything extra for him?" Or, "How far can we push the customer before he/she becomes totally disgusted with us?" That is very much a modern "business-like" way of doing things; every single transaction has a definable value in dollars and cents, and no other considerations apply.

GerryOP writes:

John, I'll hang around as long as the deals, or another option, keeps the price in the $6 a month range. I like the format, etc, but not at $12 a month! Here's hopin'!

Slats writes:

With the schedule we have this year and again in 2014 it is going to be tuff!

If recruiting continues at the level that BJ has accomplished since he arrived the talent level will increase tremendously the next few years!

I have had season tickets for a number of years and am very excited about the future with Coach Jones and Staff!

Go Vols!

Slats writes:

in response to ChrisK:

Welcome to our Volunteer Family!

I too am very impressed with our coaching staff, especially their work ethic! Hard work seems to always be the road to success!