John Adams: Recruiting class could bolster UT's possible lack of star power next season

John Adams
Tennessee wide receiver Marquez North (8) makes a reception against South Carolina cornerback Jimmy Legree (15) during the first half against South Carolina at Neyland Stadium in Knoxville on Saturday, Oct. 19, 2013. (ADAM LAU/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Lau

The All-SEC teams will be announced next week. And despite Tennessee’s 5-7 record, it shouldn’t be without representation.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

gc_scvol writes:

Just another classless slam on UT football. Adams is truly a NO TALENT HACK WHO SHOULD BE RUN OUT OF KNOXVILLE NOW !!

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

John, I'm not even going to waste my time reading your nonsense but I am curious, how long did it take you to reach that obvious conclusion in your headline?

Snapshot writes:

Insightful, well thought out article. I actually read it before commenting.

gc_scvol writes:

I read it as well. How else would I know it was more garbage.

vut5686#1405392 writes:

Let's accept the fact Ja's style is just sarcastic and trite; it is probably in his genes.

The issue is: what Vol fan did not already know every fact or insinuation he presents? Sort of like a neighbor running over and telling you your roof is leaking. You have already put the buckets under the drips so you do not need the extra smirk.

So, if he is not addressing the already informed, who is his message intended for? If it is for, say, Alabama or LSU fans, perhaps he should just go and write nearer his audience. Baton Rouge, maybe.

manoffewwords writes:

JA go away.

Dickattrade writes:

Ha John.. Why not wait for the hen to cackle and lay the egg before you start counting what is in the hen house.Palardy was on your suck team last year and now you are willing to share your praises on him.Some of the improvements might just come from good coaching. By next year we will now more about the situation.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

Isn't it amazing that only 1 of seven posts agree with the article. Could it be that the picture taker is an Adams created screen name?

bUTch__please writes:

John, there is an outstanding true Freshman on defense who could very well be All SEC for the next three years. Check out the contributions he made this year....lil dude by the name Cameron Sutton. He had 34 solo tackles, 4 tackles for loss with 1 sack, 7 break-ups, 2 interceptions and 2 fumbles recovered.

Glad to be of assistance since that info takes so much time to find with your workload.

Snapshot writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

No, sweetpea, I'm my own person. I just think it is dumb to comment on an article you did not even read. It is ok if you don't like Adams or his style of writing, I get that, but remember he is a columnist, not a reporter, he writes his opinion.

He got you to respond so there must be some attraction there! lol

OrangePride writes:

When I read the title, I thought JA would be writing about which incoming freshman might step into the holes that will be left by the outgoing seniors/nfl early releases. You know, how the credentials and performance of these new enrollees might help us make next year a success. Hmmmm.........nope, not JA's style. Just another gloom and doom piece like most of the others. BUT.....perhaps one of the other KNS staff would like to tackle that approach and let us know how he sees next year's crop filling in the VOL roster. Who might be early starters? Who are the potential playmakers? Any hope for a decent pair of lines? Come on guys......you can be better than this old rehashing of who's leaving and "woe is me." Really? This all ya got?

gc_scvol writes:

in response to bUTch__please:

Good post. I have noticed Suton's progress all year. A couple more years with a few more recruits who adapt as quickly as Mr. Sutton, and who knows, JA might realize OUR VOLS are the way back and go away for lack of satisfaction in kicking a team when they're going through a rough spot. Hope.Hope Hope. ALL VOL ALL THE TIME..

gc_scvol writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

Has to be family or a Bama fan.

Caspian writes:

in response to Snapshot:

He got you to respond so there must be some attraction there! lol

Adams writes his opinion. And I get to have my opinion, too. Adams is a waste of time.

81volguy writes:

It's amazing how thin-skinned these Vol fans are. Adams writes a reasonable, truthful column. They go nuts. One wonders how they respond to real-world problems and political discourse. I think I know.

GerryOP writes:

JA is a colmnist who only offers his opinion. The difference between JA and us? He gets paid to write his opinion, we pay to have our opinions printed.

Caspian writes:

in response to 81volguy:

Not nuts. Just don't agree with Adams opinion. By your definition, are you and Adams nuts, too? Maybe we're all nuts. Maybe football is just a game. Maybe it doesn't really matter.

81volguy writes:

in response to Caspian:

It's fine to disagree in a reasonable manner, as you did here. But some just go crazy when John Adams tells the truth. It is disproporationate to the content of his columns, usually.

Rel2400 writes:

For the record...I took a look at pre-season all SEC. Guess what that showed?

AU - 1st Team Off - 0

AL - Total - 14
GA - Total - 8
FL - Total - 6
LSU - Total - 6
SC - Total - 4
TAM - Total - 4

Seems the number of players on an All SEC really doesn't contribute to number of wins, place in SEC or overall win/loss record of the team. I believe we would all like to have had fewer if it meant we were in the position of AU or MIZZ. My guess is that AL won't have nearly 14 on the final All SEC team and AU and MIZZ will have a few more.

Point is the article is useless. Doesn't relate to wins or losses. Just proves that games matter, stars are found every year and coaching can make a difference.

OrangePride writes:

in response to 81volguy:

Let me jump in here on behalf of my fellow VOL fans. It is not just one article by JA, its the near constant barrage of negative slant articles. Seems that even the good things are "so so" in his writing. So yes, sometimes we overreact to what seems like only a mildly critical column. But its because of the continuous highlighting of all things wrong with Tennessee. With a little more balance on JA's part, posters might become a bit less sensitive. Let's see what he writes about today's signing. Even HE should be able to find something good there! We sure as heck do!

fannotsheep writes:

I didn't see anything much to complain about. Until the freshmen and JUCOs sign and enroll you really shouldn't count those chickens. Johnny Football exploded on the scene as a freshman and dominated the SEC. So it's certainly possible for UT to be at the top of the East next season. But they'd need current benchwarmers and incoming JUCOS to be ready to man up in the trenches. Maybe Tiny will stick around, and maybe the coaches will do a fantastic job.

But I'm predicting another 5-7 season and hoping to be pleasantly surprised. Bet most Auburn fans and media were pretty shocked too. And they had more talent stockpiled -- just a lousy coaching job last year.

Mizzou and Auburn do give us hope, and if not so much for next year, definitely soon if the next class is as good as this one.

But are you old enough to remember the Richard Marx line? "It don't mean nothin' til you sign it on the dotted line."

Snapshot writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

Has to be family or a Bama fan.

No you are wrong on boths counts. I have probably been a Big Orange fan a lot longer than you have been alive.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to Snapshot:

Don't get into the age thing. Pretty sure I got you beat on both age and length of time i have been a VOL FAN. You may be a Vol FAN but you are also a JA homer . I Often do a little research on profile before I comment. And, yes, I am a homer and proud of it. ALL VOL...ALL THE TIME...

gc_scvol writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

Also, if you're older than I and are still up at !:24 am on a post board you're a much better man than I.

Slats writes:

Act's and talks like a Alobama fan!

Snapshot writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

Well maybe I am. If you have to know I don't work a 9 to 5 job. And yes I am a Vol fan. My point is if you guys don't like his articles, DONT freaking read them....simple.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to Snapshot:

Need yo get your story straight there superman. I didn't say anything about a 9 to 5 job. I'm just sayin this aint the first post of yours on here that is anti-VOL And if you can't see through Adams, You're not smart enough to be a Vol Fan..ALL VOL...ALL THE TIME

murrayvol writes:

I'm not nearly as concerned about pre (or even post) season All SEC picks as I am about CBJ & Co. developing some quality on the 2 deep chart. We've been painfully short in that area of late.

The coming recruits will help jump start that effort. If several of them become All SEC, so much the better.