Butch Jones' first season with UT was always about rebuilding

Tennessee coach Butch Jones talks to players during the second half at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, KY, Saturday, Nov. 30, 2013. UT won their final game 27-14. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

KNOXVILLE — It would be easy for the players, coaches, support staffers, administrators and fans in and around the Tennessee football program to look back on the season and wonder, "What if?"

After all, the Volunteers, under first-year coach Butch Jones, hired from Cincinnati one year ago today after a whirlwind search process, were a play here or there away from winning seven games and awaiting their destination for a bowl game.

Instead, following a 5-7 season, many are wondering what's ahead for Tennessee under Jones.

Continue reading at the Chattanooga Times Free Press.

JSmith525 writes:

Coach Jones will get it done! Go Vols!!!

slb1zellwood#1421797 writes:

As Larry the Cable Guy would say: "Lets Get-Er Done".
Action talks and BS walks and I don't believe Coach talks BS.

Next year will be here pretty quick when you believe.

oldster writes:

I thought I saw some progress at the SCar game. However, the subsequent games showed that that was a mirage. This year's team was no improvement over last year's. Maybe Jones will get it done, but I have seen nothing on the field that gives me any reason to believe that he will be three and done like Dooley.

grumpyman writes:

No defense!

SummerfieldVol writes:

Coach Jones had better hope he has a winner in a QB. Of the ones that has played this year will not get the job done. No Peyton, no Health, or no Tee Martin no winner and no winning team. Also we need a great middle linebacker to anchor the defense.

in response to oldster:

That's easy to say, but if you saw how Auburn and Mizzou went up and down the field on each other, it makes more sense, to me at least, that the Vols would look bad against either of them. Nobody should have been surprised at how Oregon and Bama beat up on them, but I don't think hardly anybody thought Auburn and Mizzou would be as good as they were. It was disappointing that the Vols lost to Vandy, and the UGA and Florida losses were gut-punches because of unique circumstances, but only the margin should have been any surprise in most of their other losses. Better times are coming, but there will be some bad times to come. Who could have thought anything any different?

murrayvol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

The majority of our fanbase has no idea how far we've fallen with respect to talent. All we had going for us this year was what turned out to be a vastly overrated O-line. We don't have a great player at any posistion. We have a small handful of good players (by SEC standards) at most posistions.

The incoming recruiting class will stop the bleeding but our 2 deep is still in the ICU.

oldster writes:

in response to murrayvol:

I agree with you. The Vols were not good at any portion of the game. Some were so bad that an average O line and kicker looked great in comparison. Next year, unless several of the incoming freshman play like Johnny Manziel did as a REDSHIRT freshman, the team will be worse because even that O line and kicker will be gone. The star of the team is going to be a sophomore wide receiver and a slot receiver who need a better QB than the Vols have to get them the ball in order to show their talent. No, next year 4-8, with a three year losing street to Vandy. I cannot stand the stress so I am having to change my allegiance from my 3 time alma mater to someone else - at least for a few years. I am afraid they will drive me to drink if not something darker.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to oldster:

What's a losing street. I sure as he!! Am glad to see you "switch". (Like you ever were a VOLUNTEER FAN). At least we won't have to listen to your stupid BS anymore. It doesn't work that way. You're either a fan, or you're not, and YOU'RE NOT. Later Loser. ALL VOL... ALL THE TIME.

fannotsheep writes:

I was a Braves fan in the late 60s when they were good, in the 70s when they were terrible; I followed them because my Dad did, and because of the wondrous talent of Hank Aaron; loved listening to Milo and Ernie, didn't understand that great players like Felipe Alou and Felix Millan were only playing out the string after their prime was spent with bigger clubs. I was there in the Dale Murphy and Bob Horner years, in the years when Niekro pitched every game he possibly could because the rest of the pitching staff sucked, and finally came out the other side and was rewarded with the best regular season baseball teams in the game's history.

You can't switch teams until yours gets better. It doesn't work that way. They aren't your team any more. (If as the poster above notes, they ever were).

fannotsheep writes:

By the way, Tennessee has gone through more adversity because of the coaching changes than teams hit with the harshest penalties the NCAA ever handed out. USC lost scholarships but still had 4 and 5-star players up and down the roster. Tennessee lost its best players and recruits every time they lost a coach. Ask Kentucky and Vandy how much fun it is having to play football in the SEC with 2 and 3-star athletes. And even they had more scholarship athletes than UT did when Dooley took over.

oldster writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

Sorry for the typo, I got distracted by my misery while typing my commentary about a team for which I have been rooting before you were probably born, you Johnny come lately - a team which has repeatedly lifted my expectations only to dash them every single year except for the one year out of the 56 in which I have been following them when they actually lived up to high expectations and those numerous years when the expectations were low in the first place. You go right on rooting for losers. I have had enough. One can only stand so much. You too will do so. As a former divorce attorney I can tell you that even the most fervent love affairs can end after sufficient disappointment. In such situations one must get out before severe emotional damage occurs. E.g. getting to inured to pain that one no longer feels anything or developing wild fantasies or excuses - you know, kind of like what you appear to experiencing and doing. Escaping from reality, GC, is a sad, sad thing. I will pray for you.

oldster writes:

in response to fannotsheep:

Oh, yes you can. I was a big fan of the Pittsburg Pirates when they beat the Yankees in the 1960 World Series (I loved anyone who would been the Yankees) and while my favorite player Roberto Clemente was with them. I switched to the Braves when I moved to TN and Hank Aaron left the Braves. I am not the only person to have changed allegiances when they move or their favorite player leaves the team. More commonly people start rooting for teams because they are winning. You know those kind of people. They are called front runners, band wagon fans, fair weather fans, etc. I am neither. I have simply been kicked in the groin as much as I can take. I rooted for this team in the late 50's when my favorite player got beat out for the Heisman by a guy on 2-6 team and when the team faded quickly thereafter. I rooted for them when they changed from the single wing to the T and experienced a similar fate as when Fulmer tried to update his offense - i.e. the team lost and the fans lost patience. However, then the firing of the coach led to the hiring of a good one, who led them to the first winning I was able to enjoy as a fan after a decade of losing. Then a brief stint of success under Bill Battle before he showed that as football coach he was a great window salesman and drove UT football into a hole that took more than a decade to dig out of. Finally, Johnny got UT straightened out, Phil took us to heights, and then began the fade which Hamilton decided to turn into a blackout. I.e. this is NOT the first dark age of UT football though which I have gone. Let me know how you feel when you have been through as many. Until then, do not discuss that about which you do not know.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to oldster:

I'm old, but damn, You must be slipping. What a bunch of babble. Does your family check on you on a regular basis?

oldster writes:

gc, I would be glad to meet you and engage in a test of our respective grasps of reality. Being a Polly Anna as you seem to be is NOT the same as being logical or intelligent. It is, in fact, a form of hysteria. You are the one who needs to look at historical facts and use them to discern a pattern (that is what historians do, you know)from them, rather than live on hope and change. Well, unless you are a supporter of Obama and Mike Hamilton.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to oldster:

As my father used to say, "You're more to be pitied than scolded. Rather than try to conclude what goes on in your mind, I will bid you farewll and a good life. Just not on this site. PS.You really need to get over being po'ed about the election., that has been a long time ago.

johndavid writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

The election may have been a long time ago but the consequences have a devastating effect daily!

gc_scvol writes:

in response to johndavid:

Sorry, not gonna get into that. Just wanted to yank oldsters chain a little. Lighten up.

gc_scvol writes:

johndavid and oldster one and the same

bUTch__please writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

johndavid and oldster one and the same

Accurate.

oldster writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

Save your pity for yourself. You need it much more than I. Self delusion is a horrible thing.