John Adams: Readers downgrade upbeat columnist

John Adams
KNS sportswriter John Adams gets some pointers from his assistant coach Lance Thompson during practice at Neyland Stadium on April 15, 2010.

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

One of the joys of my job is the exchange of ideas and opinions with readers through emails, texts and phone calls. Some of the messages are so poignant and insightful that they’re worth sharing. So here are a few of the samples I saved from the past year.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

(This comment not posted in order to save the site staff the trouble of deleting it)

BigDave64 writes:

John as you know we have this little document called the Constitution that gives us all the right to free speech. Which as also allows me to write this comment from my hot tub and a cold Thursday morning. Keep up the good work!!!

vut5686#1405392 writes:

John just continues to pile up evidence that supports the conclusion his articles are worthless, nonsensical, and nothing more than a joke. Knoxville deserves better; he deserves a one-way ticket to unemployment insurance. Wonder where he keeps the pictures of whoever keeps him around?

Caspian writes:

Tennessee deserves better than John Adams and his constant snarky, narcissistic negativism.

Volswin1 writes:

I can't believe I wasted my time reading this guy.

IndianOutlaw writes:

I enjoy reading John's columns and require that my wife also reads them. I do this to prove to her that their is at least 1 person on the planet that has less Intellectual power and humor than I. But on the serious side, just like train wrecks, everyone likes to look and read. This validates his ability to pull in a reader base that then pulls in cash. And that's what makes the world go round. If you really don't like him quit reading him. Quit commenting and call and cancel your subscription to the paper. Inform all advertisers in the sports section that as long as John Adams is published you will not buy their products. If everyone who dislikes John that much would do so then maybe his contract would be terminated. But in reality this is not going to happen because the "haters" won't go to that much trouble and they are not that big in number. Merry Christmas John and enjoy the ride. Remember sometimes it is better to be known by who your enemies are rather than you are your friends.

threehundredbowler writes:

in response to IndianOutlaw:

If Adams columins were terminated,the haters would be lost due to boredom. Most haters have to have something to complain about. Adams does not hate the Tennessee programs. He is paid to write,and write is what he does.For the most part he tells it like it is.He never asks us to agree only that we think about it.

If we would spend more time on important things,we would not have time to hate John Adams.

Try visiting someone in a nursing home.Help a local family that dosen't know where their next meal is coming from.Take someone who needs transportation to get to a doctor appointment.Love may not be a cure all but I find these things rewarding with less time to hate.

TommyJack writes:

Sometimes I defend Adams' pieces. Not this one. Ugh.

IndianOutlaw writes:

in response to threehundredbowler:

Amen, Brother and/or Sister. "You know some people would complain if you hung them with a new rope" BTW that was my father's favorite saying about whiners.

Snapshot writes:

in response to threehundredbowler:

Well said 300. I certainly don't agree with everything he writes, but I can appreciate the slant he takes sometimes. You have to admit he knows how to push some peoples buttons!

TNlogfire writes:

in response to Volswin1:

I can't believe I wasted my time reading this guy.

Amen...

murrayvol writes:

in response to Volswin1:

I can't believe I wasted my time reading this guy.

Don't beat yourself up. It happens all the time.

murrayvol writes:

in response to TommyJack:

Sometimes I defend Adams' pieces. Not this one. Ugh.

Not his best work.

RoadTrip writes:

in response to threehundredbowler:

First you stereotype people as haters that criticize John Adams writing. Then you state an opinion as fact that Adams does not hate the Tennessee programs. Then you acknowledge you agree with what he says as it is his and your version of the truth ("tells it like it is"). Then you discuss what you view as more important actions that we should spend our time doing rather than hate on JA.

Did I get that right or leave anything out? So you are a hater of who you identify as haters. And since those haters disagree with your version of things they could not possibly do good works with their lives, since only JA lovers do that. That is obviously what you meant since you give examples of actions that you find worthy. The ironic part is we could do all those actions and still "hate" JA's columns. But I guess you would prefer that the majority remain quiet in their objections. That sounds strangely familiar.

Do the terms "controlling", "apologist", and "self righteous" mean anything to you? That sums up how you come across in your response. JA is what he is. He is a non-intellectual version of a sports satirist that still feels important from stirring the pot against Fulmer. The truth is that he is no longer relevant or fed information from the UTAD. As a result he is reduced to writing rubbish, observations type columns that a small minority of KNS subscribers bother to read. Count yourself in that smug, snarky group.

Some of us have been KNS subscribers for many decades. We have seen the JA's come and go. He will not be missed when he goes by the vast majority of us that remain.

Volswin1 writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

Very we'll stated, thank you. I knew there would be blind followers and nonVol fans of mr negative replying to my post. I "hate" to drive up his visitor count defending my position.

vut5686#1405392 writes:

in response to RoadTrip:

RoadTrip, you are, indeed, a trip. And one worth taking. You give the best description of Adam's writing and his follower's loyalty of any I have ever read. I respect the fact Adam's is entitled to say what he wishes to say and everyone else is equally entitled to their opinion regarding what he says.

I have never been hung up on whether he loves the Vols or hates them; he is not paid to be loving or cuddly. He is paid to write and do so in a professional manner. He offers us mindless drivel. To the point: since this opportunity to vent started to cost us, few chime in and a majority (I dare say) disregard his views as having any validity. This article: Fourteen comments? Please!

Technically, we should always cut him slack if he was (really) an OPED writer; he can say what he wishes. Problem is, we just never know; is this news? Is it an editorial? Is it satire? Is it just an ill-timed and long joke? All too often, a mixture of all...adding up to nothing.

Thanks for expressing it far better than I or most others could.

798orange writes:

Adams is usually a competent, knowledgeable writer, but has a propensity for over-baked sarcasm. He needs to rein in the overrated tendency to be needlessly clever and cute.