Lady Vols handle Lipscomb early, 110-42

Lipsomb's Maya Dillard looks for an open teammate against Tennessee's Andraya Carter (14) in the first half of an NCAA college basketball game Sunday, Dec. 29, 2013, in Knoxville, Tenn. (AP Photo/Pat Murphy-Racey)

Photo by Patrick Murphy-Racey

Just back from Christmas break, Tennessee played like it already had made some New Year’s resolutions.

The Lady Vols cleaned up virtually all aspects of their performance and it showed in a 110-42 women’s basketball rout of Lipscomb on Sunday afternoon at Thompson-Boling Arena.

Isabelle Harrison scored a career-high 26 points to lead six double-figure scorers for No. 5 Tennessee (11-1).

Tennessee shot 57.9 percent from the floor and had a season-high 31 assists while committing just 12 turnovers. UT outrebounded Lipscomb 61-31.

Danay Fothergill led Lipscomb (3-8) with 13 points, but she fouled out with 13:01 left.

With a crowd of 12,046 watching, Tennessee played with more sustained urgency that it had against previous overmatched foes. The effort resulted in some gaudy first-half statistics.

The Lady Vols shot 63.9 percent from the floor. The accuracy wasn’t solely a by-product of going inside, where UT scored 28 of its 62 points. The Lady Vols also were 5-for-8 (62.5 percent) on 3-pointers. Meighan Simmons was 3-for-4 from long range.

Harrison had a double-double by halftime with 12 points and 10 rebounds.

Tennessee amassed 17 assists before the break. Guards Ariel Massengale and Jordan Reynolds combined for nine. Freshman center Mercedes Russell recorded four of UT’s six blocks.

On defense, the Lady Vols defended everything from dribble drives to long-range shots, holding Lipscomb to 28.6 percent shooting from the floor (10 for 35).

Tennessee opens SEC play Thursday night against LSU. Former Lady Vol Candace Parker’s jersey will be retired in a pregame ceremony.

ModelMaker writes:

I thought the whole team looked great, Lipscomb notwithstanding. Reynolds, Burdick and Harrison really stood out. Burdick and Reynolds really did a great job of getting the ball inside. I thought Reynolds did a great job of running the team and is much improved, again lipscomb notwithstanding. I didn't see any let up in the team tonight as I thought they played a full 40 minutes of basketball.
Watched Tucker shooting trees from the left side during warm ups; Nothing but net. I was very encouraged from what I saw tonight.

magicbyswh#221420 writes:

They played a high school team. They win by 60 plus points and they think they made strides. Quit playing high school teams. Come on man,,,,

MaxVolFan writes:

We have our 3 pt shooter just joining the team in Jannah Tucker. It would be hard for me to redshirt her as a coach but thr future looks bright for our lady Vols. Our real tests starts next month. If we win against our next three(LSU, GA, and ND) we are back in final four contention. Right now I question the toughness of this team. But I feel that we are as talented and deep as anyone in the country

underthehill writes:

I am seeing a Lady Vol team that is very well coached and plays with great effort..can't expect more..having a bad game on Stanford's home court don't change my opinion of this team..I like the style of play and the way the coaching staff is using their team depth..my favorite Lady Vol..Carter...

Allenfan writes:

in response to underthehill:

I guess that we are not watching the same team. I haven't seen us well coached this year in a game where the other team has any talent at all. Remember Stanford, they have one girl that could start for us. Most everyone knew what she was going to do and she still did it. I am happy about one thing, she did use a timeout with us up by about 60 points, maybe she is finally understanding that they are no good after the final horn sounds. I will be anxious to see us against LSU and Notre Dame and how well prepared we are, win those games and I will start to believe. It is only an opinion but we will find out very soon.

Confidence is a quirky thing with most young athletes, especially basketball players. One the one hand, there is hardly a single Lady Vol who wasn't at one time in fact considered one of the best around, wherever "around" happened to be. Such a person would have had to at least be able to "fake" confidence to succeed so visibly at such a young age. And yes, "fake it til you make it" IS a valid concept. Some of them, of course, really ARE confident most of the time and are thus true physical, mental, and spiritual examples of successive levels of potential realized.

On the other hand, they are like thorougbred horses who are trained to the limit of endurance, to such a peak that it doesn't take too much to get them off stride. When a player is relaxed and reasonably satisfied with everyday life, he/she doesn't carry tension into the gym with him/her. The mind, body, and spirit are accepting of coaching, training, and discipline. The game flows and the basket looks like Lake Loudon from off the Calhoun's deck. But if a few don't go in; if the sweetheart is souring somehow; if he/she has a cold or upset stomach; if the refs and a hostile crowd "have it in for you" that night...well, your confidence may not be all that high right then.

The LVs have seen enough good competition by now to know that what they do against Lipscomb can in no way be compared to the result against the likes of, well, Stanford. How they do going forward is going to depend on what winning actions and thought processes they turn into habits, such as they experienced in real time against Lipscomb, than it will on whether this one's or that one's shot isn't falling. If they keep executing the routine skills of the game, no matter the opponent, the time, and the score, they will likely find a way to win, no matter who they are playing.