Josh Richardson was out to 'make them pay' in Tennessee's 87-52 win over Virginia

Guard's 20 part of high-scoring night for the Vols

(SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Saul Young, 2013 Knoxville News Sentinel

Tennessee's Josh Richardson makes a three-point attempt in front of the Virginia bench at Thompson-Boling Arena on Monday, December 30, 2013. (SAUL YOUNG/NEWS SENTINEL)

During one of the practices that led up to Monday night’s game against Virginia, Josh Richardson jammed a few fingers on his left hand. The swollen digits wrapped in white athletic tape didn’t seem to slow the junior guard down much, though.

Current Subscribers - Activate Now

Activate Now

New Subscribers - Subscribe Now

Want to keep reading?

WaitUntilNextYear writes:

Great game! Fun to be in TBA watching the Vols win.
Happy New Year!
Play like that in the SEC and you will be dancing!

ChesterDrawers writes:

Great game! Finally let the dogs loose! I only hope that Coach Martin sticks with letting the guys run free on offense. PLEASE do not return to "Gene Keady-ball".

no1djkb#278630 writes:

Guys as you know I am not a basketball guru but from what I saw last night, it seemed as if they were running the same offense so Gene Keady ball must work. What I saw from this team was a more aggressive approach to the game. There was one thing different though, I love the fact he had Stokes playing away from the basket and allowing the guards to post at times. If Stokes can hit that outside jumper every now and then, they will be that much better on offense. You know coach did say he has always told the guys to be more aggressive. Lets hope they will listen to him more. They shot the ball with a lot of confidence last night. I haven't seen that in years.

underthehill writes:

Richardson is right..teams have not been guarding him..it was most evident in the UTEP loss..if you are going to be on the floor in the SEC..you should have enough talent to feel like you can make open shots..and you have to take open shots..good job Josh..

wigmeister writes:

First time they truly looked like a basketball TEAM. When they started out with the passion, and got a nice lead, I was worried they wouldn't keep it up for the 2nd half, especially when Virginia started an early run after tip off. But the guys righted themselves and played just like the 1st half. They play like this the rest of the season, and I believe they have an opportunity to make the big dance.

murrayvol writes:

in response to no1djkb#278630:

I'm not a guru either but I know this. Knocking down 11 of 18 threes will make virtually any game winnable. What I'd like to see more of is an offensive game plan that will work when the perimeter game isn't.

The next step in the development of this team should, IMHO, be a little more "Post low, pass-in, catch, locate, pass out-[this is where the better three-point shots come from]-repost, pass in, power move, SCORE!" Strictly on the fact that we have now seen them, in consecutive games, make many of the same shots they missed in most of their losses, I think they will keep working for those good shots. The touch can and will come and go, but the overall quality of the shots they have gotten lately is so much better than what they were getting before. If they keep passing the ball with as much purpose--though even MORE such would be better!--they will have those shots most games and we know THEY and the opponents know they can make enough of them to require defensive attention, which should open up the middle. That was, IMHO, the way this team should have worked from the beginning. I believe they may have really learned that now, but we'll see.

no1djkb#278630 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Great post

no1djkb#278630 writes:

in response to murrayvol:

The perimeter game and the low post game goes hand and hand. My point is both need to be consistent every game. Out of those three (Josh, Jordan, and Barton) two of them need to have their game going. If you are awful on either, you will lose. Watching the NBA, most of the good teams have two guys that are hot shooting and two guys getting most of the rebounds. This team has the make up for that. They are too athletic not to make it happen