Former Tennessee coach Derek Dooley confirms he is going to the Dallas Cowboys

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley celebrates a defensive stop during the second half against Missouri at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Nov. 10, 2012. UT lost in four overtimes 51-48. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Former Tennessee coach Derek Dooley has been hired to be the new wide receivers coach for the Dallas Cowboys.

Dooley confirmed the news via Twitter Monday night and attached a photo of a Cowboys T-shirt.

"Headed to don the Silver and Blue!" Dooley wrote.

Dooley, 44, was 15-21 in three seasons as head coach at UT before being fired in November. He will be paid $5 million in monthly installments of $102,040 through December 2016. The payments will not be affected by his earnings with the Cowboys.

Dooley was first reported to have been hired more than a week ago, but both he and the Cowboys denied the report.

Dooley will replace veteran NFL assistant Jimmy Robinson and will take over responsibility for coaching mercurial star receiver Dez Bryant.

The Dallas Morning News reported that Robinson would be retained by the team as a consultant.

Dooley spent two years in the NFL as an assistant to Nick Saban in Miami in 2005-2006.

He is also familiar with the Dallas area, having spent three years as an assistant at Southern Methodist in the late 1990s. His wife, Allison, is from Fort Worth.

The Cowboys went 8-8 and did not qualify for the playoffs in 2012 under third-year head coach Jason Garrett.

Garrett recently hired Monte Kiffin to be the Cowboys' defensive coordinator. Kiffin was defensive coordinator on son Lane's staff at Tennessee in 2009.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tdvol1989 writes:

Current Fan TDVol1989 Confirms He Doesn't Care!

Prostar writes:

So, you're going to be coaching Dez Bryant and the other Cowboy wide receivers. I can just see Eli and RGIII right about now, their sides hurting and doubled over in laughter at what is about to come.

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

Jerry Jones will draft Da'Rick to keep Dooley busy. Garrett will be fired after next season. Lane Kiffin will be fired from USC and Jerry Jones will hire him as head coach. Jerry will then hire Fulmer to coach offensive line.

Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88 writes:

in response to Prostar:

Why is Eli and RG3 laughing? Did they move to corner?

Anyways... Welcome to big D, Dooley.

Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88 writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Surely Dooley isn't such a bad WR coach that he'd make Dez Bryant and Miles Austin look average. I can't see how he's any harm to the team, as long as he's not the Head Coach.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88:

Why is Eli and RG3 laughing? Did they move to corner?

Anyways... Welcome to big D, Dooley.

Good point, also RG3 may not be able to walk again after that horrific injury he suffered..

volfaninutah writes:

He has confirmed it.... but has Dallas?

jandrew5 writes:

I can't wait to see him on the sidelines with that stupid floppy hat he wears, with a Dallas star on it..maybe some goofy blue slacks to go with it.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

The cowboys have a much older problem than Dooley, namely Monte. Chip Kelly goes to Philly and JJ counters with Monte. Jerry must have watched how great the USC defense looked against Oregon this year.I think Oregon only scored 50 or 60.

easybeinggreen writes:

I wish Coach Dooley much success in his new position.

Not everyone is cut out to be a head coach. That doesn't mean that they can't succeed in other positions. Give the man a break.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

I shouldn't have implied that Monte's age was the issue here. The issue is the spread option.

cltvol writes:

Hope he does well, can't think of a reason to dawg him or anybody else about, and I wish im the best personally, although I hate the cowboys.

But Jason Witten is a great player and person, so I pull for him individually.

ornglovinyankealum writes:

Dooley is the one that should be laughing.....getting $102,000/mo for four years from UT plus making big bucks in the NFL for a year or two with the former "America's Team".

GrandCanyonVol writes:

We wish you well coach. Sorry it did not work out here. You came into a bad sitution. Why would people want to beat on this man. Let's move forward. I don't agree with the payments to be made until 2016, but that is not Coach Dooley's fault.

vut5686#1405392 writes:

I assume everyone adding "likes" to Dooley's career left Harvard, are at the top of their profession and never had a career set-back. Otherwise, seems a lot of bricks are being tossed out of glass houses.

Dooley was not successful in the W-L column at UT and a change needed to be made. It was made. Don't recall him kicking anybody's dog, abandoning his loaner Lexus along the road or secretly riding double on his Harley.

He is gone; he was not a bad person; he very likely will out succeed most of us, before he is done. He is not our news anymore so we should let it rest.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

in response to Prostar:

Coaching them? No. Babysitting? Yes.

cloudodust writes:

Well, how about that, Sports Fans..? As the legal mind that he is, I'm surprised he didn't offer to become Bryant's agent instead. Easier money and the hours are terrific. Good luck to him...

baldingalum writes:

I wish him well. Oh, no wait I can't. He's gone to Dallas. I loathe them. Nothing pleases me more than seeing their owner just after a defeat.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

No worries, I may be in my 50's but that didn't offend me in the least..Jerry Jones is a buffoon, and his blatant denial that Jason Garrett is the coach he should of fired and then hired Bill Cowher in his place..He doesn't see the forest for the trees.

Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

As much as I hate the NFC east (besides the Cowboys), it's never good to see a player of RG3's caliber suffer an injury like that.

arkyvol writes:

in response to easybeinggreen:

I wish Coach Dooley much success in his new position.

nowhere for him to go but up. the first three back to back losing seasons at u.t. since taft was president surely qualifies as the bottom. "give the man a break"? he's pocketing five million badly needed volunteer dollars--what else does he need from us?

DRORANGELOVE writes:

Good Luck at your new job Coach Dooley.
Thanks for doing the best you could at UT with the hand that was dealt to you. Maybe you will have better luck in Dallas. Sure hope so, Dallas, Denver, and Indy are three of my favorite teams in the NFL, would like to see Dallas back in the playoffs next year.

flatrock writes:

Coming soon to the Cowboys- Nick Saban. Derek and the newly-hired kicking coach- and Garrett were all on Nicky's Dolphin staff...Look for WalMarts in Alabama to shut down soon after!

flatrock writes:

Saban to Cowboys- and he takes his DC wih him;
B. Petrino leaves Western Kentucky and takes ALA job;
WKU hires Lane Kiffin, who then hires Monte as DC.

chattbud writes:

Congratulations Coach Dooley on the NFL hire & the $5,000,000 UT buy out! lol The UT fans on this site are still bashing on you! They seem to think UT’s better off. Cost UT, not them personally, $8,000,000 to fire you & staff & hire a coach you & staff beat by 24! Lol My Prediction; in three Years, Adam’s will be on another of his “rants to fire coach Butch. So kick back & enjoy it this time. You can even vote in the next KNS Poll. I’m certain by then broadcaster Gruden will have already bought a house on Phil Fulmer Way. lol

Sir_Spanky writes:

I fully understand why Dallas Cowboy fans are trying to get a boycott established in an attempt to get rid of this owner. No wonder they feel like puking down there.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Sir_Spanky:

Dude, this hire is not that bad..Good grief, the man couldn't handle a HC gig in the SEC..Orgeron, Donnan, Zook, Cutcliffe, Shula, Wyatt, Battle, Phillips, Felker, Pancoast, Brown, Denardo, Arnsparger, and Ford were all good assistants that bombed in the SEC as HC's.

volinlm writes:

Congratulations, coach. Wish you and your family well.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to DRORANGELOVE:

Good Luck at your new job Coach Dooley.

With both Dooley and Kiffin on the staff, I would not get my hopes up if I were you

DC82_Vol writes:

in response to arkyvol:

I have to agree here. He is getting 5 million for doing a poor job. No breaks required. TN, overall, did not get better under his watch or he would not have been fired.

AppreciativeAlum writes:

Frustration at UT brought out some character flaws. I wonder if he has worked on them.

mloaks#222092 writes:

Dooley is a good man.

good read re Bobby Maze and buddy: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/...

pcorange writes:

in response to easybeinggreen:

I wish Coach Dooley much success in his new position.

My thoughts exactly. I hope he is the best NFL receivers coach in the league, since I am also a Cowboys fan, lol.

KVCrockett writes:

He should do well in Texas, bamboo grows huge down there. You know everything in Texas is bigger. I bet he spends most of his time in Dallas watering.

rtrchatt writes:

Congrads Coach Dooley and at least you can burn those puke orange pants. Now go spend all that Vol money on your family in Dallas.

SmokeyPride writes:

How does signing another contract not affect the buyout? What am I missing here?

GOJO writes:

KNS he is gone. Please let him go completely..

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

Just be sure to leave a forwarding address for your big fat monthly check and don't let the door hit ya. Case closed. Next!!!

volfan#207874 writes:

I wish you well coach Dooley. I am not a Cowboys fan, but once was before the Boys got rid of coach Landry. I agree with another poster...JJ is a buffoon. Similar to Ted Turner trying to micro manage the Braves. Hope that this gig works well for coach Dooley and his family.

crappieking writes:

As a Cowboys fan, this blows. We have enough issues with JJ at the helm.

jjk writes:

in response to VOLS_SEC_RULES:

Please don't give Jerry any ideas as far as Kiffin!

jjk writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I couldn't have said that better myself! A poster just joked that Lane Kiffin will get fired from USC after next season and Jerry will hire him as head coach to team with his dad once again. Sadly enough, I wouldn't put it past Jerry to do that.

Greeneyes67 writes:

Congrats Coach Dooley, May you and your family get the respect you all deserve.
Sorry for they way you was talked about and treated here in Knoxville

lm5449#205749 writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

What is the point of being jealous. He is gone.

traderjoe writes:

LOL...I wonder if he doctored his resume to get the job? What is his experience that qualifies him as a receivers coach? All American receiver in college? Coached receivers who were all number 1 draft picks? Must of claimed he was a hands on guy at TN...lol Jones is an idiot.

UTvols33 writes:

As a Cowboys fan, I gotta say I am not happy.
Oh Jerry...... Jerry, Jerry, Jerry. (head shake)

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to lm5449#205749:

What is the point of being jealous. He is gone.

Not jealous, just stating facts already in evidence. The dude is a lawyer, not a coach. Lost big in both WAC and SEC

murrayvol writes:

"It's boots and chaps
It's cowboy hats
It's spurs and latigo"

Yeeeeehah! You're gonna fit right in coach.

brokendownoldvol writes:

Hope they dont have to pay him.

volguy writes: