Former Vol, Colorado Rockies first baseman Todd Helton arrested on DUI charge

Colorado Rockies' Todd Helton warms up on deck during the first inning of a baseball game against the Pittsburgh Pirates in Pittsburgh on April 24, 2012. Helton has been arrested on a charge of driving under the influence, the team announced Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2013. The team says Helton was arrested Wednesday morning in the Denver suburb of Thornton. No other details have been released. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar, File)

Photo by Gene J. Puskar

Five-time All-Star Todd Helton has been arrested on a charge of driving under the influence.

The Colorado Rockies first baseman was arrested at about 2:30 a.m. Wednesday in the Denver suburb of Thornton, Colo.

In a statement released by the Rockies, Helton, a former Tennessee baseball and football standout, says he is embarrassed and apologized to his family, the team and the community.

He added, "I humbly ask your forgiveness."

Officials in Thornton say Helton was arrested after someone called police to report a drunken driver. They say Helton's blood-alcohol content was over the legal limit but they haven't released the number.

Helton is a career .320 hitter. The 39-year-old played only 69 games last year before undergoing hip surgery in August. He is expected to return for his 17th season this year.

crappieking writes:

Why is this news? Geeez.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

It is news even if it is negative news. I was shocked to hear it knowing the type of individual Todd is.

iadvol writes:

Helton is a cool dude and a great Vol. Bottom line get a cab or car service! Youve got the coin!!

Mboroalum writes:

Yaaawn.

signalcorps writes:

so what he's grown now,,,not a kid anymore

BrassMonkey writes:

Vol For Life

VolnTex writes:

in response to signalcorps:

so what he's grown now,,,not a kid anymore

How many people are killed every year by drunk drivers? I was nearly killed by one myself, as we're my grandparents. Your "so what" attitude is that of an idiot fool.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

Got to get that bad press in, huh!?

Go Vols! Hang in there Todd!

signalcorps writes:

in response to VolnTex:

Grow up,,,I went to war and was wounded,,I don't cry about guns....COWARD

voloffaith writes:

Now,now ,now children.....Todd made a mistake and has admitted it and asked forgiveness. Are you going to give it or be unforgiving? ONE once had written down as HE had forgiven me I should forgive others.Todd is a human and very capable of errors just like you and me. He is not God and has never said he was nor did he say he was perfect. THe KNS is reporting ,in sport section,on a former VOL as news whether I think is newsworthy or not. If anything it should teach us not to idolize sports figures as they will let me/you down just like my coworkers/neighbors/etc.

voloffaith writes:

in response to voloffaith:

I meant to say let down just like me/coworkers/neighbors/etc....

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

Always the problem (or opportunity) with drinking...the first drink impairs your judgment, the 2nd even moreso....it's additive.

How many males haven't benefited from that with the ladies???

Still, people never learn.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

I'd not be surprised in future cell phones don't come with a breathalyzer sensor built in.

McMinnVol writes:

Can't believe the calloused attitudes expressed about drunk driving on this thread. I like Helton, but he made a seriously poor judgment by drinking and driving. Glad no one was hurt. I do hope he learns from it and does not repeat it again. GO VOLS!

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

in response to McMinnVol:

That's just it...once you're drinking, the judgement is toast.

Now add, two, that more people than ever are CCW-licensed.....
not exactly a safer place out there.

Olddogsrule writes:

Driving and drinking ... I remember coming home from Nam and Tennessee had lowered the drinking age to 18. After a few years of highway slaughter they raised it again.

But, I sat and watched in the front row of the first base sideline bleachers when, with a runner at 1st & 2nd, the batter hit a frozen rope line drive about 11 feet in the air over Todd's head. Runners took off. Todd leaped and ice-cream coned the ball, flipped it to his right hand as he spun in the air, tagged 1st and pegged 2nd.

Triple play!!! Boda Bing .. Boda BOOM! :-)

Has to be one of the most focused athletic plays I've ever personally seen.