Memphis gives Butch Jones a standing ovation

Evan Woodbery's Instagram photo of Tennessee head football coach Butch Jones talking with the media in Memphis.

MEMPHIS -- Three people got standing ovations during the first stop on Tennessee's three-city post-Signing Day tour.

Butch Jones was one. Former UT receiver Stanley Morgan was another.

But Jones set up a recently signed Memphis prospect for the loudest cheer.

Defensive line coach Steve Stripling said he wanted to give an "extreme shout-out" to defensive lineman Jason Carr of White Station High.

Then Jones interrupted with a yell: "How about a standing ovation?"

"When you see him around Memphis, make sure you thank him," Jones said.

Jones also told the crowd of several hundred at the Hilton in east Memphis that he wanted them to "spread the word about Tennessee football in Memphis."

"We're one family," Jones said. "Show that orange pride every day."

Jones and his staff left about 10:30 a.m. for a flight to Nashville, where the Vols will hold a lunch-time meeting with fans. The day ends with a function at Neyland Stadium.

All events are sold out.

Follow updates from Jones' trip across the state at Twitter.com/TennesseeBeat.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

Pompey writes:

....going in the right direction....

DC82_Vol writes:

I like it!!!

BillsBrother writes:

Coach said all the right things. And all the asst coaches ended their own presentation by stating, "Go Vols!" Our new Head Coach is all Tennessee!

jt45 writes:

This is definitely good PR for the future of UT football and something that has been missing for quite some time. Its really good to see CBJ and staff working towards getting all of our native sons back on board the Vol nation.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

Was it Tim McGraw who sang "I like it, I love it, I want some more of it?"

tennrich1 writes:

Good job CBJ and staff!!! During my morning workout it occurred to me (and I usually stay way above the fray on trash talking) that its only been a few short years back that Bama was in the same boat we're riding in now...they're timing was just right to hire a man called Saban and a few years later we're seeing a run unprecedented in college football...so hang on folks...we may not have a Saban (few do) but we can be good again....and enjoy football again on Saturdays...and maybe this is a start...because I got to tell you...I was VERY impressed with what we able to do in 31 days...

jesusvol4 writes:

Makes me feel like singin GOOD OLE ROCKY TOP!!

bjohns23 writes:

At least he had a winning record at other schools. Not a fooley.

VolVox writes:

I really like the players we got. They sound like non-flaky, stable people who will provide a good foundation and can play football. I just wish we had been able to land a few more with the same characteristics.

The_View_From_Memphis writes:

The key to the Vols returning to the top of the SEC?, it's spelled M_E_M_P_H_I_S!! The greatest athletes in the state reside in Memphis, both in quality and quantity. Lately both 'Bama and Ole Miss have dominated recruiting in this TENNESSEE city. Butch Jones, target Atlanta over Memphis at your own demise!!

tennrich1 writes:

in response to The_View_From_Memphis:

I would say this is an overstatement but I understand your position...I am VERY familiar with the Memphis situation and I would advise CBJ to do exactly what CPF did while recruiting Memphis...BE VERY SELECTIVE...and he was....he always zeroed in on two or three and didnt waste a lot of time in Memphis just for the sake of getting Memphis kids...of course he always had the ear of the Memphis kid because of the obvious success...just proceed with caution is the correct way to do it...Atlanta area as you mention including the state of Georgia has always been EXTREMELY good to the Vols...just attend an alumni event there one time and you'll see what I mean..

GOJO writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

Was it Tim McGraw who sang "I like it, I love it, I want some more of it?"

VolMoment writes:

in response to The_View_From_Memphis:

I live in Tennssee and I also lived in Memphis for several years. No Sir there are plenty good Athletes who live in other parts of Tennessee that are better. But there are a few great ones from Memphis. Look at the football playoffs every year. West Tn outside of Memphis dominates the wins. I found Memphis people very shortsided in their views.

For the other posters, remember the rankings are based on how many stars each recruits has and then add them up. Tn signed 21 (in 31 Days)so their rankings will be less than those who signed 25 or 27. Welcome Jason Carr, you are one of the best in all Tennessee.

apriliaracing writes:

Recently while in Destin I saw a man with a Cincinati sweatshirt on. I jokingly said "we got your coach". Then I asked him what he thinks about our new coach. He said "he's a GREAT coach"! He said if Jones can recruit in the SEC we have only good things ahead. He didn't think too highly of their new coach Tuberville. I think folks at Cincinati think so highly of Jones they actually are hoping he will do well for UT, even though he left them. That says a lot, a lot!

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

Unlike several people on this site true Vol fans were cheering for CBJ. There will be a vast improvement in coaching this year and recruiting will be even better in 2014

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

I think UT may have found a FB coach after 2 disasterous hires.

OrangeCrush writes:

in response to apriliaracing:

Nice post. Just like CBJ former players at Cin applauding for him when he informed them he was heading to UT.

Wonder where we would be if we would have hired CBJ instead of Dooley. The what "if" question. GBO.

MONGOloveSHERIFFbart writes:

in response to OrangeCrush:

wonder where we would be if we hired Kevin Sumlin or Brian Kelley both of whom were interested in the job.

PUL4VOLS writes:

Win Memphis recruiting, win the whole state and watch the football program rise and rise. It is just a beginning but to me feels a lot better than when we began with the last coach. Let's give it time and see what kind of team our staff fields this fall. No it is not ladened with all the star guys but if the ones who come want to be there and are willing to do their best inspired by great coaching, we might just be amazed! I for one am ready for a little, no a lot of amazing from the Vol football team in the winning way. GO BIG ORANGE!

Vol43 writes:

in response to VolFanInTheBoro:

Absolutely agree. If Coach Jones succeeds as I think he will, these naysayers and nega-vols are gonna find it awkward when they jump on board. Their trick? Change screen names and pretend they've always been there. I like this guy. This time around we have ourselves a coach.

MONGOloveSHERIFFbart writes:

in response to CheekMustGo:

go watch Peterman's highlghts. He will start next season. Worley will be the back up.

SummittsCourt writes:

I'm standing up giving an ovation right now.

watchdog writes:

I love Coach Jones's efforts to build a relationship with Memphis and West Tennessee already. I've always thought it'd be kinda cool to play Arkansas at the Liberty Bowl, kinda like Georgia and Florida play in Jacksonville. It's pretty close to midway (322 miles from Fayetteville, 385 from Knoxville), and it couldn't hurt us in terms of exposure in a Tennessee town that's actually closer to pretty much anyone in the SEC West (except A&M now that they're around). And I bet West Tennessee Vols fans might appreciate the shorter road trip every once in a while.

UT-on-3 writes:

recruit Memphis....
PERIOD.
Best players in this state for football & basketball. But stay in denial & spin it anyway ya want to about corruption but I don't like the Kentucky, Missouri & Vandy company we're in.

We just making excuses for not being as successful as other programs recruiting the Bluff City. I know it sucks to think of it but we need their players.

vol49 writes:

in response to watchdog:

Great post and great idea. It's a long way to Knoxville from over here although it's worth it to be part of the tradition.

AlpharettaVol writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Lucky for everyone, he doesn't read your posts. If he did he would get the wrong impression of the VolNation and might mistakenly think you were a part of it.

vol49 writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Pitiful Jeffrey, yet so typical. Some day you will pay for all the insults you so kindly bestow on all things UT.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to apriliaracing:

If CBJ and his staff coach as hard as they work, things will be good again in Big Orange Country.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vol49,

I was enjoying the intelligent posts, which were very pro-Vol, and insightful.

Then, as is the custom, if you keep reading, eventually the trolls and whiners will step forward. Sure enough, there was the cap gun 45, and his partner, Wilted Flowers.

I see Jack Lail hasn't banned the Glenn Ford hater........yet. But it's coming.

We have 3 groups of people on this site:

1. The true Tennessee fans like you and the others know who they are, as well.

2. The trolls, such as rtrchatterbox who is obsessed with this site, although claiming to be a bandwagon Alabama fan.

3. Then, and worst of all, the so-called Vol fan who claims to be for Tennessee, but runs them down at every opportunity. This is where anti-Karl Kremser, anti-Glenn Ford, and of course.......anti-Derek Dooley/wilted Flowers comes in. This group is actually worse than a troll. The trolls just can't stay away from this site, some good natured kidding, some hating because they fear what's coming down the road with the Vols.

But Jeffery Flowers has always griped and whined about Tennessee........a lot of it because of his own failure with the Vols, and the success of Richmond.

Soon we hope, Jack will get him off this site for good.

Theo writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Well, you are nothing if not consistent. Repeat after me - Fulmer is gone, he is not coming back. Just because you wish Fulmer was still the head coach (remember:Fulmer is gone, he is not coming back.) does not give you the right to tear down every other coach, assist coach and player UT will get from now forward. I don't think I've ever seen someone who is so totally nasty all of the time.
I don't know if you are baby Flowers, perenial bench warmer or not. But if you are, for the love of God, give back your letterman's jacket. You are an embarrassment to the great guys who have indeed "given their all" for UT.
Coach J hasn't coached a single practice or played a single game and all you can do is slam him. Go see a therapist. You have problems.

Vol43 writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

You're an idiot. Plain and simple. I want you in front of the 'I give up' line with your sissy friend Jeff right behind you or better yet side by side so you two can hold hands.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

Can't take the truth can you clown?

All these real Vol fans have zeroed in on the ( fortunately few ) trolls like you and Glenn Ford's jealous adversary, wilted Flowers.

Your time is getting short here, you know it and we know it. But, you and your 'partner' just have to keep doing what you do and time will take care of it for us. You're 'all Vol" right.......
and you have a date with Miss America tonight.

Vol43 writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

He he, you're a funny dude. You are so outclassed by OCV and it's glaring. Too bad you're too dense to see it

orangecountyvols writes:

Vol fans,

Here's a current list for us......( Vol supporters. )

Theo, IllinoisVolFan, Vol49, DC82, BillsBrother, JT45, Snowpea, Tennrich, JesusVol4, BJohns, Volvox, Volmoment, Apriliaracing, Volfanintheboro, BivolarBeare, Cheekmustgo, Orangecrush, Watchdog, Summittscourt, Mongo, Pul4Vols, and Vol43.

What do you notice about that group? Why, they are for Tennessee and do not trash and bash the school every day. They don't have issues with former players or coaches and don't find it necessary to stick former player's names in as a screen name . And this positive group doesn't even include Gerry and Johnlg.

There's that group.

Then, we have the other group of 2. Cap gun 45 and Jeffery Flowers.

What can we clearly see the difference is with the 2 groups?

RememberWhen writes:

standing ovations only matter when you're in the Victory formation with a minute left on the clock against FL, BAMA, GA....hell, even Vandy or KY would do at this point....til then, it's all petty feel good nonsense.

orangecountyvols writes:

NavalOranges, Witchy, and Volz4gzus. My apology friends. When thinking about a list of positive Vol people, how could we forget you?

Anyway, this Joshua Dobbs is really sounding like a great catch. Excellent skills, great character and endless possibilities. Plus, the rest of the group of recruits appears to be fine young men with a real chance to help the Vols.

Vol43 writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

I'm not sure you're capable of doing so, but I have a serious question for you. We, as fans, have no say so regarding the hiring of anyone at UT. All of these matters are beyond our control. If we somehow had such influence and power, I seriously doubt we would have chosen Dooley, for example. In spite of the tumult that has resulted, we remain fans. Fans to the end. Faithful, hopeful, and strong. You, on the other hand, resort to childish name calling 'sheep'. What good purpose does this serve? What would you like to hear from us? I'd like to know. Should we start trashing these coaches? Bad mouthing the university and calling 'em out? Really, how should we as loyal fans, be acting. I want to know.

Vol43 writes:

Fingers tapping

Vol43 writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

No you didn't answer the question. One more time and please pay close attention. We had no say into the hiring of Hart nor anyone else. What we do have is a coach and a football program. We can choose to support the program or act like you. I can see now it's gonna be a long summer listening to you calling Vol fans' names and thinking you're intellectually superior. If this makes you feel good and it somehow feeds your twisted thinking, then go for it.

govols082859#1369959 writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Chill out Glenn. Tennessee has offered a scholarship to Elder, and coach GM is talking to him about basketball. Why aren't you over asking him why he didn't sign the papers and send them in yesterday. It is Elder who said he wasn't planning to sign on NSD, not UT who didn't give him a chance.

Seems he is more interested in GT or other schools. Maybe he knows he could get more play time in the ACC?

Get your facts straight and your panties out of a wad.

BigOrangeSmoker writes:

I dont care where the best players are as long as they are playing football on Saturday for The Vol Nation...wheather they come from Hilham Tenn or Memphis Tenn just bring em in coach

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

Jones’ "best staff in the USA" University of Cincinnati coaches did not do well recruiting in the big-time.

The SEC-level coaches hired by Jones recruited okay, but were working with team-members easy for competitive recruiters to target as not Big Time.

For instance: Bell and his world knew about Urban Meyer, another guy from Ohio.

Fact: Jones says things publicly that are not accurate: He calls this class "selective.” His SEC-experienced coaches are more forthcoming: "ran out of time," "improved…with H.S. coaches," etc.

Fact: Jones claimed he could win the SEC with State of Tennessee players; was publicly corrected by Phillip Fulmer, who said UT must recruit nationally.

Fact: Jones missed on most of the best talent in Tennessee, as evidenced by the following Rivals chart:

Some of UT’s 21 scholarships went to East Tennessee H.S. players, iffy as SEC caliber. Same elsewhere for Jones, too, including a 2-star from a J.C. In Junior Colleges, UT finished by taking players that many of the better programs in the country had picked over. Did UT coaches EVER do that before?

Fact: Essentially this class averages 2.5 stars.

Fact: Bama, SC, GA, LSU, Ole Miss, Auburn, A&M, & others in the SEC finished higher---MUCH higher.

Fact: Some of the UT signees were only offered by schools as fill-ins, in conferences that are nowhere near UT's level Clearly finishing with recruits whose rankings were fudged upward is not encouraging. This class is behind many schools from other conferences, too.

Final Fact: UT’s is one of the 10 largest football budgets in the country. The UT Athletics department spends a BILLION DOLLARS A DECADE. The governor says it must fill the stadium for the numbers to work. Dooley's last few games had 70,000 in the 100,000+ capacity Neyland Stadium. The official line is “only had 31-days. ” But if the ex-Cincinnati staffers had been able to recruit nationally, they would have brought in a recruit or two that was more than 2-stars, re-ranked to 3. Can you tell yourself just how those 35,000+ seats are going to be filled by what has happened in the past 31 days.

Clearly there is LONG, LONG way from the lead up to the National Championship of the Majors/Fulmer years & what Jones says is a "selective" class was recruited.

In fact, he previously said he could win the SEC with in-state players, & then lost the in-state recruiting battles in a big way to multiple SEC schools and UCLA and Minnesota and even MTSU.

Jones & part of his staff have many concerned. Apparently these young journalists are not among them. Wonder if these reporters were riding on the UT plane with the coaches.

Thanks Hart. Thanks Hamilton. Thanks Cheek. Thanks President of the Week.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

Ewe should remember all of your aliases..NGTH!

Vol43 writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

Lemme try it this way since your comprehension skills are lacking. Why do you call me a 'sheep'? Let's start with something simple and go from there.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

What do you expect in 5 to 6 weeks. Every recruit knew all year Dooley would be fired so I ask you...Could you turn around a company in 5 to 6 weeks? Hire 21 new employees? No...

Vol43 writes:

Initially, I thought you to be merely belligerent, but I'm beginning to see you as simply obtuse. I asked you a direct question and you dance around it. Why do you refer to me as a sheep?

Vol43 writes:

BTW the last remark was for you revolver just in case you missed it.

Vol43 writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Ok since you barged in, let me ask you the same question. As fans of UT sports, what are we supposed to do? Like revolver, bet you can't answer that.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

If you know my whereabouts then I must have invited you for pig sticking and a beat-down..Just sayin'.

8ball writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

Whoever this guy is he is obviously bitter towards UT sad that he has to vent this way. Seeing a Psychiatrist would help a lot more.