Tennessee-Vanderbilt game takes on special meaning for Lady Vols

Tennessee's "Live Pink, Bleed Orange" game against Vanderbilt on Sunday holds more meaning for Lady Vols coach Holly Warlick.

Warlick's sister, Marion Ferrill, underwent a double mastectomy last November after being diagnosed with breast cancer.

"As my efforts have been to find a cure for everyone, it got real personal this fall," Warlick said Wednesday during the team's media availability. "It has a huge meaning for me on Sunday."

Warlick and former Lady Vol assistant Nikki Caldwell — now LSU's head coach — established the Champions for a Cause organization in 2007. They've crossed the country on motorcycle rides to raise funds for breast cancer research.

Sunday's game is part of the Play 4Kay women's basketball initiative to support the Kay Yow Cancer Fund. Both Tennessee and Vanderbilt will wear different shades of pink uniforms. Fans are encouraged to wear pink and 11,000 T-shirts will be given away at the game, which tips off at 5 p.m. at Thompson-Boling Arena.

The Lady Vols and Knoxville Ice Bears hockey team have a joint promotion this weekend. Fans attending Saturday night's "Pink in the Rink" game at the Civic Coliseum will receive a $2 discount if they show a ticket stub or proof of purchase of Lady Vols tickets for Sunday. Likewise, Ice Bears ticket holders can show their stubs Sunday to receive $3 off a general admission ticket to the Lady Vols game.

Breast cancer survivor Donna Hardy, the sister of former UT track & field standout Audry Hardy, will present the game ball. Fellow survivors Megan Schmidt and Rhonda Mullins will serve as guest coaches.

And Warlick's sister will be in attendance.

"That is an example to me of being courageous and understanding what you have to do and tackling it head on," Warlick said. "... We're very blessed she made it through."

Foggie Hurt: Vanderbilt guard Christina Foggie suffered a right knee injury during the second half of last Sunday's 75-53 loss to Kentucky and had to be carried to the locker room. She's expected to miss at least seven to 10 days.

Foggie is Vanderbilt's second-leading scorer, averaging 15.7 points per game. The 5-foot-9 junior is the Commodores' most productive 3-point shooter with 57. She scored 22 points in an 83-75 loss to UT on Jan. 24 in Nashville.

Recruiting: Warlick and assistant coaches Kyra Elzy and Jolette Law were in attendance Tuesday at a high school game in South Carolina that featured top 2014 prospects A'ja Wilson and Jatarie White.

Wilson, a 6-4 forward from Hopkins, S.C., is ranked No. 1 in the class by ESPN HoopGurlz. White, a 6-4 post from Charlotte, is ranked No. 12.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Volinflan writes:

I'm sorry to hear that Foggie won't be able to play Sunday. She's been a pain in our --- forever but it won't be the same as playing Vandy without her.

Speaking of recruiting: thanks GOVOLSXTRA for the updates. There is a couple of really seriously good players in that game that we would like to have. I have looked at the current ESPN top Sixty for the class of 2014 and of the sixty already 10 have committed (none to UT). Would we not love to start seeing some names like Alexa Middleton and Jatari White showing up as commits to UT?

A few days ago there was a publication that UT had "offered" Middleton. How many do you think they have "offered"? How many can they? With Carter starting again next year in the freshman class, they will (by my very unlearned calculation) have four scholarships to offer next fall - no to fill.

Speaking of recruiting, has the Lady Vols Staff finished for this year? There is a wing from Florida (I. Small) that has not given many hints where she wants to play. Also, although Jessica Jackson committed to Arkansas, she has not signed any papers and I bet when contact can be made again March 1, there will be a lot of coaches beating her door down.

Theo writes:

Also, sorry to hear Kaela Davis is out for the rest of her senior season. I was really disappointed that she decided to go to Ga Tech but it sounds like she is really struggling with a chronic condition. Hope she can get that straightened out. She was almost a Lady Vol Forever so I'll still root for her.

Volinflan writes:

I'm with you on the Kaela Davis thing. I thought she could have been one of the four cornerstones for several banners to hang. One of the things about recruiting, a lot of the "cant miss players" never play out. I hope Davis does. I mean play up to her expectations.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

in response to Theo:

This might have been the reason to keep their daughter closer to home. Best wishes to her and her college career and future.

ps11824 writes:

with Foggie out (possibly) for Sunday evening, is there another Commodore who is likely to 'go off' on us? We have allowed key player opponents to set personal scoring records against us in several games this season. I hope we can defend and score like our SEC season depends on it. With A&M on our heels and KY lurking we need a huge finish to get a sure bye in the tourney.

Momentum is our friend right now. Rehab & recoup are BFNs for sure. Vandy always makes me nervous. They are feisty.

rickangstadt#239402 writes:

The refs needto mke sure their feistiness doesn't result in addtional Lady Vol injuries.

in response to Volinflan:

Of course, any school can "offer" scholarships to everybody in the country. The only numerical limitation is on how many you can sign. As a practical matter, schools are often judicious in their early offers because they don't want to scare good players away if they seem to be loading up on certain positions. I would say there is little chance they would yank their offer, if one is or has been made, to Middleton, but early offers are often spurs for some prime targets to commit early, lest that scholarship not be available later.

Volinflan writes:

I noticed last fall that a couple of girls had committed to North Carolina. Then DeShields, Gray, Washington, and Mavunga committed and these two girls (I think they may have been twins) de-committed. Typically when these girls "commit", sometimes way early, like in the eighth grade, have they received an offer from the school?

in response to Volinflan:

I'm pretty sure the offer has to precede the commitment. A player who "commits" before she is "offered" is at most saying that she REALLY wants to go there, but the school has no obligation to her unless it has already made the "offer", so she would be foolish to say she is committed before she is offered. Strange as it may seem, some schools HAVE made actual offers to very young kids and some have accepted them. Not many of those relationships stay strong all the way through to enrollment, though.

Volinflan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I mentioned the eighth grade because, dealing up from a slightly senile memory, seems L. Avant "committed" to Tennessee in the eighth grade. That of course could mean many things. She could have told the press she was going to play, she could have told Pat (or her recruiter on hand) she was going to play at Tennessee, or a person from Tennessee told her that they wanted her to play for Tennessee. Since I grew up just down the road from Lausanne the school, where Avant went to school, I sort of kept up with her over the following years. For one thing for sure, if Pat or her staff told Avant she could play at Tennessee then 4 years later they would keep their promise. I wonder if the North Carolina staff is that way. I didn't like that they had "commits" from a couple of kids and then ran out of scholarships.

"Not many of those relationships stay strong all the way through to enrollment, though". For sure a lot of the kids change their minds. They only get recruited once. University's have to do it year after year and I would think a bad reputation of reneging on "offers" would be a very bad reputation.

in response to Volinflan:

Interesting. I didn't know all that background on Avant, but the phenomenon of "offering" more athletes than there are scholarships available goes on everywhere. As I said, it is used by schools as an incentive to get players to commit as early as possible. Then schools change their minds and/or change coaches. Athletes change their minds, often BECAUSE schools change coaches or because offers are made by schools they REALLY want to go to instead of just the one that offered first. Some people fall through the cracks. It's sad sometimes, but it happens everywhere.

Theo writes:

OK, I am hereby officially commiting to play golf for Stanford. I have four years of eligibility left. Please send my papers, line up the tv cameras, I'm signing!!!!

ps11824 writes:

"Live Pink, Bleed Orange"
RIP, Paula Towns, so young.

mutt writes:

The rumor in the high school coaches circle in Georgia is that the illness is not the reason Kaela Davis is not playing at Buford.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Great article I found about Graves

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

That does put her refusal of Tennessee's offer in a new light. This is a tough thing for an athletic kid to have to deal with. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

in response to maxvolfan#217855:

Great article I found about Graves

Max, I am truly grateful for all these great links you continue to send us! I don't have the time or patience to surf as widely as you seem to, so I'm glad somebody on here has the time and interest to do it. No question in my mind now where Bashaara's tremendous "want-to" comes from. All honor to her for making the most of her opportunity!

in response to Theo:

Go get 'em, Theo! Hit 'em long and straight!

Volinflan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Go get 'em, Theo! Hit 'em long and straight!

Well, Theo, have you be "offered" yet?

Theo writes:

in response to Volinflan:

Well, Theo, have you be "offered" yet?

Well I was kind of going for the commit first, offer later model. No problem there right?

Volinflan writes:

in response to Theo:

I hope you get a four year ride and all the Mulligans you want/need!

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Curious to see where Ieshia Smalls ends up. She made the Mcd All team so she most be pretty good