WR Drae Bowles first player picked in 'VOLympics'

The first player to be drafted was redshirt freshman wide receiver Drae Bowles.

The last to be picked, the so-called "Mr. Irrelevant,' was defensive coordinator John Jancek.

In between, 79 UT players and 10 coaches were selected by one of 10 "teams" whose captains are vying to win the "VOLympics."

The competition created by new coach Butch Jones is similar to the one he used at Cincinnati. Teams earn points by competing in VOLympic competitions, doing well in class and representing the program positively by volunteering, attending events and adhering to the dress code. Teams can be docked points if players sag their pants or skip a study hall.

The winning team will be crowned during a "Night of Champions."

UT said captains were selected by their teammates — not coaches — so the two players in charge of each team could be a good barometer of emerging leaders under the new coaching staff.

The captains are: Brian Randolph and Jason Croom (Team Power T), Antonio "Tiny" Richardson and A.J. Johnson (Team Checkerboard), Justin Worley and Eric Gordon (Team the Hill Gang), Marlon Walls and Rajion Neal (Team Rocky Top), Ja'Wuan James and Channing Fugate (Team Smokey), Corey Miller and Nathan Peterman (Team Neyland), Curt Maggitt and Marlin Lane (Team Orange & White), Zach Fulton and Raiques Crump (Team The Rock), Brent Brewer and James Stone (Team Vol. Navy) and Byron Moore and Maurice Couch (Team Vol. Walk).

Players dressed in coats and ties, with moderator Terry Fair, a quality control assistant, presiding over the NFL-style draft.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

wigmeister writes:

Sounds like a good competition!

MtnMike91 writes:

Very creative! Hopefully this will serve as a good team building activity and help some of these kids stay out of trouble. Looking forward to the fall already!

rb4346 writes:

Will be interesting to see what team loses and the reason why. Sound like CBJ will have a very competetive team this year and this is part of the training. Some of you may disagree with me but I think we are lucky we got CBJ and crew, they are going to get the players to give all they have on the playing field. I for one am very excited for football to start. GBO!!!.

TheVolSnake writes:

what Super Bowlers had to say about Vols coaches including UT Coach Jones

Go Vols

DC82_Vol writes:

I see positive things with CBJ. I think the kids can relate to him. He is building a team atmosphere.

I hope his coaches can coach and he can motivate. I just want to see some positive progression this year. You could really sense the frustration in the guys last year. They seemed at a loss. That is where coaching should step in.

lstbodeanvol writes:

very cool hope randolph is healing up we are going to need him this fall..Go Vols

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

I sure hope this works.

6972 writes:

in response to TheVolSnake:

what Super Bowlers had to say about Vols coaches including UT Coach Jones

Go Vols

Thanks for the link. GBO

6972 writes:

If this helps to build a healthy competitive spirit, encourages self respect, and promotes scholastic effort, then I'm all in.

whatmeworry writes:

Coach Jones and Co. have already done more relationship wise in two months than Dooley did in three years.He's laying a foundation state wide with coaches and administrators that will open doors for the future.He and his staff are obviously relentless and motivated.This will pay big dividends sooner rather than later.

Theo writes:

Wow, coat and tie, NFL style draft. Sounds like a lot of fun and a great team activity. I am repeating myself but one of the things I like about CBJ is a lack of cynicism. He seems positive and sincere. Honestly we need more of that in society as a whole not just the UT football program.

SewaneeVolFan writes:

Sounds like it was fun; hope it keeps up being fun and, more important, does the positive things it aims to do.

CarlChilders writes:

Maybe I'm old, but when did study hall become a formal class? I've never heard of college level study hall.

bspurlingcac#225603 writes:

CBJ…He can get it done if given time!

At UC in his first year Coach Butch Jones seemed to be very corn ball to some of his players. They struggled somewhat that season and got off to a slow start. In the second year the player started buy in and came to understand that Coach Jones is really that guy and truly believes in this/his motivational stuff. That everything he was doing was designed to help the players in all areas of their life as well as making them great football players. The UC Bearcats did do much better and are still benefiting from his leadership. It will take time for UT to get back to the competitive level we all enjoyed in the past. We will all need to be patient as the program builds. Next year could be a tough one.
I am hoping that the Vols can find a way to win a game or two that no one thinks they can and that they win the games they are expected to win. Then the Vol player and fans will be all in if they are not already. GBO!

UTvols33 writes:

Go Vols! Beat Florida!

CroKev writes:

Why are all ST guys like Darr, Palardy, & Brodus picked dead last? Not only are they crummy players, but they evidently have bad character as well. Let's make their schollys available to guys we can count on both on and off the field.

Also, I wonder how Da'Rick, Jansen, Bryce, and Bray would have done on such a list? I really like this approach because it allows the players to tell us whom they really respect and, just as importantly, whom they don't. Long overdue exercise.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to CroKev:

Orange_Juiced writes:

in response to CroKev:

Exactly.

Your assessment is the reason a redshirt freshman was chosen first. Drae is the epitome of good morals and he shows it in his daily walk. Good kid.

Ironcity writes:

in response to illinoisvolfan:

Why focus on the end of the list instead of the beginning. Also My guess is if Bray, Bryce, and Janzen would have still been here they all would have been captains.

VOLS_and_REDSOX_4ever writes:

in response to CroKev:

How very ignorant of you because they were drafted according to position after the first rd it was DL, LB's, QB RB TE, WR DB's, then special teamers, then coaches. Good try though.

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to Ironcity:

You may be right, especially about Janzen (weed and all). However, no one connected to the team seemed too upset when Bryce decided to transfer. And I honestly don't remember too many teammates defending Bray regarding his attitude. I might be a bit biased regarding Tyler, because I think he might be one of the biggest disappointments in recent memory who wore the Orange and White.

Ironcity writes:

in response to illinoisvolfan:

Poor Tyler had no chance being coached by Dooley. My reasoning on those players is if they are still here they are seniors and they would have had to have walked the straight and narrow line.

62vol writes:

in response to CroKev:

Wow. You have come to a false conclusion and slandered folks in the process.

Orange_Beach writes:

Maybe they can all hold hands and play ring around the roses.

VolGrad writes:

Updates on 2014 Recruiting: http://www.footballtime.com/2013/02/1...

Reel 'em in, CBJ!

VolGrad writes:

Updates on 2014 Vol Targets: http://www.footballtime.com/2014-vol-...

GBO!

gohawks1 writes:

So far, I'm liking everything I hear about Coach Butch. I feel better about this coaching staff than any other in several years.

gohawks1 writes:

in response to Orange_Beach:

Maybe they can all hold hands and play ring around the roses.

Nah, that's a Bammer tradition.