Alabama student details alleged beating at hands of football players

This booking photo released Tuesday, Feb. 12, 2013 by the Tuscaloosa Police Dept. shows University of Alabama football player Eddie Williams. Three University of Alabama football players, including Williams, have been charged with knocking students unconscious and stealing their wallets, while a fourth player has been charged with using a stolen debit card, officials said Tuesday. (AP Photo/Tuscaloosa Police Dept.)

In an interview with the University of Alabama's student newspaper, Samuel Jurgens details the alleged events that took place on a night when he was said to have been beaten bloody and unconscious and robbed by four Alabama football players.

Arrest reports from the university police department list Eddie Williams, Tyler Hayes, Dennis Pettway and Brent Calloway as being involved in various aspects of the alleged crime, with Williams said to have been the one that delivered a surprise knockout blow from behind an unsuspecting Jurgens.

Williams is also alleged to have led the assault on a second Alabama student, Caleb Paul, in a parking lot later that evening.

According to the newspaper, Williams and Hayes admitted to taking part in the assault on Jurgens, with Williams further admitting to the assault on Paul, alleged to have taken place with Pettway's help.

Calloway faces the least serious charges of the group, having apparently admitted to using a credit or debit card to purchase snacks despite knowing it had been stolen.

Despite it all, Jurgens told the paper, "This was just a matter of chance. I’m still gonna love Alabama football."

All four players remain on the football team, under suspension.

Read the complete interview detailing the incident at Crimson White.

jfuston writes:

All of these players should be immediately kicked off the team and kicked out of school. This is a disgrace.

Mboroalum writes:

3 on 1 and you have to sucker punch a kid from behind? Class act.

BigOrangeblood writes:

Looks like these guys won't be getting medals in the VOLympics.

underthehill writes:

If I was the parent of the victim..I would expect the courts to treat the attackers as criminals..which they appear to be..their bail should have been much higher..why wasn't it..their crime should receive the appropriate penalty..time in jail..

jt45 writes:

My guess is some lawyer and the University will try and settle this out of court after a few delays to get the issue to cool off.

Those boys might as well have torn up winning lottery tickets for all the money this will cost them in the end.

Some time spent in a REAL lockup is what they need to get some of their own medicine. Sucker punching would be the least of their problems then.

I hope the Victims make them pay heavily.

6972 writes:

Jocks think they are gods but they sometimes are as dumb as dirt. I can't believe they are still on the team, just suspended. What does it take to have a thug kicked off the team? Unbelievable! If you or I had knocked someone unconscious, guess where we would be?

mumfordfan writes:

The victim refers to how he is still a Tide fan. What a total sheep! Does he have no manhood at all. THAT mentality is a huge problem. When weak-minded people become so blinded by this kind of "loyalty" that they lose the basic instinct to protect their very own dignity, there is not much hope.

BigBadVol writes:

I noticed that ESPN has been relatively quite about this incident. If this had happened at UT(like it did 4 years ago)it would be their opening act for the entire week.(It was)

BigBadVol writes:

in response to mumfordfan:

Agreed!

wyomingvol writes:

I bet they knocked his tooth out.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to BigBadVol:

Big bad,

Last night ESPN had the two guys who are pretty knowledgeable, yet funny, ( can't think of their names ) who comment on certain topics until the bell goes off to begin another subject............and both of them said...........these 4 should not be suspended, rather booted out of school.

What price national championships........to have talented, yet thug guys wearing red and white uniforms. Really takes a bit of that glitter off the crystal ball.

PUL4VOLS writes:

Well as long as Jurgens is "still gonna love Alabama football" all is well! Sad events when young men choose the wrong way, the wrong things in their lives. It would seem they will face the music. It will be interesting to see just what the "music" is they will face.

budd#207344 writes:

At least these guys got some money and a credit card. All our guys got was a cheeseburger.

Orangethrunthru writes:

I'm assuming that the victim was white. I see no mention of his color so.. I am of a minority persuasion so.. Had it been an attack by white guys on a black student well.... yeah it would be the lead story on ESPN and many other places I imagine.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Orangethrunthru:

Probably true, because America isn't concerned about true justice anymore. A good racist story sells more papers and garnishes immediate attention by Al Charlatan and others of that ilk.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

Maybe Nick should contact Urban about how to dole out punishment. Maybe 10 lashes across the forehead with a wet noodle. No college team needs this kind of embarrasment.

Orange_Beach writes:

in response to 6972:

You're right, had you or I committed these crimes we would be doing some time but it would not be all over the news and internet. The victims weren't random at all. These were hate crimes. If I get into specifics about why KNS will take this down so you just have to figure it out yourselves. Had the Williams kid not been arrested two days prior for carrying a gun without a permit this would have been armed robbery.

Hound_Dog69 writes:

They should be kicked out of school and not allowed to play football at any college,ever. After that they should be sent to prison, and if the thugs are all of the same race and were targeting members of another race to beat and rob then they should also be charged with a hate crime! This is what happens when you recruit gang bangers from the hood and put them around normal people, they just can't help themselves, they have to resort to their true violent criminal behavior. It's not all their fault though because it's in their DNA.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Big bad,

I saw that on PTI. They were right. If that's what it takes to win a NC then I'm ok without UT winning another one. Why is it the thugs have all the talent?

bjohns23 writes:

I don't have a problem with the victim remaining a fan. If this happened to me, I would still be a vol fan so long as these guys were kicked out of school and thrown into jail. However, if they were just suspended or allowed to play again at all, I would sue each of them along with the school.

dirty_don writes:

in response to BigBadVol:

Thugs don't have all the talent. See Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Eric Berry, Reggie White, etc.....
Yet another reason to drop them like a bad habit.

BigBadVol writes:

in response to dirty_don:

Yet another reason to drop them like a bad habit.

Very true!

laraccoon writes:

in response to mumfordfan:

if youve ever spent any time in Bama its easier to understand . half trash and half inbreds .

tennrich1 writes:

While I do think rehabilitation is possible I think CRIMES as loathesome as these (crimes against humanity in my opinion) deserve swift, harsh, laborous punishment...are they kids? Not really....until we get back to giving punishment for punishable deeds I fear we will see this continue....This is an extremely sad story in my eyes...

volnbig11land writes:

Where are the bammer trolls on this one?????

<crickets>

volboy81 writes:

in response to laraccoon:

So true! There should only be 49 states. That place should be used for dumps and prisons. I bet if they hadnt of just won their 856th (by their count) national title in football, he wouldnt care if they won or lost. There is no excuse for the state of Alabama to exist.

MetroplexMojo writes:

How can guys who have to rob and assault someone to get snacks have enough money to post approx. $200k in bail (within NCAA rules)?

John_10065 writes:

Darn, he is dressed in orange!

bbmon13#478091 writes:

in their demented world, this gives these losers street cred - street cred is another term for aspiring to be nothing more than a piece of human debris, dumped upon the garbage pile of history.

beating a defenseless person unconcious and stealing from them - takes real courage to go 3 on 1 against someone. you know you never hear of a 1 on 1 situation - because ultimately, these guys are cowards.

BaldingEagle writes:

in response to John_10065:

Darn, he is dressed in orange!

That's because they don't make houndstooth jumpsuits!!! yet!

exlineman writes:

There will be a soft plea bargaining and some alumni will cough up some laundered money and you won't hear anymore about this case. That is the way Al. does business. The charges will be reduced to a lesser charge and after 6 months will be expunged to prepare for their glory days in the thug nfl. These colleges should be punished severely in some capacity, includng our team with some of our thugs in the past. Every college is recruiting some of these thugs. They grow up pushing kids around in school and on the playground and think they can continue as adults. If the NFL, the colleges and coaches would stop going after these thug bullies, sports would be a lot cleaner and their ready made futures of big money would be gone. I mean some of these idots playing sports can't even count the money they are to make in the future, much less managing their money. I love sports as well as anyone, but it is time we quit pacifying these bullies, who hurt the image of good quality athletes, that don't get the breaks as some of these bullies. We need more Eric Berry's, Reggie Whites, Jason Whitens, Bill Bates and many others who keep their noses clean and play the games we enjoy.

I watch very little pro sports, some football, no basketball. I love high school and college sports, but after they leave college, I have very little interest other than following some favorite UT athletes.

tennezz writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

Ole Urban would make them pay...He would make them sit out the kickoff of the 1st game!

Mansonlamps writes:

How is all this "alleged"? They admitted they beat the kid.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

Here's my prediction:

- Charges are dropped
- Maybe 1 player gets booted from the team while the others get a 3-game suspension
- Jurgen's wallet gets a lot heavier

My $0.02

TheHELLNOITGuy writes:

in response to Hound_Dog69:

Nice to know that the premise of "innocent until proven guilty" is alive and well in America.....

dirty_don writes:

in response to TheHELLNOITGuy:

Admission of the charge is about as good of proof as you can get

volhitman writes:

in response to laraccoon:

And the other half...well, I'm not going to go there.

MemphoVol writes:

in response to budd#207344:

Now THAT is funny! Just spewed all over my keyboard!

kazoo writes:

Why hasn't this guy been charged with assault? I've seen no reference to an assault charge. The victim should sue the players or press for assault charges himself, if the police won't do it--but he frankly sounds like another alabama state individual who is so delusional about alabama football that he attributes this crime to his bad luck. Oh, my! Get a grip, dude.

Rookie2 writes:

I don't see how this is not a felony. The UAPD seems to be treating this as not a big deal. This is a big deal. When you allow thugs like this to run around and seriously assault innocent people without severe consequences, you're asking for problems.

yabadabadoo1026 writes:

in response to mumfordfan:

so you really think the guy should denounce the entire Tide football program and no longer be a fan because of actions of 4 idiot low-life thugs??????? That to me would seem an unreasonable expectation if the thugs are punished appropriately---------i suspect you may be applying some kind of double standard since it was Alabama------probably didnt have the same opinion when our Tennessee muggee at Pilot expressed continued support of tenn football

CroKev writes:

The kid has to press charges if there's no admission and no witnesses and I doubt he has the kahunas to do so. I have no doubt that some money will pass on to him under the table, however...

illinoisvolfan writes:

in response to budd#207344:

That's all our guys wanted. They had the munchies.

TheHELLNOITGuy writes:

in response to dirty_don:

Admission of the charge is about as good of proof as you can get

I guess I should have finished the sentence, " innocent until proven guilty in a court of law". The newspaper said some admitted guilt, not the court. Unfortunately,some newspapers will print innuendo and speculation as truth just to be first on a story. I'm not saying they did not do it, let's just wait until the legal process has run its course.

Ayres_Hall writes:

in response to 6972:

Jocks are gods. If this had happend on the UT campus then our fans would be defending the jocks.

richvol writes:

If Saban does not do the right thing and kick this trash off the team I will lose all respect for him. The school should kick them out as well.

HooRay_Vol writes:

Does this remind anyone of Corey Zickfoose and Nu"kesse Richardson??????

DonK37920 writes:

Even if Saban does kick them out, sadly someone will give them a second chance whether they deserve it or not. We will probably be begging a couple of them to transfer here after a year in JUCO. Right now a lot of people are wanting Dyer or Crowell here and they both committed felonies

We kick off Aaron Douglas and he would have played against us at Alabama if not for his unfortunate death. Florida kicks out Cam Newton and he wins a NC for Auburn. We kick out Cam Clear and he is now at Texas A&M. The list goes on and on and on and on.....

What are coaches to do? They is a lot of pressure to win and if a player has talent, he will get a chance somewhere else, maybe even your rival.

The NCAA needs to take the decision out of the coaches hands. Any Felony and a player loses the right to play in the NCAA again. If he wants to pursue the NFL find another route, maybe Canada or something. No second chances for felonies and limited second chances for lesser crimes. Put some teeth behind committing crimes because obviously just the threat of getting arrested isn't enough anymore for some of these players.

bigdisbig writes:

in response to wyomingvol:

I bet they knocked his tooth out.

Great one! I'm still laughing

bigdisbig writes:

If this happened in Iran they would pull out each players tooth, burn their mobile home and cut off their mullets just before hanging them.