Lady Vols think offense against Vanderbilt, 83-64

(Saul Young/News Sentinel)

Photo by Saul Young, 2013 Knoxville News Sentinel

Tennessee's Bashaara Graves gets caught between Vanderbilt's Heather Bowe, left, and Jasmine Jenkins at Thompson-Boling Arena on Sunday, February 17, 2013. (Saul Young/News Sentinel)

A week off didn't faze Tennessee's scoring touch.

Conversely, the Lady Vols' defense often looked more rusty than rested against injury-depleted Vanderbilt on Sunday.

The tradeoff turned out favorable in the end. Tennessee's finishing kick transformed a nervous 10-point lead with five minutes left into an 83-64 SEC women's basketball victory.

Before a season-high crowd of 14,716 at Thompson-Boling Arena, No. 12 Tennessee (20-5, 11-1 SEC) returned from a seven-day break between games with a balancing act on offense. Meighan Simmons led five double-figure scorers with 17 points. The Lady Vols shot 55 percent (33-for-60) from the floor.

Ariel Massengale scored 14 points and Bashaara Graves had 13. Taber Spani and Jasmine Jones each scored 12.

"Everybody's capable of scoring in double digits," Simmons said. "When everybody gets their chance to go out to score, that's when the team shines."

Simmons passed former Lady Vol Alexis Hornbuckle to move into 25th place on the UT career scoring list with 1,333 points.

Jasmine Lister tied her career high with 24 points for Vanderbilt (16-9, 6-6), which shadowed UT across the second half, thanks to 50 percent field goal shooting during the final 20 minutes.

The Commodores started the game without injured starters Stephanie Holzer, Christina Foggie and Kady Schrann. The team returned 97.6 percent of its scoring from last season but the injured trio accounted for nearly half of that amount.

To make matters worse, Vanderbilt lost starting forward Tiffany Clarke, the team's leading scorer, at halftime Sunday because of illness.

"I don't know what else could go wrong," Vanderbilt coach Melanie Balcomb said.

The "Live Pink Bleed Orange" backdrop added an emotional component to the pregame events.

The "Champions For A Cause" Foundation created by UT coach Holly Warlick and former Lady Vols player/assistant Nikki Caldwell gave $15,000 to three separate organizations.

Warlick presented a special pink game ball to her sister, Marion Ferrill. She underwent a double mastectomy last November.

"To see her there as a survivor, it's absolutely emotional," Warlick said. "I gave her a ball and said, 'you're my greatest hero.' "

Women's Basketball Hall of Famer Robin Roberts, who's battled cancer, also was in attendance. She was sitting with UT head coach emeritus Pat Summitt.

Tennessee jumped out to a 14-5 lead but couldn't sustain its momentum. Thus began the game's storyline.

"At one point, we were (trading) baskets," Graves said. "That's what was killing us. We just weren't getting the stops that we needed."

The difference in the first half was UT's Jones, who shot 5-for-6 from the floor and scored 10 points. She had scored eight in the three previous games combined.

"I was just more composed than usual," she said.

Vanderbilt's freshmen threatened to become difference makers in the second half. Four of them were on the floor at one time. Two of them — Heather Bowe and Morgan Batey — finished with 10 points apiece.

"I think the effort is there," Balcomb said. "If you see them get tired, it's because they haven't played so many minutes, but they're really starting to figure it out."

Lister called her freshman teammates, "fearless."

Warlick called her team undisciplined.

"I thought we would have been more consistent and more disciplined, because we did work on that (this week) quite a bit," Warlick said. "We were giving up penetrations to the basket and we ran into some screens."

The Lady Vols go back to work in preparation for Thursday's home game against Auburn.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

tomkats3242 writes:

Why does the UT administration allow ESPN to jerk them and the fans around. They made the fans, who could not make it to the game, watch inferior ball games instead of carrying UT's game as advertised. I think Hart owes the fans an apology and a promise that this will not happen again or maybe he should inform ESPN to park their trucks far away from the buildings in the future.

voloffaith writes:

in response to tomkats3242:

That explains that as I called my mom and said esPn2 had Lady Vols and she replied terpettes vs. cavalierettes was her entree.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Anyway, good game LV's (turnovers need to be limited) but a solid win and now 27 & 0 against dorettes at TBA..GBO!!

Volinflan writes:

in response to tomkats3242:

What are you talking about? I just watched
the game on ESPN. Chattanooga area, cable.

BxVol writes:

in response to tomkats3242:

In the Atlanta area, game was on ESPN 2.The Atlanta paper did not list the game as being shown.
Offensively our Lady Vols looked good, proud of the large number of assists to turnovers.We took many good shots and were unselfish which resulted in those shots.I was happy to see Taber hit a short jumper straight on as this is a shot for some reason she has stopped going to and which was so effective for her early in her career.Loved the plays in which first Taber and then Kamiko found a wide open Simmons for the three ball.Thought Ariel had a very good game and a great spark was provided by Double Jay. Defensively still a lot to work on as way too many wide open treys and drives straight to the basket.We get picked it seems over and over again especially when we are in zone.Our team sometimes falls asleep on the give and go and back door cuts.
In conclusion way to go Lady Vols and keep on working and improving.

SoddyVol writes:

in response to Volinflan:

What are you talking about? I just watched
the game on ESPN. Chattanooga area, cable.

They carried terpettes vs. cavalierettes up until tip off of Vols game then switched to Vols game.

HazardKYVol writes:

in response to Volinflan:

What are you talking about? I just watched
the game on ESPN. Chattanooga area, cable.

I watched it here in Hazard on ESPN2 through Dish Network. Good game!

jt45 writes:

Good win, but I wish Ariel would stop trying to force those low inside passes that almost always end up to low for anyone to catch.

Good offensive game,
Defense not so much.

voloffaith writes:

in response to SoddyVol:

Confirmed captain of choo choo area that my mom no longer watched the other 'ettes.....

movinonup writes:

Robin Roberts/Pat Summitt---two class acts sitting together. Way to go Lady Vols !

ktemaque1 writes:

I watched the whole game in the Tri-Cities area.

ktemaque1 writes:

Congrats to Holly's Lady Vols on a great win!

Razor784 writes:

I live 20 minutes out of Knoxville and they showed the entire Maryland/Virginia game up until the last 3 minutes when all of the other ESPN games ended

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

I watched the game and it was a sleeper. Hard to gauge how well we improved with a depleted team like Vandy. I worry about our post play against TAMU. I believe that game will be a harder game to win than UK. I hope Kelsey Bone disappears like Tiffany Clark did against us today. We take care of her we win. Tomorrows game will be a excellent scout of both teams. If Tamu beats UK then we just need to beat TAMU. Let's beat them both! Oh yeah congrats to CW for being the first Lady Vol coach to reach 20 games in her first year.

abnermc writes:

We saw entire game on espn2 on U-Verse

AHOUSE writes:

Our newspaper here in Richmond had the vols game scheduled and the sorry espn jerks changed it and show the wohoos instead.
The networks are really getting greedy and have taken control over games with so many commercials. You can't watch and listen to a game without the announcers talking about something else other than the game. Worse there is nothing we can do about it.

Theo writes:

Anytime we beat Vandy it's great. Their three point shooters always worry me. You never know when one is going to get super hot. As much as I feel Lady Vols got hit by the injury bug Vandy got hit worse. Still 100% healthy on both teams, we still win by 20 IMO.
I think Ariel is improving through out the season. Love that she is scoring a bit more now. I would say, however, if she is going to go for the low, high speed bounce pass to the post they need to practice it more. Tough, tough pass to field, particularly while being bumped around.
Loved Meighan behind the back to Ariel on the fast break. Sure Vandy hated it.
My favorite play of the game, however, was mid-late in the second half when JJ just flew out of no where and grabed a defensive rebound. Just demanded that it was hers. Great game for JJ. Really, really improved - big future.
BG, CB and JJ are going to have to bring it against Bone.

WCBB_FAN writes:

A win is a win. I watched a team play today like they were less engerized for some reason. What puzzled me more than anything was the coaches decision with Massengale and Jones. Kamiko should have been playing the point instead of Ariel. She is a better ball handler. AM had at least 6 or 7 turnovers. Jones should have been in the starting lineup in the 2nd half. She was the main reason the team was ahead in the first place. The next 4 games will be a true test for them.
1. Auburn is no pushover. Barely beat them @ Auburn
2. Arkansas is playing really well right now. Keep in mind @ Arkansas.
3. Texas A&M might be a little too much for these girls not having a true post player at the point and time.
4. Kentucky's defense and depth. They won't be able to hang with Wildcats.

chaos001 writes:

I cringe every time Ariel has the ball. Her passes are more than suspect.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to SoddyVol:

Nope, it wasn't on as advertised in my area. Instead, ESPN 2 had Maryland and the Virginia Lady Fighting Scissors.
Of course, I live so close to Charlottesville and UVA, maybe ESPN thought Virginia ( unranked and Maryland, unranked ) were more attractive matches?????? Who knows.

So I looked for ESPN 3 and drew a blank. Had to listen to Mickey through WNML, the Sports Animal.
Mickey was wondering how Lister kept disappearing from Tennessee's defense. Since I couldn't see it, I have to take Mickey's word for it but truthfully, this sounded like an off-game for the L Vols.

Theo writes:

in response to WCBB_FAN:

1. Auburn is no pushover. Barely beat them @ Auburn
2. Arkansas is playing really well right now. Keep in mind @ Arkansas.
4. Kentucky's defense and depth. They won't be able to hang with Wildcats.

Troll - Connecticut fan maybe - I can't remember.

jt45 writes:

in response to WCBB_FAN:

1. Auburn is no pushover. Barely beat them @ Auburn
2. Arkansas is playing really well right now. Keep in mind @ Arkansas.
4. Kentucky's defense and depth. They won't be able to hang with Wildcats.

Coach much ? Didnt think so !
1. Irrelevant
2. Who cares
3. Inaccurate
4. Yet to be determined, but keep rubbing that crystal ball you bought at Walmart.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to chaos001:

I cringe every time Ariel has the ball. Her passes are more than suspect.

Too bad - thats a "you" problem.

fake_basketball writes:

When do they play UCONN?

ps11824 writes:

I am happy we kicked Commodores' butts. Don't much matter how we did it. Way, way better than the opposite...

I do agree with some posters that we make ourselves vulnerable by unforced turnovers. I see Massengale still hurrying. Wish she could play with more discipline.

JJ was key today, good job. I'm thinking Graves can be one of the best Lady Vols we've seen in many years. Anxious to see the day when ALL our team is healthy, and Izzy, Burdi, JJ, Carter and Graves are jelling on the court. In my mind I'm seeing a dynamic ball team.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to 45ReVOLver:

You're right. 73-44 over Virginia. My mistake.

I haven't been looking at the rankings and had not heard much about either team so just assumed....wrong, obviously.

Thanks for the correction.

Theo writes:

in response to fake_basketball:

When do they play UCONN?

You should be careful what you wish for.
BTW, when is Geno's court date?

voloffaith writes:

in response to fake_basketball:

When do they play UCONN?

The question is which happens first...you growing up or Tennessee seeing them in nc2a....sadly I'm banking on in Nc2A will come first....You don't even like Women's bball as we all know. So again why post ? Yes , Yes only to agitate..we need to call you washing machine man...

in response to tomkats3242:

The same thing happened in my North Carolina market as well. Fortunately, I was able to watch the whole game on ESPN3. As annoying as ESPN can be on occasion, they have paid BIG bucks for the rights to these games, and the exposure the LVs get would be pretty hard to come by without them. I'm just glad there is usually an online alternative.

As for the game itself, it is hard to tell how much of the LVs often poor defense was due to the long layoff and how much was a continuation of similar problems they have experienced all season. Despite what I am sure are the best efforts of the coaching staff, this team just doesn't seem to have the killer instinct on defense, especially without Izzy Harrison. The problems of the perimeter players in playing their opponents closely go back several years. When they don't play tight on offense, which they do too often against the better teams, they can score enough to mostly overcome the lack of defensive intensity. That lack may well come back to haunt them when they get into the NCAAs. There are going to be games where they can't get out to run the way they prefer and they might not be hitting from outside. In those cases, they just HAVE to be able to get key stops often instead of only occasionally as they do now. When you couple their vulnerability to the drive with their frequent inability to control the defensive boards, they don't look like a good bet to make a Final Four this year. They are fun to watch when they are running and scoring, but that probably won't be the case in tournament play.

richvol writes:

in response to WCBB_FAN:

1. Auburn is no pushover. Barely beat them @ Auburn
2. Arkansas is playing really well right now. Keep in mind @ Arkansas.
4. Kentucky's defense and depth. They won't be able to hang with Wildcats.

We got by Vandy but won't beat really good teams with all those turnovers by Massingale. She is way too carsless with the ball and Holly plays her anyway. Williams is much better.

Jones should have definately started the second half after the great performance in the first.

Our post defense is suspect...Holly commented on it but she needs to get the sloppy point play under control. I lost count of Massingale's turnovers at six.

madrigal writes:

in response to tomkats3242:

I live in VA so I knew we would be stuck with MD-UVA, which was a pitiful game. UVA sports are pretty much a joke. So I watched online, and stupid ESPN did something that caused the last 2 1/2 minutes of the game not to be shown. We all know ESPN doesn't like UT, ever since their big story from the supposed "grade-fixer" back in the 90s didn't pan out.

Razor784 writes:

in response to Theo:

You should be careful what you wish for.
BTW, when is Geno's court date?

He'll probably slime out of those charges. How in the world can he recruit with all that's going on around him with those allegations. Who would want their daughter to even be close to him?

kmay1125 writes:

in response to Volinflan:

What are you talking about? I just watched
the game on ESPN. Chattanooga area, cable.

not everyone gets Chattanooga area tv.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Speaking of Izzy. Is she going to return this year? She is the missing link to what the Lady Vols apparently will need to make some real noise.

RLL59 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Agreed. Someone needs to find a solution to the defense problems, which are now at least 5 years old, and have been an issue with too many Lady Vol players. Many fans here remain optimistic that the problems will be resolved when the current players get more experience. But there's nothing magic about the first day one steps on the court in a new year. Progress needs to be made on a game to game basis, and that doesn't appear to be happening with any Lady Vol player this year. They win with athletic ability alone, and that's good enough to beat inferior teams most of the time...but not the best teams.

ps11824 writes:

johnlg I think it's just plain old negligence. They just don't practice discipline in fundamental basketball. Fundamentals do not allow sloppiness in any phase of the game, as you know quite well. No illegal screens, no hurrying anything, always looking to get the basketball and score, that's fundamental ball. No one knows that better than you, johnlg. fundamental basketball has been on hiatus from the LV program for years. John Wooden style ball, that's fundamental basketball.

KCHS63 writes:

in response to ps11824:

Sure. This team reminds of one that Pat Summitt pulled her hair out all year over because they wouldn't give full effort, 40 minute ball all year. That was, er, ah, 2008.

Fundamental ball? This team is playing like Pat Summitt's early teams, you remember, the ones Holly Warlick inspired with her fierce defensive effort. Are they there yet? Nope. Are they close? Yep.

r2d2 writes:

A lot of comments on this message board are lamenting the LVs poor defense. I believethat the lack of defense prowess is due to a couple of facts. One, the LVs are a relatively young team. Most young teams are better at offense than defense. Second, the LVs lack a true post player or center. I believe Bashaara is more of a power forward (like Lebron James) than a center. I hope Ms. Russell will rectify this situation next season. Connecticut is a good defensive team beacuse of a senior, Kellie Farris and a true center, Stefanie Dolson.

ps11824 writes:

KCHS63, I'm on your side, Lady Vols' side. I can't help wanting them to clean up a bit. Massengale in particular. She did score in double figures against Vandy, but she is still turning the ball over too much. Ariel's assist to turnover ratio hasn't been good all season. She may have turned it over 6 or more times yesterday. Just check stats, I don't make these things up. So many are unforced.A point guard is supposed to set the standard, set the play and make the pass to the player with the best chance of getting it thru the net. She needs to do that with authority and in control.

At times she sprints down the court and runs smack into the defender as if they should give her the right of passage. Problem is, she's done it several times in several games. IMO, she's making herself too easy to guard, too easy to pick.

But, as I said, I'm still a fan and I want them to win out.

We let Lister go off for 24 points too. That's another thing we do in almost every game - allow a player to score way too much. So, when we play these next few games, including A&M and KY, hopefully we will have learned to play under control. Now is the time to clean it up, don't you think?

in response to madrigal:

I got that last-two-minutes blackout also! I think that was just the end of that broadcast window, but I am REALLY glad it wasn't a nail-biter. I switched over to utsports.com and listened to the end. I doubt UT is the only team this happens to. It almost never happens on the regular ESPN network, but I have seen the same thing happen on CBS. ESPN will put the start of a game on one of the other channels if a game runs into the scheduled start time of a later one, but CBS just hangs you out to dry.

orangecountyvols writes:

Basketball fans,

No matter what your favorite team is, we've seen this several times this season.........the 2 hour time frame.

Let's say the Vols, U K, Florida etc game is to start at 9, the 2nd game.

There has been the 7:00 game that carried far over into the 2nd game's viewing. Worst of all, is the parade to the foul line to shoot free throws, stopping the clock, even in a game where the outcome even is not in doubt. Throw in those commercials too, and there's your delay in seeing the much anticipated 2nd game. Not that often thankfully, but it has happened.

Finally, one other little gripe. Some of these motor mouth announcers talk about everything other than the game, and often we don't even know who scored a basket. There, I'm finished !

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

I seriously doubt she will be back this year. Her absence magnifies the defensive problems we have seen for some time now. I'm not sure UT was a Final Four team even with her, but I give them no chance to make it now. That's OK; they have had a good season and gotten good experience for ladies who will be stars for years to come, especially Bashaara and JJ.

in response to ps11824:

"Negligence" is a pretty strong word, unless you mean that the LVs have not recruited for defensive footspeed for the last several years. Maybe a bit of rethinking of the recruiting strategy is in order. I'm not sure if anybody else has noticed it, but Pat's recruiting philosophy prefigured Calapari's at UK. Year after year, UT landed top-five type recruiting classes filled with players who put up big offensive numbers in HS. Then the idea was to teach these scoring stars how to share the ball and play defense. Since most of these girls weren't required to do much of that in HS, it was hard to change old habits. Hopefully the LVs will be more discriminating in their recruiting in terms of getting a couple of mainly defensive-oriented players in each class. It would help if they would use all the scholarships they are allowed. That would allow them to take a couple of girls who may not be great natural scorers but are willing to do the defensive dirty work and would probably be thrilled to join the LV program.

SoddyVol writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I agree a final 4 is doubtful. With a good seed, they could make the Elite 8.

The next two weeks are going to be very interesting. I expect the Vols to take care of Auburn in Knoxville but am a little concerned about the trip to Ark. They should be able to handle A&M in Knoxville as long as they play smart, alert defense and use their heads when passing the ball. They have the talent as long as no more injuries happen. I doubt they will have any trouble looking ahead to Ky. Win the games up to March 3 and the game in Lexington, with a sold out crowd, should have a lot of emotion. Win out and a 2 seed in the tourney is very possible. If the unthinkable were to happen and they lose to Ark plus another game or two and who knows where they might end up. I know they have the talent to win the SEC if they keep the right mental attitude.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

Many teams has a x factor player ...that without them their team would probably lose a couple games. A Duke team without Gray is gonna struggle, Kelly Faris is the glue to Uconn, Sims tonight will be key, of course take the ball out of Diggins hands and ND loses. Tennessee is a team where anyone on the team can score or make a difference . I agree about playing defense and not allowing a player to dump 33 pts or 24 pts on us but in some cases that will happen. It's all about shutting down the rest of the team. You might not stop Griner from getting 25+ on you but if u can play tight D on Sims and hope the other players are cold you might have a chance.

chaos001 writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Too bad - thats a "you" problem.

No, actually it isn't. I'm not on the team nor am I on the coaching staff. The girl turns the ball over at will...not a good characteristic for a point guard.

Just to prove my point, she had 64% of the team's turnovers. That's 7/11.

P A T H E T I C.

voloffaith writes:

in response to chaos001:

Just to prove my point, she had 64% of the team's turnovers. That's 7/11.

P A T H E T I C.

How many total turnovers is exactly 64%? I hate to tell you this,but she is the point guard who has the ball in her hands the most to set up the plays. Not disagreeing she should be a better caretaker, but her position has more chances at messing up.

voloffaith writes:

in response to chaos001:

Just to prove my point, she had 64% of the team's turnovers. That's 7/11.

P A T H E T I C.

64% is 67 to be exact...oops Meighan Simmons at 65...Ms. Harrison third at 55. 385 total TO's. Just helping you prove your case.....chaos reigns....

chaos001 writes: