John Adams: No Michael Dyer, even if UT in dire need

Auburn running back Michael Dyer (5) celebrates his game-winning touchdown over Utah State late in the fourth quarter of an NCAA college football game in Auburn, Ala., Saturday, Sept. 3, 2011. Auburn won 42-38. (AP Photo/Dave Martin)

Tennessee needs a running back. Michael Dyer needs a place to run.

It’s a match made in message-board and talk-show heaven, where it’s already a topic of conversation. The Sports Animal had callers inquiring about Dyer almost daily last week.

The pairing so natural you would assume the former Auburn star and UT are already talking.

You would assume that if you haven’t been listening to new Tennessee coach Butch Jones.

For UT’s purposes, Dyer couldn’t be any more off limits than if he had orchestrated a home invasion of Jones’ household.

He’s a repeat offender, kicked off teams at both Auburn and Arkansas State, where — in each case — he sometimes carried more than a football.

His handgun was used by Auburn teammates in a robbery. Dismissed from Auburn, Dyer transferred to Arkansas State, where he celebrated his second chance at college football by driving 96 miles per hour. When police checked his car trunk, they found a gun in the backpack.

UT needs a running back. It doesn’t need a two-gun kid.

Not after Jones has established “character” as a cornerstone for rebuilding a program that has had three consecutive losing seasons.

“A lot of coaches (talk about character),” Jones said. “We’re going to live it every day in our program.”

You can’t live like that and sign a player like Dyer, even if he did rush for more than 1,000 yards in the 2010 and 2011 seasons at Auburn.

Not all programs will pass on Dyer, who would be eligible to play in the fall if he graduates as expected this spring with an associate degree from Arkansas Baptist College in his hometown of Little Rock, Ark.

Those programs will weigh Dyer’s off-the-field transgressions against his production at Auburn and err on the side of touchdowns. My guess is one of them will be from the SEC.

The school that signs Dyer will spin it hard and fast in a familiar pattern. He made a couple of bad choices when he was younger. He’s not the same person now. He has become a law-abiding citizen in his year at Arkansas Baptist, where he supposedly hasn’t been caught with so much as a water pistol in his possession.

Maybe Dyer has turned his life around in the past year at the small school, which is further removed from big-time college football than Tennessee is from a BCS bowl. If so,

good for him. Good for society, too.

But Tennessee can’t be the site of his third college try, not if its coach wants to keep his words and actions in sync; not unless he wants to lay the foundation for his program on hypocrisy, rather than character.

Former UT coach Derek Dooley and his staff talked a lot about character. And in 2012, they signed defensive back Deion Bonner, who distinguished himself as a recruit by stealing from Georgia players on a official visit to the school.

Bonner didn’t last a year at UT. He was suspended indefinitely for a violation of team rules in mid-November and is no longer on the team, hopefully having departed without any of his teammates’ possessions.

Talented, troublesome players have a recent history of not working out at Tennessee, which got only one really productive season from safety Janzen Jackson (2010) and wide receiver Da’Rick Rogers (2011) before they were dismissed. Both had more chances than they deserved, mainly because the Vols needed a hard-hitting safety and a big-play wide receiver.

Now, they need a running back.

They need more than a running back, though. They also need a coach who doesn’t just talk a good game.

Jones tells us he’s that coach. He can prove it one day — and one decision — at a time.

voloffaith writes:

Now this article is back to the regular formula of downing the Vols and actually make it look like we were considering Dyer even though his points said we wouldn't.....

NYCApple writes:

Adams...yawn.

Volfrombama writes:

Let he without sin cast the first stone....

fearthehound writes:

'If a four-star running back were involved in a jail break, at least one SEC school would have a representative on hand to clock his escape with a stop watch.'

Now that's funny.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Volfrombama:

Let he without sin cast the first stone....

your implication? Know the text well and have been guilty of more than I like to admit...very thankful for grace and forgiveness.

BigVolinCarolina writes:

Adams is probably right--Dyer's 3rd chance probably shouldn't occur at Tennessee. I hope he lands somewhere and makes the most of his opportunity, though.

Along those same lines, how many chances does Adams get at being the Sports Editor?

CoverOrange writes:

Why was having a gun in the trunk necessarily wrong?

tvol71 writes:

Concur, seen nothing to indicate he will not do something like that again.

tdvol1989 writes:

Well, this topic I know about. I know Michael. I watched him play for 3 yrs in high school where my kids go. I presented him an award at a banquet. I warned him and his guardian uncle about staying clean on Saturdays, then getting paid on Sundays. He failed. And it's the same story for many who come from nothing. They are ill prepared to handle fame and success. But in Michael's case, it is important to note his issue is going along with the crowd. Anytime, he got in trouble, he was being influenced by others.

My point is if you met him, you would think he was a good guy. And if Butch wants to consider him and met him, I think he would be inclined to give him a chance. Dyer is not an instigator. He gets advice and influence from all directions.

And I can personally vouch for the experience he is getting from Arkansas Baptist. I have personally heard Dr. Fitz Hill speak and he has resurrected that school. He literally recruits students personally out in the community about changing their lives. Michael has been surrounded by people trying to help him.

So, I say this situation is unique. I would rather burn a scholly on a 5* talent than another 3* 4.65 40 guy. All Butch has to do is get Lott and Jay on him and assign Michael a mentor. Butch seems like a family coach. That is a good situation for Dyer. I disagree with John here. Each situation is unique. If it were me, I would sign him without hesitation.

FEARinSEC writes:

Hack Adams.... At it again...

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Dyer may not be what we want or need. I don't know.

I will say this though. Adams did his best to put the guy in jail with his article. Sarcasm and piling it on is an Adams trademark.

Dyer may be cause to forget about even considering him. Same for Adams............the 'piling it on hack journalist.'

Supersayin1 writes:

Ummm! Not one of the RB's on our Roster, or that has been sighned or that we are targeting can hold a candle to Dyer!!

He would start asap and create the big plays and game changing plays that we have been missing since 2010 Tauren Pool!

No 175lb RB or 3* RB will make an impact in the SEC this day and age! We need Dyer ASAP!!

Get him a mentor and keep him on the right track! And no we are not good at RB! Anyway GO VOLS!!

golfman1975 writes:

What are John Adams initials? Just asking, is it a coincidence?

BigDave64 writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

This will never happen. CBJ would only be undermining himself and his "character" talk. Bad for recruiting, bad for the team, bad for TN football in general. I believe in giving people a second chance, but he's already had his second chance. TN is not in a position to take the risk and give him a third...

Ironcity writes:

Players with questionable character have worked out pretty well for the Tide and have worked all right for Auburn and UGA as well. I will leave this decision to the coach and the administration. If after speaking with Dyer they believe in him, then I'm sold. Both UT and Dyer need each other so this has a chance to work out.

Lvillebill writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

Utterly ridiculous. Let somewhere else be his third strike.

jt45 writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

Thanks for sharing that.

orange_eVOLution writes:

Ole Miss will take him. They never turn down a running back and somehow keep talking them into coming there... even though they have about fifteen.

rb4346 writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

Since he is a follower what happens when he happens to meet someone who wants to rob a convenience store, etc. Tennessee needs to stay far away from him. CBJ will not go near him.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

After that article I hope UT gives Dyer a chance. If they can get at least a year out of him the 2014 class will yield an even better RB. I'm not supporting thug ball, it's more like opposing Adam's and his slanted opinion. No one ever made a mistake and turned their life around, according to Adam's anyway.

mikclark47 writes:

What about that drunk Colquit punter that hit parked cars? He got several chances.....

BigVolFaninSC writes:

How's that old sayin' go?..."Fool me once..."

No! We need to stay away from him. I hope Dyer is indeed a "productive, model citizen" from here on out. Jones has laid the character foundation SPEECH; now it's time to build the character foundation ACTION...Stated more simply: Jones has talked the talk; now walk the walk!

UTVOL2001 writes:

if CBJ signs him, I will be happy...it sounds like CBJ would be the man that could get the best out of this kid!

volfaninutah writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Why was having a gun in the trunk necessarily wrong?

Because his gun was gun was used in the robbery. It probably wasn't registered and therefore a felony. Once you have one, the next gun charge is automatic.

Caspian writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Why was having a gun in the trunk necessarily wrong?

Exactly. What law was broken here?

The article states his first strike was when his handgun was used by teammates in a robbery. Other than not securing his weapon, how is that Dyer's problem? His second strike was driving 96 mph? (Why not 100?) I don't think I'd want a football player who had never broken the speed limit. And then they found another gun in his trunk. Oh my. Which law was that again? Back before we all became a nation of limp-wristed, politically correct wimps, we wore our firearm on our hip instead of hiding it in our "trunk".

Talk to him. Evaluate his character for yourself. Use common sense. Then sign him.

tuvol4u (Inactive) writes:

I dont think this will happen. Why would a brand new coach who has yet to take a UT team on the field want to get this guy. It sends the wrong message. Plus how would Rajon Neal respond to this. He IS our back and it would probably create some rifts.

I would rather take back 2 weed lovin game changing players like Janzen Jackson and Da Rick Rodgers over a gun toting elite back like Dyer. The pot smokers were just dumb, but someone having their name attached to a police report with a gun on it twice is beyond questionable. Its a liability for Jones, plain and simple.

Plus, he already won an SEC championship much less a BCS title with Auburn. He's seen the top. Why would he want to risk getting himself hurt staring down a UT schedule as tough as ours?

His best bet is to take his chances in future drafts and our best chances are to keep scouting for the next Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry, Jay Graham, etc.

Supersayin1 writes:

in response to tuvol4u:

1st Paragraph , Because jones need a game changer every down SEC RB, and who cares what Neal would think, because he isn't a game changing big play consistant SEC RB that people fear. He's average at best! He'd be great in the Big East!

2nd Paragraph, I can bet most college players have hand guns legal and illegal, maybe not hand guns alone, but firearms at the most, like rifles, but a gun is a gun.

3rd Paragraph, true he could go into the draft, but this kid has chosen to stay in school, and that alone says alot about his character,and what he's trying to accomplish in life. I think he can be reformed under the right head coach, that actually cares like Butch jones!

Also if we were scouting for the next Jamal Lewis, Travis Henry,and Jay Graham, we would be going after Dyer since he would be the closet thing we would have had to them since Montario Hardesty.

And going after 3* and 175lb Big East type RB's deffinatly aren't Jamal Lewis types!

Not trying to down what we have and have recruited, but i'm just being honest and a realist! How many runs of 40+ yards did our RB's break for TD's since Tauren Pool? Thats why we need Dyer,and he needs the right head coach!

Have a great night and GO VOLS!

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to Lvillebill:

Utterly ridiculous. Let somewhere else be his third strike.

Okay, so in the time you have spent with Michael, what was your opinion of him?

Oh wait, you don't know him or his situation. That makes your comment worthless.

tdvol1989 writes:

in response to rb4346:

That is a cop out answer. Auburn has a rogue program. Did you hear about the fights on a recruiting weekend there? Is there any doubt Cam or his dad got paid? They don't care about players there. Most schools are that way. But Butch at least appears to be more interested in his players. All you have to do is give him some extra supervision.

Like I said, I know him and I know people that have tried to set him back on the right path. So you have your opinion, and I have mine.

Snapshot writes:

in response to Caspian:

Exactly. What law was broken here?

Agreed. What if he has turned his life around and goes somewhere and has a monster season? How many people on here would be on CBJ for not signing him?

claiborneh writes:

Adam's point is that Tennessee cannot afford to be a "third chance" candidate. So, which school can afford it? One with a coach who does not preach "character?" Where is this ideal school? If third chances are an intolerable sin, then when, where, and under what circumstances is the situation unique and an exception warranted? Adams did not delve there. Without these details, Adams judgement is awfully black and white? Maybe the judgement call should be more, say, orange and white.

CroKev writes:

Tuberville would probably take him at Cinci...

CroKev writes:

Petrino would take him in a second at Western Kentucky. He knows all about 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc. chances. Who knows, Dyer might even light up the sky against UT next season...

vut5686#1405392 writes:

Interesting and valid points on both sides. It is rather disturbing that we let the likes of John Adams set the agenda for our program. The "character" issue should affect behavior on our campus and not necessarily every moment of a teenager's life, up to this point. If we expect to win in the SEC, we must cast a wide enough net to capture some talent; as with fishing, there is the risk of some throwbacks. Fans on this site always compare out coaching and talent with Alabama; review the story about the hoods recently having a little too much fun. We cannot have it both ways: recruit only choir boys or win some games. Having "character" on a team means weeding out the bad ones, not avoiding a chance to change the life of a potential good one. A good coaching staff can strike that balance; Adams is an unrealistic choice to write the rules on this issue. He commits literary felony most every day.

SummittsCourt writes:

OK, JA, I see your point, but if the running game struggles and he lights it up somewhere else and stays clean YOU LOSE THE RIGHT TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE UT RUNNING GAME!!!!!

I agree, UT doesn't need him; the running game isn't dire at UT. Again, I just want to point out that if the running game struggles this year. YOU DON'T GET TO RIGHT ANY NEGATIVE ARTICLES ABOUT HOW BAD THEY ARE STRUGGLING - you know as you usually do.

SouthPaVol writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

Dyer may not be what we want or need. I don't know.

couldn't agree more. Dyer may or may not be right for our football program. Dyer is young and impressionable, and could possibly be coached and mentored into a right-standing citizen.

Adams on the other hand, is full grown and a menace to our community. He is without a doubt a hack and disgrace to Knoxville. I don't want to rehab John; wish he would leave our fair city and never return.

Go Vols!

DarthVol writes:

As i read the article i was reminded of another article i had read of yours several months ago. It expresses a very different opinion on character issues and the cost vs risk aspect to the university. To get to the heart of it quickly ill simply quote part of what you wrote.
"I dont mean to dismiss intgrity as a virtue. I juat want to put the situation in perspective. UT football is in danger of falling off the national map. Its on the verge of four losing seasons in five years. It cant afford to make the wrong hire. Based on what Petrino accomplished atArkansas, UT would ne foolish not to consider him." (Nov. 11, 2012)

Never fear...i get it. Its about speeding motorcycles with blondes and not speeding cars with guns. Its about a propensity to lie vs a propensity for violence. But its the lower standard for the long term face of the university vs the.short term play of an athlete that bothers me. On this current issue i agree with you. On the petrino article i disagree. That makes me at least consistent. You, on the other hand...

GloryDays writes:

in response to CoverOrange:

Why was having a gun in the trunk necessarily wrong?

Exactly. There is thing called the 2nd Amendment. I know there is a guy the Whte House who want to take all guns away from law abiding citizens but he hasn't done it yet.

On a side note if you take all guns away from citizens, thenthe only people with guns ae the criminals and the government. You are opening up the door to big problems?

honesthoward writes:

While we're recruiting Dyer, can we get Nu'Keesee and D'Rick back on the team? They could make immediate impacts, right?

Too many fans on here interested more in winning football games and less in the integrity of the university. Go Vols.

leedsvol2007 writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

Then question then becomes can he say no when others approach him to get involved in situations he should avoid.

UT is a vibrant campus and Knoxville is a large enough city for plenty of opportunities for falls from grace.

At this point we are trying to rebuild our program and that includes it's image. As good as Dyer is, and he broke Bo Jackson's freshman rushing mark as a Freshman as well as rushing for over 100 yards against Oregon in their National Championship game, he is not likely to make us a championship contender.

We have 2 good players in Rashad Neal and Marlon Lane and with the proper use of them they should make us competitive.

I don't often agree with John Adams but I think he is right on this one at this point we cannot afford to take a chance on an individual that has not to date been able to make the right decision on behavior when pressed to do wrong by friends.

He needs to find a smaller college with support and get himself in order. If he does the NFL will find him.

We need to find an outstanding back that we do not have to worry about to augment the talent we have in Neal and Lane.

GoVols!

rbwtn writes:

One mistake OK but many, No he's showing a pattern and that's something nobody wants to get involved with including the pros. Its done.

rbwtn writes:

personally this is where the Media could help Put the word out that UT is looking for a STARTING running back. See what happens. We may be surprised!

fearthehound writes:

in response to mikclark47:

True...and now he kicks for Denver.

MONGOloveSHERIFFbart writes:

in response to leedsvol2007:

GoVols!

Who's RASHAD Neal. Never heard of him.

HooRay_Vol writes:

in response to Ironcity:

The Tide just booted four players. I don't think even they would give him another chance.

Let him watch the SEC games from inside Harvey Updyke, Jr's trailer.

oldvol59 writes:

in response to SouthPaVol:

Go Vols!

AMEN!! I don't expect Sports Writers to be cheerleaders or to sugar coat issues. But this is going way too far. It's story telling, not reporting. The kid would be better off going to a mid-major in a small city anyway.

Hound_Dog69 writes:

in response to volfaninutah:

You must live up north in an anti gun state,here in the south we don't have to register our firearms. The article states somebody else used his gun in a robbery, it doesn't say he was involved in the crime. If you let somebody borrow your car when their sober and they go to a bar and get drunk without your knowledge and get aressted for DUI would you consider yourself a criminal because they used your car?

SCVFL writes:

Why not a very, very, very short leash? Sounds like he has not been in trouble at the JC level.
Maybe the Bible and the proper adult influences have changed him.
CBJ says he wants to be part of the family with his kids. Give him a chance.

GO CBJ and Staff
GO Big RNG...VFL

shane6#638715 writes:

in response to volfaninutah:

Alabama doesn't require you to register your guns. They do require a permit to conceal carry. However, this gun was in his trunk. I know lots of Police Officers and I feel confident saying that none would charge a person for carrying a gun in their trunk, unless they were an Alabama fan who happened to pull over an Auburn star.

whatthe84 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

This would be a big mistake for the new ooach. Bring in a proven bad character to take a shot at helping you win. What does that say about you and your plan, I say it speaks volumes. Why is Adams writing this story, thats easy the chatter on the net is pretty heavy about Dyer and where he might go and of course UT has been mentioned. Adams and a slanted opinion...its seems pretty obvious taking a guy like this would be a mistake to anyone how is that slanted? The way to build a program is to bring in good players who are quality and coach them up. Bringing in proven bad character guys sends a message to the recruits and their parents and would not help you as you are sitting in their livingrooms. You say you are not supporting thug ball but you then say bring on a proven dope smoking gun (twice) carrying thug to be inserted into a new program. Wow!