Butch Jones gave raspy address to Big Orange TipOff Club

Tennessee football head coach Butch Jones addresses the media regarding new recruits in the Stokely Family Media Center at Neyland Stadium Wednesday, Feb. 6, 2013. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer

Tennessee coach Butch Jones finished up a workout with his team on campus Wednesday morning and drove to a speaking engagement trying to regain his voice.

Even a pre-speech sweet tea couldn’t eliminate the hoarseness.

“The players saw a little bit of Butch Jones this morning,” Jones told the crowd at the Knoxville Tip-Off Club at Calhoun’s restaurant.

“They’re going to have my mentality...But this team has been really receptive. It’s more like, ‘Just teach us, coach. We want to win.’”

But while fans have seen the affable and friendly side of Jones during his first three months on the job, players have started to learn

that he also means business.

When they arrive for workouts Friday morning, players will be wearing one of three jerseys.

“They’ll be graded in three areas,” Jones said. “If they play at a championship level, they’ll wear orange. If they’re average, they’ll

be white. If they’re awful or not up to our standard, they’ll be in blue.”

What does Jones expect to see?

“We have a lot of guys in white and a lot in blue, but we’ll get that corrected,” Jones said.

After giving his standard stump speech, Jones took questions from the crowd for several minutes. Among the notable responses:

* Defensive backs coach Willie Martinez will be given the title of assistant head coach for defense. Defensive line coach Steve Stripling

has already been designated assistant head coach. John Jancek is the defensive coordinator.

* Jones said that offensive coordinator Mike Bajakian had been approached by two SEC schools this offseason, and receivers coach Zach Azzanni,

who came to UT from Wisconsin, had “turned down three SEC jobs this year.”

* New NCAA rules that increase the amount of contact allowed during the recruiting process will put new burdens on prospects, Jones said

in surprisingly forceful comments.

“As coaches, as peers, we’re trying to get (the rules) stopped,” Jones said. “I can’t believe he didn’t have a say.”

Just because certain restrictions are difficult to enforce doesn’t mean the NCAA should end the limitations, he said.

"We have a speed limit for a reason. Law enforcement agencies don't say, ‘Well, we can’t enforce the speed limit, so we’re going to do away with it,’” Jones said.

Jones also referenced a conversation with former Ohio State coach Jim Tressel.

“Jim Tressel called me last year and he said, 'Butch, we have to protect the integrity of our game. It’s not pro football,’” Jones said.

“We have to make sure it doesn't turn into the entertainment business."

* Jones also predicted that rules concerning player safety would have a dramatic impact on the game, including the elimination of the kickoff, perhaps within five years.

Jones was well-received by the audience of basketball fans, and he praised the success of UT’s men’s and women’s basketball teams.

"I want to be here the rest of my career,” Jones said. “Maybe one day they'll have a street named after me."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Ayres_Hall writes:

Oh man, he already knows how to feed the beast.

Down_The_Field writes:

blue jerseys? how ugly.

formervol1950s writes:

in response to Down_The_Field:

blue jerseys? how ugly.

That's the whole idea ! Who would want to wear a blue jersey to practice for all to see ?

Geofffourmyle writes:

"...But this team has been really receptive. It’s more like, ‘Just teach us, coach. We want to win.’”

I think they will.

FIGHT WITH ALL YOUR MIGHT FOR THE ORANGE AND WHITE!!!

Walt

UT '81

RickyVols writes:

Win a National Championship and we'll all be happy to drive down Butch Jones Ave on the way to Neyland.

PennVol writes:

It's only weird if it doesn't work.

usafvol writes:

Only time will tell if we made the right hire or not but from all that I've read and heard about Coach Jones, I haven't been disappointed yet. He did a great job recruiting with very little time and looks like he's gonna have some big time players lined up for next year..

THEKIDWISCONSIN writes:

Coach Jones is so anti-Dooley...LOVE IT!

CrankE writes:

Gotta say, I loved Willie Martinez. . . when he was DC UGA. UT walked some dawg in those years.

orange_eVOLution writes:

in response to THEKIDWISCONSIN:

Coach Jones is so anti-Dooley...LOVE IT!

I think you meant he is so NON-Dooley. And I love it, too!

CrankE writes:

Jim Tressel said, "Butch, we have to protect the integrity of our game. It’s not pro football,"

Jim, your tatoos are showing . . .

congaman70 writes:

I wonder if blue was selected on purpose to denote "you're playing like you belong at Ky.".

The_Ghost_of_Neyland writes:

Kind of ironic that Tressell is trying to protect integrity...

thevoice writes:

in response to THEKIDWISCONSIN:

Coach Jones is so anti-Dooley...LOVE IT!

That!

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to RickyVols:

Street my arse, win a NC and we'll name a whole block after him... "Butch(er) Blo..

HopeisNotaCourseofAction writes:

in response to The_Ghost_of_Neyland:

Kind of ironic that Tressell is trying to protect integrity...

I read it was a conference call with Tressel, Petrino, Kiffin and Mike Price all advising on integrity of the game and personal ethics.

volfan2002 writes:

I wonder if they will be wearing those jerseys at spring practice. To be decked out in blue would really be humiliating for a player. I think I would work extra hard to avoid that.

FanNotSheep writes:

Tressel protecting the integrity of college football is like Nixon protecting the integrity of the presidency and Clinton the integrity of … integrity.

Dooley wanted to retire here too. So did Fulmer, Majors and Battle. The only ones who didn't were Dickey and Kiffin. Wish Dickey had; wish Kiffin never came here. Southern Cal is probably wishing that too about right now.

PHAT_VOL writes:

I find it interesting that not one player has left the team for any reason. Its the first time that a coaching change has occured anywhere that I can't remember at least two or three players leaving for some reason. This speaks volumes!

GO VOLS!!

6972 writes:

in response to congaman70:

Great insight! You wouldn't have a lucky number for the lottery would you?

UTvols33 writes:

I really didn't know much about his assistants, but if other SEC schools are after them they can't be bad. Also, if they are turning down jobs then it seems like they want to accomplish something here. GO VOLS! BEAT FLORIDA!

VolCard writes:

in response to UTvols33:

I think he meant that each of these guys had turned down other SEC offers before the left their prior jobs to join him with the Vols.

Thumper72 writes:

The talk sounds good but talk is cheap. The proof will be in the pudding in the fall

pingkr62 writes:

in response to PHAT_VOL:

GO VOLS!!

Not trying to go negative, but wait until spring practice starts. There will be some players leave because they can't stand the heat. C.B.J. will be lighting fires under some rear ends. If you can't stand the heat, get off the field. G.B.O.+ G.B.J.!!!

richvol writes:

Love the jersey idea...peer pressure is the best.

hueypilot writes:

in response to CrankE:

Jim, your tatoos are showing . . .

If I were Butch I might avoid the Jim Tressel references.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

CBJ will get the duck from the butter..GBO!!

RashaadSalabeb writes:

What ever it takes! I like what I am hearing too. I think he'll get the most out of the players. I dont really know much about his play calling and how they adapt in game situations. I'm also still surprised they haven't signed anymore players from this years prospects. Regardless, they have my full support!

Go Vols!

Ironcity writes:

in response to PHAT_VOL:

GO VOLS!!

It really does tell you something when not one even minor contributor has not left. It tells you the players were ready to be done with Dooley. What a terrible hire he was. I like what Jones is doing and I hope he can recruit well enough to compete.

Vol43 writes:

in response to PHAT_VOL:

GO VOLS!!

Good point

Scoon writes:

big deal

Vol43 writes:

in response to Scoon:

big deal

I agree, I think it's a big deal, too.

tnsportsman writes:

I'm all for Players EARNING an Orange Jersey! Give Your All For Tennessee OR wear white or blue! CBJ will be tough and hard in practice, It's About Time!

GO VOLS, ALWAYS!

Scoon writes:

It's almost as big of a deal as what it is for Calhouns Down on the River to water down their 'apple pie shine' from the Gatlinburg Distillery, with a bunch of apple cider juice.

Vol43 writes:

in response to Scoon:

Man's gotta make a profit. Wuz you wearing blue?

Scoon writes:

guess I wuz

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Scoon:

88 to 58..Bwahahahahaha!!

fratricide08 writes:

I like that he's open about having high aspirations. He doesn't just want to win - he wants to be a legend. I want him to do that too. Hopefully it will work out that way.

Scoon writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

88 to 58..Bwahahahahaha!!

Well, now that made me laugh...So, how's that big snoot of your's adoing there, ColdNose??

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Scoon:

Cold as ever, and you?? Keep warm up in tucky, it's looking like some nasty weather is heading your way..

Scoon writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Glad to hear about your nose there as I've been astaying warm in all my cat fur, here....and, yeah, you're right, ColdNose, we are about to get some nasty weather come Saturday as Missouri's blowing in.

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to Scoon:

big deal

where you been? oh yeah 88-58 eplains it bwahahahaha

SouthPaVol writes:

in response to PHAT_VOL:

GO VOLS!!

I like the fact that none have left yet, but there is no way all five QBs are staying in Knoxville. I really love all five--yes all five QBs. All five could start either this year or next at another school. We will loose at least one, or maybe two, QBs after the spring.

The least likely starter, walk-on Charlie High, is an outstanding player with tons of heart. His major inefficiency is height, but High is only 2 inches shorter than a couple of scholarship QB. He threw for more yards in high school and had a higher completion rate at 72%. Not saying High will start or earn PT at UT, but he's a quality athlete and I'm proud he chose to walk on at UT.

Competition for QB this year will be as stiff as 2004, when we had two quality freshman QBs come in. May the best man win. Go Vols!

in response to HopeisNotaCourseofAction:

"Butch(er) Block"! I love it! Carve 'em up, Butch!

CrankE writes:

in response to hueypilot:

If I were Butch I might avoid the Jim Tressel references.

Word.

Tressel talking about protecting the integrity of the game would be like Rick James telling kids to "Just Say No" to cocaine. (Cocaiiine iz a hellva druuug)