Former Vol Tobias Harris traded to Orlando Magic

Sacramento Kings' Tyreke Evans (13) drives against Milwaukee Bucks' Tobias Harris, right, during the first half of an NBA basketball game on Wednesday, Dec. 12, 2012, in Milwaukee. (AP Photo/Jeffrey Phelps)

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — The Orlando Magic were in the process of finalizing two separate trades Thursday just before the NBA trade deadline expired at 3 p.m.

The first deal will send shooting guard J.J. Redick, point guard Ish Smith and power forward/center Gustavo Ayón to the Milwaukee Bucks for wing Tobias Harris, guard Doron Lamb and point guard Beno Udrih.

The second deal will send power forward Josh McRoberts to the Charlotte Bobcats for power forward Hakim Warrick.

Continue reading at the Orlando Sentinel

VOLDoll writes:

I really feel sorry for Tobias. He, like a lot of our fans bought into Bruce Pearls B.S. If Tobias would have went to a school where the coach would have developed his skills he would have been one hell of a player. To bad he and his family belived in Pearl. What a joke. lol!

jt45 writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

You should feel more sorry for yourself if thats your best attempt to bash Coach Pearl for Tobias,s decision to go pro early.

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

Witch Doctor say thank God we have you on an anonymous sports board still bitter after Pearl is gone two years removed to tell us about "potential". Witch Doctor say Tobias will be fine but its always nice to see how "well" youre doing. haha
Bones never lie.

voloffaith writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

No substance to support your own thoughts on the past. How about I'm happy that Tobias has a good job. If you think he has any ill will toward UT for the so-called bad job then his appearance at the UT-Kantucky game as an ablaze supporter blows your contention out of the water. Just another unhappy person,apparently, trying to bring everybody else to her level voldolldowner....I hope the rest of the day finds you trying to encourage others and seeing that things aren't as bad as they seem if you have the right perspective. Oh btw I couldn't buy into Coach Pearl as I was out of money.....

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

Harris is listed as making 1.4 million for 2013 with three years left on his contract. Sounds like he made a great decision.

underthehill writes:

All the best to a great basketball talent and what appears to be..and even better person..also hope Deron Lamb does well..I always thought he was the best pressure shooter on the Ky team..

LSG410EC83 writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

I had forgot all about you and your hate for poor ole Bruce. It's been a whole year. Was the hair salon business that bad last year. Hate such as yours can only come from an ex.

The_Ghost_of_Neyland writes:

Milwaukee or Orlando? I would take Milwaukee...if I were a husky.

HooRay_Vol writes:

Can you imagine the team we would have had this year with Tobias, Stokes, Maymon, McRae, and Richardson! We would have stomped KY even with Nerlens Noel.......

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

I hope the kid is being smart with his NBA money.

I see him being a coach someday.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

bitter much?

FanNotSheep writes:

Some people are proof that stupid really can't be fixed. Anyway, Harris may have a chance to earn more playing time and develop his game in Orlando. This could be a good move for him. But IMO he was always somewhat overrated, out of high school and going into the NBA. A quality young man, and I will be pulling for him.

rb4346 writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

You should not feel to bad for Tobias, he seems to be doing ok for himself. Maybe if he had not left early he would be a lot better off and you need to quit blaming Pearl, even you have to admit he was one heck of a coach. Maybe it's just that time of the month, you need to take a chill pill.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Except for his and his kids...and their kids...financial future is done. Yes, horrific decision.....LOL!!!

VolzsFan writes:

in response to VOLDoll:

Clearly just sad. I mean the most....by a huge margin...most successful coach in UT history was mishandled by UT and he will very soon be another school's super star and a kid that will never have to work again thanks to the NBA. Yes, the whole mess is just a tragedy.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Umm, bubba, you earn how much per year??

The kid makes more in one year than you'll make in a lifetime.

Yeah, sounds dumb to me.

tulelakevol writes:

Thanks for being a Vol Tobias. Enjoy getting paid, because that is what gets food on the table, diesel in the truck, and girls in the pool out back.

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Ok. I've read and re-read your post's and given them a great deal of thought. Conclusion: You're stupid.

in response to HooRay_Vol:

That is certainly something to think about, but I'm not sure the Vols would have gotten Stokes if Harris had stayed another year, and then where would this year's team have been if Harris had left after that year? Maymon might not have become the player he was last year if Harris had been the focal point. I think Harris would have benefited from another year at UT, but I think that about most young players.

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Pretty much agree. I have looked him up online from time to time and saw several quotes from his coach to the effect that he didn't rebound and defend as well as he should for his size and position. Those are two areas in which he could have been expected to improve under Martin. I think he has enough talent to stay in the league, but he needs to get serious about trying to improve, especially in the areas I mentioned. As it is, he might knock around the league for several years and make a nice living, but earning a reputation comparable to those of, well, the players he was being traded for--not exactly a list of future Hall-of-Famers.

in response to ronburgundy:

It's OK to disagree about these things, and most of us would like to make what Tobias is making this year for our whole lives. That said, based on what he has done in the league so far, there is no guarantee that he will ever get another contract. Orlando is a terrible team and poorly managed, while Milwaukee has a chance to get better. It could be an opportunity for Tobias if he gets more playing time than he got in Milwaukee, but he won't learn much about how to be a WINNING pro in Orlando. He will have to make some real strides in proving himself as a pro player if he is to make the next step in his career.

ball1523 writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

you do realize that rookies cant get those maximum contracts anyway. so no he really didnt cost himself tens of millions of dollars. the second contract is where you make your money in the nba. do your homework before you post.

in response to ball1523:

I think he was making the same point I was, which is that if he had gone into the NBA with a sounder game, he would have done more during his first contract and thus been more likely to get a better one later. It is true that NBA rookies are now on a pay scale to prevent guys who haven't played a minute of pro ball to make more money than guys who have played for years, and to prevent clueless owners from mortgaging the future of their franchises by overpaying guys who might not pan out. However, the only way a guy gets a more lucrative later contract is by figuratively outplaying the value of his first one. Harris hasn't done that. THAT is why he has "cost himself potentially tens of millions of dollars".

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

in response to johnlg00:

@johnlg...
With respects, john, tobias and his dad are both bright men and bright basketball men.

Tobias is not a great NBA talent. Hell, he wasn't a great college talent. Staying more years would have maybe marginally improved his game. I don't see him being a CJ Watson

Harris made a smart move: he took the money that was in front of him, rather than risking being "less" each season. I'm pretty certain he was aware of how many players see their draft stock decline rather than rise.

Tyler Smith sure does come to mind: had he not let Bruce talk him out of going pro, how would it have turned out?

underthehill writes:

in response to emailnodata:

@johnlg...

I think C J Watson played several years in the developmental league before making it in the NBA..many (including me) did not think he was an NBA talent due to his lack of speed..he worked hard and eventually made it..hope Harris does the same..if his career is short..he will have more than enough money to finish his education..It think he and his dad made a wise decision..

in response to emailnodata:

@johnlg...

This kind of situation falls into the category of the "great imponderables". Everybody has to make decisions in life as situations arise. I would have no problem with a 10-year career as an NBA backup player. I don't blame Tobias for making the decision he did. It is up to him to make the most of his opportunity. I don't know that another year at UT would have helped him that much, I was just pointing out what his own pro coach said were current holes in his game and it is perhaps just coincidence that a year under CCM MIGHT have helped him in those areas. For all I know about him, Tobias is a good kid who did well under difficult circumstances at UT and still seems to have good feelings about the school, as shown by his enthusiastic presence at the UK game. I wish him well.