Fourth overtime Golden for Vols, 93-85

Three score at least 20 in longest UT game ever

Texas A&M's Elston Turner (31) moves the ball up the court against Tennessee's Skylar McBee during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game in College Station, Texas, Saturday, Feb. 23, 2013. (AP Photo/Bryan College Station Eagle, Stuart Villanueva)

Photo by Stuart Villanueva

Cuonzo Martin on 4 OT win

Stuart Villanueva/Associated Press

Photo by Stuart Villanueva

Stuart Villanueva/Associated Press Texas A&M’s Fabyon Harris, center, looks to shoot against Tennessee’s Jarnell Stokes during the first half of Saturday’s game in College Station, Texas.

COLLEGE STATION, Texas — Cuonzo Martin normally has something to say.

He normally shares a postgame thought.

He normally gathers his Tennessee men’s basketball team for a parting dispatch.

Saturday wasn’t normal.

Four overtimes. Three halves. Sixty minutes.

Tennessee 93, Texas A&M 85.

“Nothing needed to be said,” Martin explained, recounting the scenes from a Reed Arena postgame locker room that turned into a good ol’ fashion Texas hoedown.

“They were dancing, jumping around, blasting music,” Martin continued. “It was a good time.”

Tennessee point guard Trae Golden made sure of it. Nearly matching Texas A&M guard Elston Turner’s 38-point one-man show, the UT point guard netted 32.

Fifteen came in the four overtimes. Golden, along with fellow guards Josh Richardson, Jordan McRae and Skylar McBee, played every minute of each extra session.

But it was Golden who finally said enough is enough.

“Before the last OT I told him, ‘Let’s go. You gotta go, man. Demand the ball. Get the ball,’ ” said Martin.

Told to go, Golden went off. He ended the day’s novel with two game-changing mid-range jumpers in the final overtime session. The first, coming off his own offensive rebound with 2 minutes, 46 second left, gave Tennessee an 83-80 lead. The next, one possession later, pushed it to a five-point lead.

Following a pin-to-the-backboard blocked shot by Jarnell Stokes — who, by the way, notched his 12th double-double of the year, scoring 20 points to go with 16 rebounds, eight offensive — McBee tied a ribbon on the Vols’ fifth straight win.

His 3-pointer with 1:13 left gave UT an

88-80 lead. It being past dinnertime, fans filled the exits.

“It felt good,” McBee said. “I saw it go in and knew it was over with.”

The Vols (16-10, 8-6 SEC) outscored A&M 14-6 to draw the curtain on the fourth overtime.

“You’ve got to have heart,” Golden said. “We came too far. We came all the way to Texas. We’re not trying to go all the way back to Tennessee with no loss. We’ve got NCAA dreams.”

Turner did all he could to make the trip miserable. Lighting up every defender in sight, he made 11 of his first 14 shots. Thanks to his 12 first-half points, the Aggies (16-11, 6-8) built a 31-28 halftime lead.

But like he challenged Golden, Martin challenged McBee. Richardson proved he couldn’t contain Turner early, forcing the UT coach to switch things up.

McBee slid over in front of Turner for portions of the second half and the first two overtimes. Then Martin reassigned Richardson.

It worked.

Turner missed 14 of his last 19 shots.

“If you shut him down, then you shut them down,” McBee said. “Luckily we got the stops when we needed them.”

The late-game lowlights and highlights were aplenty.

The theatrics began at the end of regulation:

Facing a 62-61 deficit, Stokes took two free throws with 5.9 seconds left. He had to make one. Two would have been nice.

He made one.

McRae buried an easily forgotten 3-pointer to force a 69-69 tie with nine seconds to go in the first overtime.

Golden knotted the second overtime, 75-75, on a jumper with 18 ticks remaining.

Capping Tennessee’s first third overtime since 1979, a late rebound and put-back by Aggies forward Jarod Jahns set the stage for UT’s first fourth overtime ever. With fatigue mounting, only eight points total were scored in the third extra period.

Golden, upon Martin’s charge, took care of the fourth.

“It was Trae’s turn,” McBee said. “Jordie just had 34 (against LSU) the other night (Tuesday). Trae stepped up this time.”

For long swaths of the game, the Vols piled up stale offensive sets. One-on-one individual play and one-, two-pass possessions drew Martin’s scowl.

“(A&M) is a grimy, physical defensive team,” he said afterward. “You can’t do that. You’ll make it a long night.”

No pun intended.

The game unofficially took a hair under three hours. Nine players logged more than 40 minutes with Golden (56), McRae (56) and Stokes (53) all playing over 50. One-hundred and forty-nine shots were fired. Fifty-four fouls were called.

There were 11 lead changes. There were 10 ties.

Yes, a long night, indeed.

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

volspaws writes:

Great heart and effort today

Brewii writes:

Dang it!! Didn't have my DVR setup to record long enough. Missed the last 1:30 mins of the last overtime.

Oh well. GO VOLS!!!

chaos001 writes:

Way to grind it out!

Big props need to be given to the strength and conditioning team for UT. You could tell that TAMU was worn down by that last overtime (btw, how many overtimes occurred today!) and we were still kicking.

GBO!

meemaw writes:

Kudos to our Vols!! What an absolutely wonderful effort by all of our boys. They never gave up and continued playing hard the whole game. A&M looked worn out toward the end and our boys looked like they could gone into the fifth overtime. Good job by our coaching staff and players!! Go Vols and beat Florida!!

volinowensboroky writes:

What a game. I was astounded at how the Vols played in every overtime. I do not think Coach Martin put a sub in until he took Stokes out. I said that if these guys could win this one they just might win out to the tournament. Hope they have some left for Florida. GBO

TNORANGEDOGDAD writes:

Great win when we needed it. If McRae was not a scorer I would've had him on the bench,as he had two costly turnovers consecutively at the end of regulation. McBee played good defense on Turner even though he did score 38. Not many uncontested shots for Turner. Good switch off to Richardson to defend at end of game McBee finally seems to be finding his stroke. Get the boys home and ice them down and be ready to beat those Swamp lizards on Tuesday. Go Big Orange!!

tulelakevol writes:

Bring on the swamp turds.

kyvol98 writes:

in response to chaos001:

Way to grind it out!

GBO!

I told my girlfriend I have seen derogatory posts about Nicodemus Christopher on here, about his hair, his web site photos, etc.... Well, you saw today he is earning his pay from the UTAD. We could have played a couple or 3 more OT's.

bobe4544 writes:

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to Brewii:

Oh well. GO VOLS!!!

C'mon Rookie. You always record with extended time (at least 1 hour)

kyvol98 writes:

Skyler played great D. Turner is just unreal at times. Great talent like his dad.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

UT was playing stiff in the first half and they short-armed a bunch of runners in the lane. Once Golden got on track the offensive possessions became more fluid. This team has intestinal fortitude if nothing else..GBO!!

AlpharettaVol writes:

I believe we are seeing this team grow up right before our very eyes!

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to bobe4544:

Did you watch the same game? They did go inside-constantly-but we have to improve on free throws.

chaos001 writes:

in response to kyvol98:

I also love when they show a shot of the bench and he's just as excited about the game as the players are.

Totally Invested.

redskinvol1 writes:

Big time win by the Vols on the road.A complete team win.Great effort by all the players.Go Vols!!

Basketvol writes:

Great win! This 5-game stretch has included some good ones: road win against Vandy, demolishing Kentucky, lights out shooting by McRae against LSU, and now a 4 OT win on the road. As always, it's great to be a TN Vol! Just some times more than others. Let's extend the streak to 6 and beat the Gators!

VictorKruger writes:

The toughness and character the team showed today was outstanding. They had so many chances to pack it in, but refused to lose. As many others have already said, kudos to Nicodemus for having the team conditioned to play 3 halves of basketball! I'd like to see another article about Nicodemus, except this time without the cheesy "before and after" player photo :>). How about a co-SEC Player of the Week award for McRae and Golden??!! Beat the Gators!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

UT vs Tex a&m best game of the day...who won georgetown? Last I saw Georgetown was up. LSU barely beats S car.?

Great game Vols. Welcome to the SEC Tex A&M.

John_10065 writes:

I have no nails left.

Tough gut check win on the road after a horrid 1st half. That game played in the first 1/4 of the season would have been a loss. These guys have learned to fight through the rough spots and earn a win.

Snapshot writes:

I thought it was a bad move to have McBee on Turner during the OT's. Turner is bigger, faster and a great shooter, a tough matchup for him. It worked out this time, but I had some doubts when he kept knocking down shots.

Whew! And then THAT happened! What a gutsy performance. The Vols' superior conditioning showed in a big way. Turner is truly an exceptional talent. He looked unguardable at times. Can't say enough about Golden, though he made a few boo-boos that made me tear my hair out, and I don't have much to spare. Wasn't sure McRae was going to do anything today the way he started out, but he got some MAJOR hoops before it was over. SO happy for McBee to nail that big 3-pointer in the 4th(!) OT. He was scrapping and clawing all day. And what can you say about Jarnell! He was a MAN out there today.

Now it's time to think about the Swamp Lizards. They are getting pushed by the Red Pigs right now, but are almost bound to be fresher for Tuesday's game. Might be time for Kenny Hall to step up. He should be rested after loafing all day today. Need to have somebody else step up, too. Richardson might be one. A bucket or two from Moore and Chievous might help. Wonder what's up with Reese these days. Haven't seen him on the floor in some time now.

The Vols passed a stern test today, but an even tougher one awaits on Tuesday. Get some good rest tomorrow, get in a light workout heavy on the game planning on Monday, and come out to smoke the Gators Tuesday. The improbable march to the NCAA continues for at least three more days. What a journey it has been already!

10SE writes:

If we can just beat the Gators!

in response to Snapshot:

I agree that Turner made that matchup look like a MISmatch a good part of the game, but Skylar stayed after him and made him work REALLY hard for those points. He wasn't quite the same in the late going; maybe Skylar wore him down some. Richardson made a great play on him on one late possession. He had gotten in a little early foul trouble, so maybe CCM was afraid to let him play Turner as much as he might have planned to going in.

justafan4ut writes:

Great Win, Big Orange! Wife wanted to go out to eat. I said after the game. Game goes into overtime, she's a bi039ch'n, I'm hungry, resturant not far, so I say let's go. Go to mexican establishment, figure soccer would be on, but no, its the TN/TAM game on, I say, Cool. One of the best games in recent history, I'm giving her play by play, she can't see, but I can, to bad for her. Like it, love it, won't some more of it. I have a buzz and didn't drive.
Go Big Orange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

in response to bobe4544:

Has anybody told you in the last 15 seconds what a D-bag you are? If not, you must have been hiding in the basement all day. Happy to help you fulfill your daily quota. Sheesh. Some people.

in response to justafan4ut:

Go Big Orange!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to almost take one for the team, buddy! Glad you got to see the end of it and placate the wife at the same time. Well played, sir!

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to bobe4544:

That didn't last long.
Feel better now?

bigdisbig writes:

What a great game! A month ago I didn't give the Vols a snowball's chance in hail of winning more than 3 games in the SEC. After getting stomped by Memphis (score didn't indicate how bad it was) and beat by Ga. at home I figured Cuonzo's days were numbered. Man, was I wrong and glad of it. Cuonzo has these guys playing with heart and guts. Way to go Vols, now take it to the Gators!

justafan4ut writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Thanks and GO BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88 writes:

Now for the good news that y'all have been wanting to hear...

Florida- 54
ArkySauce- 37

jt45 writes:

in response to Snapshot:

I also felt like McBee was a bad matchup on turner, he was just too quick for McBee IMO. Turner has a nearly impossible shot to guard no matter who is on him. I thought Richardson did a great job late to slow him down on offense, they were running screens constantly and I think they just ran themselves out of gas in the end. McBee deserves alot of respect for his great effort in this game though.

golfman1975 writes:

Wow.....

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88:

Now for the good news that y'all have been wanting to hear...

Florida- 54
ArkySauce- 37

The fact that they're playing later than UT may even up things a bit..UF needs to win easily and take UT for granted..That's the scenario I'm hoping for..GBO!!

in response to bigdisbig:

That's pretty, uh, BIG of you to say. No doubt there was plenty of cause for alarm the way they played earlier, and it will likely cause them to fall short of the Big Dance yet, unless they continue to shock us by winning the SEC tourney. Still, we can't say they aren't giving us our money's worth right now.

Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I was actually hoping aTm could pull off the win today against your Vols. I feel a lot better when our opponents lose the game before they face Florida. I might be there!

Good luck

golfman1975 writes:

in response to Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88:

Now for the good news that y'all have been wanting to hear...

Florida- 54
ArkySauce- 37

Bad news for you...you have a date in Ktown Tues. Welcome wagon waiting.

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

That might be the Vols' best hope, BB. For sure the Vols will have to suck it up to be competitive Tuesday after this marathon. Hope they've still got a few more supreme efforts in them. Still got a long way to go to reach the promised land!

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

First off, I guess I'm actually glad the LSU - Bama game went the 3 OT's because that's when the Vols weren't doing so well. BTW, the curse of the 2nd game of a double header on the same network did it's thing again. They didn't join our game in progress until 3:44 left in the first half.

That was as gutsy a game as you'll see. U T has had the hot hand in the SEC for a while now, and are riding a wave of confidence. We may not see quite the same performance against the lizards as we did with the one and dones, but it might be very similar.

Hard to fuss at Stokes for not icing the game with free throws but he did other things well.
McRae? Making a dagger of a 3 pointer to afford us one of those OT's.......yet making some costly turnovers. When they put the ball on the floor in the paint, that's a recipe for disaster, usually. Hats off to the refs for reversing some calls on out of bounds plays.........but some of those charges were curious calls.

All in all, an awesome and gritty performance. You have to wonder how far Stokes, McRae, and Golden can carry us. McBee is stepping up in the clutch, so count him as the 4th guy. We need scoring off the bench and steady play handling and passing the ball. A + effort guys !

Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88 writes:

in response to golfman1975:

Bad news for you...you have a date in Ktown Tues. Welcome wagon waiting.

I like UT's chances at home. It's just a shame we can't demolish UT in Gainesville this year like we've done to everyone else.

NoChildLeftaDime writes:

Wow! What a game. I see what you guys are doing. Wait until the very last minute repeatedly. Leave nothing on the table. You're All In. Got it. The heart attack Vols.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Remember John, these are very young athletes..We could play pick-up bb all day when we were that age..GBO!!

FWBVol writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Great game Vols. Welcome to the SEC Tex A&M.

LSU beat Alabama in triple OT and Georgia beat South Carolina in OT.

The local SEC network station here stayed with Alabama-LSU through all three OTs so I only saw the last three minutes or so of the first half. I guess they more than made up for it in the second half with the four overtimes.

This was a great gut check win for the Vols and it shows the kind of mental toughness Cuonzo Martin has instilled in this team. Tennessee is a reflection of the coach...unflappable and as tough as nails.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88:

Good luck

We'll take it..

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to bobe4544:

Who is this AH??

mlynn1 writes:

Wow, what a game and we won also! Can't say enough about teams grit and toughness. Go Big Orange!

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

UT and FU... It's gonna be WAR in TBA Tuesday!

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Who is this AH??

I dunno, probably just one of KNS's weekend warriors getting lonely in his cubicle.

in response to Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88:

Good luck

That's the wrong psychology. You want your opponents to WIN the game before they play you. A team learns more from a loss than it does from a win, as the old saying goes. A hungry wolf is more dangerous than a full one. Which is better, confidence or desperation? Tough choice. In this case, I guess we can both hope that old saying doesn't apply for our teams THIS time! Looking forward to a great game if our guys have enough left in the tank.

vol98champ writes:

When we were up 41-37 and began the turnover derby I figured it was over, but this team appears to have grown up right before our eyes. Had to watch on ESPN3 and it was hard to see why so many TO's in the last 15 minutes of regulation. Looked like at least 2 of Golden's charges were blocks, but over all a well called game.