Isabelle Harrison may play against Arkansas

(Saul Young/News Sentinel)

Photo by Saul Young, 2012 Knoxville News Sentinel

Tennessee's assistant coach Dean Lockwood helps Isabelle Harrison stand after she hurt her knee during the game against Notre Dame at Thompson-Boling Arena on Monday, January 28, 2013. Tennessee loses to Notre Dame 77-67. (Saul Young/News Sentinel)

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — If Tennessee’s Isabelle Harrison pulls off her warm-up suit today and heads for the scorer’s table, Lady Vols coach Holly Warlick intends to restrain herself.

“I won’t trip her,” she joked.

Seriously, Warlick hopes that Harrison does report for duty against Arkansas (TV: MyVLT, 2 p.m.) after missing the last six games. The 6-foot-3 sophomore center underwent surgery on Feb. 1 to address the lateral meniscus in her left knee. She hasn’t played since going down in the first half against Notre Dame on Jan. 28.

“We’ll see how she does after this practice,” Warlick said after the team’s workout Saturday at Bud Walton Arena. “I’m kind of hopeful she’ll be able to play.”

Harrison, returned to practice on Tuesday. She is averaging 10 points and 8.3 rebounds per game, starting 17 of the 19 games in which she’s played. She leads the team in blocks (40).

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

SummittsCourt writes:

I'm happy she is getting better, but I hope they don't rush her back too soon. With that said, she will be needed against Kentucky and Texas A&M.

jt45 writes:

Wow that would be an amazing recovery, I sincerely hope she is fully healed before she plays again. The LVs will really need her against T A&M and UK but her health is more important.
Great news though.

Volinflan writes:

I don't even care if she plays. I love her on the sideline. Her smile brightens up the whole court. Really glad she's back to this level. Like SummittsCourt, says, just don't push her to the point of causing more damage to that knee. But I hope she gets a chance to swat a couple of Watkins attempts into the stands.

SoddyVol writes:

Ark lost big to Ga. at Ga. I'm sure playing at home they will have much more "want to win" against The Vols. A healthy Harrison would make things much easier for the Vols but as long as they continue to play defense like the last game, they will do fine. I expect Graves to have a much better game Sunday. She and Burdick should produce some good points inside.

Theo writes:

in response to Volinflan:

xvolx writes:

She's either healthy or not. If she is, play her. If not don't. It's not rocket science.

tonyvick#213307 writes:

What if...

Izzy I am glad you are on our side.

ps11824 writes:

WOW! Seems too soon. Sure hope she's ready. She is a gamer. Awesome to think we will have her back for the remaining games.

I am pleasantly surprised at how quickly these athletes can heal from surgery.

I hope Nia and Jasmine are ready to contribute today.

creekroad writes:

in response to xvolx:

No it's not...it is called practicing medicine....

volfan2002 writes:

We need to win today but we don't need to rush an injury hopefully she is 100 percent and we'll see her have a big game today.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

I share everyone's concern about Izzy coming back too soon but I also tend to think that our excellent medical staff knows a lot more than we do about when she will be ready.

cdtnladyvols931#663910 writes:

I hope she does get to play! but I hope she is not rushing it! We really need her in the last two games!!!! Go Lady Vols!!!!!! Good Luck Izzy!!!

62vol writes:

Why so many concerns regarding the capability of the medical staff?

Any justification?

in response to SummittsCourt:

It's not like she had an ACL reconstruction, but, IIRC, it was a mensicus operation that cost Jeronne Maymon this year with the men's team. I truly didn't think Izzy would be back at all this year. Like you, I can only hope it isn't too soon. I just have to trust the staff that they wouldn't rush her back unless they truly thought she was ready. If she is, the LVs' chances of doing something special in the post-season just went WAY up, even if it takes her a couple of weeks to get completely back up to game speed and conditioning.

in response to xvolx:

Sometimes I almost envy simple-minded people. No nuance at all in their world. Everything is just one way or the other, no in-between. Surely would simplify everybody's choices if everything really WAS that way.

ps11824 writes:

Let me just go ahead and scream right here, 1st half score we 17, they 19, we 10 turnovers: STOP turning the ball over. STOP hurrying, settle down, for goodness sake... OK, I feel better now.

ps11824 writes:

they are absolutely beating themselves... maybe with a little help from stripes. Missing FTs not helping either. Simmons is off her feed.

60 - 54 win was nerve racking. But I will take it and breathe a big sigh of relief.