Tennessee outlasts Texas A&M 93-85 in 4 OTs

Texas A&M's Elston Turner (31) moves the ball up the court against Tennessee's Skylar McBee during the first half of an NCAA college basketball game in College Station, Texas, Saturday, Feb. 23, 2013. (AP Photo/Bryan College Station Eagle, Stuart Villanueva)

Photo by AP Photo/Bryan College Station Eagle, Stuart Villanueva

Cuonzo Martin on 4 OT win

Texas A&M's Fabyon Harris, center, looks to shoot against Tennessee's Jarnell Stokes (5) during the first half of NCAA college basketball game in College Station, Texas, Saturday, Feb. 23, 2013. (AP Photo/Bryan College Station Eagle, Stuart Villanueva)

Photo by AP Photo/Bryan College Station Eagle, Stuart Villanueva

COLLEGE STATION, Texas (AP) — Trae Golden scored a career-high 32 points to lead Tennessee to its fifth straight win, a 93-85 victory over Texas A&M on Saturday in a marathon four-overtime game.

The Volunteers were up by one point in the fourth overtime when Golden made four straight points to make it 85-80. Elston Turner missed a shot for A&M before Skylar McBee's 3-pointer pushed Tennessee's lead to 88-80. McBee made a pair of free throws with less than a minute left to pad the lead, and the Volunteers held on for the win.

It was the first four-overtime game for Tennessee (16-10, 8-6 Southeastern Conference), and the most extra periods the Aggies (16-11, 6-8) have played since dropping a 116-110 five-overtime game to Baylor on Jan. 23, 2008.

Turner had 38 points to lead the Aggies.

Jordan McRae added 23 points for Tennessee, and Jarnell Stokes had 20 points, 16 rebounds and four blocks.

Stokes blocked a layup by Jarod Jahns and was fouled on the rebound, but he missed both free throws with 40 seconds left in the third overtime to leave Tennessee up 79-77. Jahns made a layup to tie it with 9 seconds left, and J'Mychal Reese stole the ball from Golden to send it to the fourth overtime.

Turner scored the first four points of the second overtime, before a 3-pointer by Golden. The teams exchanged baskets before a jump shot by Golden tied it at 75. Just as in regulation and the first overtime, Texas A&M had a chance to win it at the buzzer, but the Aggies couldn't make the shot.

In the first overtime, Ray Turner grabbed a steal on a pass by McRae with 25 seconds left and Tennessee immediately fouled Fabyon Harris.

He sank both free throws to make it 68-64 before Golden cut the lead to two points on a layup with 19 seconds left.

Tennessee fouled Reese three seconds later, and he made one of the free throws.

McRae tied it at 69-all on a 3-pointer with 9 seconds left in overtime.

Josh Richardson blocked a layup by Harris with two seconds left. The Aggies got the rebound, but Elston Turner's jump shot bounced off the rim at the buzzer to force the second overtime.

At the end of regulation, McRae missed a 3-pointer for the Volunteers, but Stokes grabbed the rebound and was fouled with 5.9 seconds left. He made the first free throw, but missed the second one to tie it at 62-all.

A 3-pointer by Reese clanged off the rim at the buzzer to send it to overtime.

The Volunteers were up by three when Texas A&M used a 10-2 spurt to take a 50-45 lead with about eight minutes left. Turner led the Aggies in that run with six points and a steal.

It was the sixth overall meeting between these new SEC opponents, and the first since a 108-84 win by the Volunteers on Dec. 2, 2003.

Harris returned after missing Wednesday's game with a sprained ankle to score 13 points, and Reese added 15 for A&M.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

VolGrad writes:

Awesome game, better victory.

Our Vols have won 5 consecutive games, including 3 straight on the road...

Great job, guys! Go Vols!!!

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

GREAT HUSTLE FELLAS !!! Now take resume ownership of the gators.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Trae Golden sure manned up..Way to go VOLS!!

tgiles1944#654264 writes:

What a game!

SummittsCourt writes:

WOW, I mean WOW! What a gut check win on the road in 4 OT's against a good team.

I don't know if the Vols will have the gas to hang with Florida on Tuesday, but I wouldn't put anything past this team now.

jt45 writes:

Golden was golden in overtime, what a game. About as tough a game as ive ever seen from any Vols class.

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

Great job shutting Turner down in the overtimes too.

UT4prez writes:

They seriously need to send this tape to the league office. The officiating was horrible! Unfortunately, most SEC games are like that regardless of who's playing.

Great game Vols! Well, great determination anyway. They actually played poorly. Poor free throws, terribly timed turnovers, Cuonzo slow to make some moves like Richardson on Turner, and no energy most of the first half. But they fought, and fought, and fought. Awesome job. No doubt they lose this game just 4 weeks ago.

UT4prez writes:

McBee deserves a lot of credit.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

I tried to run on my treadmill for the entire game..I only made the first OT before muscle failure set in..Great win and I feel as tired as the team right now..HBTV!!!

baldingalum writes:

Biggest win in Coach Martin's career. A must win, on the road, very solid opponent. I can not commend Coach Martin and his staff enough. Our guys wanted it more.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Get real..These are very well conditioned athletes that can play bb all day if they want..UT will be plenty rested and ready for the gators Tuesday night..

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

BB, didn't require running to get elevated cardio. Just listening from 3 minutes to go and 4 OTs enough workout.

huntined#565710 writes:

Daddy's boy got his points but I will take GOLDEN AND THE WIN!!!!

Rumblefish writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

HA HA BV!!! I do the same freakin thing! Got my treadmill backed up against my checkerboard wall!

What else is there to say???---NICE FREAKIN WIN ON THE ROAD TENNESSEE!!!

jt45 writes:

Florida is a very winnable game the way this bunch never gives up. Salute to McBee for coming up big on offensively and hustling every second he was in the game.
Hollered so much at the TV my pets wont come out of hiding for a week.

TopTenn writes:

What a game. Congrats to the players and coaches for not quitting. Beat the gators.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to UT4prez:

McBee deserves a lot of credit.

Especially for his hustle and scrappy defensive play..McBee is not just a 3 ball shooter, he's a real gamer on the court..

movol77 writes:

Tough win, and it will make this team that much tougher to beat. Excellent heart and mind win.

laraccoon writes:

in response to baldingalum:

i think most would think your wrong , TN vs KY dislike goes way back , but if i went by the looks on the Vols players and coaches faces i would say your right .

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

What else is there to say???---NICE FREAKIN WIN ON THE ROAD TENNESSEE!!!

That's good stuff..Did you make the entire game?? I logged 13 miles and that was it..Done.

golfman1975 writes:

Just....Wow!

Rumblefish writes:

in response to jt45:

Hollered so much at the TV my pets wont come out of hiding for a week.

my treeing walker coonhound thinks she's in trouble too. gave her a few treats to let her know she's all good ;)

LSG410EC83 writes:

What a game. One thing about this team, there is no quit in them. This is a bigger win than most will consider it. Going through all of the scenerios in the conference shows that. Just got to keep playing strong (I know, that is the obvious) McBee was 3 rebounds from a double double. I know many on here thinks he ought to sit and I even at times have had thoughts. However, I feel at times he is this team's Bradshaw. Gotta remember, shooting most of season with a bum elbow. Anyway, great victory. Got to get ready for the lizzzzzzzzards. IT IS GREAT TO BE A TENNESSEE VOL. GO BIG ORANGE.

hallmo11 writes:

Gutty! Gutty! Now, go surprise those Gators!

bosscat writes:

Just another ho-hum come-back on-the-road 4-overtime game. Mama, call the doctor--it's my heart. But--I'm a believer, I couldn't leave them if I tried.

Rumblefish writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Hilarious! I logged 12 mi...you're a better man!

I stopped at the first TO of the first OT. Needed to make me a DRINK!

scottvol writes:

Last Saturday's win over the Cats and today's 4 OT thriller have brought the most excitement in UT sports in several years ! GBO ! It's great to be a Tennessee Vol !

springtx_vol writes:

Rats, almost got tickets to go to the game. Really wished I had! Big win to keep us in the NCAA tourney chase.

GBO

PureOrange writes:

Great win! Great heart! Stokes is a beast. Golden had a great game, and no one has more heart than McBee. Other players stepped up also.

Early on in the season this team was hard to watch; today they were hard to watch for a different reason. I kept thinking they did not deserve to lose with the effort they were giving.

Thankfully, their effort was enough. Hope they can get their legs back by Tuesday. They put it all on the line today.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Vols4Ever:

No doubt, but since I started doing this UT hasn't lost a game..So after my Celtics game Sunday night (which I always run) I'll be back at it Tuesday night for the hated gators..GBO!!

jt45 writes:

in response to scottvol:

Absolutely agree, and now I need to go take my heart meds. Just about couldn't handle this one after the 3rd OT.

BigBadVol writes:

Very gutty win. Very proud to be a VFL right now. CCM is a class act and tough man which is spreading to the team. We will be a NC contender in five years with progress throughout.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

Hilarious! I logged 12 mi...you're a better man!

I stopped at the first TO of the first OT. Needed to make me a DRINK!

Hey, not sure about that, you may have run at a faster pace. I was clocking just over 5 mph at 5.4.

Rumblefish writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Game on BV! I'll be on the 'mill. Honor's rules....no fibbing.

Rumblefish writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I do the "indian run"....jog during the game (6.0 mph, walk during commercials at 3.5 mph)

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Do your best Forrest Gump imitation and run us all the way into the Big Dance.

GBO!!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

You mean like the military Indian run?? I hate that..Yeah, if UT keeps this up we should be in pretty good shape by the end of the season..Too funny,,

Brewii writes:

Great effort from the team today. Can't wait to go to the game on Tuesday night. Hope the home crowd is into it that night to help the boys continue this amazing run.

Rumblefish writes:

For the benefit of both of us...place a wager on the FL game? I'll say 13 miles.

Rumblefish writes:

or should i say..."i'll start with 13 miles"

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I just ran 14 4 minute miles on my treadmill.

Ok not really. I'd be too tired to type...or dead. But my heart was racing at the last 3 overtimes. Does that count?

Rumblefish writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I just ran 14 4 minute miles on my treadmill.

Hell NO it doesn't count! My heart was racing WHILE ON the treadmill! ;)

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Vols4Ever:

Do your best Forrest Gump imitation and run us all the way into the Big Dance.

GBO!!!

I'm rrun-ning..

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

Hell NO it doesn't count! My heart was racing WHILE ON the treadmill! ;)

Really, I love Stokes, but when he missed that FT just before the end of regulation that hurt in more ways than one..

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

Hell NO it doesn't count! My heart was racing WHILE ON the treadmill! ;)

Well! It probably counts as far as my heart rate being up. My Doctor would be happy...or frightened.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Can't blame Stokes for your attempt at a full game on treadmill. But his misses caused a lot of inflated blood pressures.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Agreed, I would have short-armed that FT so bad it probably would have missed the rim by a foot..Way too much pressure after a long timeout..He made up for his FT misses when it counted..

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

The victory today and the one over the Cheating 'Cats represents real team play by a real coach.

Jarnell owned the inside, Golden ran the team and TB played defense. Wasn't perfect but was 5 in a row.

in response to laraccoon:

That is most likely the long-time Vol fan's opinion as well. However, UK just really didn't show up in that game, and shame on them, but A&M really fought all the way, yet the Vols were able to prevail on the Aggies' home court. This was, after all, the same A&M team that whipped the Cats at Rupp when they still had Noel. Choosing between the UK game and this one is like choosing among my children, but on the other hand, it's hard to go wrong!