Incoming QB Joshua Dobbs receives academic award

Jonathan Phillips/Special to the News Sentinel

Photo by Jonathan Phillips

Jonathan Phillips/Special to the News Sentinel Seated between his father, Robert, and mother, Stephanie, Alpharetta High School quarterback Joshua Dobbs signs his letter of intent to play football at Tennessee on Wednesday in Alpharetta, Ga. Dobbs picked the Vols over Arizona State.

Josh Dobbs, the quarterback signee from Alpharetta, Ga. who switched from Arizona State to Tennessee in the final moments before National Signing Day, was given a prestigious academic award Saturday in Los Angeles.

Dobbs, who will enroll at UT this summer, won the Franklin D. Watkins Memorial Award, which recognizes “premiere African-American male scholar athlete.”

Dobbs beat out four other nominees for the top honor.

Dobbs said he plans to major in aerospace engineering, and Tennessee coach Butch Jones said much of Dobbs’ visit to campus was spent discussing UT’s academics.

“He came in and one of the big things on his checklist was the education,” Jones said. “Did it fit his needs? The people in our engineering department did a tremendous job of selling him on what we had and showing him.”

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

usafvol writes:

Great job young man; proud to have you as a Vol!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Congrats.

volfanlostnbama writes:

Congrats & looking forward to seeing that desire fulfilled at UT.

VolCard writes:

Great accomplishment. Congratulations.

MikeTheTiger writes:

I heard this young man interviewed the other day on the Eric Ainge radio show. All I can say is "wow"! He is the most impressive student athlete that I have heard....ever!

Congratulations Mr Dobbs. Wish you were going to LSU!!

bjohns23 writes:

Great Job young man! Keep it up once you get here also. Look at what Tyler Bray did and avoid his missteps. Brains are needed on and off the football field.

gillblog writes:

Wow ! is right.
HOWever, one has to wonder how this outstanding young man can hope to play SEC football and keep up in the classroom majoring in aeronautical engineering. I mean, those folks actually have to attend class and complete assignments of college level material which is more than can be accomplished by the majority of SEC football players these days.

If he is able to make it thru his freshman year without compromising either grades or football then he will most likely be able to make it in both areas. I admire his vision and desire already.

VolsUpsetYetAnother writes:

When you're as smart as he is it will come fairly easy. Not the typical student athlete. Great job! And I can't wait to have a mobile QB again!!! Go Vols!!

FWBVol writes:

in response to gillblog:

Wow ! is right.

I think you underestimate and short change not only young Mr. Dobbs, but several other young men and women that have competed at the highest level at UT and while being among the top students in their major.

Our football program has produced young men that were in prelaw or premed disciplines and went on to law school and medical/dental school.

Bob Johnson was an All-American center in the 1960s and at the same time was one of the top students in his discipline of engineering. Darwin Walker, a starting defensive tackle on the 1998 National Championship team, was a mechanical engineering major.

Yes, there are plenty of football players would go into, what many people might think of as an easier major, but every major has classes that separate the students from those pretending to be students.

I majored in Speech Communications and I had several friends in other "more challenging" majors tell me they would stick with engineering or math.

The young people that were top students in high school usually do well in the classroom at the college level. They've already learned the keys to time management and multi-tasking.

I believe Mr. Dobbs is one of those students.

volnbig11land writes:

Congratulations Mr. Dobbs, and welcome to the Vol family!

REVOL writes:

Young man you are to be greatly commended. Keep up the good work and welcome to the University of Tennessee!

bUTch_please writes:

Tomorrows column from JA, "How the lack of ethnic diversity on Coach Jones' staff will impact Josh Dobbs."

Complete with a companion article by Woodbery listing the IQ's of Coach Jones staff and a comparison showing the lowest combined IQ staff in the SEC.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

This is what the term student-athlete is all about..Great to have this young man representing the University of Tennessee.

john316 writes:

in response to FWBVol:

I believe Mr. Dobbs is one of those students.

Walker graduated Magna C. Laude in Civil Engineering in 2000.

in response to FWBVol:

I believe Mr. Dobbs is one of those students.

Thanks for bringing up those two outstanding role models. I knew Bob Johnson as an undergraduate. The academic support system for student-athletes was not nearly as well-developed as it became later, so he REALLY had to have the drive to succeed to do what he did. After UT, he was the first player ever selected by the new Cincinnati Bengals franchise and played for them for about 10 years. Paul Brown, the team owner, specifically said that he selected Johnson as much for his leadership ability and intelligence as for his playing ability. Then he founded an engineering consulting firm.

I knew Darwin Walker when I tutored athletes at UT. I managed the athletes' study hall in the evenings and Darwin was ALWAYS there. He was the first person in the door when it opened and the last to leave every night. Like Johnson, he not only had a distinguished pro career, he founded an engineering company.

Some may not know it, but UT has a VERY well-regarded department of aerospace engineering. Wouldn't it be something if Joshua could be on the first crew to go to Mars! Imagine planting the Power T on the Red Planet! NASA probably wouldn't allow it, but I surely hope he will have some UT paraphenalia on him if he succeeds here and goes there.

dakota10902 writes:

Well it's a start. Damn it I want Wins, Now!!! My own son, My own flesh and blood is a Gator Fan. He is 10. I am sick of him making fun of me and the Vols. He says "Dad why do you like the Vols, they suck! I try to tell him it will turn around and the Vols will be at the top once more. I just hope I will see it in my lifetime. I am only 30 years old.

VolGrad writes:

in response to gillblog:

Wow ! is right.

You are either ignorant or stupid.

voloffaith writes:

in response to dakota10902:

Sounds lil like a respect issue.........but since you started if off with a cuss wordI know my problem and I should get over it...(haven't become comfortably numb with it and hope I never do)....Anyway remind him lovingly what goes around comes around....like I told a client...it goes out like a chihuahua and comes back like a pit bull.....On topic, congrats for exemplifying what it means to be student/athlete!!

volhome writes:

in response to dakota10902:

Send im own hereto Florida. I can show him some of the nine foot gator in the canals arond here. Really close. Scared straight comes to mind.

gillblog writes:

in response to VolGrad:

You are either ignorant or stupid.

I don't think I said anything disparaging or disrespectful at all. To the contrary, I said specifically I admired his desire and vision. I have nothing but respect for what he has accomplished thus far and only wondered (read; "in awe of") at the dedication it will take to pursue his chosen academic path along while playing at the highest levels of college football. His character is inspiring.

If those statements constitute 'stupidity' or 'ignorance' in your mind, you are sadly missing the message and must have serious problems understanding the intentions of people around you.

pingkr62 writes:

Congratulations Mr. Dobbs. College athletics needs more young me like you. G.B.O.!!!

VolGrad writes:

Most of these student-athletes succeed in the classroom on a regular basis. Like most high profile activities, the failures are much more publicized than the successes. It is sad because it feeds the general public's perception of the "dumb jock."

I don't like to hear anything that suggest it is going to be really tough for this person to play in the SEC and succeed in the classroom. The two have nothing to do with each other. Frankly, college is tough for most of us, student-athletes or not. But where it may be tougher for athletes, many of them have access to additional helps.

Frankly, I think being a student-athlete in the SEC should increase their chances for success... both on and off the field.

VolGrad writes:

Joshua Dobbs is an impressive young man. That says quite a lot about his parents as well. I think we've got a future star in this young man.

Go Vols!!!

VolGrad writes:

in response to gillblog:

I apologize if I interpreted your statements in a way other than how you meant them. Perhaps I was a bit overbearing in my remarks.

pingkr62 writes:

in response to dakota10902:

My son was a gator fan when he was little. I think he did it mostly to antagonize me. Now he is an Ole Miss fan because he plans to attend there to complete his B.A. I plan to take him to a U.T. game as well an Ole Miss game, since we live about sixty miles from the Ole Miss campus. Lord how things change. G.B.O.!!!

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to gillblog:

this aint the only time he has shown how dumb he is, and it want be the last time.

OwensboroVol writes:

Good for you! I told my children like my Dad told me, Get your Degree. No one can ever take it away from you and not a day will go by in your life where that degree doesn't pay off. I can't tell you how proud I am, as a UT Alumnus, to have you as one of our Students.

rb4346 writes:

Very impressive and smart kid. Who knows he might remind us of Condredge Hollaway. Can hope can't we. Really anxious to see this kid in action.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

I wouldn't expect any less! Good job!

Go Big Orange!

utvolfan1955 writes:

in response to dakota10902:

I don't understand how a 10 year old would not pull for the same team as his father

davemanthevolfan writes:

Let's not forget the greatest player in UT history got his BS in 3 years and started his grad work his senior year
I think his name was Peyton something or other.

dakota10902 writes:

in response to utvolfan1955:

He started pulling for florida when he was like 6 because of Tim Tebow.

HtownVol writes:

I am pulling for this young man to win the starting QB job.

Worley has shown nothing to impress. That is not to say he can not be good but we as UT fans want great, not good.

Peterman may be just as good but I am putting (maybe too much) faith in the "stars" and Ferguson and Dobbs are the players that are thought highly of. Then again so was Worley..

Since this season is expoected to be a "rebuilding" season lets break in a freshman and if he is great we have 4 years of him to grow as a leader.

GO VOLS

sitinhere writes:

WTF...now we will have players better and smarter than the ones at Candy..I mean Vandy

in response to HtownVol:

I am pulling for this young man to win the starting QB job.

GO VOLS

I don't think we have yet seen the best of Worley. He has a live arm and decent size. He never got many reps with the first team in practice and was only put in games in emergencies or mopping up with the scrubs. You never know how a kid will blossom when he has the full attention of a competent coaching staff and an honest chance to win a starting job. I realize that there are a whole string of possible qualifiers in that last statement. We'll just have to see if any of his actual experience lives up to that hypothetical scenario.

jmaples54 writes: