Cool customers: Tennessee's hot streak anchored by calm coach

Tennessee head coach Cuonzo Martin reacts to a foul called on the Vols in the first half against Florida at Thompson-Boling Arena Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2013. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer

KNOXVILLE — The University of Tennessee players and coaches can expect to see their team's name on various NCAA tournament bubbles watches and lists for the near future.

To see their name pop up in the 68-team bracket on Selection Sunday in 18 days, the Volunteers know they must keep winning.

During its late-season surge, Tennessee's players have remained grounded, and the feel is the Vols are playing how they should have been all season.

"We've just got to make sure we're ready to play," point guard Trae Golden said after Tuesday's crucial win against eighth-ranked Florida. "I think everybody on this team understands that nothing's promised. We've just got to continue to win and continue to play together as a team."

Continue reading at The Chattanooga Times Free Press.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Cool! Cool Martin. Cool Trae. Cool Stokes. Cool McRae. Cool McBee. Cool Moore. Cool Chievous etc etc, Cool.

I think I just went back to the 60's.

dvhill100 writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I think I just went back to the 60's.

If you remember the 60's, then you didn't do it right. :-)

wilk58 writes:

A a Vol fan that lives in Michigan I hope the guys took notice of the PSU/Michigan game last night. Focus! Go Vols

Volunista writes:

in response to dvhill100:

If you remember the 60's, then you didn't do it right. :-)

I've been told I had a very good time.

Counzo looks as cool as a cold-blooded killer as he leads these Vols over one opponent at a time. BTW - As one Vol fan to another, why would any dumb@$$ gator get on here barking and whining after losing to an unranked team on Tuesday night? We'll last longer than them in the NCAAs. They don't have the guts, grit, or heart our team has - that was obvious.

miketn6 writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Not sure the strategy has changed so much as the players beginning to trust the offense they should have been executing all along. The offense is evolving.

mlynn1 writes:

I agree with Collegegrovebilly and miketn6, pick and rolls are working better, but in my opinion the post rolling to the basket has been open mostly all year, just didn't get the ball delivered. If Yemi can get some confidence on offense he will be a force when Jarnell is resting, he is missing some chippies.

bUTch_please writes:

Yemi does great, great work controlling the lane, boxing out and maintaining pressure on the other teams' post. Superb job actually. Yemi is also very collected when shooting free throws.

But really, team policy for the rest of this run should be..when Yemi gets the ball, everyone drop what you're doing and run immediately to him.

If Yemi makes as much improvement this off-season on offense as much as he did this season on defense, look out. But till then..

Zo VOLS!

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor agree but would it kill him to throw a chair or maybe even Houston Fancher across the floor once? lol
Bones never lie.

in response to wilk58:

Good point! There don't seem to be any great teams this year, just a lot of good ones, any of which can beat anybody else. The Vols are playing as well as anyone right now, but they are just as subject to upsets as anyone, too.

in response to bUTch_please:

Zo VOLS!

Good comment to follow several other good ones. Agree completely about Yemi. There was one play in the Florida game where he rolled to the basket after setting a screen, just as other posters described, and an accurate pass was thrown to him, but he just fumbled it out of bounds. The staff needs to research improving hand-eye coordination and drill him relentlessly on it in the off-season. That is pretty much an innate skill, but anybody can get better at it. The other thing is to teach him to stay low and wide when he is near the basket so he can power up in traffic and won't get pushed around as much. He reaches too much and seems to be up on his toes too much. That might have worked to some extent in HS when he probably had a height advantage against most opponents, but SEC posts are bigger, stronger, and better leapers than those he faced in HS. He seems to be a great kid, though, and his upside will be limited only by how hard he is willing to work.

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

Don't mess with success, Witchy! It would seem that a quiet phone call to the SEC officials office got done what a whole LOT of chair-throwing might not, for Martin at least. I agree that it would be a hoot to see that at least ONCE though. He could blow that "cool pose" all to heck, for better or worse!

GR82BTNVOL writes:

in response to johnlg00:

LOL-these posts are great. Maybe Yemi needs to be fitted for glasses--I'm not sure he sees the ball:)

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to dvhill100:

If you remember the 60's, then you didn't do it right. :-)

I was way too young. I was born in 55 but can remember about 5 years of the 60s fairly well. It's the 80s and starting a career that I'm embarrassed about. NO drugs just lots of cigars and alcohol.

BUT I DO remember that pro ball was fun to watch back then. Any kind.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

I'm a Yemi fan! I love his enthusiasm.lol I love Hall's mean looks. I say play all 3 at the same time for about 10 minutes. You know try to set a record for # of fouls in 10 minutes. I say all 3 would foul out and we can go to 4 guards and 1 small forward. I think it'd be fun. We'd still win.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to GR82BTNVOL:

I agree but sometimes you can't see it because it was shot out of a rocket. Maybe he just needs a pair of glove to lighten the sting. Gotta be ready regardless.

in response to GR82BTNVOL:

He does seem surprised by it a lot. I think it would help in the short run just to remind him to keep his hands up at all times. He often seems to have his hands at his sides, so he has to bring them a long way to be ready to catch it.

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

Yeah, the feeds could be better, too. The thing is, the openings for the passes are so fleeting that the passes almost HAVE to have little mustard on them to get through. I remember one pickup game I was in with some pretty good players after a long period where I was only able to practice on my own. I fumbled several pretty good if rather hard passes that could have led to easy scores if I had handled them cleanly. Everybody needs to practice passing and catching regularly, and some need more of it than others.

Bark_at_the_Moon writes:

JUST WIN!

bobe4544 writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

And it took Bozo all year to figure this our? WOW.

lemme_axya_this writes:

I'd like to hear coach Martin say "Chef don't judge."

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Well I admit that most of those passes can be caught if you're prepared for them. I just noticed some that looked pretty darn fast several times this year. In baseball we'd practice sometimes catching barehanded supposedly to toughen up. My bony hands hated that.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to NEVERBECONSERVATIVEWITHKNS:

Maybe you're just a "wolf in sheep's clothing" or maybe you're a "sheep not of this fold".

Either way you shouldn't call Martin a fool. It's not nice. I have criticized him a little bit at times myself. However your verbage is "foolish".

CoverOrange writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I seem to remember that Kenny Hall had "hands-o-stone" his first couple of years. He got better. Yemi may not reach his full potential until his senior year. Right now he would do better to be told to go to the basket with authority, two handed dunk everytime. On back to back trips Yemi got blocked after the pick and roll that he tried to lay it in, Kenny came in right after that and slammed it on the same play.

in response to CoverOrange:

That is exactly what I was talking about. Most players can't slam it if they are off balance and jumping from their toes. That is where the idea of learning to stay low and taking his time comes from. He tries to get off the QUICKEST shot he can instead of the MOST POWERFUL shot he can.

in response to NEVERBECONSERVATIVEWITHKNS:

Well, as I told a poster on another thread who said that "everybody" was "disgusted" with Martin earlier, you seem to be projecting here. Many of us were disappointed with the way the team was playing, and SOME thought it MIGHT help if he were a little more demonstrative. Well, during this winning streak he may have been a LITTLE more visibly active, or not, but the team is playing a LOT better. People who call other people "fools" because their favorite team doesn't play up to their expectations need to look in the mirror.

in response to bobe4544:

And it took Bozo all year to figure this our? WOW.

It took us NO time to figure out that YOU were a bozo, even though that is an insult to clowns everywhere.

SevenT writes:

CoverOrange writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I admit to being one that was disgusted and ready to throw in the towel after the Georgia game. I believed the talent was there and Martin wasn't getting it out of them. What they are doing now is great but if both Stokes and Maymon come back next year and we are in this same position of hoping to win out to get invited for the third year in a row, I'm going to be more doubtful.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to SevenT:

You went to Purdue? Really?

Basketvol writes:

in response to NEVERBECONSERVATIVEWITHKNS:

Here we are, having a good conversation, and then this nonsense. LOL! You shouldn't use absolutes (i.e. never), capitalizing makes it worse. Not to mention that people who can control their emotions are often "stronger" people than those who cannot.

Basketvol writes:

in response to SevenT:

30 points (and it could have been worse). Just saying.

in response to CoverOrange:

Can't argue with you there. If they have the team I think they will have next year and they all stay healthy, yet we are in the same situation next year, I think we would all have serious doubts. I'm not going to go into all the reasons why I think they had the problems they had last year and earlier this year, since I have already given them, but it seems to me that almost anybody would have to agree that they wouldn't be doing as well now if Martin just couldn't coach.

in response to SevenT:

It would make an interesting psychological study to find out what makes YOU so stupid.

in response to johnlg00:

PS, CO: I surely don't remember you calling Martin a "fool", even if you DID have doubts about his coaching. As I have said many times, it is possible to disagree without being disagreeable or calling people nasty names because they don't perform up to our expectations. That guy crossed a line no decent person should approach.

bobe4544 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Really, see how Bozo is doing in two years from now.

Vols4Ever writes:

in response to SevenT:

In a futile attempt to make any logical sense of your posts, it is obvious a short test is warranted:

1. You attended Purdue
2. You played ball (with oneself doesn't count)
3. You attended any school other than middle for 4 years
4. You smoked weed for 4 years
5. You are "cool".
6. You think (although I realize that requires cognitive thought which is beyond your capabilities) Coach Cal is above average
7. You matter at all

RememberWhen writes:

don't mistake boring and uncertain for cool....the man has never taken a team to the dance.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

You "trolls" seem to be enjoying the "coolness" of today's article. Actually Martin is the definition of cool in it's "laid back" form. He doesn't get riled easily. I think when he does we'll know he's angry. This makes him a good teacher. Kids don't know what to expect from an up one minute and down the next adult. He seems to be a teacher coach. He's always talking to the players. They actually hear him because he's not yelling. Did you know that people tend to shut you out if your angry and yelling?

Besides your definition of "boring" may not be a "cool" one.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

"YOU'RE angry" not "your angry" in the above post.

I hate it when I mees up correcting someone!!!!!

GBO

in response to bobe4544:

Really, see how Bozo is doing in two years from now.

We already know that you will still be a snarky nobody two years from now or for however much longer you continue to suck up oxygen that could be used to sustain decent people.

Basketvol writes:

in response to RememberWhen:

Yes, so boring I almost fell asleep in TBA during the UF game. No noise, no excitement, no energy, no action, no scoring, just boring black-curtain basketball. Did they even win that game? I was so consumed with BP lust that I couldn't even stay to the end. How did that game turn out anyway?

I hear the UK game was so boring that quite a few people disappeared before the end of that one. Of course that was just the UK fans (and team apparently).

brod writes:

plenty of tickets available down in athens tomorrow vol fans.

BigOrangeFreak writes: