Cierra Burdick out indefinitely with broken hand

Tennessee forward Cierra Burdick (11) dives against Davidson guard Laura Murray (2) during the second half of an NCAA college basketball game Friday, Dec. 28, 2012 in Knoxville, Tenn. Tennessee won 75-40. (Photo by Wade Payne, Special to the News Sentinel)

Photo by Wade Payne, copyright © 2012

Tennessee's Cierra Burdick has suffered a broken right hand and is out indefinitely.

The sophomore forward suffered the injury on Monday while in the gym working on her game outside of official practice.

The Lady Vols still will have nine players available for Thursday's SEC women's basketball opener at South Carolina. Guard Jasmine Phillips, who has not played since Nov. 25, will be available for duty.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

Cierra has the mindset that whatever the timetable is for her expected return to duty, she'll be back sooner.

KVCrockett writes:

Love her game, hope she has a speedy recovery. Need somebody to pick up the slack. LADY VOLS are young but talented.

oldster writes:

She seems to be a tough young lady, so I do not think the injury will get her down, but nature decides how long something will take to heal. The problem with her will probably be to keep her from working so hard, or coming back too soon that she will reinjure it. Just stay in shape and work on ballhandling and shooting with the other hand, Cierra.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to oldster:

I don't know how old you are oldster but I am 71 and I have found out over the years that nature has no idea how big your heart is and if there is any chance of a fast and complete recovery, she'll be there.

volfan2002 writes:

I wish her a speedy recovery she is a great player for us.

SummittsCourt writes:

That sucks! It would be nice to make it through a complete season without a major injury.

movol53 writes:

Opening SEC play with 8 players and returning one (Phillips) who has not played in six weeks. So a total of nine healthy players. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! Lady Vols have three recruits coming in for next year and are loosing two seniors does Holly have any plans to get this back up to full strength of 14?? I know it can't happen overnight but we are getting kinda thin.

underthehill writes:

One of my favorite Lady Vols..highly intelligent team player..huge loss...

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

on and on.................

Get well Cierra

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Sorry to hear this news, but wish her the best for a complete recovery. Once again, a dubious fact.........sure seems every year the Lady Vols lead the nation with key injuries. All the way back to Candace, Sidney, Holdsclaw, Catchings, Spani, Glory, Cain, plus others' names I can't recall, on and on.................

Get well Cierra

voloffaith writes:

in response to movol53:

So two seniors will be turned loose or we are losing them? Regardless, Cierra gone til maybe March madness if we are even there as a participant......

PureOrange writes:

Really hate it for her and for the team. She is a very good player and we need her very badly.

Theo writes:

in response to voloffaith:

For someone who flaunts their religion you are awfully pessimistic.

Go Lady Vols! Get well soon Cierra!

voloffaith writes:

in response to Theo:

For someone who flaunts their religion you are awfully pessimistic.

Go Lady Vols! Get well soon Cierra!

"Flaunted" religion is one of hope...but that hope is in Christ! You call it pessimism as I call it being realistically cautious...maybe someone steps up with others also elevating their game....or they beat the teams that are good, but find the results the same against quality opponents like Bears and Cardinals....FTR I don't flaunt as it is integral in my life every day and prevalent in conversations.....rather have a LIVING hope vs "hope and change" that disappoints....

Theo writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Blah, blah, blah. This is a sports site not the 700 club. You flaunt it so you can blather on. In my experience the folks with the deepest faith don't flaunt it and don't force it on others.
Forward!

voloffaith writes:

in response to Theo:

Forward!

Don't flaunt it and don't force it...how did I force you ? See my poster name do a Dionne Warwick and SKIP on by..... 700 Club is a full time show...I gave you 15 secs and you get antsy. But let me get this straight...if someone wants to discuss Nigerian grass growing every time they post on here, blended with a sport point as well ,they are flaunting.....well I must cease blathering for now...happy new year young mister Huxtable...

Tough luck for a very classy and competitive young lady! This hits the LVs where they are weakest. Cierra was coming along as a versatile wing player who can shoot, handle, defend, and rebound. I'm sure she will be back as soon as humanly possible, and I'm equally sure everybody else will step up enough to get the LVs into the Big Dance. Almost anything the team gets this year is gravy anyway. Nobody was expecting them to contend for the national championship with such a young and inexperienced team. Next year, they will have experience up and down the roster and a great class coming in; THEN we will see the kind of LV team we long-time fans have come to expect.

r2d2 writes:

in response to movol53:

I believe the NCAA allows 15 young ladies to be on scholarship.

r2d2 writes:

in response to I_OWN_MANY:

Very cruel and tasteless comment.

in response to r2d2:

Very cruel and tasteless comment.

That's all that stupid, newby, troll jerk has EVER posted on here! Just another one of the "legions of the miserable" who isn't happy unless he can make somebody else feel bad. Whatta life, huh?

in response to r2d2:

I believe the NCAA allows 15 young ladies to be on scholarship.

Actually, I thought the NCAA scholarship limit for female basketball players was 13. I'm pretty sure Pat never had even that many active players on scholarship at a time. It doesn't make any sense to me, either, especially considering that female athletes seem to be more injury-prone than male athletes. However, in the name of "competitiveness" and "cost-cutting", the NCAA says the women get fewer scholarships than the men do.

r2d2 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

The NCAA scholarship limit is 15 for women basketball players. It is 13 for men. The NCAA is considering cutting the women's limit to 13.

in response to r2d2:

If you have actually looked this up, I will take your word for it. I could have sworn I heard it the other way around, but maybe not.

r2d2 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I looked it up. Don't take my word for it.