John Adams: Cincinnati's bowl gives UT fans glimpse of 'Butch Ball'

John Adams

The bowl season has become a blur by now.

I struggle to distinguish between Arizona's spectacular finish against Nevada and Baylor's first-half surge against UCLA. And I can't separate the games in which helmet-to-helmet hits were called personal fouls from the games in which they were called good defense.

Was it the Duke running back who lost the ball and consciousness on the same play? Or was that a San Jose State ballcarrier?

Amidst the mixed memories, Cincinnati provides some clarity. Maybe that's because it wasn't just playing in a bowl. It was giving us a preview of "Butch Ball."

Coach Butch Jones didn't stick around for the Bearcats' bowl venture against Duke. He took the Tennessee coaching job and brought the majority of his coaches with him, leaving a patchwork staff behind.

Never mind that he had moved on. The team that beat Duke 48-34 in the Belk Bowl was the team he built. He might have left the premises, but his mark couldn't have been removed from the program or the team that easily.

UT fans might not have been impressed by the performance. The same Duke team that collapsed in the last month of the regular season outplayed the favored Bearcats for much of the game.

A fair critique of Cincinnati would have to include the coaching attrition that left it shorthanded in the preparatory process as well as game-day management. The broadcasters left the impression that the Bearcats were rounding up workers right up until kickoff. A football office secretary's husband even had a role. How's that for resourcefulness, or desperation?

However flawed the bowl production might have been, the overall impression wasn't necessarily negative. Cincinnati struck me as a tough team — tough enough not to be impacted by all the distractions that accompany a coaching change and tough enough to overcome a 16-0 early deficit against a Duke team motivated to win its first bowl since 1961.

The Bearcats' defense often was on its heels against coach David Cutcliffe's offense. Despite all the ground it gave up, it didn't lose its aggressiveness. The same aggressiveness was apparent in Cincinnati's running and blocking on offense.

UT fans could appreciate the same aggressiveness and toughness in Jones' first Tennessee team.

Coach Derek Dooley's third team was tougher than his first. But in a league as tough as the SEC, the degree of improvement wasn't enough. Besides,

how aggressive and tough can a defense be when it too frequently couldn't get within striking distance of a running back or receiver? And how physical can your running game be when your offensive strength is pitching and catching?

Jones stressed "physical play" at his introductory media conference last month. He apparently made the same point when he met with former Tennessee players.

Former UT offensive tackle Mike Stowell liked what he heard. Stowell, who was a guest on "The Sports Page" radio show last week, referred to Jones' "drill-sergeant" approach to football. It's an approach Stowell favors.

During the Christmas holidays, Stowell happened to catch the final minutes of Tennessee's victory over Arkansas in its 1998 national championship season. The game-winning drive consisted of one run after another in which UT blockers dominated the Razorbacks at the line of scrimmage. It brought back fond memories for Stowell.

He remembers the same type of attack when he blocked on UT's behalf in the early 1990s. Those teams were known for having great skill players like wide receiver Carl Pickens and running back Chuck Webb, but they also were physically tough teams.

Improving UT's talent is a recruiting matter. In the meantime, maybe the Vols can tough it out under their new coach.

John Adams is a senior columnist. He may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com. Follow him at http://twitter.com/johnadamskns

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

NYCApple writes:

Been an hour and no one comments. Deafening silence. Crickets. Faint sound of a baby crying... Then sound of fart ripping onto a steel folding chair.

underthehill writes:

I thought Cutcliffe was awesome with his play calls..the 2 fumbles by Duke inside the Cinn 5 yard line gave them a chance and to their credit they did take advantage..but the show ..as far as I could see..was about Cut and his offense..Cut is going to have to get better players to compete with Clemson & Fla State..wouldn't surprise me if he does...

underthehill writes:

in response to NYCApple:

My wife heard it but I don't see how you did..oops..you must have had your own excitement at your house...

Orangeblood13 writes:

Ever the pessimist Mr. Adams is
I wish Butch would drive over and smack
Em
I think butch knows what he has gotten into and what he left

RichmondKyVol writes:

in response to underthehill:

Excitement or excrement? Or both?

atnvol#283282 writes:

I am very hopeful that B.Jones will make us think of a young Doug Dickey back in the mid-sixties....hopefully with the same winning results. On a different note, I just finished watching the Rose bowl and I think Wisconsins receivers had the worse hands of any team I saw in the recent Bowl games ....their coach is now our coach....although I will say that their QB from Tennessee's Kingsport D-B high school seemed to be throwing high most of the evening.

Traumaslave writes:

Butch who??? The runaway coach???? Good luck with this guy Vols. Sucks for the Nati that 2 yrs running their coach ran off before the bowl game. Says more for the players than it does the coach. Keep rockin Bearcats!!!

6972 writes:

Does JA ever write an article that doesn't mention Dooley or the Ky game of 2012?

Reminds me of wives who are always bringing up the hubby's mistakes of days gone by.

woodwr#217203 writes:

Bearcats played soft pass defense, but they hit really hard and tied with a minute and 90+ yards away played to win.

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

Cincinnati only had 5 coaches, FIVE!, to get ready for this bowl game and Butch wasn't one of them. JA your twisted, warped logic that allows you to criticize CBJ for a teams performance in a game in which he didn't coach makes me wonder if you are related to Jeff Flowers. Enough of you.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Butch Ball?? I thought this was a story about UT fb, not Baylor bb..My bad.

ccjs writes:

How tacky and biased the title of this article is. Disgraceful.

Pistolpete13579 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Butch Ball?? I thought this was a story about UT fb, not Baylor bb..My bad.

Look........closely .........Adams ........Apple . Not John , he doesn't have one.

manning_berry_special_player1614 writes:

all i know is that all the coaches in the ol ncaa will have a lot to learn about this new playoff gig that takes affect starting this year....maybe butch and staff are the guys for the job..go vols

td writes:

in response to atnvol#283282:

The Wisconsin receivers did miss a few passes that looked catchable. As for Curt Philips, he is from Kingsport, but he attended Sullivan South (which never beat Dobyns-Bennett during Philips' years at SS).

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to Traumaslave:

"Butch Who?"

I'm guessing it's the same "Butch" that's so under your skin right now that you felt compelled to sign up for a GVX account on New Years Day so you could respond to an article on an opposing fan's website. Don't blame you for being chapped though. Heck, Cincy is one the few teams we could beat last year and to make matters worse, we poached your coach this year. Ouch. Happy New Year Bearcat!

Geofffourmyle writes:

in response to TNVOLNTX:

"Butch Who?"

A sour p@ss Bearcat fan is a good sign.

Walt

UT '81

volfan1202 writes:

Has Jones gotten a verbal commit from anyone yet?

underthehill writes:

Kingsport kid switched from Vandy..3*..may lose best recruit..Jason Carr..Memphis DE..looks like it may be difficult recruiting year but whatever happens..I think Jones recruiting would be better judged by next year and how he is reported to be repairing Dooley's strained realations w/high school coaches...

GoVols_16 writes:

I would love to see what Stanford's roster looks like talent-wise compared to USC & Oregon. Yet, their COACH has them playing like a bunch of 5-star guys. Let's hope Butch can do the same!!! GO VOLS!!!!!

VolFanUSNavy writes:

in response to 6972:

Give him time. He just recently got over Kiffin. It is about a 3 year process.

VolFanUSNavy writes:

in response to underthehill:

Go take a look at his previous recruiting classes from Cincinatti. He recruits the state of TN alot. He had more 3 star recruits from TN at Cinci than we did at TN. Not that 3 star recruits are what we need but does show he has clout in the state of TN.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to underthehill:

Unlike this troll site, there is good recruiting info on volquest. Vols are in on several 4 and 5* players. CBJ is building a relationship with TN high school coaches. First 2014 committ is 4* Vic Wharton nephew of Brandon Wharton formers Vols basketball player

bikervol writes:

in response to atnvol#283282:

He actually played at Sullivan South High which is in the county-in Kingsport but not DB-I thought Alvarez was afraid to let him do anything but hand the ball off-he was a Tennessee Mr. Football as a senior-best I've seen around here in a while-shame he didn't go to UT but they wouldn't commit to him as a QB

ncvol11 writes:

Butch Jones and most of that staff don't have a clue when it comes to competing in the SEC for recruits. Witness #48 current ranking and the decommits. It was very telling at the end of the Rose Bowl when they were talking about the Stanford coaching staff's background. Specifically they stated that the head coach and many of the other coaches had NFL coaching experience. They also stated that most of the 18 year old recurits were looking for that type of background in a coach. No wonder we have not even made a dent in the 4 star recurits much less 5 star. Also, it explains the problem they seem to have connecting with the top recruits we have.
It would be great to think that they can coach up a 48th ranked class to compete with USC, Georgia and Florida. Kink of reminds me of the prior Michigan coach. Nice guy but out of his league.

hueypilot writes:

in response to ncvol11:

I think we might let Butch and his guys get a few weeks under their belt, maybe even a full recruiting season before we throw him on the junk heap. I think the school and the conference carries some weight. Obviously Jones and Tennessee are now in the position to recruit a different category than would be attracted to Cincy. Let's give the guy a chance before we make a judgement on him. Miles, Saban, Meyer, none of these guys were born coaching in the SEC.

linebam writes:

"Former UT offensive tackle Mike Stowell...referred to Jones' "drill-sergeant" approach to football."

Ya know, he does kinda look like (and remind me of) Sergeant Carter from the old "Gomer Pyle, USMC" series. :-)

I'm behind you 100%, Sarge!

USMC_1959 writes:

I can assure you a bada** Drill Instructor can turn a bunch of recruits into bada** Marines!

in response to ncvol11:

WAY too premature to be saying that Jones and staff can't recruit SEC-quality players! It takes almost everybody YEARS of building relationships with players and HS coaches to have a shot at the top-rated recruits. The current rating, whatever it is, can't be laid at Jones' feet; that is DOOLEY'S last recruiting class, minus whoever decommits and plus whoever Jones can get at virtually the last minute. There are ALWAYS decommits when there is a coaching change. This is not unique to UT or to Jones. If you are indeed a Vol fan, why don't you wait until the class is SIGNED and then maybe another year to see how they play before giving Jones the thumbs-down as a recruiter.

Big_Orange_Aide writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Yes Vol fans lets be positive about this new coach and his staff. We have all endured too much negativity lately for this great program. I am hoping Jones statement about putting the best staff together was well thought out. I can also see that the more highly touted recruits seem to be interested. I hope we can land Carr, Bell, and Kohler.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

in response to USMC_1959:

And many of them don't look anything like 5* recruits when they arrive at PI. But you can sure tell the difference between a first week platoon and a graduating platoon. Kind of like comparing Pee Wee Herman to Ray Lewis.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

NO one remembers that UT had to put Pickens on D, too....which is what I honestly thought UT should do with Patterson this year. One thing is for sure, no one would outrun him over 40 yards, and he was big enough to make the hit.

Or that Pickens got into a verbal tussle or two with his offensive coordinator, one Phil Fulmer, I believe, for being TOO conservative.

The great coaches know you have to minimize the chances for things to go wrong first....which means putting your best athletes on defense.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

Concerning Patterson:

I watched Condredge Holloway all I could as a kid. If you have never seen him, I bet he might be on youtube somewhere.

Anyway, Condredge, Stanley Morgan, and Patterson are, in my book, the most exciting offensive players UT has ever had.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

in response to emailnodata:

Sorry all, meant
"should have done this year"

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to chuckfromwoodberry:

Chuck,

Good luck on getting that through Adams' thick skull.

And yes, he may be related to the troll, Wilted Flowers..........maybe even the same
clown.

Thumper72 writes:

in response to emailnodata:

Sorry all, meant
"should have done this year"

When Coach Dickey took over, he emphasized defense "11 of the best against all the rest," and recruiting. Lets hope Coach Jones can get above the 11th or 12th in the SEC we are currently at 'cause that won't cut it.

LVFL90 writes:

in response to amyinsparta:

I like you, AMYINSPARTA! Happy New Year and GO VOLS!

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

in response to Orangeblood13:

Ever the pessimist Mr. Adams is
I wish Butch would drive over and smack
Em
I think butch knows what he has gotten into and what he left

He may know what he's gotten into, but I do not believe for a moment that his background, skills set, coaching staff or recruiting prowess is able to WIN AN SEC CHAMPIONSHIP...
OR CHAMPION OF THE EASTERN DIVISION!!!

Let's see...Fulmer had 2 of his last 3 seasons better than all but one of Doodley's...and his players were in nowhere tht level of trouble as Thug-enabler Layne...and were almost as good...

and we now are back at a level that Fulmer hired as his OC, his last year...

but as a Head Coach for $18MILLION GUARANTEED...AND RAISING ALL COACHES SALARIES FOR THESE CINCINNATI Coaches.

Who the HEXX is minding the store.

These people are great politicians---they say things that East Tennesseans and Memphis people want to hear, about how good the HS football players are in the State of TN, and that they think they can win with them.

If they really believe that, they need to resign immediately, and go for psychiatric exams---or change professions.

That is an absolutely inaccurate assessment.

Face it...UT is being fleeced. Hart has his NuXX in the fire...and this is being publicized and promoted to be much bigger and better than it EVER will be capable of being, with this bunch of mid-major-level competence as coaches.

Straight Up!

therightstuff writes:

in response to ncvol11:

Just wondering, if those college coaches that have coached in the NFL are so good, why are they back at the college level? Why would one leave more money and no recruiting to step down to the college level? Oh yeah, how bout Kiff and his NFL staff? And how is it that Butch Jones and most of his staff have no clue? Saban, Miles, Muschamp, Spurrier, Richt, all came from outside the SEC and have done OK.

mpp4211 writes:

Amen "the right stuff" Saban and Spurrier both brought there hiney back to college for the love of the game and the kids. How many times did Dooley embrace one of his student athletes--never! Butch Jones has showed more compassion for our beloved Vols then genetic SEC coach Dooley ever did oh i forgot the orange pants, lol and the docksides. By the way them mighty Gators are getting there tails whipped by a little Big East basketball school. And as far as these Recruit fare weather nasayers JJ Watt is doin pretty damn good in the big show and he was recruited to Central Michigan by Jones before walking on at Wisconsin after he transferred. Finally everybody that wants a positive 2013 outcome should look in the mirror and be positive as TRUE UT fans! Yes Volfan1202 Jones has stole a recruit from Vandy and stole another from Cincy today he even went around the corner and landed Foreman outa Kingsport. Come on Vol fans get YOUR act together before you doubt a man giving a legitimate effort to make the Vol Nation stronger!!! It shouldnt take a VFL from Georgia to reprogram Yuns!

volthrunthru#658770 writes:

For those who have a problem with people point out some flaws in this coaching staff:

a. Anybody who sees a manure sandwich on which somebody has placed a new lettuce leaf, served on an orange plate, is supposed to holler as if Doug Dickey, Johnny Majors and Phillip Fulmer were all assistants to The General for 2013---and yell, "GO VOLS!!!" and eat lunch from the orange plate. To avoid doing so, you apparently believe, is disloyalty.

b. Otherwise, anybody who has the audacity to suggest that a lot of emperors in Knoxville are in the nude, is supposed to be throttled.

c. And your implicit point is, apparently, that stupid comments from very ignorant people, who do not know good football from a mountain oyster, are supposed to be respected.

d. Finally, you apparently expect people who DO know some things about athletics, administration, football at the level of big-time collegiate competition, to shut up and let dumb comments be treated as truth.

Horse manure.

UT Football is in as bad trouble as it has ever been. Those in charge are so desperate they hire mediocre coaches, give them healthy raises, and a second-tier head coach woefully paid beyond his expertise, experience or track record.

The coaching search that resulted in his hire was an absolute shame, casting UT in the kind of light it has been since Mike Hamilton first began his incompetent tenure---except momentum of stupidity by Hart has more national journalists looking.

One of those Journalists, Tim from Louisiana, wants UT to do well; he said good things. He knows Jones and staff are far, far below the level UT would command if it had not become a destination to be avoided by better coaches.

That’s due to bad fans, the Fulmer debacle (Hall of Fame Coach, widely respected by HC's around the nation, etc, etc; yet publicly humiliated by Hamilton and the BOT and top two admins at UT;)
lack of recruiting base in Tennessee---yet these coaches come from some bush league school and tell ignorant Tennesseans what locals want to hear---Tennessee recruits from Tennessee can win the SEC---and they get three years to deliver garbage wrapped in excuses.

Jones et al are a small cut above Dooley as coaches. Disciplinarians they may be; but they have nowhere near the background to win in the SEC. They do not know how to recruit 5-stars---barely recruiting 4-stars---real ones, not 4-stars they have convinced rating services to rank upwards, to make them look good.

Notice they raped Cincinnati to come here, taking recruits from that school. THAT is classless---for a 3-star player, on top of it all. But they have no other options, because they are not getting into the big time players.

UT is in for a long ride---and it will not end well with this bunch.

Men's Basketball, as well as baseball, as well as the shameful Pat Summitt handling is just par for the course at UT, nowadays.

mpp4211 writes:

Volrunthru if your so displeased with UT athletics then you should seriously consider changing YOUR choice of loyalty. As for me and several other fans I think it is safe to say your a disgruntled manure spreading human being that know matter what UT does at this point you won't approve! Here's a thought go pull for Kentucky you obviously are under the impression you have all the answers. It is safe to say that Confucious himself couldnt have predicted the way my VOLS would come outa of this predicament that was bestowed on us when Kiffin skipped town. UT hired a coach, gave a chance he wasn't effective the same thing happened at UGA, UF, USC, both of them soon to be OLE MISS , MICHIGAN, N D, do I need to continue oh yeah it even happened at BAMA, and A U.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to volthrunthru#658770:

Horse manure.

UT is in for a long ride---and it will not end well with this bunch.

Vol fans,

Speaking of manure, look above for evidence of such. This pathetic site has this little group of trolls, we know who they are.

This idiot, has 'thru and thru' proven to be as big a jerk as any of the others. Daily, we are witness to more and more trolls with huge emotional issues. Fortunately, there aren't that many trolls........Billy the kid,
Wilted Flowers, and now this clown has shown everyone he is their equal........thru and thru, of course.

in response to volthrunthru#658770:

Horse manure.

UT is in for a long ride---and it will not end well with this bunch.

I am SO glad I have enough going on in my life right now that I don't have to wallow in such misery! You state your highly debatable opinions as if they came to you on a stone tablet inscribed by the hand of God. There is no good to be gained in trying to refute you point by point because you would never accept the idea that you COULD be refuted. You think that because something hasn't happened YET, it never will.

As just one small example of the way you overstate things to make your point about the weakness of HS football in the state, while it is true that an SEC champion team could not be built with a majority of players from Tennessee anymore, there are PLENTY of players from Tennessee who play on championship-quality teams from coast to coast. If the Vols ever get back to the point where a Patrick Willis or a Randall Cobb comes to UT instead of seeking greener pastures elsewhere, the program will thrive because of it. Jones has made it a commitment to do that. Of course, if the Vols HAD signed those players, you would cry about it since neither of them were ranked above 2 or 3 stars. I don't know who in the UT administration peed in your Cheerios, but whatever the circumstances were, it has clearly warped you for life.

budd#207344 writes:

in response to ncvol11:

This wins the award for first stupid comment of the year. The staff has not been in place for a month and you already know how they will do recruiting? What a jerk.

tenecvol4 writes:

in response to LVFL90:

I like you, AMYINSPARTA! Happy New Year and GO VOLS!

Army- you got the right attitude--CBJ will have em kickin a--- and taking names