9-win season, top 15 recruiting class building Vanderbilt's optimism for 2013

Vanderbilt players celebrate after defeating North Carolina State 38-24 in the Music City Bowl NCAA college football game, Monday, Dec. 31, 2012, in Nashville, Tenn. (AP Photo/Mark Humphrey)

NASHVILLE - The buzz over Vanderbilt’s bowl victory and nine-win season will last for a while.

Then signing day will arrive, and the Commodores are expected to score there as well with a commitment class that is ranked 14th by Rivals.com and 16th by ESPN.com.

And then the focus will shift to the 2013 season. What kind of team can James Franklin put on the field after losing several starters at key positions? Is it possible to equal or, dare anyone suggest it, actually improve on 2012?

“There’s going to come a point where we’re going to start talking about things that people think we have no business talking about,” Franklin said after Monday’s 38-24 Music City Bowl win over North Carolina State.

Continue reading at The Tennessean

dvhill100 writes:

Congrats to Vandy for a good year and bowl victory. NCST won't want to play Tennessee schools for a while.

HarveyDent writes:

The top 15 class is a joke and a meaningless talking point. They will fall come feb.

voloffaith writes:

CGB the gift that keeps on displaying itself tinsel and all so that we can all see him in his sad state. Gotta be aKNS plant cos all you got 'sky is falling' stuff to stoke the coals....

On topic, congrats to the dores on a good season.

FLORIDAGATORHATER writes:

Strike that. Really a seven win season, legitimately. The stars aligned for Vandy this year as Tennessee and Auburn both fielded possibly their worst teams of all time. And let's remember, they still lost to the big boys, not including Northwestern. Next year they will be lucky to win six games.

FLORIDAGATORHATER writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

Or if you're Franklin you benefited from two of the worst teams Tennessee and Auburn have ever fielded. Better to be lucky than good sometimes.

tnbigg writes:

Congratulations Vandy...

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to collegegrovebilly:

suggest removal

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

When you haven't really done much overall in many years it's natural to get giddy and all over yourself......as V U is doing. We do acknowledge for them this is quite an achievement.

Vols4gzus I agree 100% with your comments. We do wish this kid, Billy from his grove someplace, would achieve something himself so he won't show everyone just how much of a little brat he is here. Perhaps if he can move up from the used t.v. business and make something of himself,he won't take out all that insecurity on everyone else. He and Wilted Flowers have to support each other's habit, so not much can actually be done about them in all actuality.

manning_berry_special_player1614 writes:

congrats to vandy well earned finish...and enjoy it while it last....you are not going to have TENNESSEE to kick around anymore

rtrchatt writes:

in response to FLORIDAGATORHATER:

What kind of "luck" does rocky flop need to win 6 in 2013? All kinds.......

LovinMyVols writes:

Vandy is still Vandy and blind squirrels occasionally find nuts.

bogey74 writes:

How many teams with winning records did Vandy beat?

PennVol writes:

If we win 9 games next year, including 5 in the SEC and a bowl game, we'll be giddy too. Let's give them some credit. Dooley would still have a job is he would've acheived this in 2012.

voloffaith writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

What kind of "luck" does rocky flop need to win 6 in 2013? All kinds.......

Thot ewe would be all wrapped up in all things bama moving to the date with destiny next monday...how soon you forget your woeful years not too long ago...enjoy the bliss while the great sabini still stalks the sidelines as his daughter walks the halls looking for.....anyway farragut boy happ nu year 2 ya....

CCLC writes:

Football is cyclic. We'd all do well to remember that. Notre Dame was on top for a long time and then fell. Looks like they have managed to find their way into a championship game. It's been a interesting year. Now that the season is over we should put our rivalries aside and enjoy the off season chat. Enjoy your victories Vandy. Just don't whoop it up too much. You might just motivate a team that is already annoyed. Commodores you do remember what happens when you really annoy a team and a fan base......48-3 help jog that memory?

hueypilot writes:

I don't like Franklin. I don't have to give a reason. I just don't. I don't like Vanderbilt. Went to school there and at UT so I can make a choice, and I do. I choose UT. Vanderbilt will almost always be what they are. If Franklin is smart he will leave this graveyard of coaches while he still has a career left. He was the beneficiary of knocking Mizzou's QB out in the first quarter, and the weakest Tennessee and Auburn teams in over 50 years. With all this interest they couldn't sell out their opener to South Carolina. Let's let them have a couple of years success instead one flash in the pan. Unlike others on this thread I do not wish them good luck. I don't like them and I don't like Franklin. There, I feel better. Happy New Year.

voloffaith writes:

in response to CCLC:

Now we want to kiss and make up after the snide remarks? Just wanted to make sure no hallucinations taking place....woof woof said dogs to cornhuskers....

BigBadVol writes:

in response to hueypilot:

I like this post. I feel the same way. I grew up in Nashville and graduated from UT. I have never liked Vandy. The players and fans are delusional. James "Boom Boom" Franklin needs to enjoy this while he can because reality will hit in the next couple of years. If a big school makes an offer, he needs to take it.

albert63 writes:

TN should have gone after Franklin.

RollTideJoe writes:

in response to tnbigg:

Congratulations Vandy...

Class post! I, too, congratulate Vandy for their good season. Franklin has done a masterful job there and is energizing the fans.

kyvol98 writes:

in response to RollTideJoe:

All 8 of them!

murrayvol writes:

in response to hueypilot:

And Vandy grads also have their jeans pressed.

JonGrudensAgent writes:

I have nothing but disdain for Vandy.

Enjoy the 9 win season, make your dvd's, and prepare to be put back in your place next season.

gamecockfan writes:

Being part of the SEC family Congrats Vandy.
This college is known for the academics and now they are climbing the SEC ladder.
Best wished to Coach Franklin and the team

navarrebeachvol writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

What kind of "luck" does rocky flop need to win 6 in 2013? All kinds.......

new year, still the same ole pathetic loser, eh Chatt? I got lucky with your mom last night, does that count for anything? Guess not, wasn't too difficult.

CincyOhVol writes:

Meanwhile, Tennessee is ranked 12 out of 14 SEC teams by Rivals in recruiting for this year.

Curious if we have any top prospects considering us?

mountainbrook writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

What kind of "luck" does rocky flop need to win 6 in 2013? All kinds.......

Golden Dome vs. Mobile Home.

pcorange writes:

I'm not one of the hate Vandy types of Vol fans. I actually like to see Vanderbilt do well, as long as it isn't against Tennessee. James Franklin has done an outstanding job both motivating his team and recruiting at Vandy. I went to the Music City Bowl as a guest of a friend who is a Vanderbilt fan. While I am a Vol through and through, I must admit Franklin had his team ready to play and he made some gutsy calls throughout the game. As long as he is around, the Dores will be pretty tough. I'm not saying they'll win 9 or 10 games every year, and I have my doubts they'll ever win an SEC championship (although I wouldn't bet against it), but they will be tough to beat.

cyclonevol87 writes:

I almost feel like I should thank Vandy If they hadnt beat our Vols we may still be stuck with Dooley.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to cyclonevol87:

Almost makes you wonder if someone else was thinking the same thing. Maybe the same thing last year against Kentucky although Hart didn't bite.

cltvol writes:

I loathe Vandy. Always will. Nothing personal, just the name, the unis's, and the gap between what they have really accomplished and their self delusional perspective of what they think they've accomplished. They remind me of how cocky Mussolini was when Italy allegedly 'conquered' an emaciated foe in Ethiopia and within 4 years his corpse was strung upside down by partisans being pelted by rotten maters. Those who can relate to the feelings of George Cafego RIP and Joe Thompson, wherever he is, know what I'm talking about. Franklin had a lucky year and things came together with predecessor Bobby whats his name's set up of overcoming the sludge and muck of only one bowl win since Sputnick. I-40 was not a viable route to Dud statium the last time the Peabody Aristocrats had a consistently competitive answer to the UT Vols. I expect that the next time the teachers' college has a consistently competive program i-40 will be oboslete, replaced by time travel or some other way of conquering space and time not known at this point.

civilianvol_formerly_marinevol writes:

Vandy has reason to be cocky: they have now beaten UT twice in the last 30 years. Enjoy it while you can. In the next 2 or 3 years we will go back to being Tennessee and you will go back to being Vandy. But, it's for your own good. You really don't handle success very well.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to navarrebeachvol:

Classless comment! Moms are off limits, now if you want to call the turd a turd, feel free.

underthehill writes:

in response to pcorange:

I have always been for the Vols 1st and Vandy 2nd in the SEC ..both are Tennessee schools..if any school in Tn..Belmont, Tn Tech, MTSU, Lips, etc. is playing a school not from TN ..then I am for the TN school..Vandy hired a coach who came in saying..if you improve the product on the field..you will put fans in the stands..Dooley came in making excuses ..notice the difference..the only way to handle the Vandy situation is to put a better team on the field..NOT hope Vandy gets worse..cause that might be awhile...

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

To be clear about the 9 win Vandy season.........that was 2012.

Looking ahead to 2013, and a lot of people like to assume wins and losses on paper, so here goes:

Probable wins but no guarantees on a couple of them:

Ole Miss
Austin Peay
U Mass
UAB
Kentucky
Wake Forest

Probable losses:

South Carolina
Missouri
Georgia
Texas A & M
Florida
Tennessee

Probably 6-6

Maybe a little better, or even worse

navarrebeachvol writes:

in response to cltvol:

LOL. love this.....

navarrebeachvol writes:

in response to Vol_in_Mich:

sorry, when it comes to Bama and Florida trolls, they are in play. If they don't like it, they can troll elsewhere.

Central_IL_Vol writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

What kind of "luck" does rocky flop need to win 6 in 2013? All kinds.......

Why don't you take your sorry Crimson TURD opinions and stick 'em where the sun don't shine!

You are a pathetic little troll who is a Bammer Moron bandwagon fan and has probably NEVER been to a Crimson TURD game. Grow a set you little inbred, toothless, classless, Harvey Updyke fool and get a life! No one here give a rat's rear about Nicky SATAN and the Crimson TURD, aka THE BEST TEAM MONEY CAN BUY!

Don't you have some trees to poison or some drunk schmuck to rub your junk on?

edee writes: