Phillip Fulmer feels good about new Vols coach

Former Tennessee football coach Phillip Fulmer and his and his wife, Vicky, left, just after they ran through the "T" prior to the Vols Nov.  29, 2008, game against Kentucky. It was Fulmer's last game as the Vols' coach. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick

Former Tennessee football coach Phillip Fulmer and his and his wife, Vicky, left, just after they ran through the "T" prior to the Vols Nov. 29, 2008, game against Kentucky. It was Fulmer's last game as the Vols' coach. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

— Tennessee’s new football coach made a good first impression of one of its former coaches.

Phillip Fulmer, who coached Tennessee from 1992-2008, was the keynote speaker at the National Strength and Conditioning Association coaches conference at Nashville Convention Center on Friday.

Nearly 800 college and high school strength and conditioning coaches attended the conference.

Tennessee hired Butch Jones from Cincinnati one month ago.

Continue reading at The Tennessean.

GainesvilleVol1 writes:

UT needs a strong, UT based AD to bring all the athletic units together. Mr. Fulmer, any Volunters for the job?

GO VOLS!!!

nocleats writes:

"But first and foremost, we have to fix our problems internally.”
Speaking DIRECTLY to CHEEK! Get off your high horse DR Cheek and quit analyzing and assessing the dynamics of the situation and FIX THE PROBLEMS!
IF a player meets SEC and NCAA standards for admissions, LET THEM IN !!!!!!!!!!!!!

underthehill writes:

in response to GainesvilleVol1:

GO VOLS!!!

In my opinion..Dave Hart's resume' clearly indicates to me he was not qualified to be hired as AD at UT..his actions thus far have indicated to me this was by far the worst thing that could have happened in the UT ath dept..I believe the Sunseri hiring and his contract alone is enough to justify UT firing Hart w/o a buyout..add to that the way the merger was handled and the lawsuits..Fulmer is right..

tennrat writes:

If Fulmer likes him that can't be good!

tennrat writes:

in response to GainesvilleVol1:

GO VOLS!!!

Oh! Good gosh NO! No! No! Tennessee hasn't recovered from the Fulmer era yet. Don't start another!

pcorange writes:

in response to tennrat:

The Fulmer era was the best era we've had since the Neyland era. What we haven't recovered from, and may never, is the Mike Hamilton era.

david_light_38230#225602 writes:

I believe that Coach Fulmer is speaking to Cheek and Hart! These two have to work from the same page, that page has to be completely supportive of ALL athletic coaches and programs.

Cheek has been a disruptive presence in and around the athletic department since his arrival. There have been several articles highlighting his actions that have not been favorable - the merger, the "checking account", etc.

There is a LOT of things that must be "fixed", Cheek is just one of them!

GO VOLS!!

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to 2Dlems:

Immature.

volzcrushm writes:

in response to tennrat:

Other than General Neyland, PHIL FULMER HAD THE BEST 'ERA' IN TENNESSEE FOOTBALL.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Although I'm glad Fulmer approves of Butch Jones, he shouldn't be campaigning for the AD job. IMO that shows poor taste and disregard to our current AD and administration. Mike Hamilton is the buffoon Fulmer has an ax to grind with, not Hart.

CCLC writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

It's good that coaches rally around new coaches but the AD thing was unfortunate. FWIW Fulmer approved of SOD as well.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to CCLC:

That's true and shows Fulmer is still bitter, but I'm not sure Dooley was given a full endorsement like Majors did..Either way it appears Fulmer had his eye on Hart's office all along. If he were a complete workaholic like Saban he would be in that AD chair as we speak instead of dropping his name at every coaching vacancy hoping for a bite.

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to GainesvilleVol1:

GO VOLS!!!

I wish Fulmer could get a job coaching in Hawaii , as far away as possible .

KVCrockett writes:

Cheek and Hart, two body parts we need to have replaced.

beartn#223846 writes:

I don't think Fulmer is campaigning for the AD job at all, and I think he's right. We haven't had a good president since Dr. Joe Johnson retired, and I think we have bigger issues at UT than the athletic department. Just like the changing coaches often has left the football program in disarray, changing university presidents as often has done the same.

Finally, I am still surprised how many negative comments Fulmer continues to get. How many of you would gladly accept an identical record from Butch Jones over the next 17 years (same winning % and 1 national title)? I would in a heartbeat.

goldengate writes:

in response to 2Dlems:

The words associated with the above post had to be from an equine proctology text because they were written by a horse's A$&..............

pcorange writes:

I watched a documentary on Arian Foster the other night on ESPN. I didn't realize how much effect our idiot fans have on the recruits, the players, and their parents. It is no wonder we have trouble getting somebody who will coach here.

traderjoe writes:

As I've posted before, the measure of CJ will come in 3 stages, recruiting, game management, and won-loss record.

So far, we've only gotten a glimpse at recruiting. I haven't seen any big talent being pursured or committed but I guess it's still early. We'll see. We've got the bestest coaching staff in the country so we should end of with the bestest recruits...right?

jt45 writes:

in response to beartn#223846:

Just goes to show how far we have fallen, all these negative comments. I also dont think CF has ever gone after the AD job, in fact he has shown more class and Loyalty to the Vols than most fans ever would. I cant see very many of those here who would still bleed orange after being treated that way. Its just ridiculous the way some fans bash CF and stand up for the likes of Hamilton or even go so far as to endorse UT hires who have absolutely no Tennessee ties whatsoever. I dont really dislike some of these outsiders but you would think people would at least look at home to those that have served UT before making such decisions.

usafvol writes:

in response to jt45:

Some people come on here only to be negative. It's kinda sad if you think about it; I know people who aren't happy, no matter what and it's no picnic being around them. I guess they have no friends that will listen to the constant complaining so they come on here in hopes of making others as miserable as themselves. Pitiful but true.. Go Vols

bobbyutvol writes:

All the negativity really hurts the Vols. Coach Fulmer is a true VFL Shame on you for slamming a true Vol with a great winning record and a National Title. Recruits look at this board and all the comments. This does not help recruiting at all. Either be supportive or just keep your comments to yourself.

underthehill writes:

in response to jt45:

I think you are 100% correct..what I objected to the most was..when UT was in the process of hiring an AD after Hamilton..it appeared to me it was made clear that anyone that was UT connected would not be considered..so if you attend UT ..this makes you not qualified to work there?

iowavol writes:

in response to pcorange:

Spot on. I've made similar comments in the past. Living in the Midwest, you get to see how people react without any filtering. There was a tackle from Iowa a few years back that made specific reference to this website and one of it's reporters (Adams) as being too negative for his taste. I can't remember his name now, but at the time he was one the top rated tackles in the country.

I know I overuse the comparison to Nebraska fans, but if we want an example of how to get behind a team as fans, we don't need to look any further than that team. I love the story of a reporter from a Lincoln newspaper that wrote an Adamesque article - one time. He didn't write another article in Lincoln or the state of Nebraska. Some of our more uninitiated fans rave at the stuff he puts out while recruits cite him personally as too negative.

Arian Foster had a couple of mistimed turnovers that ended up costing us games. Some of our more vociferous fans blamed him and never could let go - even after his success in the NFL. But the truth is, he had those turnovers while giving second and third efforts and carrying the team on his back. He is one of the best backs we've ever had and we've had some good ones. Good for him. At least he still claims to be from UT.

If Haslam really wants to support this team, buy KNS and clean house. Get reporters in there that will SUPPORT UT Sports rather than denigrate them as often as not. I'm tired of KNS costing us coaches and recruits.

SevenT writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

I have quite a bit of disgust for this type comment. Fulmer brought Tennessee back from the Neyland days. Tennessee had been run into the ground by an arrogant boozehound has-been Jonny Majors. I could make a list a mile long of Fulmer's accomplishments.

Just Saying

tennrat writes:

in response to beartn#223846:

well at least Jones didn't stab a Tennessee legend in the back to get the job!

GloryDays writes:

in response to tennrat:

If Fulmer likes him that can't be good!

I am sure you found something to complain about during the 98 season?

GloryDays writes:

in response to dwolfcreek#397971:

I wish Fulmer could get a job coaching in Hawaii , as far away as possible .

I wish you could move to Hawaii. It's obvious you know nothing about the history of Tennessee football. Please leave, get on an alabama web site!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to SevenT:

Just Saying

Uhhh, if only you knew how much IDGAS!! You stinkin' tucky trolls have no business responding to anything on this site..GFYAD!

AncientVolFan writes:

in response to pcorange:

Sorry, there is obviously a large contingent of UT fans who far prefer the past four years to the Fulmer years. They are wallowing in the recent achievements since Fulmer left. Oh, well, everyone is entitled to their feelings.
By the way didn't Tahj Boyd look good. Didn't Fulmer recruit him?

wigmeister writes:

in response to iowavol:

Good post

SevenT writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

People who use that type of language are generally not very educated.

Try coming up with something clever next time.

6972 writes:

PF has had his day. Some good and some not so good. But it seems to me, that we don't live in the past, we live in the present, and we are trying to build for the future. Let's support our new staff.

pcorange writes:

in response to bobbyutvol:

Vol_USArmy_Soldier writes:

Phil, minus the few remaining man-crush Fulmaristas, we do NOT care. Enjoy the fishing, UT Athletics paid for it.

BigToe18 writes:

Everytime i come here to read about the vols. all i hear is crying. cry,cry,cry it seems to me that it does,nt matter what coach came here all these so called TENN VOL FANS would find something to cry about. i can understand being DISAPOINTED in the last five yrs. but all teams go thru yrs. like this. MAN UP PEOPLE !!! VOLS WILL BE BACK

pcorange writes:

in response to iowavol:

Arian's mom made reference to a message board. I would assume it is this one, since the others seem to police the trash on their sites a little better. I'll admit I was pretty negative about Coach Dooley, not personally, but I just didn't think he was a good coach. I think we have a good coach now and I think we need to get behind him and his staff.

We need to show potential recruits that we are UT and this is a place they'd love to play football. Instead, there is another thread on here where fans are talking trash about Tyler Bray, one of the better QBs we've ever had. What little success we've had in the last three years was directly attributable to him, yet our fans treat him like he's trash. If I were a five star recruit, frankly I'd go somewhere else, too.

ashvol7 writes:

in response to dwolfcreek#397971:

I wish Fulmer could get a job coaching in Hawaii , as far away as possible .

He needs to get away from UT and stay away. He is responsable for this whole mess and needs to leave. I haven't heard of any school and I mean any, wanting to hire him. He had his chance and did not take care of business as he should have. The school needs to send Cheeks and Hart with Fulmer. Get some people who has the schools best interest at heart.

AllforTenn writes:

in response to beartn#223846:

You forget that Fulmer inherited a very sound program from Majors and left it in disarray?

exlineman writes:

Do you so called Tn. fans who, don't seem to realize that there are 4-5 vanderbilt-peabody fans on here trying to destroy Tn.'s program and get recruits to this little program on West End Av.

A peabody vanderbilt fan will stoop to any level, just read some of Brett Roberts post on here all one and the same person. He is a die hard peabody fan, as his girl friend has put it clear to him, you don't drive the gold corvette, if you don't pull for peadbody. He is a troll to the point of being sick in the head. He is Can't stand saban, 45 revolver, glens fobiles, billy bob from college grove. Just read his posting on this site, they are all basically the same spewing on this site. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to pick up on his posting on this site. His little blonde also likes to post on here as well. To some recruits it looks bad for this to appear as our fans. You guys need to call them out more often.

tovolny writes:

HEY, WAIT, HOLD YOUR HORSES. It just occurred to me that UT has never had a UT graduate as Athletic Director. Hart, Hamilton, Dickey, Woodruff, and some other guy who's last name started with an "N." Beyond that, I don't know. UNIVERSITIES DON'T NEED ATHLETIC DIRECTORS. The head coaches should report directly to the President. The President should have an "Athletic Committee" composed of the other sport's head coaches and a couple of financial hot shots from the big, leather and wood offices. NO SCHOOL needs ATHLETIC DIRECTORS. Remember, the position was created so that a good head coach could be paid more money without the president being run out of town. AD's are like mammary glands on a boar hog...they can be sucked, but nothing much comes out of it.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

HeII Beare, if Phil was half the coach as Satan he would still have his job.

Vol_in_Mich writes:

in response to exlineman:

Huh? WTF are you spouting about? I think some of you hillbillies have lost your frigging minds. When did the inmates at the Bend get internet access? You can't have any kind of football discussion on here without all kinds of wackos comming out of the woodwork. This site is better than Jerry Springer! What a joke my school & state have become.

Give em heII Butch, you may have F'ed comming to K-ville.

VOLet_parking writes:

in response to ashvol7:

Dooley did a great job of keeping former Vols away. How did that work out?

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Vol_in_Mich:

HeII Beare, if Phil was half the coach as Satan he would still have his job.

That's a great point..

volhome writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

You had gas? Gee, there are medications for that. Except for those that spew from your mouth or fingertips.

volhome writes:

in response to AllforTenn:

Yeah, we were all out of sorts in 1998. Oh, and the year before his unceremonious firing CPF led us to an SEC East title, and but for one ill timed interception, another SEC title. Tool.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to volhome:

That was hilarious..Not! Go lay with your CPF blowup doll, baby boy.

BigBadVol writes:

Hart is trying to do the right thing by UT. Anyone suggesting something different is retarded. Get over yourself.

snuffysmiff writes:

in response to tovolny:

Woodruff graduated from Tennessee in 1939.

pcorange writes:

in response to BigBadVol:

I agree. I think we've all become so accustomed to wanting to fire somebody that he's just the next in line. While Dooley needed to go, I don't think any of us really had any say in it. Hart did the right thing and waited until he was sure that Dooley couldn't get it turned around before he pulled the trigger on it. He started out with big name coaches and worked his way down until he got a very high quality coach who wants to be at UT. I don't think anybody could have done any better, especially considering the fact that our academic requirements are higher than other SEC schools.