Lady Vols use big second half to beat Georgia

(Saul Young/News Sentinel)

Photo by Saul Young, 2012 Knoxville News Sentinel

Georgia's Marjorie Butler knocks the ball away from Tennessee's Bashaara Graves at Thompson-Boling Arena on Sunday, January 6, 2013. Tennessee defeated Georgia, 79-66. (Saul Young/News Sentinel)

Warlick reviews 79-66 Tennessee win over Georgia

Before fielding a question, Holly Warlick voiced one of her own in the interview room Sunday afternoon.

"Can we play a first half?"

The Tennessee women's basketball coach didn't wait for an answer. She couldn't muster much exasperation either. She had just watched the second half UT played in a 79-66 SEC victory over Georgia.

For a second consecutive game, the Lady Vols (11-3, 2-0 SEC) emerged from their locker room after halftime as if they were busting out of a phone booth. A 42-40 deficit disappeared in a matter of moments, replaced by a lead that grew to 19 points with 3:04 left.

Before a crowd of 12,319 at Thompson-Boling Arena, freshman forward Bashaara Graves led No. 12 Tennessee (11-3, 2-0 SEC) with a career-high 23 points. She shot 8 for 11 from the floor in scoring the most points by a Lady Vols freshman since Meighan Simmons scored 23 against Stanford on Dec. 19, 2010.

On this day, Simmons scored 16. The junior guard scored 11 during the second half, hitting three of her four 3 pointers.

Freshman forward Jasmine Jones scored a season-high 12 points, grabbed seven rebounds and dished out four assists in 23 minutes.

Taber Spani was Tennessee's other double-figure scorer with 11.

Since the tale of two halves was similar to Thursday's 73-53 victory at South Carolina, Warlick recycled the same explanation for another surge.

"I told you I bottled up what we did at South Carolina and it was a big bottle; I opened it up a little bit today," she said. "You just challenge them."

After carrying the first-half play and leading by as many as six points, No. 10 Georgia (13-2, 1-1) was outscored 39-24 in the second half and outrebounded 28-9. The Lady Bulldogs shot 29 percent from the floor (9 for 31) during the final 20 minutes.

Senior guard Jasmine James led Georgia in scoring with 18 points. Former Webb School star Marjorie Butler played five minutes for Georgia and didn't score.

"One team was able to play two halves of basketball, and the other, who would be us, only was able to play one," Georgia coach Andy Landers said.

The Lady Vols' zone defense again helped change the course of play. While they didn't deploy the alignment as extensively as Thursday, they utilized two different zones to help shrink Georgia's scoring. Nine Lady Bulldogs scored in the first half. Only six scored after halftime and one — guard Shacobia Barbee — scored just two points. Firing mostly jumpers, reserve guard Tiaria Griffin shot 2 for 10 from the floor in the second half and finished 3 for 14.

"We just tried to mix it up and use our length and athleticism," Spani said. "Like South Carolina, they were great penetrators, especially Jasmine James. She was really getting into our paint so we tried to clog it up."

Georgia looked like South Carolina in scoring 10 second-chance points in the first half. Tennessee's rebounding limited the Lady Bulldogs to three after halftime.

The biggest change in the storyline involved Jones, who spread her production across both halves in a breakout performance.

"It helps a lot," she said. "I haven't been playing to the best of my ability, so to come out here with the encouragement of everyone else helped me believe in myself as much as everyone else does."

Graves sounded the most excited about Jones' play.

"I'm so happy; I've been waiting for this for the longest time," Graves said. "I know how good she is and what she can do, so I know this game boosted her confidence a lot. I'm going to expect a lot for the rest of the games."

Landers, on the other hand, will expect more from his team.

"I think its a reflection of how poorly we played inside defensively," he said. "You had two freshmen there that had career days today. We weren't very good defensively."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

Damn , this team is fun to watch .

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Another impressive conference win..WTGLV!

underthehill writes:

Young talented team matured some today..best passing and running set plays by a Lady Vol team I have seen since..I don't know when..Jones is starting to play like Graves..Jones, Harrison, Graves played strong inside..Simmons was patient and had good shot selection..

orange_glory writes:

holly is getting it done. maybe pat knew what she was doing in giving props to her

orange_glory writes:

we may not win it all this year but the sec is looking promising

Razor784 writes:

This team is way ahead of where I thought they'd be right now. They can beat anybody when they all get healthy.

golfman1975 writes:

An under-maned Lady Vols went to work and scored another win when they were expected to loose. Great coaching adjustments with the zone to help keep the team fresh for offensive sets. Worked the paint. Coach W is starting to get settled into her new role. Players are listening and executing. Just goes t show you that the team with the best team doesn't always win...Landers was out-coached.

madrigal writes:

How about THAT, all you whiners? Go Lady Vols!

CCLC writes:

Congrats UT! Looks like Tennessee still has Lander's number even with Coach Pat on the sidelines. Nice to see the Lady Vols working their way back to the top. Just wish it wasn't at the Lady Dogs expense. Enjoy your victory.

movol53 writes:

The second half is how to play ALL the TIME!!! Probably will not go to final four but should go deep in post season. Who knows if the Lady Vols get well and some other teams have injuries anything can happen. Notre Dame beat UConn two days ago; this year is going to be fun to watch!!!!

LadyVolsFan71 writes:

Great win Lady Vols!

TheBigGipperNRealSports (Inactive) writes:

in response to orange_glory:

Lets not go too far. It was a nice win, but this team if far from competing with ND, Standord, Baylor, and UConn. Beating a middle of the road SEC opponent with no tradition is not a reason to think this team has arrived.

Still not sold on Holly and her ability to get a team ready to play on the road. See Baylor and Chattanooga.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to movol53:

For all those that doubted Coach W, here is an example of how to coach an under-manned team with a short bench to victory. I Coach W had coached UConn yesterday, they would have won by 10 points. Coaches do make a difference.

movol53 writes:

in response to golfman1975:

I agree with you golfman. I believe everyone is learning their roles on this team and the staff. I do not doubt Warlick; it's always a adjust moving up one chair along the sidelines and you've got to make the team believe in you as a coach and they've got to believe in the new staff. The Lady Vols have a short bench and everyone will have to play beyond what they think they can do. Plus the Lady Vols have some injuries making planning even more of a challenge for this new staff. Go Lady Vols!!!

volfan2002 writes:

Graves is the best freshman to come to Tennessee since Candace Parker. She makes big baskets and if she gets fouled makes the free throws. This team is getting better and I think we can win the SEC and maybe even make the final four.

jt45 writes:

Excellent second half play by the Lady Vols. The Active zone Holly has started using lately is really paying off. I thought the Lady Bulldogs first half shooting was off the charts and was starting to think this game would be too close for comfort, fortunately they cooled off when the LVs turned up the pressure and came out swinging in the second half. This game played out alot like the SC game but Georgia is a better team. Maybe the best team the LVs have played outside Stanford and Baylor. They all played well today.

Well done Ladies, now get ready to show those show me state girls how its done.

Theo writes:

in response to TheBigGipperNRealSports:

Okay - what was your old name?
First - Georgia is not a middle of the road SEC team. They were ranked 10 and expected to compete for the SEC title with Kentucky.
Second - I call a road win against South Carolina (by 20) as getting a team ready to play on the road.
Third - This team would now beat Chattanooga, in Chattanooga by 30.
Fourth - I really don't see anyone beating Baylor at home.
Love these Lady Vols. What a fun game to watch. Thought Jasmine Jones showed flashes of what she is going to be for us.
Graves just demanded it today and Simmons played fast but made good decisions. Love the switching defense. Thought Holly took a great time out in the first half when Georgia got up by six.
Just a super win. I believe we only play Georgia once this year (I need to look that up)? If so great tie breakers with Georgia and South Carolina for tournament seeding.

vol98champ writes:

The change to the 3-2 zone was coaching genius. Don't see that much anymore, but it sure worked. First game of the year where all played well.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to TheBigGipperNRealSports:

THEBIGGIPPER...Coach W schooled Staley at USC. Remember...USC took Stanford down to the wire before losing. Then Stanford got smoked by UConn and then UConn got beat by ND. That is why they actually play the games instead of listening to you.

movinonup writes:

With Izzy on the bench most of the day, we were working with a rotation of 6 ladies. At half only down 2, with Izzy on bench for 14:00 minutes, I felt good about our situation. I thought by far this was the best game Simmons has played - within herself, not forcing shots, but scoring when needed. Spani is impressing me with her play this year - good defense, got a lot of key rebounds today, and had turned into much more than someone who can make a lot of 3's. Graves - what can you say? Times today that I swear Glory was back - the next 3 years are going to be fun to watch. Not wanting to wish this season away because enjoying the heck out of watching these girls and really think they can make a deep run into the tournament, but when Mercedes gets here next year - watch out !!!

golfman1975 writes:

This article will be followed by a John Adams YEAH...BUT article. So predictable. THE BIGGIPPER could be John Adams...as a matter of fact I would think he has several screen names. I have some good names for him.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

With a bit of anticipation, I just got back home and saw the score........since I was away all day.

Next.......I remembered the troll's prophesy.
"and the ladies get smoked today." This was from the idiotic troll........"I own many."

Well, when trolls rattle their mouths like this, the Lady Vols have this tendency to make them look like jerks.........and guess what? The jerk has spoken and the Lady Vols have shall we say........replied.

jt45 writes:

in response to Theo:

Okay - what was your old name?
Third - This team would now beat Chattanooga, in Chattanooga by 30.
Fourth - I really don't see anyone beating Baylor at home.

Good points, Jasmine Jones has a deceptively fast first step when she drives to the basket and is one to watch going forward. This group is starting to click and it shows both on and off the bench. I think Spani is playing some of the best BB ive ever seen from her,,,her shot is coming back and she is playing good defense.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Theo:

Okay - what was your old name?
Third - This team would now beat Chattanooga, in Chattanooga by 30.
Fourth - I really don't see anyone beating Baylor at home.

I Agree with all you said.

TheBigGipper dosen't know basketball. Stay tuned gipper. You will become educated by tournament time.

in response to underthehill:

Jones is REALLY growing on me the more I watch her. She is still a bit raw in some areas of skill, but she is a wiry-strong, raw-boned battler who is never afraid to stick her nose in there. And unlike many young players, she is not afraid to assert herself on offense. I had heard less about her than some others in her class, but she is already an asset to this team in setting a tone of toughness that has recently become a defining attribute of the team as a whole. Based on their performance in the last two games, especially both second halves, I would have to say that, while they may not quite be in the class of the top four--Stanford, UConn, Baylor, and ND, in no particular order--they fall somewhere between the 5th and 10th best teams in the country. That means that if they stay on this track, they will have a chance to sneak into the Final Four. Still a lot of ball to play until then, of course, and you always have to wonder about consistency with a young team and the ever-present possibility of injury, but I surely like the way they have recovered so far from the Baylor and Stanford debacles in which they too often looked like scared little girls. I think either one of them will see a very different Tennessee team if they cross paths again.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to orange_glory:

Not a big Holly fan, but I agree she coached a very solid game today..Her Time-outs were very well placed (especially when UGA closed to within 2 at 52 to 50)..That particular T.O. and substitution broke momentum UGA was feeding off of and IMO swung the game completely UT's way..Great overall team/coaching win.

ssgdebity writes:

Great win for LV's. However I cannot get over the fact as I was looking at GA's record vs ours. GA has not played anybody mainly Div 2 schools with the way it looks on their schedule. Whereas the LVs have played at least 9 ranked teams. So how is it this GA team has been ranked in the top ten all this time. Whereas the LVs have scratched and clawed their way up. MHO for all schools in the SEC is to have a schedule similar to our or harder that way coaches can truly measure their effectiveness and play. Instead of beating up poorly match teams and say you are good. IMHO.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to golfman1975:

Why don't you just shut up and enjoy this victory.
Adams is only bad in the eyes of the ignorant.I guess that is where you fit. Why do some of you hate the truth?

in response to volfan2002:

Graves is already better than Glory Johnson was as a freshman. Graves is just as relentless as Glory but she finishes inside better than Glory ever did and is a FAR better free-throw shooter than Glory ever was. I hate to get too giddy about a young team this early in the season, but there is no question these young ladies are growing up before our very eyes. Playing with all that youth and energy around her also seems to have revitalized Taber Spani, while she provides a steady hand and a calm voice to help them stay under control. I really like how this team is progressing, and all of those who have been knocking Holly can just go jump in the lake!

golfman1975 writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Why don't you just shut up and enjoy this victory.

OK Mr Adams.

in response to Theo:

Okay - what was your old name?
Third - This team would now beat Chattanooga, in Chattanooga by 30.
Fourth - I really don't see anyone beating Baylor at home.

His comments do seem to have a nastily familiar, unpleasant ring to them, don't they? He doesn't seem to realize that a young team grows from game to game. Not only do I think they would wear UTC out if they played them now, I think they would make even Baylor and Stanford sweat a little even if they aren't quite as good as them yet. One always needs to be cautious about praising a young team too much too soon, but anybody who doesn't like the way they look now just doesn't WANT to believe anything good about them.

south_alabama_vol writes:

in response to TheBigGipperNRealSports:

Lady Vols are the only SEC team with a winning record against the Lady Dawgs, who were ranked #10, and you say the Lady Dawgs have no tradition?

r2d2 writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I agree with your assessment of the LVs. I believe they will finish the season with a won-loss record of 22-7 or 23-6.

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Jones appears to me to be more physical than Graves and has the potential to be just as good..Harrison amazes me the way she is becoming a total player..the thing I saw in the Stanford game was how much better Stanford passed the ball and run set plays..that gap was closed some today..I thought Simmons played her best game as a Lady Vol..I saw only one time she lost her focus and let the defender strip the ball..she was patient and had good shot selection.. the play I liked best was at about the 8 min mark..Kamiko hit Jones with a good pass..Harrison broke thru the lane ..got a pass from Jones for a lay-up..I agree with you..if they play Baylor or Stanford again ..they will see a much more mature Lady Vol team..and they might fool some folks in the big show..

golfman1975 writes:

in response to abnerPeabody:

Why don't you just shut up and enjoy this victory.

Nothing wrong with the truth...he is just a bitter old fart. The Adams article about the SEC next year was simply a man trying to read the tea leaves so why is that considered the truth. Did he PREDICT TA&MU beating Alabama? Did he PREDICT Vandy having a great year (at least compared to their history). Come back when you get through puberty.

TheBigGipperNRealSports (Inactive) writes:

in response to south_alabama_vol:

Yes. The Lady Dawgs have had decent teams from year to year, but lack real tradition. How many National titles do they own? How many final 4s?

Tennessee's chances of being the top program in womens basketball year after year is pretty slim under this staff. Simmons could prove me wrong, but I am just not sold yet. I guess the previous coach spoiled it for me.

ModelMaker writes:

I thought Graves kept us in the game in the first half. I thought Jones stepped up big time. I was impressed with what Graves said to Deerstone after the game. She said Jones is a very good player; we expect her to play well everytime she comes in. If she said that to me it would do nothing but help my confidence. Looks like we may have two leaders on this team.

chaos001 writes:

First off, WAY TO GO, LADY VOLS!!!

Georgia was typical Georgia...all bark, not bite.

Graves - LOVE watching her play. I knew while watching her in HS that she was something special. She's definitely a lot like Glory minus the flying elbows. Anyone who doubts that she'll be at least a three-time All American is foolish.

Harrison - Effort, development, heart. You can definitely see her volleyball background with the way she anticipates passes and shots...that's where those steals and blocks are coming from. Speaking of steals, the one she had after that "foul" (whatever) was full of some attitude. It was almost a "screw you" to the officials. Loved it.

Jones - Definitely a diamond in the rough. Lots of raw athleticism that's taken her to where she is today. If she and the coaches can chip away the bad technique and decisions while working on finesse...she'll be freakin' dangerous.

Spani - Great hustle, emotion, and leadership. Deadly today when she's on.

Massengale - some nerves at the beginning with some forced passes and ball control issues. Just be confident.

Williams - great contribution with her handling skills, length, quickness, and active hands.

PureOrange writes:

Love this team. The hustle; unselfishness; defense; banging around the basket; refusing to give in or give up; everyone shooting instead of spending time trying to get the ball to one or two players; and great attitude.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to TheBigGipperNRealSports:

You do realize the Lady Vols were playing #10 Georgia today right? I wouldn't call them a middle of the road SEC team with no tradition.

Dude, get a clue!

8inarow writes:

The game wasn't as close as the final score.

BxVol writes:

Another great win by the Lady Vols!Unfortunately for me I was only able to catch a few minutes of the game on tv, but did see Meighan pull up for a jumper which was money and something she can do time after time.Graves is having a great freshman season.There are many comparisons to Glory, but early in her career in my opinion is ahead of Glory because she has a better feel for the game.Jasmine Jones showed us what she is capable of and I was not surprised because could see her ability early on.Love the fact that we had 22 asssists! Shooting percentages were excellent.Ony negative was too many turnovers.Bottom line was the Lady Vols took care of business!Keep on working hard and you are capable of winning the SEC.The future is very bright!

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to Theo:

Okay - what was your old name?
Third - This team would now beat Chattanooga, in Chattanooga by 30.
Fourth - I really don't see anyone beating Baylor at home.

great post !!!!!! GO LADY VOLS

CCLC writes:

in response to TheBigGipperNRealSports:

The Lady Vols have been a perennial power. But let's not take too much away from the Lady Bulldogs.
"Coach Andy Landers, a pioneer in the sport, has coached the Lady Bulldogs since 1979, leading them to seven regular-season SEC titles, four SEC tournament championships, twenty 21-win seasons (an average of 24.4 wins per season), 23 NCAA tournaments, and five Final Fours. Landers currently stands as the winningest women's college basketball coach not to have won the national championship. The Lady Dogs' all-time AP ranking stands at 4th as of 2005.

The Lady Dogs have also produced two U.S. Olympians who have combined to earn six Gold Medals (Teresa Edwards and Katrina McClain Johnson), 16 former players who have continued to the WNBA (second-most nationally), and six WNBA first-round draft picks in the past five years (second-most nationally). There were eight Lady Bulldogs on WNBA rosters in 2006: Kara Braxton, Detroit Shock; Kedra Holland-Corn, Detroit Shock; Deanna Nolan, Detroit Shock; Kelly Miller, Phoenix Mercury; Coco Miller, Washington Mystics; Christi Thomas, Los Angeles Sparks; Sherill Baker, New York Liberty; and Kiesha Brown, New York Liberty.[9]"

TheBigGipperNRealSports (Inactive) writes:

in response to CCLC:

Nice copy/paste. Zero NC's in a sport without a ton of competition, speaks for itself.

Volinflan writes:

in response to TheBigGipperNRealSports:

Go home!

Volinflan writes:

in response to volfan2002:

Absolutely great player. Great fun to watch. Some compare here to Glory. The differece is Bashaara hits her shots after a rebound.

HazardKYVol writes:

Good win. Another one down and only 1088 more to go.

tonyvick#213307 writes:

in response to Theo:

Okay - what was your old name?
Third - This team would now beat Chattanooga, in Chattanooga by 30.
Fourth - I really don't see anyone beating Baylor at home.

Well said and absolutely right.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

in response to CCLC:

Good point CCLC . Uga does have a rich tradition. Thx for visiting.
Now I finally watched the game and wow our girls look great. We played well with a 7 player rotation compared to Ga 10 or so and made it look easy. They had no answer for the zone, no answer for our post and no answer for our perimeter shooting.
Looking at the schedule its beginning to look good for the lady Vols. Can't wait !