Jenkins latest Florida player to declare for NFL

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — Florida linebacker Jelani Jenkins is turning pro after an injury-plagued season that ended with foot surgery.

Jenkins missed four games, including the Sugar Bowl, and might not be 100 percent for the NFL combine in February.

Nonetheless, the junior from Olney, Md., announced his decision to enter the NFL on Monday. He joins safety Matt Elam, defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd and tight end Jordan Reed as juniors leaving Florida early.

"Jelani informed me that he wishes to pursue his dream of playing in the NFL," Florida coach Will Muschamp said in a statement. "We wish him the best of luck and encourage him to return to Florida and complete his degree."

Defensive end Dominique Easley, though, announced Monday night that he is returning for his senior season. Easley had a team-high four sacks this season.

"I'm comin back for my senior season," Easley posted on his Twitter page. "we gotta get where we need to get."

Easley gave Muschamp his first bit of good news in weeks. The coach lost four juniors to the NFL and had several other players — including quarterback Jacoby Brissett, running back Chris Johnson, safety De'Ante Saunders and offensive tackle Matt Patchan — transfer in recent weeks.

Jenkins' decision was somewhat surprising.

He missed two games because of a broken bone on his right thumb and another because of a hamstring injury. His latest injury came in November, when he broke a bone in his right foot against Florida State, had surgery and missed the bowl game.

He finished the season with 29 tackles, two sacks and an interception. His biggest play came in November, when he returned a blocked punt 36 yards for a touchdown with 2 seconds remaining to beat Louisiana-Lafayette.

Jenkins played in 36 games at Florida, including 31 starts, and totaled 182 tackles, 16½ tackles for loss, six sacks and three interceptions.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

Another Gator whose ego is 10 times greater than his ability. I'm not saying he isn't good, just too early for the next level.

lstbodeanvol writes:

whats going on down there lil ZZ gator aka Titletownz aka Delta Charlie ???? Brissett and Johnson leaving to only for another college team possibly Louisville :)

CoverOrange writes:

Heard that Jones asked to talk to Brissett and that Brissett added Tennessee to his list of possibilities. Kudos to Muschamp for not being restrictive about transfers. Not sure UT is the right place for him but hope he does well where ever.

orangecountyvols writes:

Istbodean,

You said it friend. Next thing we know, the trolls ( Title village, zz's etc ) will also be transferring to another band wagon team.

Kinda' like pick and choose your favorite team. After the Louisville game, the trolls are searching for a winner.......you're right, why not just choose Louisville?

As far as the AKA names ..........it would be nice to have a dollar for every new troll name they invent.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

Don't so much care about the players departing for the NFL early, but what's the scoop on the players who are transferring? Does it boil down to lack of playing time, not a good fit for the system, or is there some other locker room drama going on that I'm not aware of?

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

in response to FearTheVols1252:

Probably the same reason Chuck Webb left Tennessee early several years ago. Had he came back it would have been with an 0.0 GPA.

springtx_vol writes:

in response to FearTheVols1252:

I can image that Muschamp is very difficult to play for. In Brissett's case, it is absolutely playing time. He is not going to see the field shy of a Driskol injury. Which doesn't bother me at all. Driskol will never be a top flight passing QB. Dangerous with his legs, but never more than a one read QB in the passing game.

8inarow writes:

in response to lstbodeanvol:

I am going to say what I say to all former Gators...good luck!

You see, we don't turn on our former players and coaches, which is why good players and coaches say YES when asked to play or coach at UF.

Maybe you vols fans should treat your former players and coaches better (see Fulmer, Martin, Conzo and Tee, etc).

If you did, you might get good players and coaches in the future!

voloffaith writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

major injury and speculation on your part......

8inarow writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Istbodean,

Maybe if you didn't whine to KNS so much, we could keep our names for more than a few posts.

At any rate, why would we change our allegiance after going 11-2 through the most difficult NCAA schedule in division I and holding the #1 position for recruiting right now? Not to mention our 8-0 streak against the vols..and everyone of you know we will run it to 9-0 next year...

Nope..once a Gator, always a Gator. Goes well with once a Marine, always a Marine.

Semper Fi and GO GATORS!

zz

springtx_vol writes:

in response to 8inarow:

I am going to say what I say to all former Gators...good luck!

If you did, you might get good players and coaches in the future!

Having lived in Gainesville for 19 years, I call bunk on your statement. Spurrier left in a huff due to the academic issues at UF. Zook had a FireMeKnow site before he stepped on campus. Andy Lopez, baseball coach was run off due to philisophical difficulties. Your women's basketball coach a few years back was asked to leave since she didn't win any championships. Going back before Spurrier, Chan Gailey is still cursed by Gator fans that I know. When Donovan flirted with the Magic, you were calling him all sorts of names. if you go down to the minor sports, UF has had lots of turnover in recent years at softball and golf/tennis (if memory serves, I don't care enough to Google it and confirm everything).

UF is no different than any other school. If a coach wins, they are revered. If they start losing, they are bums. I don't know too many fans that really wanted Meyer to continue on as coach a couple of years ago.

And UT has fine coaches all over the place. We have fine players all over the place. Jones is bringing even better players on board. With what UF is losing this year and with Driskol at QB, I am predicting that you will not repeat at 11-2 next year. Yes, you will have a good team that will compete for the east title. But the entire SEC may be down next year with the talent that is moving on.

punkin writes:

in response to 8inarow:

Semper Fi and GO GATORS!

zz

If you want to talk sports, that's fine but you come here to humiliate yourself and I hit the remove button on all your posts.

8inarow writes:

in response to springtx_vol:

My guess is, when you sobered up, you suddenly realized you were living in Gainesville, GEORGIA. None of what you posted is close to the truth.

We get to read every day what you guys post about Dooley, Slash, Conzo, Pearl, Hart, etc.

When your boys lost to Memphis the other night, Conzo was torn to SHREDS, and he is only in his 2nd year.

8inarow writes:

in response to punkin:

Whatever floats your still, Claude.

tfortennessee writes:

in response to 8inarow:

If you don't like what you read on GoVolsxtra, I suggest you go read a Gator site.

8inarow writes:

in response to tfortennessee:

Marlette, why do you think KNS has so many articles on the Gators? Because you guys LIKE us?

There have been many juniors opting out for the NFL, but KNS puts this article up because THE GATORS DRAW AUDIENCES!

And, KNS does a great job of covering the SEC, so I come here to read those articles, and to watch you guys whine when they post stories about THE GATORS.

TNFaninFL writes:

Great stuff, normal low class Gator Nation, they all think they are great and see who showed up in the Louisville game. Ton of personal fouls, Florida DB in the face of the ref, he should have been ejected too, player punches the Louisville player, Muschump being called for sideline infraction.... all a beautiful thing. If the gator alumni who don't wear jean shorts or have mullets were not embarrassed by what their school did on national TV then shame on them,Driskel is another Tebow, big hulking guy who can run but no passing game. They lose half of their defense. Things are looking up for the Vols.

spvol writes:

in response to 8inarow:

I especially enjoyed the article on the Sugar Bowl.

lstbodeanvol writes:

in response to 8inarow:

LOL LOL The Vols outdraw you in Football and Basketball every year LOL...GO VOLS

AncientVolFan writes:

I wonder if the NFL has done a study on the number of players who end up bankrupt 7 years out of the pros? I believe they have. I wonder what portion of the bankrupt ex-players came out their junior year or at least never got a degree?

TheCopper writes:

in response to 8inarow:

Another bandwagon fan

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to 8inarow:

Semper Fi and GO GATORS!

zz

little gater zz you getting the boot has nothing to do with anyone whining. Its cause you are a trolling piece of you know. It looks like the rats are jumping from a sinking ship after that Sugar Bowl beat down

murrayvol writes:

in response to 8inarow:

Semper Fi and GO GATORS!

zz

33-23 and it really wasn't that close.

bwahahahahahaha!

GerryOP writes:

in response to 8inarow:

Well, well, well ... look who we have here! It's the original lil' ZZGataBoy lookin' for lov ... er ... attention!

Hey little fellar, it's bball season again ... do you remember? Sweep, Sweep, Sweep...

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

Last night on Family Guy, Peter was ragging on the state of Florida and the University of Florida... pretty funny stuff
can somebody post a youtube link?... it's hilarious

8inarow writes:

in response to Show-me-your-TDs:

can somebody post a youtube link?... it's hilarious

Did you watch cartoons before or after you finished your coloring book?

8inarow writes:

in response to murrayvol:

33-23 and it really wasn't that close.

bwahahahahahaha!

Tennessee 18
(4-7, 0-7 SEC)
Vanderbilt 41
(7-4, 5-3 SEC)

8inarow writes:

Looks like Brissett is heading to KY. Vols will be 0-8 in the SEC next year.

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

in response to Show-me-your-TDs:

can somebody post a youtube link?... it's hilarious

It's called... Family Guy : Down syndrome camp... has 1 with Tebow in it too

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

in response to 8inarow:

Did you watch cartoons before or after you finished your coloring book?

You musta seen it or heard about it and didn't like it ...too bad for you and your Florida school

8inarow writes:

in response to Show-me-your-TDs:

Sorry, Wanda, no, I didn't hear about it till you posted it. And no, the Family Guy is not on my list of shows I watch.

Again, did you watch cartoons before or after you did your coloring?

8inarow writes:

in response to Show-me-your-TDs:

It's called... Family Guy : Down syndrome camp... has 1 with Tebow in it too

Oh, that is impressive. You are watching a cartoon that makes fun of people with Down syndrome.

I guess that is better than watching the Vols in sports.

8inarow writes:

I guess that is better than watching the Vols in sports.

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

in response to 8inarow:

Again, did you watch cartoons before or after you did your coloring?

Cartoons are better than that male on male shows you Florida fans be watching... why else would you wear jorts... oh I know ...it's so you would look like you're leading man... lol

AllforTenn writes:

in response to snowpeapod#263184:

No injury? Stretching that GPA a bit, huh?

volforeverandever writes:

They played for who?

volforeverandever writes:

in response to volforeverandever:

They played for who?

Oh,it was for those title wanabes that got spanked by those big boys from Louisville.