Tyler Bray, Justin Hunter, Cordarrelle Patterson, Darrington Sentimore to NFL draft

Tennessee defensive lineman Darrington Sentimore (94) celebrates after sacking Troy quarterback Deon Anthony during the first half Saturday, Nov. 3, 2012 at Neyland Stadium.  (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Michael Patrick, copyright © 2012

Tennessee defensive lineman Darrington Sentimore (94) celebrates after sacking Troy quarterback Deon Anthony during the first half Saturday, Nov. 3, 2012 at Neyland Stadium. (MICHAEL PATRICK/NEWS SENTINEL)

Talented but mercurial defensive tackle Darrington Sentimore is leaving Tennessee to attempt a career in pro football after only one season with the Vols, the university confirmed Wednesday.

UT also officially confirmed what had long been known or at least strongly assumed: Quarterback Tyler Bray and receivers Justin Hunter and Cordarrelle Patterson also were forgoing their final year of college eligibility to enter the NFL draft.

Sentimore, who would have been a senior in 2013, transferred to Tennessee last January after spending the 2011 season at Gulf Coast (Miss.) Community College. The Norco, La., native started his career in 2010 at Alabama, where he played sparingly before leaving the team after being suspended for a violation of team rules.

Sentimore played in all 12 games in 2012, starting nine. He had 18 tackles with a team-high four sacks. Playing on a defense that struggled in virtually every statistical category, Sentimore was usually a solid if not spectacular performer in 2012. He would have been penciled in as a starter on Tennessee’s revamped 4-3 defense in 2013.

On-field performance aside, Sentimore sometimes raised eyebrows because of his penchant for blunt comments. He rarely censored himself during interviews.

Before Tennessee’s season opener against North Carolina State, Sentimore offered this scouting report of the Wolfpack: “The offensive line is pretty good. That’s pretty much it. Quarterback, average. Receivers, average. I’ve played against some good quarterbacks, and I don’t think (N.C. State quarterback Mike Glennon) is as good as the other QB’s I’ve played against.”

As a former Alabama player, Sentimore fielded plenty of questions leading up to Tennessee’s game against the Tide. He didn’t disappoint when asked about Alabama coach Nick Saban.

“It’s just his personality,” Sentimore said. “Like some players, he’ll see you in the hallway and he’ll just walk right past you like he doesn’t see you. You know what I’m saying? I don’t like stuff like that.”

Then-coach Derek Dooley said Sentimore sometimes struggled with maturity.

“He’s an emotional guy. He’s a passionate guy. I’m sure he says things and does things that he looks back on and wishes he hadn’t,” Dooley said. “We’ve had a lot of discussions with him and Darrington has made a lot of mistakes that he acknowledges. That’s just part of his growth. He’s made a lot of progress from a maturity standpoint in the last year and he has a lot to keep building on.”

The team said Tuesday that defensive linemen Omari Phillips and Trent Taylor and defensive back Deion Bonner, all freshmen in 2012, would not be with the squad in 2013.

The three freshmen, Sentimore and Patterson all were members of the 2012 signing class. Including freshman running back Davante Bourque, who left the team last August, six players from that 21-man class are no longer at UT.

It’s not clear if Sentimore will be drafted or have to go the free-agent route to make the roster of an NFL team, as most of the draft projections did not include him as an early entrant this year. Hunter and Patterson are considered potential first-round picks. Bray, who recently selected California-based agent Don Yee to represent him, is currently ranked the sixth-best quarterback in the draft by CBSSports.com.

Meanwhile, five new prospects began taking classes Wednesday. Jalen Reeves-Maybin, Paul Harris, Lemond Johnson and Corey Vereen all graduated from high school and enrolled early. Riyahd Jones transferred from junior college.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

troubleinc writes:

Sentimore departure kinda surprises me.

NashvillePreds writes:

Not surprised by any of the announcements, aside from Sentimore. That news is a bit disappointing to me.
I'll be interested to see how Bray does in the NFL. My guess is it will be a short stay for him there.

Orangeblood13 writes:

Sentimore is a surprise , another year could really benefit

jjk writes:

I guess it's official, although everyone has known for weeks that Bray, Hunter and Patterson were gone. Sentimore, I didn't know much about him, but not a big loss.

AtopTheHill06 writes:

Tip for all NFL teams: Draft CP, get him the ball, and get out of the way.

volnbig11land writes:

Good luck to you at the next level.

Go Vols!

jsnewman writes:

Good riddance... These guys don't know how to win and a fresh start will be better in the long run for UT.

rtrchatt writes:

in response to jsnewman:

Some users consider this comment inappropriate. Reveal this comment.

Who at rocky flop DOES know how to win? Just sayin, 28 wins last 5 yrs......

Ironcity writes:

Sentimore was one of the most disappointing players we had last year. He was always close to making a play but never seemed to make it. I guess between having to study and the change to a less then desirable 4-3 (in his eyes)he is willing to take a chance with the draft. I hate to say it but I see no way he makes it unless he dramatically improves his quickness. Good luck to all of these guys including Sentimore. I hope you all find what you are looking for.

calvolfromkingsport writes:

Movin on, who really cares.

Rumblefish writes:

The numbers posted in this story by each of the players will not mean nearly as much as their combine numbers will. Good luck to everyone!

agentorange writes:

Wish the wideouts were coming back. Bray will likely be holding clipboards most of his career.

RoyaltyVol writes:

"Sentimore played in all 12 games for the Vols in 2012, starting nine and recording 18 tackles, 4.0 sacks, and 5.0 tackles for loss. He also recorded six quarterback hurries and recovered one fumble for Tennessee."

Wow, you mean you can play in the NFL with those stats? If he is drafted it will be LATE rounds.

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

This comment may be inappropriate. Reveal this comment.

Who at rocky flop DOES know how to win? Just sayin, 28 wins last 5 yrs......

Think that record has anything to do with a brand new coaching staff whom have won everywhere they've been?
Thanks for blessing us with your intelligence yet again...

WhoIsJohnGalt writes:

Not sure exactly what Sentimore is thinking. Frankly, I'll be surprised if he is drafted.

Bray will have to remake himself to have success at the next level. He has basically gotten by at Tennessee on the strength of his right arm. When I think about all the qualities that are required to be a successful NFL quarterback, the only one Bray possesses is his arm strength. The other needed traits, leadership, character, poise, work ethic, mental approach, are all woefully lacking in Bray's total package.

Hunter and Patterson, I think we all agree, are the most likely of these four to have success as pros. I think there are a couple of things that both these guys have in common. Their raw athletic ability are their biggest assets. And like a lot of guys like that, they pretty much got by on their raw talent. Hunter had way too many drops this past season, indicating a lack of concentration and focus. Both Hunter and Patterson, primarily because they have such immense physical talent, are a little sloppy and lazy on their route running. They will have to improve on that at the NFL level.

Often times, players that are physically gifted coast a little in college, primarily getting by on their raw talent. That won't do in the NFL. But, once players move onto the next level, they understand that fact, and adjust accordingly, once they start getting paid. Some others don't get that, and as a result, they fail. Bray, Hunter and Patterson all have the chance to be successful. Bray has the most work to do. Hunter has everything to be a very good NFL receiver; he just needs to step up his focus. Patterson is simply in the infancy of what he can be. Tremendous raw talent that is just waiting to me molded by good coaches into a premier receiver.

My thoughts on the probabilities for success for these 4 guys: 1) Patterson; 2) Hunter; 3) Bray; 4) Sentimore.

Whatever their shortcomings have been, I thank each of these four young men for their contributions to UT and wish them healthy and successful careers in the NFL. God speed.

ronburgundywillreturn writes:

Good luck to all of them...but the way things have gone around here, I see them continuing the success they had here with the Jets.

keepitreal4vols writes:

in response to RoyaltyVol:

He won't hear his name on draft day and will be lucky to get an invite to be on practice squad. He must have been advised by the same people who advised Dennis Rogan.

tnvolfan98 writes:

in response to jsnewman:

You are being way to harsh. Personally I wish they would have all stayed...even Bray. Patterson would have gotten better at route running. Sentimore could have been a fixture on the defensive front. I just don't feel Bray is ready for the mental side of being in the NFL. Hunter is ready for the NFL. Say what you want...these guys are VOLS! Best of luck!

RoyaltyVol writes:

in response to keepitreal4vols:

I agree! Also I think Bray will go in first three rounds but he will have a Ainge type career IMO.

TNVOLNTX writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

This comment may be inappropriate. Reveal this comment.

Who at rocky flop DOES know how to win? Just sayin, 28 wins last 5 yrs......

Talk about a "winner"...an alabubba fan who spends much of his existence trolling an opposing team's fan site. Just sayin...

PhilthyPhil writes:

I bet Sentimore's grades are bad or maybe he's just too cool for school. Otherwise, I can't see leaving now and getting drafted in rounds 5-7 IF AT ALL.

PhilthyPhil writes:

By too cool for school, I mean that academically he may not want to put in the work/effort. (Which is a bad sign anyway.)

beartn#223846 writes:

I don't think Sentimore will get drafted, but I wish him the best. Bray would take a risk on his numbers with Hunter and Patterson leaving (and don't forget how reliable Zach Rogers was his Senior season). I think Hunter and Bray made the right choice.

41_14gbo writes:

in response to rtrchatt:

This comment may be inappropriate. Reveal this comment.

Who at rocky flop DOES know how to win? Just sayin, 28 wins last 5 yrs......

It has been rough.

I remember your time in purgatory, and hope Coach Jones can do better moving forward. First priority–become relevant in the East side, then pick a broader goal, if we achieve that goal, then a pick new, etc.

Razor784 writes:

Why did Sentimore go, don't you actually have to be good to go pro.

RockyTop1_old writes:

Moving on from here, I think DS made a mistake...too bad, he could have used another year...Looing for the next VFL!!

RockyTop1_old writes:

sorry LOOKING......

volswinsome writes:

Don't forget the Canadians need football players too and is arena football still around?

florida-volfan writes:

in response to Razor784:

Why did Sentimore go, don't you actually have to be good to go pro.

The same could be said for Bray...he never won a significant game in his UT career. And I don't consider Cincy and Vandy big wins. Hunter better put on some weight and muscle and actually do something after catching the ball instead of showing his cuunnt and avoiding hits. He does that in the NFL and he'll be benched in a hurry.

HooRay_Vol writes:

Sentimore would not be a good fit in the 4-3 next year. Smith and Magitt will be DE's and Couch and Mccullers will be the DT's.

VolGrad writes:

Sentimore leaving does not make any sense. Can't figure this one out at all.

Dude..., really?!

Snapshot writes:

in response to NashvillePreds:

Thanks for blessing us with your intelligence yet again...

"suggest removal" is the best way to respond to that a-- hole.

utclyde16 writes:

That's what happens when you get a money hungry agent advising people wrongly. Patterson is the only one that can come out and make it as an underclassman. The others could really have benefited from another year. Good luck to all and watch your money around these crooked agents.

PUL4VOLS writes:

So these guys are gone. No surprise with Bray, Hunter and Patterson. Sentimore, needed another year but he is not reading this site. The poster who said just give Patterson the ball and get out of the way, have you watched the NFL at all? Patterson is a phenomenal college football player but the NFL is another animal. He may become a quick returner but has a long way to go as a quality NFL receiver. Bray will have to get on the right team and be teachable, keep his attitude in check, learn and grow or yeah his career will never get off the ground. Hunter has work to do also. Sentimore, I find it hard to see his being drafted but some team will likely give him a shot. Best to them all. We'd love to have them back if they would sell out to the new system. But they chose othewise and so adios!

mrvol2u writes:

in response to agentorange:

I wish these guys the best of luck, all of them and thanks for coming to UT!

Holding a clipboard for about 8 to 10 years at about 450k is not a bad gig.

I wish I was talented enough for that job. I suspect you nor me will be able to predict his future. If he gets the right coach and mind set, I believe he will be a pretty darn good QB.

GO VOLS!!!

nocleats writes:

Sentimore, Phillpips and Taylor.... Although not alot of shown quality, Tennessee finds itsself in a depleted number of D Tackles again... This is like the 5th season in a row, and you can not win in the SEC with Freshman and Soph D Tackles. B Jones has no choice but to go after Juco Lineman (Tackles) to have a chance... The SEC is a DLINEMAN league and you have to have at least 6 tackles who can play (well) to make it through the season... RECRUIT some DTackles or be fired by 2015... Its really that simple.... Do you want to go face Oregons offense with 3 Dtackles on the roster? DTackles!!!!!!!!!

born2ride writes:

Patterson will be a star in the NFL.

Hunter will go early first round but is over-rated.

Bray may go late like the 5th round or so. He is going to be a flop if he plays the way he did here.

Sentimore should stay in school.

in response to keepitreal4vols:

Yeah, I agree. He really needed another year to show some consistency. He had better REALLY blow it out at the NFL combine. Even then, he will have to convince some people he is not a total flake. I can get behind a player who has a bit of personality, but one gets the impression that he is just not as grown up as his body and his age.

traderjoe writes:

Don't fret fellow Vol fans...Dooley stocked the cupboard and we have a bench full of 5 stars ready to show their stuff....don't we? I mean we gave the guy $5 million so I'm sure he must have been a heck of a recruiter. Can't wait to see the new studs play. Bama doesn't stand a chance next year.

CoverOrange writes:

in response to johnlg00:

He won't get invited to the combine. He will get a chance to show up for pro day at Neyland but it will be hard for him to overcome his one year body of work.

iowavol writes:

First and foremost, I'd like to thank these guys for being Volunteers and secondly, best of luck on draft day and even more luck in practice. No doubt all four will at least end up in summer camp. I don't know about most underclassmen going pro early, but it seems like they typically either issue a press release or have an interview thanking the fans they are leaving. Have we heard a peep out of Bray?

2Geezy writes:

Everybody log into your facebook and go vote for the VOLS, we are currently 3rd as I type this, lets finish 1st in something for a change. After you vote, share it.

Sunshine27 writes:

Folks, Sentimore has no where to go. He's not eligible academically. He's a low character person who cashed in his worthless chips. No way he gets drafted. He'll sign a free agent contract and get cut quickly. He was a non factor on a pitiful defense...he didn't do squat. Just being honest here. He received moronic advice....I suggest summer school and pray for a miracle.

tovolny writes:

4 big mistakes are being made. Paterson is the only guy I see going 1st round (late). Though he was grossly MIS-USED in UT's offensive schemes, he probably convinced several pro scouts that he has return skills and has potential to excel as a slot receiver catching short passes in the backfield. He may or may not be able to function as a main wide receiver. Unlike Julio Jones and A J Green, he does not have the savvy of running flexible routes needed for the pros. Paterson will be looked at as a project and it may take a couple of years for him to reach his potential. Baring an injury, I believe we will be hearing a lot about him as he moves up to Sunday Football. Another year playing in the SEC would be worth millions to him. But, a bird in the hand is still better than two in the bush.

I see Bray going 3rd round to a team with a mobile QB. The Panthers and the Redskins could use a drop back passer for 4th quarter, come-from-behind, efforts. I see him playing for only a few years as a backup. Bray just about mirrors Ainge as an un-serious QB. His glaring "lack of discipline" will jump up and bite him on the arm. Another year in the SEC would probably mean a successful pro career

Hunter just isn't ripened enough for pro scouts. You know, there is always that nice green apple, high in the tree, that just refuses to ripen, and finally turns out to be a disappointment. Hunter could use the conditioning and body development available at UT's new football facilities. I do wish him well and will be following his progressions.

I see Sentimore as an un-drafted free agent. He will be among the first players cut early in the pre-season. He needs to be on a serious weight and conditioning program to raise his center of gravity up from the hips toward the shoulders.

If Marvin Fox was to write a short story about these players choosing to go pro, it would be titled: EXCELLENCE LOST.

I rest my case...NEXT!

AncientVolFan writes:

I wonder if Kansas City will pick Bray up in the third round?

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

So much for any excitement in 2013.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

Prediction:
Tyler Bray will have a GREAT pro career.

He will be a "late" starter, like Fahrve or Aaron Rogers...and he'll mature.

Volunatic writes:

Best of luck to all of them in the next level.
I'm a bit surprised by Sentimore's decision-- he has shown potential as a college player but I haven't yet thought "He will be a big-time pro."

wayne.kearney#1414428 writes:

Bray will hold a clipboard. Hunter will see some time but i bet he will not go across the middle. Patterson will be alright,Sentimore will regret leaving needs one more year. They have all made their choice so all you can is ADIOS

CarlChilders writes:

The best QBs aren't necessarily the ones who put up the biggest numbers. They are the ones who take control down the stretch. I don't think UT has had that for awhile, unless you count a great come from behind win against Troy. TBs biggest fan was, well, TB. Nonetheless, good luck TB and try to put back all you can in savings and investments.