Cowboys hire Monte Kiffin to replace Rob Ryan

FILE -  In this Aug. 6, 2011, file photo,  Southern California assistant head coach Monte Kiffin, right, talks with cornerback Anthony Brown during NCAA college football practice in Los Angeles.  The Dallas Cowboys hired Kiffin as the replacement for Rob Ryan, the team announced on Friday, Jan. 11, 2012. Kiffin hasn't coached in the NFL since ending a 13-year run in Tampa in 2008. He spent the past few years coaching in college with his son, Lane Kiffin, at Tennessee and Southern California. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill, FIle)

FILE - In this Aug. 6, 2011, file photo, Southern California assistant head coach Monte Kiffin, right, talks with cornerback Anthony Brown during NCAA college football practice in Los Angeles. The Dallas Cowboys hired Kiffin as the replacement for Rob Ryan, the team announced on Friday, Jan. 11, 2012. Kiffin hasn't coached in the NFL since ending a 13-year run in Tampa in 2008. He spent the past few years coaching in college with his son, Lane Kiffin, at Tennessee and Southern California. (AP Photo/Mark J. Terrill, FIle)

IRVING, Texas (AP) — The Dallas Cowboys hired former Tampa Bay defensive coordinator Monte Kiffin as the replacement for Rob Ryan on Friday.

The move signals a switch back to the 4-3 alignment eight years after Bill Parcells implemented the 3-4.

Dallas coach Jason Garrett said he had two days of discussions with the 72-year-old Kiffin and came away believing the Cowboys have the personnel to make the switch work.

The most notable change will be Pro Bowl linebacker DeMarcus Ware becoming a defensive end, and Anthony Spencer could make the same move if the Cowboys re-sign him.

"Monte Kiffin's level of experience and track record of success as an NFL defensive coordinator are unmatched," Garrett said. "He has produced NFL defensive units that have consistently performed at a high level in a scheme that has stood the test of time."

Kiffin hasn't coached in the NFL since ending a 13-year run in Tampa in 2008. He spent the past four years coaching in college with his son, Lane Kiffin, at Tennessee and Southern California.

At Tampa, Kiffin's defenses frequently were among the league's best, and the Buccaneers won the Super Bowl with him after the 2002 season. That unit was the first in the league since the champion Chicago Bears in 1985 to lead the NFL in total defense, points allowed and interceptions.

"I came away from the interview process with Jason with a feeling that Dallas is the right place to be," Kiffin said. "They're close, and I am confident that there are quality pieces in place for us to be able to get the job done."

Ryan was fired Tuesday after two seasons. His defenses were inconsistent pressuring the quarterback and didn't force many turnovers. In 2011, the Cowboys allowed the second-most yards passing in franchise history.

This season's injury-filled unit couldn't stop New Orleans quarterback Drew Brees and rookie Washington running back Alfred Morris in season-ending losses that kept Dallas (8-8) out of the playoffs for the third straight year.

The Buccaneers finished in the top 10 in total defense 11 times in 13 years under Kiffin and had streaks of 69 straight games with a sack and 54 with at least one turnover during that stretch. Tampa had 31 interceptions when it won the Super Bowl, nine more than the Cowboys have the past two seasons combined.

Kiffin, who turns 73 next month, has 26 years of NFL experience with other stops in Green Bay, Buffalo, Minnesota, the New York Jets and New Orleans.

He coached 17 years in college before going to the NFL, including 11 seasons under Bob Devaney and Tom Osborne at Nebraska, his alma mater.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.

jhncpps1 writes:

Lane Kiffin is so bad that his old man doesn't even want to work with him anymore

FearTheVols1252 writes:

He goes from working for one slimeball to another... go figure.

TNVOLFN writes:

Interesting hire. Jerry Jones criticized Ryan for not producing turnovers. Monte's scheme is more "bend but don't break" than aggressive, hence one of the reasons Eric Berry had few INTs during his last year at UT.

SummittsCourt writes:

Who cares????

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

HAHAHAHA!! My wife's (Cowboys fan) reaction was priceless!! "They hired WHO????" Yeah, same POS that bolted from UT.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

I'm speechless, as an avid Cowboy fan this truly proves Jerry Jones is not thinking rationally. Has Jerry ever seen footage of USC trying to stop the spread option?? Or better yet UT trying to stop Dexter McCluster in 09'..Washington will have a field day against MK's defense, Jason Garrett is the bum, not Slob Ryan..

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

Who cares????

You cared enough to comment.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

More importantly, JG is the pawn that won't dare stand up to JJ. Sorry, but between my wife and her indoctrinating my 14 year old, I think this is kinda funny (hey, I'm a Dolphins fan...at least it hasn't been 30 years since the 'Boys went to a Super Bowl).

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it:

....although, I am the PROUD owner of a Jason Witten Cowboys jersey. JW is "the man"

keepitreal4vols writes:

Recycled trash

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

Wish him well..he earned his stripes in the NFL. Glad to see a 72 year old man still have this kind of respect instead of everyone looking for a young coach. Had only UT respected Fulmer and Chavis in the same manner you wouldn't be calling Kiffin bad names.

RockVegas writes:

CMK is going back to his comfort zone,I believe he is one of The best NFL DC's. The college game is hard to defend when The offenses are spread.He is not The only one that can't figure out these offenses look at ours this past year....LOL.Lane would have lost his job had his father stayed on,I like Monte he never wanted to leave Knoxville,plus we would be giving Bama a run for their money.Other than his age I think it's a great hire,plus the younger guys like him alot....GBO.

ETownVol writes:

in response to FearTheVols1252:

He goes from working for one slimeball to another... go figure.

Agreed! If it weren't for Jason Witten, the Cowboys would be my least favorite team. Just like they were ever since Jerrah Jones took ownership. I was very disappointed when Dallas drafted WItten but I pull for them in spite of their dumb @s$, wanna-be owner.

ProfessionalHandicapper writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

Just like Vandy blew it out your piehole!! I told you for two years UT would sink into the abyss and I was cussed. Now eat those words. You can cuss and call me names but I was 100% right about Dooley. I told you UT would lose to Kentucky and Vandy and they did. This coaching staff could be worse,especially in recruiting.

imw8n4u writes:

Has this guy never heard of retirement?!?! Or maybe he realizes pretty soon he'll be supporting that son of his and his family, so better keep working.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it:

I'm a lifetime Dolphin fan too, I grew up hating the Cowboys. I was a little too young in the 70's to realize what a class act Tom Landry was. The Kraft family in New England should be the model for NFL owners. Jerry Jones could learn alot from them. I suspect Monte left to buy jr. a little more time at usc.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

Must be a Cowboy fan on staff.

arkyvol writes:

monte's gonna be the first active coach to be wished happy birthday by willard scott.

golfman1975 writes:

wgas

MikeNPS writes:

By hiring Monte Kiffin, the Cowboys are now doomed to mediocrity. The only coach who would have been an even worse hire would have been Lane Kiffin. This hire leads me to conclude that Jerry Jones is an even bigger moron than I previously thought.

rb4346 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

This almost makes me want to cheer for another NFL team. I know Jerry Jones is the owner but he needs to be checked for dementia. I wonder if he or Garrett watched USC this year, they couldn't stop anyone. I am beginning to wonder if Ryan was the problem. Jerry get ready because players like Robert Griffin will eat you for lunch. Monte Kiffin! Unbelieveable.

allvol8 writes:

in response to MikeNPS:

Wish Staubach could be the owner....the only yes JJ deserves is to "yes you are an idiot Jerry."

6972 writes:

in response to jhncpps1:

You my friend have wisdom beyond your years.

BigOrangeSports writes:

in response to imw8n4u:

No worries. Monte will hire Lane as his asst next year, after USCal drops him.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to rb4346:

I'm not about to switch teams, but it makes it a lot easier to pull for Denver these days.

cloudodust writes:

The tell-tale signs the Mayans spoke of are coming to pass. Now, if Layla leaves him for Jimmy Kimmel, I'll head to Mayanville and pray to their calendar...btw, have a nice trip to Texas Monte but watch out for the tumbleweeds. They'll knock the legs right out from under of you...

fearthehound writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

Ha! Layla Kiffin gets within 10 feet of you, and you're changing your drawers. She's pretty hot.

voljohn22 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

agree with you totally, Chavis should have been retained,and now be UT HC.

ashvol7 writes:

in response to ProfessionalHandicapper:

Had Fulmer respected his job and not gotten lazy we wouldn't be in this situation now! Also the chief took his defense to LSU, did you see what happened against Ala. and Clemson.

TommyJack writes:

won't make any difference til jerry jones fires jerry jones.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to TommyJack:

won't make any difference til jerry jones fires jerry jones.

Yep, unfortunately JJjr awaits to take over when this buffoon finally bites the dust..These crackpot owners like Bud Adams, Daniel Snyder and Jerry Jones can't leave well enough alone.

Noogaorange writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

For Layla ..... you can use my pole.

GBO VFL17

Fall_Creek_Vols writes:

I didn't really need another reason to hate the Cowboys, but I'll take it.

Jason Witten would look good in a Broncos uniform.

brokendownoldvol writes:

in response to ashvol7:

Yep it was like watching the old TN play. Always third and long and always a first down, especially at the most critical times in the game. Glad LSU has to under achieve with all of that talent ever yr. like TN used to.

arkyvol writes:

in response to brokendownoldvol:

ah yes, third and chavis (8+ yards and better than even they'll make it). good times!

Pipe_Down_Otis writes:

If I make it to 72, I'm not working....anywhere. His wife has sacrificed her entire life while he got to live his dreams. It's her turn, Kiffen.

PUL4VOLS writes:

A no Story for Rocky Top...

SavTnVol writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

NOT EVEN LAYLA??? ARE YOU CRAZY, BLIND OR AN EUNUCH?

John_10065 writes:

Kiffin's defensive scheme requires a talented athlete in every position to be effective. That's what the NFL has that college can't offer.

He'll do OK. I don't have anything against Monte. Lane on the other hand is a snake.