Tennessee running back Quenshaun Watson away from team due to personal issues; return is uncertain

Tennessee tailback Quenshaun Watson (25) runs the ball between Mississippi State defenders in the second half at Davis Wade Stadium in Starkville, Miss., Saturday, Oct. 13, 2012. (ADAM BRIMER/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Adam Brimer, Knoxville News Sentinel

Tennessee running back Quenshaun Watson, who played sparingly as a true freshman in 2012, has left the team and returned home as he deals with personal and family issues.

Leroy Ryals, who coached Watson at Clarke Central High School in Athens, Ga., said his former player is "dealing with some things with his family right now."

Watson could still return to the Vols, although classes started on Wednesday and every day that he misses makes his return more challenging.

"I don't know what the outcome is going to be," Ryals said. "We're communicating now to try to work things out."

Ryals said he had not yet spoken to new Tennessee coach Butch Jones about the matter.

Watson has tweeted regularly in the last several days, but has not addressed his status with the team or replied to fans questioning him about his future. Sophomore offensive lineman Alan Posey, who played high school football with Watson, tweeted late Friday: "Guess I'm the lone Gladiator on Rocky Top now." Clarke Central's nickname is the Gladiators.

A 5-foot-9, 175-pound tailback, Watson was praised by coaches for his performance in camp last August, but he got few carries as the fourth-string running back behind Rajion Neal, Marlin Lane and Devrin Young. Watson played in six games, but was rarely heard from in the second half of the season.

Tennessee has two other scholarship running backs on the roster. Alden Hill redshirted as a true freshman in 2012. Tom Smith, entering his third year with the program, played in three games in 2011 but spent 2012 on the scout team. Tennessee currently has no commitments from running backs in the 2013 signing class.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Ironcity writes:

Won't be the last to leave. We actually need 2 more to drop if we plan to bring in 27 players. Really their are way to many players on this roster that just are not SEC players. My preference is we bring in 23-24 in set ourselves up for a big class next year. year.

Pompey writes:

....looks as though things may get worse be for they get better....poor ole Tennessee...!

BruisedOrange writes:

No need for fans to get worried and make a big deal out of this.

This kind of thing happens all the time to players on other teams

...that aren't SNAKEBIT LIKE US!!!

dvols writes:

175 lb running backs will not bring TN back...

BruisedOrange writes:

Sorry. I'm okay now.

VolFanHoping writes:

in response to Pompey:

before

Voltman writes:

What a shame mr Q was showing some real speed bursts last season. But im curious does snyone hear what happened to Tom Smith? Is he not on scholarship anymore?

Ironcity writes:

in response to Voltman:

I hope not unless he can play LB or Safety

cyclonevol87 writes:

OMG what are we going to do without our fourth string RB.

Vols4life77 writes:

I thought he looked pretty good. Believe he ran a 4.3 too. More upside than young IMO. Don't think it is crucial but this kid had potential to be really good.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

This kid ran hard when had the opportunity to carry the pigskin..I hope he gets things in order and returns, he would be a huge weapon on screen plays..

tennezz writes:

in response to Pompey:

Be for you post you to learn how to spell!

keepitreal4vols writes:

The sky is falling, the sky is falling....

GloryDays writes:

I hope that he works his personal problems out. It is really difficult for a 5-8, 175 running back to contribute in the SEC. Dooley had some strange fascination with these tiny backs, unless they have lightning speed, they serve little to no use.

RashaadSalabeb writes:

I hope he gets everything straightened out. We need to sign a tackle breaking runningback this year.

Go Vols!

Supersayin1 writes:

in response to dvols:

175 lb running backs will not bring TN back...

Thank God someone else realizes this!! I'm so sick of these tiny RB's that we continue to go after!! We do not need anymore RB's under 215lbs!!

oldster writes:

in response to Pompey:

Remember what Johnny Majors said when he first got back about needed to hit rock bottom before starting the climb back? Well, UT is pretty darn close to the bottom. In fact, the entire men's side of the athletic department is in about as bad a shape as I can recall. I have been a fan since 1957. So....

oldster writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

How big was that Oregon back that our 230 lb, now all pro - lb bounced off the back of a few years ago on his 70 yard td run? It was somewhat south of 215.

silicon28 writes:

in response to tennezz:

Be for you post you to learn how to spell!

LOL... Someone is criticizing spelling with THIS kind of 2nd grade grammar? Wow... just wow...

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to silicon28:

2nd grade? My Father would have blistered my arse for that poor of a sentence structure in the 2nd grade..This guy is either purposely writing like a dimwit or he's still in kindergarten.

daxx777#650855 writes:

Definition of irony. Someone makes fun of another's lack of grammar, then two others make fun of him.

VolzsFan writes:

in response to Ironcity:

learn the rules. regardless of how many you have, you can only sign 25 per year. FANS....idiots!

Scoon writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Crack me up!! Hey ColdNose, tell us something. How is it that one can get his arse blistered by his own father through all that Arctic wool of yours?!? Huh??

volinlm writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

Apparently, not if you're Nick Saban. You sign 27 and then say, after the fact, that two were leaving the program (even though they didn't know it at the time).

2Geezy writes:

bring in Derrick Green.

licknpromise777#651578 writes:

in response to Supersayin1:

I would be happy with any back rated higher than no# 45 at that position..So far Jay Graham's RB recruiting has been a total joke considering any reasonable highly rated back would be a starter from the first snap

TheRealDragonSlayer writes:

I personally thought that Q Watson brought a McFadden style of running when he got the chance...he looked much more powerful than his weight suggests, and his quickness was quite apparent. If he does come back, I think he will develop into one of our most potent weapons...especially in a Butch Jones no-huddle offense.

Wishing him well, and hoping to get him back in orange.

Millisa writes:

Hope to see Watson back soon We Need YOU

bigvol980#528379 writes:

Good luck Q. Hope all the issues work out to your good. Love to see you back.

fratricide08 writes:

Hope Watson stays but more than that I hope whatever is going on works out for the best. Quenshaun was/is an explosive player with a lot of talent and could surprise a lot of people as he develops despite his size.

WHen writes:

There are ways of bending the 25 signee limit. Early enrolees can be backcounted on previous years class if there is room. I think Ironcity knows what he is talking about.

Ironcity writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

If a player comes in early he can be counted to the previous class (as long as that class had less then 25 players)the important number is 85. Thats the number of players you can have on the team under scholarship

JonGrudensAgent writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

They only signed 22 last year and can back count three of the early enrollees.

I'll do the math for you as well since you probably don't have a handle on that either.

25+3=28

They can sign up to 28 this year.

I won't charge you the 9.95/month this lesson would cost you from 24/7 sports though. Consider it my gift to you.

I am with Ironcity, I hope they only sign 23-25 unless they can land some big time JUCO's at positions of need.

Voltman writes:

in response to JonGrudensAgent:

They only signed 22 last year and can back count three of the early enrollees.

25+3=28

They can sign up to 28 this year.

Agree mostly. But with Omari Phillips signing late that actually made last years recruiting class 23. (Not 22)

edee writes:

No running backs recruited?????????????????? Guess that's a B. Jones stratery...Maybe they will all come from O-HI-O

Shake_Bake writes:

in response to 2Geezy:

bring in Derrick Green.

Amen to that!! I believe we are on his short list, along with a few other schools. It would be great if CBJ could land him! Green reminds me of Jamal Lewis. Big, strong, and good speed.

AncientVolFan writes:

in response to oldster:

Oldster, I've been a fan since 1951. Perhaps during the McDonald era it was this bad. But I agree, this is about as low as I've seen the program.
I don't know the future, but I suspect Jones first two years will be rough. I hope year three pans out for him.
I do remember that I thought the firing of Fulmer was done in a way that would hurt the program a long time. And this is beyond Fulmer himself. Majors firing was nearly the same except we had another Tennessee guy ready to take over. Not so in Fulmer's case.

tennezz writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Sarcasm to a troll you dimwit!