Kentucky pulls away from Vols, 75-65

LEXINGTON, Ky. — Leading a charge of cheers in a catacomb under the Rupp Arena stands Tuesday night, Jordan McRae clamored to take the floor.

As the circle of Tennessee basketball players broke loose, McRae hopped and bopped toward the light.

“Ohh, we need this one, boys, we need this one,” the junior pleaded.

The Vols needed it, but so did defending national champion Kentucky.

And a pair of reserves grabbed the game for the Wildcats.

It wasn’t Nerlens Noel. It wasn’t Archie Goodwin. It wasn’t Willie Cauley-Stein.

In the closing five minutes, two huge 3-pointers by Julius Mays and back-to-back contested shots by Kyle Wiltjer pushed Kentucky past Tennessee, 75-65, on rainy, sleety, chilly Tuesday night in Lexington.

All those future NBA players on the Kentucky roster? They cheered for Mays and Wiltjer along with the 24,033 at Rupp, where the Vols fell to 4-34 all-time.

“We just really didn’t want to fall to 0-3 (in the SEC) and then have to claw and dig our way out of this,” said McRae, after doing all his could as UT’s lone double-digit scorer with a game-high 23 points.

But now Tennessee (8-7) is indeed 0-3 in conference and floundering on a four-game losing streak.

After trailing 34-31 at halftime, the Vols took their only lead of the second half, 54-53, on a 3-pointer from the wing by Derek Reese with 7 minutes, 19 seconds left. They couldn’t close.

“We can get back in the game, but we have to start not putting ourselves in those spots over and over,” McRae said.

With Kentucky (11-5, 2-1) leading 58-56 at the 5:08 mark, Mays sandwiched a pair of McRae free throws with two cold-blooded 3s.

As the Vols tried to counter, Wiltjer hit a turn-around hook and a runner from the wing.

UT would get no closer than six the rest of the way. Kentucky hit 13 of 20 shots after halftime.

“Our guys put ourselves in position, but just didn’t capitalize,” said Tennessee coach Cuonzo Martin.

Wiltjer’s 17 points led four double-digit scorers from Kentucky (11-5, 2-1). Noel crammed his stat line with 12 points, nine rebounds, six blocks and four steals.

Six different Vols opened the scoring for UT before McRae canned three straight to give UT a 19-17 lead early, but Kentucky surged with an 8-0 run. The Wildcats enjoyed a 7-11 to 0-0 advantage from the free-throw line in the half.

“We definitely thought we were getting fouled, but in the second half I thought we did a good job of putting our heads down and forcing the refs to make calls,” said McRae, who made six of eight from the stripe as UT shot 11-for-17 from the line after halftime.

Battling self-induced foul trouble, UT forward Jarnell Stokes played only five second-half minutes. Nearly one year after saying, “I plan on winning, before I leave, at Rupp Arena,” Stokes scored four points and grabbed five rebounds over 15 minutes in the loss.

Standing two hours later in the same tunnel where McRae proclaimed UT’s need for a win, Martin said the Vols aren’t ready to play with desperation.

“I think we’re fine,” the coach, before racing out of Rupp to catch the last flight leaving Lexington before ice shut down the airport. “As long as we play like we’re playing now, it’s a matter of getting home, getting over that hump.”

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men’s basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

secondcreek writes:

Missing Bruce Pearl more every year...

VOLSnTITANS writes:

Golden has gotten so bad it’s absolutely mind-blowing.

Stokes is a non-factor…I would take Wiltjer any day of the week.

Just when you thought Richardson couldn’t do anything more embarrassing than missing a breakaway dunk against Memphis, he attempts to shoot pressure free throws with the game on the line.

Imagine this team without McRae…yikes.

Let the moral victory / I’m not a vols fan / the sky is falling rebuttal begin.

k.hardeman1#1413041 writes:

just view my comments on the article STOKES AND OTHE VOLS LOOKING FOR BALANCE. THAT'S ALL YOU NEE TO KNOW!(#63) SORRY DONT FEEL LKE WRITING THAT S@#T AGAIN ON THIS ONE! GOT BRUCE!!!

Govols1995 writes:

Tennessee athletics as a WHOLE is a JOKE!!! sick of the losing and sick of the players attitudes. The football team sucks, and now the basketball team does. How much more can us fans take? Our football team might not even recover! this Sh*t is getting OLD!!!!

tomkats3242 writes:

Enough, This team sucks. I have seen better high school teams. The team lacks leadership, they look like hoods and the so called stars need to be sitting on the bench. The only problem there are NO quality players on the bench or on the floor. Hart needs to get off his can and find someone that can recruit good players, team players and someone that can do more than teach defense, if you call this defense. We just hired someone to fix football and now we need to redo the basketball team and coach. Whats next, baseball?

rockypop writes:

I stand by my post of yesterday:

"Kentucky can be had. When was the last time they had to "get up" for Tennessee? Couple that with the fact that Tennessee is overdue for a breakout game. And, if they can't get pumped for UK, then they really are what everybody on this site says they are. I look for an unexpected close game - maybe not a win, but uncomfortably close for Kentucky, because right now,
UK is playing at Alabama's level."

If Golden can return to form and Stokes can learn to pass it back out when he's double-teamed down low, then UT has a chance to get it together and challenge for a spot in the Tournament.

k.hardeman1#1413041 writes:

IF THIS KEEPS UP AFTER NEXT YEAR MARTIN IS GONE! HOPE TENNESSEE MAKES A GOOD HIRE.

wigmeister writes:

Sloppy ball handling, couple of questionable calls and non-calls. Why doesn't Stokes realize that if he has 3 on him, someone has to be open. They played better than they have, but with some decent play, they could have won this game. Kentucky is not the power they were. This group of freshman cannot compare to last year. Let an opportunity get away from us.

8inarow writes:

It pains me so to see Vols fans going after each other like this.

shipperman#280095 writes:

in response to Govols1995:

And then our AD goes and hires one of the few Football coaches Dooley even beat

Ironcity writes:

For 30 minutes the refs kept UK in the game. The final 10 minutes UT laid down and UKs superior talent came to the front. Golden is clearly not right. Why doesn't coach just admit it. The kid can't even make a lay up. Like football I now expect us to find ways to lose.I like the guys individually but as team its bad. When are the coaches going to teach Stokes to use his size. Who was instructed to tell him shooting fad aways against two 7fters is not a good idea. Its nice to see Mcrae playing the way he has but at this point he is just Cuonzo's Tony White. A great scorer on a bad team. I would be stunned if we make it to 500. This is a really bad league but UT is a really bad team.

ssgdebity writes:

This team is an embarressment. Especially Josh Richardson. Coach needs to sit him down for the rest of the season as there is absolutely no excuse for missing everything on the Flagrant and 1 freethrows. WHAT IN THE WORLD WAS HE THINKING????

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

Wow. That was a pathetic finish as usual. Maybe they could line up a few local high school games to build up their confidence. Without McRae this team is a total bust. Worst SEC start in 15 years. Condrats Coach Zo. You taken us straight to the bottom.
.....

volaholic45 writes:

Golden is a difference maker - the more he plays the worse our chances for winning. He is a turnover machine, can't cover, takes bad shots, and otherwise makes very bad decisions. He is not only a game-killer, he may even be a coach-killer. If Coach Zo can't see Golden's consistently negative impact on his team's play, then maybe he won't make it here.

All in all, another episode in a LOOOONG series of Vol underachievement, missed opportunities, and coming up small in the big moment. They should be paying us to come support their products on the field and court, but they don't.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

Wow, our teams have a knack for making so-so teams look like world-beaters. If there's any consolation to this, that idiot Scoon will come on here talking s**t, truly believing his team has "turned the corner", only to have his hopes dashed come selection time. Kinda like FU's fb win in Knoxville this year. Man, that sugar bowl was o so satisfying!

lomas98 writes:

in response to ssgdebity:

2 weeks ago Richardson was the most improved player on the team. Now folks want him to sit the rest of season. Yea, that's a good idea. Good grief.

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to 8inarow:

It pains me so to see Vols fans going after each other like this.

Please change your screen name... No one here's interested in how many failed marriages your Mom's had.

TDTN writes:

I am a die hard Vol fan but gee whiz! Men's sports are painful to watch to these days. Dont call me a fairweather fan, I have attended about 65 football games over the last 8 years, driving over 400 miles roundtrip and will do it again this fall. I rarely miss a B Ball game on TV or radio. This is absurd! Our mens sports play like they belong in the OVC. We have a huge uphill battle to pull out of this one. I like what I hear from football recruiting but I am tired of effort, show me some RESULTS! Please somebody, football, basket ball, something! I bleed orange and the past few years have spent more time shedding orange tears than blood. Conzo, Butch, is anyone listening?

lomas98 writes:

When will it be time for a players only meeting to "get everyone right and ready to step up". We never win at rupp. I said last week after we lose, some will be ready to jump off a bridge and call for the coaches head. Glad McRae seems to be turning the corner and being someone to rely on. Need a consistent option B to help him. Will someone do it? Stokes, i am really hoping its you. Sec is down and after ole miss next week, schedule turns favorable.

underthehill writes:

in response to 8inarow:

It pains me so to see Vols fans going after each other like this.

Not me..just a bunch of nuts who have no idea they saw a great effort by a Vol team not expected to be competitive at Rupp..I have never seen more home cooking..Pearl would have got at least one TK..Cal called the foul on McBee and said as much on camera..the refs did not make the call..they went to the replay after it was called by Cal..on one UT drive a Ky defender grabbed his arm and took him to the floor..no foul was called..ESPN showed a replay of Noels offensive foul on Yemi that was a no call..ESPN commentator made it clear there should have been a foul on Noels and no basket..the refs got Stokes out on a couple of touch fouls..you expect it to be bad at Rupp..just not this bad..I liked the way Moore and Yemi got after it..Golden missed 2 layups and made numerous stupid plays yet UT still had a chance to win..I saw a lot of positives from the young guys and McRae..I hope Martin gets the young guys on the floor more and I don't have to watch this junk from Golden...now I feel better..and I am proud of the effort the Vols gave tonight..especially..Yemi..he's the man...

DebKY writes:

Certainly was a one sided called game, especially in the first half. Why does Martin not challenge the referees as all other coaches do during the game?
For once, I would like to see Martin run the baseline, or even get a technical!
This was a great opportunity for Tennessee to have won in Rupp. Unfortunately, poor coaching results in poor performance.
Well, let's hope that Hart is looking for a new basketball coach for next year.
It was great to see Kentucky's best, Chris Lofton behind the UT's bench!
Go BIG ORANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

Whew. The frustration is all over the place from our fans. First off, I may be alone, but felt the team played hard.

Having said that, unfortunately certain things contributed to the defeat. First, note the first half.........Vols never got to the line????????? Hmmm. Golden? Poor guy has turned into a turnover machine, plus missing free throws, and.......blowing a sure layup.

Kentucky shooting 3's? Once 4 or 5 in a row started falling, it seemed we might have recognized who the culprits were and stayed in their shadows every time the ball went to the perimeter.

Enough said........except this. I do understand how the Cats make so many trips to the free throw line. Biggest travesty the whole night was when big Mac was flattened and the Cat was allowed to finish the play for a basket.

Anyway, if someone will find a way to shoot a free throw..........and if Kentucky doesn't bring the same 8 with them, we should handle them in K town.

k.hardeman1#1413041 writes:

in response to ssgdebity:

richardson just had a bad game. He and yemi are the most improved, and josh is one of our better all around players

usnavyvolfan__times_free_press_can_shove_it writes:

in response to lomas98:

I don't know about "calling for the coach's head", but I certainly think if things don't improve next season, his contract shouldn't be renewed. CCM tries hard, but it looks like he might be in over his head coaching in a big conference. I'd love to be proven wrong.

TheEffect writes:

I only got to see the second half, and my impressions were:

1) The officiating (in the 2nd half that I saw) was horrible both ways.

2) Kentucky's free throw shooting is really bad.

3) I am impressed with McRae....the Vols best player IMO.

4) Nerlen's Noel is a stud. Love his motor.

Tennessee to the NIT. The Cats in the dance by the skin of their teeth.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say this boils back to Golden..not blaming but this team(No matter who else steps up)goes as he does. Witch Doctor say help coming next season with Hubbs but without Golden driving and dishing or creating the D just sits down on Stokes. Witch Doctor those calling for him to be fired this year just looks stupid or trolling. Witch Doctor say is Golden in love or something? Witch Doctor say he is much much better than this.
Bones never lie.

TBone5 writes:

Ok first of all guys let me start out by saying this is gonna be a lengthy few sentences or paragraphs so lets go. First of all I know you guys like picking on every player except the obvious one. TRAE GOLDEN is the WORST point guard EVER! I played point guard in High School and even in college, it was junior college but still. A point guard is supposed to be a leader and run the offense and not be the offense or try to be, sure you will have a few good looks but your a passer and a ball handler not a shooter. If he wants to be a shooter he needs to be asked to be moved to the 2 or 3 posistion. Second, Cuonzo Martin you ARE NOT at S.W. Missouri state or wherever the hell you came from. This is the SEC where the BIG BOYS PLAY! Your point guard is AWFUL period! You need to be more aggressive with the sorry as* referees that call basketball now a days because let me tell you, if Bruce Pearl was coaching Tennessee they BLOWOUT Kentucky TONIGHT! Now let me throw a stat out at you guys and gals who may be reading this. UT had 7 turnovers in 15:33 into the game, guess who had all of them........TRAE GOLDEN! Now let me say that I do think UT has a good team, but Golden needs to sit on the bench for a couple of games and let others like Derek Reese and Josh Richardson play more because the team almost looks and seems down when Golden is in the game. Now the officiating tonight was terrible. I have played the game, coached it, and even refereed it. And there is NO WAY ANY TEAM can go almost 7 minutes in each half without committing a foul. I am done now and thank you all for your time. I know there will be some morons who have never played a fundamental sport in their life critique me and that is fine. But all you people who have played team sports KNOW i am hitting it dead on the head of the nail! Good evening.

hikerdude writes:

BBB

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

*fired as in Martin..I know most understand but when you read..we do have some really dumb fans. lol
Bones never lie.

graphpro#231211 writes:

Its amazing how much money coach Martin and Dooley have made for how bad their teams have performed.

What I've learned from watching coaches at the University of Tennessee. It's better to be a good salesman than a performer. Performance takes a distant second place to great salesmanship.

And that my friends is how to make money. SAD!!

traderjoe writes:

Someone send this post to CJ...

Redlands (Calif.) East Valley High School and USC coach Lane Kiffin are at odds thanks to a deferred scholarship.

Defensive end Kylie Fitts, a four-star recruit Rivals ranked seventh nationally at his position, was committed to USC and took extra high school classes so he could graduate early and enroll at the university in January.

Fitts talked to a couple USC coaches at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl on Jan. 5 and they said they were ready to have him on campus. But the following Monday, he received a call saying his scholarship was no longer available for the spring semester.

Fitts was supposed to be on campus on Jan. 10.

The Trojans didn't pull his scholarship entirely, but deferred him to the fall because they didn't have a scholarship freed up from a graduating senior like they thought they would. However, since Fitts had already graduated high school, he had nowhere to go and didn't want to wait.

“Recruiting man, it’s crazy,” Redlands East Valley coach Kurt Bruich told the Riverside Press-Enterprise. “He’s wanted to go to USC for as long as he can remember and now he feels betrayed. He did everything he was supposed to do from his end and he was a loyal kid. I think they thought because of that loyalty he’d still want to go there. He said to me ‘What am I supposed to do for the next five months?’ It seems shady. I think it seems shady to everyone.”

Consequently, Fitts, who was recruited and offered by several major programs around the country, has decommitted from the Trojans and opened up his recruiting.

OldGolfer writes:

in response to underthehill:

Ref Green & UK on floor at same time bad for other SEC teams

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to OldGolfer:

Ref Green & UK on floor at same time bad for other SEC teams

Witch Doctor not a ref hater but GOSH he is horrible. Witch Doctor say he is the most inconsistent ref in the SEC..Witch Doctor not passing blame but this was one of the worst called games Ive seen in a while. One time its a foul..next time its not. Witch Doctor say SEC needs to fix this..for the SEC.
Bones never lie.

VolMoment writes:

in response to shipperman#280095:

And then our AD goes and hires one of the few Football coaches Dooley even beat

You guys are a joke and the most stupid fans I have ever encountered. Butch Jones is highly respected and hasn't coached a down at UT. Saban"s record at Mich State was really sub-par yet LSU hired him. So what does Dooley's one game with those two schools involed have to do with our football status. You are so stupid you are either Alabama "steroid" fans or "crawler"gator fan

vol75 writes:

This team probably needs to employ a psychiatrist. I have never seen so many "lost looks" in the eyes of players. They seem to play with the weight of the world on their shoulders. Trying to think too much instead of just playing. It seems like it is time to put the best five on the floor and just let them play. Too much looking over their shoulders wondering if they are coming out. They never develop any rythym. We can't lose sight of the fact that they play hard. Basketball is a funny game of streeks. Maybe a good one is coming.

TheEffect writes:

in response to underthehill:

The no call when Noel was shoved in the back under the basket.

The no call when Mays was fouled...then they called a flagrant on him!! Seriously!!! Richardson then proved it when he missed both free throws....the ball don't lie.

It was bad officiating all around period.

8inarow writes:

in response to traderjoe:

Someone send this post to CJ...

Fitts was supposed to be on campus on Jan. 10.

I sure miss lil-Lane. He was such an inspiration to Vols fans everywhere. He was a master at creating Moral Victories, no matter the loss or the spread, when Vols fans turned out the lights on Saturday nights, they saw a winner.

dbc5361 writes:

Don't look now, Vandy beating up Ole Miss.

ClearVol writes:

Wow, sloppy, playground mistakes.... again... ridiculous...

Fortunately, TN/Ark "98 football game is on to keep me occupied.. and better ending..

movol53 writes:

Yes I hate losing. And I've been a VOL FAN before many of you were born. Coach Zo has been in Tenn 14 months has had one recruiting class and some of you are calling for his head. How did a one year coach work out in football? And then a three year coach in football people gotta have patience. I know immediate gratification is NOT quick enough for some of you. Look at the injuries this team has. Golden - shoulder; McBee - elbow (on his shooting arm), and big man out of the season with knee recovery. NOT making excuses this is the way it is and we do not have a deep bench. GO VOLS!!!!

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

The referees suck!!!

golfman1975 writes:

If I remember right, UK only had 5 fouls with 15 or less minutes to go in the game...KY had some punks in there...they will be had more than a few times this year especially if we came that close there.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

Oh, come ON guys....the reffing was totally fair:
UT, 30 fouls
UI, 30 fouls
Rupp Arena, UK (-10) fouls.

Hell, I can remember Chris Lofton, our jump shooter, getting in foul trouble there.

ClearVol writes:

in response to movol53:

Not calling for anyones head, however, the same old unecessary turnovers and playground type play seem "fixable".. get it done "zo"..

VOLtage writes:

Armani Moore, G
Jordan McRae, G
Derek Reese, G
Jarnell Stokes, F
Kenny Hall, F

Basketvol writes:

in response to ClearVol:

Wow, sloppy, playground mistakes.... again... ridiculous...

Thanks for the tip.

8inarow writes:

in response to dbc5361:

Don't look now, Vandy beating up Ole Miss.

Not anymore.

redskinvol1 writes:

I had to work tonight and had to listen to Bob.Thank god for Bert because Bob likes the other teams more than he likes the Vols.He gets so excited when the other teams do well.Anyway,the team played the best half of the year and was still down by three at half time.free throws and turn overs (Golden) are killing this team.Great hustle and heart because they have not given up,but this team falls apart with five minutes to go.Losing to Ole Miss at home makes this loss look worse.I didn't think a win was coming today but 0 and 3 in the sec is not acceptable.Coach martin really needs to show something next season or he will most likely be gone.I miss Bruce!!

golfman1975 writes:

in response to underthehill:

Well stated!

volaholic45 writes:

The '98 Tennessee-Arkansas football game is on SportsSouth. We're down 21-3 now, but things are looking up. It was great to be a Tennessee Vol back late in the last century.