Cierra Burdick was injured doing drills with Bobby Maze

(Saul Young/News Sentinel)

Photo by Saul Young, copyright © 2011

Tennessee Lady Vols basketball freshman Cierra Burdick is pictured at Pratt Pavilion on Tuesday, September 6, 2011. (Saul Young/News Sentinel)

Since she can't be a player, Tennessee's Cierra Burdick is trying to be a good patient while she recovers from a fractured right hand.

"I'm taking vitamins," the sophomore forward said Tuesday. "I'm drinking milk, even though I don't like it. I'm drinking chocolate milk."

A check-up last Friday has Burdick on pace to return in early February. She's been out since suffering the injury on New Year's Eve. Burdick said that she was doing one-on-one defensive drills with former UT men's player Bobby Maze and got her ring and pinkie fingers caught in Maze's shirt as he was making a move. She suffered a fracture of the fourth metacarpal.

"It wasn't the smartest thing," she said. "I can't have body-on-body contact workouts, especially when it's not with my team. I was trying to get better but I do have to be smart and efficient with it."

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

There is no way anyone should find fault with someone who is trying to get better. Imagine how good the Lady Vols could get if every member on the team put in the extra work that Cierra does.

wigmeister writes:

Get better Ciera. We need ya and love ya!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Just sounds like bad luck to me. It could have happened anywhere anytime. Keep working out. It's ok. Just keep your hands off the defense. It's a foul you know.

Get well fast.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

Wait, what??

"it wasn't the smartest thing"??

Heck, you were creatively working on your game. Trust me: my daughter is a player, and s##t happens to her constantly whether in "organized" drills of not.

Modern women's collegiate basketball is a rough go.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

Personally, I think I might like where Holy takes this program.

Down deep, as much as she loves Pat, she wants HER stamp on here, maybe for about 5-6 years or so.

Ultimately, I think the hope/dream is to then hand the reins to Tyler Summitt, if he pans out as a coach.

easleychuck writes:

The not being smart of this is doing any type of drill with a ring on your hand. My brother nearly tore off a finger dunking with a ring.

Just have to make better decisions.

underthehill writes:

in response to easleychuck:

Just have to make better decisions.

I thought the same and read that part again..I don't think it means she had a ring on..

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to underthehill:

it was her ring finger, not a ring. The wording in the article might make someone at first think it was a ring

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

@easley
At first I read "with a thug" and was thinking, "that's a bit rough on Bobby"

Nah, I don't think she had a ring on. I bet, though, Maze had one of those ripped-up shirts guys like to wear in the gym.

emailnodata (Inactive) writes:

in response to underthehill:

Underthehill
-a hobbitt
-a zombie
-a hobbit zombie??

easleychuck writes:

in response to emailnodata:

@easley
At first I read "with a thug" and was thinking, "that's a bit rough on Bobby"

My bad, a ring and playing basketball are a real bad idea.

62vol writes:

in response to easleychuck:

Just have to make better decisions.

The article did not mention a ring. The two fingers caught in the shirt were the ring and index fingers.

Jediphysics writes:

in response to emailnodata:

@easley
At first I read "with a thug" and was thinking, "that's a bit rough on Bobby"

I know B Maze is tatted from head to toe, but the whole 'thug' label on him baffles me. Four ballers caught on New Year's eve with pot and weapons... none of whom were Bobby Maze. He doesn't get the love and respect he has earned, in my opinion.

lstbodeanvol writes:

Keep working Cierra we need you back soon...my best also to Bobby Maze..GO LADY VOLS AND VFL'S

voloffaith writes:

in response to THECATTLEMAN_IN_CHARGE:

Yes, we all have DONE dumb thangs....playing with a cattle prod wasn't the smartest thing...leave it to you to go where "no man has gone b4". (apparently.....)should we call ewe rowdy yeates/yates?

volsgirl writes:

Nothing wrong with try to get better at the games you love, Cierra get well soon need you when NCAA coming up.

martinvol34 writes:

in response to easleychuck:

Just have to make better decisions.

Do you read?

VolzsFan writes:

the dumb thing was for a woman's player to be on the same court with a man's player. They will get hurt all the time. Stick to practicing with the male managers that could not play middle school ball.

KVCrockett writes:

in response to easleychuck:

Just have to make better decisions.

Jewelry of any kind should not be worn during a sporting event,rings necklaces, earrings, all should be banned on the field or court. It makes me sick to see pro baseball players with 10 lbs. of gold chains and gold rings hanging all over them. Same for NFL and NBA.Come on commissioners end this nonsense.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

My neighbor in high school was 6'2"
SHE was 4" inches taller than me and started varsity. She was NOT a gentle person. Some of these women can whoop your b^##!

mocsandvolsfan writes:

ps not takin' up for the ladies but your comment was it meant to be stupid?

Theo writes:

You can tell football season is over. All the dumb a's trolls who normally stink up the men's threads have moved over here.
I've often wondered about the psychological abnormalities that would make one troll opponents sites. What sort of person would come on a women's bb site just to insult women's bb. That's right someone with a very, very, very small pee,pee.

budd#207344 writes:

Volzfan is and always will be an idiot. That said they were working out on New Years Eve instead of out partying. I cannot find anything wrong with that. But these players have shown the hunger all year so I shouldn't be surprised at this. Great job, get well soon and keep it up

in response to Jediphysics:

I agree. I'm pretty sure that not only did Bobby not get into any publicized trouble, he also had no academic difficulties that I know of. He may still be in the area because he doesn't have his degree yet, but maybe he is still working on it. Heck, he might have a job in the area for all I know. I'm not a great fan of lots of tats, but maybe the old warning about not judging a book by its cover applies here.

in response to KVCrockett:

Can't speak for MLB or the NFL, but the NBA has long had a prohibition against wearing jewelry on the court. It's just common sense, too. Besides, as others have pointed out, the article said Cierra got her "little and ring FINGERS"(emphasis added) caught in Bobby's jersey.

in response to 9willbesofine:

Yep, named after one of the most successful coaches in any sport ever. Pat has accomplished more in her life than any ten of us on here, or more than any thousand like you, most likely.

Simply_Orange51 writes:

Take the ring off when you work or play - Murphy's Law - jewelry will find a way of getting caught at the worst moment, in the strangest circumstance, and doing its worst in terms of injury. Injury would likely not have occurred if the ring hadn't been on the finger.

r2d2 writes:

in response to VolzsFan:

This was not a dumb thing. All of the top women basketball team practice with male basketball players, not just male managers.

xvolx writes:

Just a freak accident.

in response to Simply_Orange51:

It didn't say anything about rings! The name for the third finger--you know, the one between the pinkie finger and the "bird" finger--is the RING finger. She caught her ring FINGER and her little finger in Bobby's jersey.

in response to johnlg00:

Actually, for those who thought Cierra was wearing a ring, the article said she caught her "ring and little fingers" in Maze's jersey. It would have been clearer if it had been worded the way I have it above, although it might have been a clue that they did use the plural "fingers" in the sentence.