Tennessee, Butch Jones plan post-Signing Day celebrations across the state

Butch Jones is bringing back Tennessee's traditional post-National Signing Day statewide celebrations.

Jones and all of his assistant coaches will crisscross the state on Feb. 7, one day after his wrapping up the first signing class of his Vols tenure.

Jones will appear at events in Memphis in the morning, Nashville at midday and Knoxville in the evening.

The celebrations are similar to the National Signing Day routine of former coaches Phillip Fulmer and Lane Kiffin, although the idea faded during Derek Dooley's tenure.

Jones has made a point of emphasizing the importance of in-state recruiting since he was hired in December. Starting his day in talent-rich Memphis may help drive that point home.

Each event will emceed by UT broadcaster Bob Kesling and will show video highlights of each signee. Tickets are $25 and include a buffet meal. Tickets can be purchased at http://bit.ly/UTcelebrationtickets.

The events will take place at the Memphis Hilton (939 Ridge Lake Boulevard, 7:30 a.m.), the Nashville Hilton (121 Fourth Avenue South, noon) and the Tennessee Terrace at Neyland Stadium (6:30 p.m.)

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

junkball10 writes:

You go Coach! I like that you are embracing Vol tradition. Now bring back our winning tradition. GoVols!

10seVol85_Part_Deux writes:

Only thing. Feb sixth may be known as National Signing Day, but it is actually only the first day of the signing period. That means the 2013 class won't necessarily be "wrapped up" on the 7th. Just look at recent classes. Not all players sign on the 6th.

Volfan1 writes:

The more I read about Butch Jones, the more I like him.
The more I read about Dooley, the more I am GLAD he is gone! I gave him every chance, but Dooley staying just one more year would have been the next thing to the Death Penalty.
I hope Hamilton, Kiffin & Dooley haven't beaten down a glorious program too far.
I don't think so, and it seems Jones has what it takes to bring it back!
Good decision Coach Jones!

orange_eVOLution writes:

Dad gum I like what Jones is doing so far.

GO VOLS!!

TitanandVolfan4life writes:

Bringing back a UT tradition is an excellent thing to do!!!

bUTch is doing things the right ways for certain and I like it!!!

VFL...GBO!!!

Rumblefish writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

You mean party like Alabubba's Mike Price did with that prostitute?

No thanks. We'll leave that up to y'all.

Rumblefish writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Or, do you want us to party like y'all did during the Shula years?

Get lost, clown.

Rumblefish writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Should we party like y'all did while the General dominated your precious bear?

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to Rumblefish:

Should we party like y'all did while the General dominated your precious bear?

Sir, as much as I apprciate the intent of your rumbling, swinebesofine is a lizard fan.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

I usually attend the celebration in Memphis.
However, I can't see me braving Memphis traffic to be there at 07:30.

pcorange writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

You are a sorry SOB. I really wish that KNS would ban you from this site. You do a lot of boasting for a fan of a team that had enough star power talent to win the NC, but got drummed by Louisville. As far as coaching goes, I'll put our new coach up against Will Muschamp any way you want to stack 'em. Muschamp has zero control of his players and it shows in the way they conduct themselves on and off the field. Instead of chewing his players out for not executing his boneheaded call to open the second half of the Sugar Bowl and getting 30 yards worth of unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, he's gnawing on the referees for doing their job. Any decent coach would've blown his players' hair back over dirty play that costs his team a chance, not Muschamp. His team acts like a bunch of trash, so I can only assume that is an extension of him. I've got no respect at all for you, Will Muschamp, or the Florida Gators. You are all trash.

pingkr62 writes:

This guy continues to impress! G.B.O.!!!

tennrich1 writes:

in response to Volfan1:

The more I read about Butch Jones, the more I like him.
I don't think so, and it seems Jones has what it takes to bring it back!
Good decision Coach Jones!

Yeah I must agree with you...I supported Dooley all along BECAUSE HE WAS OUR COACH...I think that's the way a fan should do and leave the firing and all up to the people who get paid to do it....having said that....I agree the more of read the more I see just how bad CDD had let things get...talking to a big time recruits dad last week who will be playing in the SEC next year but not with the Vols was very honest about how he felt with Dooley and the old staff....after a couple of meeting with them it became clear to him that his son would never play for Dooley at UT....and just for the record...He's trying to sway a four star commitment we have right now away from UT...I let him know how I felt about that...by the way...He likes CBJ and staff....

formervol1950s writes:

in response to pcorange:

Way to go PC ... i believe you could have played for us .

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

CBJ is doing it the right way..Show all your big state signees that UT is really proud to have them on board. I can't say what that would have meant for me if Richard Williamson had showed up as I was signing my letter of intent. Instead I got a phone call from Kippy Brown and Rocky Felker saying they wanted to extend me a scholarship. Not the same.

keepitreal4vols writes:

Jones is total opposite of Dooley...and I like it alot! http://youtu.be/28GLa9T2CtI

underthehill writes:

in response to pcorange:

I am usually for the SEC..not in this one..I thoroughly enjoyed watching the refs and Louisville put Mus in his place..as for his players..they may feel like they have to act like their coach..and they do a good job of that...I know of no other team in the SEC that the rest of the conference was embarassed by the way they acted in a bowl game..only fla..and they were worse than Southern Cal..

SewaneeVolFan writes:

Good move by Coach Butch in a number of ways -- connection to past tradition, connecting to fans, providing info on the recruits themselves, as well as giving some more love to the recruits AFTER all the stroking that goes with recruiting.

I always feel great about UT football coaches (I really thought Dooley would work out well), but I just have a great feeling about THIS coach and his staff.

frblalack writes:

Gotta like what Coach Jones is doing to renew tradition! This man looks like a keeper!!!

All Vols - All the Time - Vol for Life - Go Big Orange!!!

oldvolsfan writes:

we have talent in tri cities also

usnavyvolfan_on_duty writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Don't worry....our coach won't be hitting the road in a golf cart or anything.

usnavyvolfan_on_duty writes:

I like what I see in CBJ. He's got a lot of enthusiasm, and the more he shows, I think more recruits will gravitate toward UT.

Olddogsrule writes:

in response to tennrich1:

Totally agree, support the coaches and staff who are there, and that goes a long way towards supporting the team and their esprit de corp and that helps them win games. Now that it's all over, I'm glad we have Coach Jones, only because I like the persona Jones projects. Back when Dooley was hired, I was with my brother during one of his first interviews, and it was the first time either one of us had seen him. Brother says to the effect, "He says the right things, but all coaching new hires tend to, but does he have the "stuff" to get the players to leave it on the field for him"? Well, he did for the offense this year, but leaving the defense to Sunseri even when it became apparent the D wasn't performing was wrong. He could have replaced Sunseri mid-year and I would have been glad. But, again, for the sake of the players, I supported all the coaches until Hart pulled the plug.

I saw Neyland referenced above. He was tough. My Dad grew up with Bowden Wyatt. I'd sit in the car or the lobby while Dad visted with him during his many hospital stays, and hear stories going home. One was how Bowden at first hated Neyland, and Neyland didn't particularly like him either. Why? Neyland only took Bowden because he wanted another boy from Kingston, Bowden was too small. Then, Bowden "wasn't gonna be treated that-a-way" like when Neyland would move the team off the practice field into a gravel parking lot until they "upped their intensity" to Neylands liking. Course it didn't take but maybe one down to get back on the grass. Bowden even left the team and went home a couple of times, but his Dad brought him back. Moral? Neyland didn't want Bowden, Bowden didn't want to play for Neyland- but when Bowden decided nothing Neyland could do was as bad as his Daddy's woodshed trip, something clicked, HE GOT TOUGH! He became an All American and then Neyland brought him back and he coached his own Volunteers!

Go You Volunteers! GET TOUGH!!!!!

chuckfromwoodberry writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Flurda gagturds=the old miami hurricanes
All trash, all the time

decades_vol (Inactive) writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Speaking of "hitting the road", 3 Gators have been given their walking papers, while another one seems to be "scooting" on thin ice. If I were coach Muschamp, I would consider putting leg irons on the rest of the team, at least until spring practice. It might reduce the attrition rate of the Gator roster. Will needs to keep a close watch on this bunch. His nerves will end up like Urbie's if he's not careful. As for the players, I would recommend that they go to Netflix and rent (not steal) the movie "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", or watch the replay of their cheap shots (and beatdown) in the Sugar Bowl. Either choice offers a unique perspective on dealing with the consequences of wayward behavior.

Sir_Spanky writes:

Nice to see a TN football coach out meeting people across the state and WORKING! instead of fretting because he's not 100% happy with the color the walls in the weight room were painted.

rbwtn writes:

Now that's more like it!

Sir_Spanky writes:

in response to decades_vol:

Look, when your grandmother, your mother, and about every other woman you've interacted with your whole life has been virtually covered in tattoos, how else do you expect one of their football players to act?

KingDanno (Inactive) writes:

This just in, Dooley SUCKS!

usafvol writes:

in response to pcorange:

Great post; almost brought tears to my eyes. I couldn't have said it better..

KVCrockett writes:

in response to 9willbesofine:

Hey nine, give us directions and we'll come to your house.

murrayvol writes:

in response to 10seVol85_Part_Deux:

Treux Deux. But most do.

antonio14313 writes:

GREAT news!!! i, too, like everything that coach jones is doing thusfar. can't wait till september! go vols.

t

calvolfromkingsport writes:

in response to Olddogsrule:

Go You Volunteers! GET TOUGH!!!!!

Best poster on this board. I hope you are right Old Dog, something was missing. Unfortunately, the cynicism has been setting in ever since Hamilton rolled the dice with Kiffen. I hope CBJ will be SEC tough and not settle for Big Ten tough.

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

As has been stated often by many, a team made up ONLY of in-state players can never contend for an SEC championship. However, if the Vols annually had their pick of the best in the state, say a dozen out of the top 25 or six out of the top ten, that would be a nice start on a class almost any year. Both of the guys before Jones said they were going to nail down the state, but they showed little evidence of even trying very hard to do so. Maybe Jones actually means it.

in response to Sir_Spanky:

Good point. A coach who tries to control everything all the time ends up controlling nothing. Butch seems to have his priorities straight. The big upside of having a staff who has mostly worked for him before is that they know what he wants and know he trusts them to do what he wants. When he tells a player specifically what he wants him to do, the player might at least realize he means it. If everything seems equally important, then nothing is REALLY important.