Lady Vols not dwelling on past with Vanderbilt

Michelle Marciniak on Holly Warlick and Pat Summitt

When it comes to bitter memories, first things first for Tennessee.

The No. 9 Lady Vols (15-3, 5-0 SEC) are in Nashville tonight to face SEC/instate women's basketball rival Vanderbilt (13-5, 3-2) at Memorial Gymnasium (TV: SportSouth, 9 p.m.). They've returned to the scene of last season's 93-79 loss to the Commodores, who parlayed 24 layups into a thrashing that left UT humbled and embarrassed.

Senior Taber Spani recalled the bus ride home as "awful." But this year's team is almost evenly divided between those who were slumped in a seat on the same bus and those who weren't. Spani suggested that the history might be better used as instruction instead of motivation.

"A lot of the people who were a big key to that game and to that season aren't here anymore," Spani said. "Yes, we'll learn from it and talk about what went wrong, things we need to address, whatever. But it's not something we'll focus on."

Presumably, the same will hold true for Monday's visit from No. 2 Notre Dame. The Irish converted 14 second-half layups into a 72-44 mauling of UT on Jan. 23 last season, in South Bend, Ind. They began the layup drill that ended with Tennessee's Memorial misadventures 17 days later.

Spani doesn't remember any bus rides associated with the Notre Dame loss. The result did follow the team home, however, taking up residence in the

team locker room, thanks to the handiwork of the team managers and others.

"Probably a million pieces of paper with the score on it taped everywhere," she said. "It stayed up for awhile."

When considering those experiences, Spani prioritizes in terms of UT's schedule. Vanderbilt is up next. The opponent is a factor as well. The Commodores aren't just any foe, especially on the road.

"That's always a circled game for us," she said.

Spani was echoing the sentiment of head coach Holly Warlick.

"Holly is not going to let us forget that rivalry, what that means to this program," Spani said. "I mean she hates Vanderbilt — in a nice way. And I think it's mutual. You don't hate the people. You just hate the rivalry."

Speaking for herself during Tuesday's media availability, Warlick said that she will reference last season's loss. Some of the circumstances surrounding the outcome remain relevant today.

"Our defense has to get so much better," Warlick said. "To me, we're not even close yet."

In the midst of an eight-game winning streak, the coaches have tried to raise the players' level of concern about their play. After last Thursday's lackluster 75-66 victory at Auburn, the staff addressed the team on Friday. Assistant coach Dean Lockwood entitled their talk "the responsibility of greatness."

"Knowing if you want to be a great team, you can't play in spurts," he said. "You can't have some times when it's OK to play hard and sometimes, even when you have big leads or whatever, to not play hard, to not defend. It's an all-the-time thing."

Tuesday's practice revisited those talking points in relentless fashion. Although the Lady Vols won't have to defend Vanderbilt center Stephanie Holzer — who's out for the season with a knee injury — Tiffany Clarke, Christina Foggie and Jasmine Lister await them tonight. On the last visit, they combined for 64 points, not to mention a lot of bitter memories.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

This is no time to dwell on last year's game. It is stuck in their memory bank and it won't go away. There's only one way to push it farther back in their minds and that is to go out and sink the Commodores.

62vol writes:

In the subject article, Dan Fleser described a 14 point loss as a thrashing. Really?

SoddyVol writes:

VU home court always makes it tough on visitors. They haven't lost at home so far this year. The younger Vols are in for a different experience mainly because of the placement of team benches. I assume they are still at each end of the court. The Vols are by far the best team but must come to play 40 minutes.

butch31 writes:

in response to 62vol:

I remember that game, and yes it really was a thrashing. The 14 point deficit is deceiving, because we were getting our fannies kicked, the entire game.

bbfn writes:

Yes, it was a thrashing. There's a difference between arrogance and confidence. If UT comes out arrogant, they'll lose again. The Dores are ready.

Theo writes:

Feel good about beating West End Senior High.
Go Lady Vols! Ignore the non-comforming court structure. When is the SEC going to make Vanderbilt correct an obvious competitive advantage related to the placement of the benches? No one in the SEC but Vanderbilt would get away with this. Not because Vanderbilt gets special treatment just because the SEC generally doesn't really pay much attention to Vandy.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vandy used to have this girl......Rhoads, Roads, whatever. plus another one named Swammy, or whatever........and they aren't there anymore. They used to be trouble for the Lady Vols, so we need to deal with the new kids on the block. Lister, ( sp ) is one of those, so it's going to be interesting. Even without Burdick, IMO the Lady Vols will be equal to the task around the basket. Graves, Harrison, Moore, Jones etc. We'll soon see how many of those layups will be made this time around.

Go Lady Vols !

voloffaith writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Go Lady Vols !

This team has more quickness at the guard position so the layups should be less if players stay in thier areas. Also may see some matchup zone to minimize penetration of guards. Go Lady Vols shut the dore tonight!!

DroopyDrawers writes:

in response to 62vol:

Leave Dan Fleser alone. He is the only decent writer KNS has. Anytime we beat the Dores by I would call it a thrashing.

DroopyDrawers writes:

in response to 62vol:

Leave Dan Fleser alone. He is the only decent writer KNS. Anytime we beat the Dores by I would call it a thrashing.

ljlongtimevolfan writes:

The Vandy game tonight and the Notre Dame game may very well determine our regular season and post season play. We were embarrassed and thrashed by these two teams last season. They were frustrations and words between our players at both of these games last season which was a big discussion of us season ticket holders and people who travel to watch the Lady Vols. If you were at the games like me it was much worse than the final score but the Notre Dame fans were great to us before and after the game. The out come of these two games may very well depend more on the coaching staff’s ability to control the tone of game. Coach Elzy has been a great addition to the coaching staff and has improved Simmons over all game by trying to keep her playing under control and playing team ball. I will be at the game rooting for the Lady Vols and hope we play like a team and work the ball inside unselfishly to Graves and Harrison and come away a winner

voloffaith writes:

in response to ljlongtimevolfan:

After the intro on "THRASHING" we get bogged down in "Us season ticket holders" and "People who travel" and"If you were at the games like me". Ok I get it you are a dedicated fan of the Lady Vols. Congrats on being financially able and healthy enough to travel, but the self attention almost rings of I know better than you 'cos I was there. Just saying that doesn't really add anything to the rest of the post. Not a personal attack,but a commentary, like I get often on relevancy to the subject matter.

underthehill writes:

in response to ljlongtimevolfan:

Good to read first hand information..Simmons is beginning to play up to her potential and use her speed on offense and defense..I haven't ever seen any lady player that can get from one end of the floor to the other and hit the layups as quick as Simmons can..quite an advantage..now she is playing better defense and cutting down some on her turnovers..

underthehill writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Do I sense a bit of envy here..I read the entire post and appreciated the intelligent basketball knowledge of the dedicated Lady Vol fan who wrote it..I didn't notice any indication you have any knowledge of the game of basketball..would you like to demonstrate a bit of that..thank you...

Theo writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Not a very generous assessment there jesus. I think the point was that some of the comments made could only be made by someone who was actually present at the game.

voloffaith writes:

in response to underthehill:

Read earlier post this article and many others in the past on lady Vols which might indicate(humbly) that I actually have a bball acumen. Might even have been a coach of young ladies in a developmental league. Not impressed? Good as don't have to validate myself. Oh BTW no envy/jealousy....underthehills I hope this satiates your need to have demonstrated whether I understand the pick n roll or the high-low game or rotating defense or diamond and one or matchup zone or 2-1-2 or 2-3 or 3-2 or 1-3-1.......and the beat goes on...loddy doddy day...HAVE A NICE DAY!!

Theo writes:

in response to THECATTLEMAN_IN_CHARGE:

Such a load bigot.

voloffaith writes:

in response to Theo:

Thank you Young Master Huxtable as I sit humbly corrected....I saw the games on the telly and was well informed that the score might not be indicative of the disparity of the two teams playing..thanks again..tell Dr. Cliff I said hi....

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

This is the time to beat Vandy and ND. ND plays Sat and will have to catch a flight right after the game Sat to Knoxville to play Mon. Could be a fatigued team to beat Monday. Just my assessment.

in response to Theo:

Feel good about beating West End Senior High.

Vandy's gym is one of the oldest in the conference. It was originally designed to function as an auditorium as well as a gym, with a big stage on one side. The ground floor slopes from one side to the other, so one side of the playing floor is higher from the main floor on one side than the other. Some of the seats on the low side of the main floor are barely at eye-level of the playing floor. The other side slopes back a bit more gradually than in most gyms. If they had to put the benches on the sidelines, lots of seats would have obstructed views. The only real solution would be to virtually rebuild the whole edifice. The SEC and the NCAA aren't going to force them to do that. The building also houses a swimming pool, S&C and training rooms, and lots of offices for various athletic and university staff. It is unlikely that they will undertake a major reconstruction on their own, so every visitor that plays there just has to adjust. We may not like it, but there it is.

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to THECATTLEMAN_IN_CHARGE:

Back to the ranch and keep herding those cattle............more expertise there !

jt45 writes:

in response to Theo:

Such a load bigot.

Crawled out from under his rock as usual.

in response to voloffaith:

I agree that this team has more quickness than last year's, but Holly was saying that she is not pleased with the defense THIS year, and I think she has a point. In particular, the help defense needs to be better.

In several of the recent games, I saw an opposing guard take the ball from the 3-point arc all the way to the basket with the LV post players not even seeming to notice them coming until they were putting up the shot. That kind of late reaction results in either a wide-open layup, a foul, or an and-1, none of them good. If you are playing the post on defense against a team that likes to drive the ball, your head has to be on a swivel. You periodically tag the player you are guarding with a hand, but you always have to know where the ball is. When a player even LOOKS like she might try to drive, you take a half-step into the driving lane just to let her know you see her. That will stop a lot of drives before they are even attempted.

The other main defensive weakness is that the help-side defenders are too slow recovering to contest the 3-pointers. Whenever the ball is shifted from one side to the other, EACH player must adjust her position, finding the distance where she is no more than a step-and-a-half from dropping to help underneath and the same distance to close out on an outside shooter.

volboy81 writes:

its never OK to lose to Peabody and Holly knows it. I hate Vandy, just like her. I hope we can come out and play the entire game like we did the 2nd half vs GA and SC. These ladies can play some ball & are hard to beat when theyre on. Holly has exceeded my expectations so far this year...keep it up!
GO LADY VOLS!!!

ModelMaker writes:

in response to ljlongtimevolfan:

Good post. I agree with you on your comment on Elzy. I think she has helped Simmons alot. I also see an improvement in Spani's game over the last three years. She doesn't just shoot three's but has more of an all around game now. I think these kids have done wonderful with Burdick out. Hope they can hang tough at Vandy with some tough defense.

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

The two best defensive players are Jones and Williams..who are not in the starting 5..I think Holly does a good job recognizing this and playing zone some..when Jones comes in and takes the defensive point..it creates turnovers for the Lady Vols and speeds the game tempo..I look for more of this..

chaos001 writes:

I hate this game, Vandy, their "gym", their fans (esp. the Whistler...technical people? come on!), the refs, and especially their team and coaches. It's always ugly, and Vandy gets away with bloody murder.

Let's taken down the dirty 'Dores!

Theo writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I used to have 4th row season tickets for the Vandy women so I am aware of the weird elevated floor. I primarily bought them so I would have great seats for the Lady Vols games. You can not imagine the darts the Vandy fans threw my way. Very entertaining really. IMHO regardless of the cost it is an unfair advantage. I think the competition committee should look at it.

Utstudenteric writes:

I wish that Jasmine Phillips wouldn't of had the earlier issues she had with her academics. I saw her play some at louisburg, (the juco school she was at before UT) and she's can be absolutely explosive. Remember the for a lack of better terms hat-trick that Kamiko had against MTSU to prevent an upset? Well Phillips is capable of that on a regular basis. Hopefully she gets into the groove of things and in shape enough to provide some perimeter defense for this team as it has been pretty lackluster recently. One major advantage I've seen is Jasmine Jones. I saw her play in high school at a holiday tournament in my hometown and didn't necessarily understand why we were recruiting her. I know why. Anytime a 6'2" girl can guard and completely shut down an experienced 5'1" girl (Ourdad from Auburn) She's some kind of an animal. Not too mention she has a mean dribble drive. And in my opinion she was a key factor in that second half run against Auburn that helped us to escape with a win. I also think that although Elzy has probably helped a lot with simmons game I think she's the reason for Spani's improval. I think Coach Law is the main reason for the overall improval for Simmons game. Don't forget that Law used to be on the Harlem Globetrotters, and was a defensive specialist for the Iowa hawkeyes. I can only imagine what this team would be if Carter was healthy. I feel guilty because I'm looking forward to her return more so than Burdick. I'd be so much more appreciative of her if she would just take one or two steps back behind the 3-point line so that pretty shot would be worth more. Still love how smooth and fluid her game is though. The key to this Vandy game is not letting them get the momentum and keeping a close watch on Foggie.

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

in response to Utstudenteric:

Good points. I think we will see more of Jasmine Phillips in the games after ND. She has potential but you can tell from last weeks game she has to develop more and get more minutes. I think JJ should start tonight. We need to stop the layups immediately , from the start. Great teams play smothering intimidating defense early to break your will , then they began to slowly bury you in points. We can't allow any of there players to get a good start. I can't wait to get Burdick back because she can rebound just as good as she can shoot. I agree if she can develop a consistent 3 , she would be even better.

in response to Theo:

Sounds like fun times! I agree about the unfair competitive advantage, but I just don't see the powers that be trying to force Vandy to build a new gym or renovate the existing one to the necessary extent. That would be a pretty awesome power to vest in a pretty much unaccountable body. I doubt the other schools in the conference would support the SEC/NCAA in seeking that power even if they have been victims of Vandy's wacky gym.

Good comments by the two posters above me. Just imagine, considering how well the team has been playing lately--or at least winning; the last two haven't been works of art!--how much better they will be when Jones and Phillips get fully integrated into the scheme and Burdick gets back. Then think about nearly all of them back next year, along with Carter and the great freshman prospects, and you are looking at nothing less than the return of the old familiar LV juggernaut, the one we haven't seen for the last five years or so.

voloffaith writes:

in response to johnlg00:

John Lennon piano intro..."Imagine a world...." One day at a time...yes " Your young men will dream dreams and..." Play with what we've got and if we get a next year we will play with what we have then. The prospects sound good , but healthy ,all on board players will look better for sure.

Theo writes:

in response to Utstudenteric:

Great info to hear on JP. She has had a rough start, big change from Juco. She looks a little bit like Izzy last year. You can tell she wants to do so well in her limited minutes that she is tight. I hope we can have some blow out games in the second half of the season where we can get JP and Nia more minutes. I thought Nia looked a lot better after she got a few minutes under her belt the other night.
Really like this group, all of them. And, who else can claim a former Harlem Globetrotter on their coaching staff!!!!

Volinflan writes:

in response to Utstudenteric:

Thanks for a great post with some good info. A lot of us didn't have much info on Jasmine P. before her sighing with UT. The lady Vols really need a wing/guard that can make a difference from the top of the key. (no, another guard, they have a couple. I know she would not have become the first Warlick Lady Vols sighnee without at lot of potential. Lets get her some playing time tonight after getting ahead of Vandy by about 30.

Volinflan writes:

I'm saying, just saying: should the Lady Vols win out with a win over ND and a split over Kentucky in the regular season and the tournament, would old Creme-de-la-Creme think the Lady Vols were a one seed in Knoxville?

Utstudenteric writes:

And look who's tied at the half. I don't say this often, but let's go game hens!

Volinflan writes:

in response to Utstudenteric:

Go hens!!!!!!

GOJO writes:

in response to Theo:

***************************

Remember the Lady Vols game at Vandy sometime in the 1990's when Vandy oversold the capacity & some of us ticket holders could not get in. I certainly do because I was one of those that was turned away. I hope Vandy has learned to count.

VolFanInTheBoro (Inactive) writes:

in response to THECATTLEMAN_IN_CHARGE:

you never do anything but criticize

maxvolfan#217855 writes:

The short bench is working. Good win against a good Vandy team.

Theo writes:

in response to GOJO:

***************************

LOL. I do remember that. I got in and it was about 60% orange. The only good thing about Memorial is that they sell (sold?) Icees up on the top mezanine.