Trent Taylor, who was dismissed by UT, arrested on drug charge

A University of Tennessee student dismissed from the football team earlier this month was arrested on a drug charge Wednesday, according to arrest records.

Trent Taylor, 20, was booked into the Knox County Detention Facility for possession of a Schedule VI controlled substance, according to online arrest records.

Taylor, a freshman defensive lineman from Lakeland, Fla., played in one game and stopped attending practices midway through the season. Then-coach Derek Dooley said he was concentrating exclusively on academics.

UT officials announced earlier this month that Taylor would no longer be a member of the program moving forward.

Taylor was listed as an inactive student in the university directory after the semester ended. A campus address, however, is listed for Taylor in his arrest record.

A three-star defensive line prospect in the 247 Composite, Taylor chose Tennessee over an offer from Miami (Fla.).

Further details of the arrest were not immediately available.

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Footvol2010 writes:

Come on, KNS. At this point with his status with the university and team, it's just a 20 year old who got arrested for weed. Happens every day, who cares?

rb4346 writes:

So sad when these kids with so much talent would rather waste it on drugs than get a great education and play for the Vols. I hope you can get your life straight young man. GBO

tdvol1989 writes:

Go smoke weed with Ricky Williams. Who cares? No philosophical melancholy pining from me. Good luck with the Ganja! Thanks for opening up a scholly for someone who knows what to do with it!

It's nice to know Butch isn't an advocate of three puffs and you're out! Lets just talk about recruiting. Not tokers.

As Curly Bill would say, well bye!

That_One_Fellar writes:

And just think, if he'd a gone to Miami, he probably be buyin it from his QB, and smokin' with the rest of the defense... Nah, I'm just kiddin'... Miami has nothin' more than the most upstandin' players in the nation...

ONUV writes:

in response to Footvol2010:

they never waste an opportunity to tarnish men's sports.

FearTheVols1252 writes:

KNS needs to make a minor correction... Taylor chose drugs over Miami AND Tennessee.

easleychuck writes:

in response to Footvol2010:

You are, of course, correct. But then the KNS does not get a sexy story out of it.

Just an opportunity to throw the school into the limelight right at the time parents and players are making their decisions where to attend school.

When all it really is about is a kid who had the opportunity of a lifetime, coninuing on a downward path.

He failed as a student. Now he may very well fail as a human being if he does not get some help. But this is somehow the UT football program's fault, right KNS.

vut5686#1405392 writes:

in response to easleychuck:

Nothing more needs saying, unless there could be one thousand "likes." As of now, this person had no connection to the UT football program nor the university. Hence, no reason for this posting on this site.

vut5686#1405392 writes:

Upon further review, I had to read in a Chattanooga on-line site that Len Kosmalski will be honored as a "SEC Legend" this year at the SEC tournament. Pity KNS could not have posted this bit of positive news rather than this police blotter bit about a hoodlum dropout.

BigBadVol writes:

Bye! You will be saying "would you like fries with that order?" very soon.

JethroBodine1980 writes:

I so happy our readers are familair with a 'Schedule VI Controlled Substance" as nowhere in the article did I see where it mention what type of drug it was. Maybe he was hanging out with that other Bob Marley wanna be from Florida...Richardson.

PHAT_VOL writes:

Off Topic Coach Jones needs to go after Jalen Ramsey.

bogey74 writes:

Very poor reporting. The KNS has once again shown that it is a struggling rag that resorts to National Enquirer tactics. Very sad...

govols1234567 writes:

Oh, weed... For a second I thought he got arrested for using a real drug

laraccoon writes:

in response to PHAT_VOL:

Off Topic Coach Jones needs to go after Jalen Ramsey.

i think the story within that story is Tee Martin , dude goes from Ralph Brown and associates to New Mexico to Kensluppy to USC and now being referred to as a super recruiter .I think that is one of the most important things Jones has done up to this point is to have reached out to Tee ,maybe that will pay off in the near future .

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

Good timing.

VolMoment writes:

in response to Footvol2010:

I agree!!! The KNS sunk years ago when they didn't get rid of John Adams. The CEO's of the Newspaper world don't get it. They wonder why circulation is dropping and don't realizie that there is enough negative thinks going on, like people getting shot and terroism, that people in a sports page only want news about current players and former players doing charity work. I bet a chemistry major, oh wait I know one, got arrested for weed and this guy dropped out of UT after second year. Where is the headline and story. FORMER UT CHEMISTRY MAJOR ARRESTED FOR WEED POSSESSION Testifies his connection to UT had nothing to do with it. KNS reporter insist, however you did go there, right!

NashvillePreds writes:

in response to govols1234567:

Oh, weed... For a second I thought he got arrested for using a real drug

Hahahaha

rbwtn writes:

in response to Footvol2010:

Here's why it matters, Like Smoking doing weed isn't good for the lungs or an Athletes' overall body I have no problem with weed but when you are on scholarship you have to respect your School your Coach and your Teammates. It's part of Growing up. I think you know how much a UT scholarship costs right?

Rookie2 writes:

in response to Footvol2010:

The article said schedule VI. Weed is schedule II. I think schedule VI is like anitbiotics and ibuprofin. Maybe he got caught with a case of Flintstone vitamins with the intent to distribute to the neighborhood kids. It's considered a gateway to worse things like lima beans and gabage balls.

us43137415#376444 writes:

in response to Footvol2010:

Come on footvol2010.

If the KNS knew this and not reported it, you'd be first in line, yelling about the paper not publishing it, not doing their jobs and dropping the word "coverup."

Some people just always have to have something to complain about.

You cannot have it both ways.

pdowned writes:

Why is this news? He isn't on UT's team. I assume KNS will now be doing an article on every 20 year old arrested on drug charges?

koamalina writes:

in response to tdvol1989:

As Curly Bill would say, well bye!

"Smells like something died"
(or maybe its just the weed)

HooRay_Vol writes:

What a maroon, what a nin-cow-poop......

laraccoon writes:

in response to HooRay_Vol:

What a maroon, what a nin-cow-poop......

why bring color into it ?

snuffysmiff writes:

in response to JethroBodine1980:

Schedule VI in Tennessee is marijuana or any tetrahydrocannabinol, the active ingredient in marijuana.

snuffysmiff writes:

in response to Rookie2:

Nope. Weed isn't even close to being Schedule II. Weed and any derivative or synthetic form containing the active ingredient tetrahydrocannabinol is Schedule VI. Schedule VI has the shortest list of controlled substances. Schedule II is some opiates and coca plant derivatives.

jt45 writes:

in response to rbwtn:

Except he was no longer at UT or on scholarship for that matter. There are plenty of kids out there getting caught for the same thing that you will never see KNS writing about. This was bait for discussion nothing more.The national enquirer does this all the time only with actors or famous folks.

aspenvol2 writes:

in response to ONUV:

they never waste an opportunity to tarnish men's sports.

So true. Other SEC towns have friendly media; or at least not negatrons. Will never understand it.

gogovols2002#222335 writes:

Hopefully he will reform..maybe go to a JUCO and get through it.

Dalton writes:

Marijuana make you lazy

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Dalton:

Marijuana make you lazy

Witch Doctor say no wayyyyyyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. lol
Bones never lieeeeeeeeeeeeeee zzzzzzzzzzz

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to Dalton:

Marijuana make you lazy

So that's why Fulmer got lazy..

laraccoon writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Witch Doctor say no wayyyyyyzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. lol
Bones never lieeeeeeeeeeeeeee zzzzzzzzzzz

put down that slice of pizza .

volboy81 writes:

in response to govols1234567:

Oh, weed... For a second I thought he got arrested for using a real drug

this kind of thinking is what is wrong with this country, among other things!

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to laraccoon:

put down that slice of pizza .

Witch Doctor burned out on pizza and found Kroger Brand Private Selection Ice cream "Sea Salt Truffle" Witch Doctor say omg! Witch Doctor gonna have to run many many miles this spring! lol.
Bones never lie.

voloffaith writes:

in response to HooRay_Vol:

What a maroon, what a nin-cow-poop......

That was southern ya'll for moron and nincompoop.......or they really didn't kn....

On topic, another youngin has potentailly messed up bad with a great opportunity.

SevenT writes:

Whatever happened to the Fulmer Cup? I guess nothing

voloffaith writes:

in response to SevenT:

Whatever happened to the Fulmer Cup? I guess nothing

name might have originated with him, but UT hasn't been the winner many times in this fan made up contest....but your kattens have ,thankfully, not been a winner for your peace of mind.

GloryDays writes:

And now you know the rest of the story.

volcop writes:

in response to govols1234567:

Oh, weed... For a second I thought he got arrested for using a real drug

schedule VI ain't weed look it up

volcop writes:

in response to volcop:

schedule VI ain't weed look it up

oops i thought it said IV

govols1234567 writes:

in response to volboy81:

this kind of thinking is what is wrong with this country, among other things!

Nonsense. The war on drugs is way more of a problem than inhaling a damn plant. It's a lot of the reason guns are in the process of getting more strict regulations. But this is a UT sports site, so that's all I'm going to say about it.

Footvol2010 writes:

in response to us43137415#376444:

Come on footvol2010.

Some people just always have to have something to complain about.

You cannot have it both ways.

I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do here. You don't know me, and I certainly wouldn't give a f if KNS decided to "cover up" a story about a 20 year old non-UT student in possession of marijuana. Like I said, it happens every day. Hell, I'm sure a UT student gets a citation for possession at least several times a month if not more.

I would point to you as the person who always has to have something to complain about, seeing as you made up personality traits about me to try to paint me as that sort of person.

NYCApple writes:

I was feeling ill one day walking back from Ayers to Reese. I believe I had the flu or something. I remember my stomach started to rumble and I had immense pressure build up. I tried to hustle back to the dorms, and got right past the library and just s### all over myself. It was this yellowy, sick smelling diarrhea all down my pants leg and into the leg of my boot. I didn't want to move my leg as it was sickening, causing my pants to slosh, stick to my leg...so I limped back to the dorm, took a shower and threw those pants away....
I just thought I would share that story, and maybe at the same time somehow improve the experience of reading ths article...

Orange_Beach writes:

in response to voloffaith:

Mam, what did ewe just say?

cloudodust writes:

in response to SevenT:

Whatever happened to the Fulmer Cup? I guess nothing

Last I heard it was sitting in the trophy case in Gainesville...