Fulmer says he'd be 'willing to help' ETSU

Inductee Phillip Fulmer, former head coach of the University of Tennessee, speaks during the announcement of the 2012 College Football Hall of Fame class, Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012, in New York. (AP Photo/Jason DeCrow)

Photo by AP Photo/Jason DeCrow

Although he still looks younger than he did during his final season coaching at Tennessee in 2008, youth twinkles in Phillip Fulmer’s eyes when he discusses a potential return to the sideline.

“I’ve always said I would coach again if the right opportunity presented itself,” Fulmer said Thursday while in town at the Holiday Inn to speak at a Boys & Girls Club fundraiser. “I would coach again, but it would have to be a real unique situation.”

East Tennessee State would qualify as unique. The Buccaneers football program was discontinued in 2003, clumsily considered for reinstatement in 2007 by the same president who’d killed it, and is now seemingly destined for a return under new energetic president Dr. Brian Noland.

Fulmer smiled when the notion of him coaching in Johnson City was mentioned, though it was something less than dismissive.

Continue reading at the Johnson City Press.

Sunshine27 writes:

I think Fulmer would take just about anything. I'm not a fan of this guy. I want him to go away. He had a nice run in the 90's no doubt. All the credit in the world there. But I will never forgive him for getting lazy, thinking kids would run to him. They didn't...we fell off a cliff because Fulmer got lazy. He's to blame for our downfall..no ifs ands or buts. He didn't keep young energetic coaches around for recruiting purposes. We got passed over night by other programs. I will never forgive him for that.
Please go away Fulmer.

volinlouisvilleky writes:

What the hell...Go Bucs!

Ironcity writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

Please go away Fulmer.

Your wrong!!! I was glad when UT dismissed Coach Fulmer but he is NOT why we are where we are.We are three coaches removed here. Hamilton had two chances to get the right guy and in each case picked the worst guy available.

GBOEngineer writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

Please go away Fulmer.

Things didn't work out the way he wanted the last few years, but it wasn't because he got lazy. On his worst day, he worked twice as hard as you on your best day. And it's not up to you to forgive him. Your opinion is worthless.

volspaws writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

Please go away Fulmer.

You're not a fan of this guy"? Doubt he's losing any sleep over it...the man won a national championship is in the hall of fame...he led us to a golden era in football..it wasn't "getting lazy" that led to his downfall....it was a weak athletic director and athletics board that listened to too many meatheads like you....go to bed....the breakfast shift at McDonalds starts early tomorrow

maciste54 writes:

I attended ETSU my freshman year back in the the Neanderthal days. I would instantly be a fan again if Fulmer helps them.

vorangel writes:

Guess Fulmer still doesn't realize the game has passed him by.
Maybe he's cashed his last buyout check and needs a hobby.

abnerPeabody writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

Please go away Fulmer.

Wow! Mr know it all liar is back. I would never thought you would take your precious time away from your demanding schedule to talk to us little people.For some one that has played at the highest level,ie the super bowl and mixed it up with the best in the sport,Pro Bowl and super bowl,you sure are one of the stupidest dumb arsses in existance.Why don't you become a grave digger and go shoveling off?

MarbleVol48 writes:

I thought he (Fulmer) might stand by in case Coach Ken Sparks needed some relief this coming season at Carson Newman. Coach Sparks is going throug a real tough time and Coach Fulmer would be the perfect temp..

scottvol writes:

I live in Johnson City and graduated from ETSU. Coach Fulmer would bring a lot of interest and excitement to the return of football at ETSU. He would get a lot of local recruits and put fans in the seats. A win, win situation for ETSU and Coach Fulmer. Hope it happens !

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

Please go away Fulmer.

Young and energetic coaches huh? Those are the exact qualities some fans and media "experts" were looking for when Cut left for Duke. With much of a Michigan offensive staff [and Ryan Mallett] looking for a new gig, Fulmer allegedly gave in to pressure from boosters and hired a young and energetic Dave Clawson.

smokeygrowl writes:

HELP THEM WHAT? GET COMPLACENT. I LIKE COACH FULMER AND WILL NEVER FORGET THE NAT C. TRUTHFULLY WE SHOULD HAVE WON 3 OR 4 NATIONAL CHAMP LIKE BAMA AS MUCH TALENT AS VOLS HAD. LOOK AT THE NFL PLAYERS OFF THOSE TEAMS. IF IT WASN'T FOR SPURRIER I THINK WE WOULD HAVE AT LEAST ONE MORE TITLE. HE MIGHT HELP THEM GET IN THE MIX AND IN THE HUNT BUT HE WONT KNOW TIL HE WATCHES THE FILM.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

If this is the best he can do he should stay retired..ETSU is worse than APSU (Austin Peay) and unless he's completely hard-up to coach he should stay retired.

GOJO writes:

in response to volspaws:

*************

You tell 'em volspaws. Fulmer did NOT leave the cupboard bare; the next two "young energetic" guys emptied it.

ARANGEVOL writes:

Go for it Coach!

MR_VOL writes:

I was there in Tempe the night the VOLS won the National Championship. My ticket is framed and hanging on my office wall. Before leaving Knoxville, I was interviewed at McGhee Tyson by a local television station and said “this will probably be the only National Championship [pertaining to UT] I will see in my lifetime” and I still stand by my words.

With the above said, I, personally, wish The Hall of Famer would either officially retire or get a job away from Knoxville. Without getting into the debate of the state of the program when Coach Fulmer left [which was bad], Fulmer had a great run. Most any coach would trade more victories even conference championships for Fulmer's National Championship!

Should Fulmer reenter coaching at ETSU, I sincerely hope it is not a feeble to keep his name in the media but instead a true desire to coach. I have met Coach Fulmer many times and I want to believe it is desire, regardless he will never coach at UT again.

As for my personal opinion, I wish The Hall of Famer would retire!

omega47 writes:

Honestly I don't see this as some self serving ego trip, but more a love of the game still semi-retired kind of move. Very seldom does anyone get to build a program from absolute nothing (ETSU even sold the turf and the pads), so it's a great way to work a couple more years, restart a program and then retire again. I compare this to what Larry Coker is doing out at UTSA more than anything else. Good on ya Fulmer if that's the case, losing football sucked out what little soul ETSU's student and alumni body had, even if the attendance was poor.

tennrat writes:

ETSU is my Alma Mater.....please if we are going to revive football, which we should, hire a coach that can win....the Pillsbury Dough Boy is not that coach

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

in response to I_STILL_OWN_MANY:

God, you truly are a boundless idiot. Here's a program that just doesn't even exist and the very idea that someone with Fulmers class and experience at the division 1 level would even consider an undertaking like a total rebuild is astounding and would be quite a gift for ETSU if it actually came to pass. I realize your low IQ hinders you from comprehending what I'm saying but just try. They have nothing right now. A guy like Fulmer with his contacts could give the program credibility from the get go and move them years ahead of where they'd be otherwise. But never mind, just go back to picking your toe jam and drooling or whatever it is you do to amuse yourself until SpongeBob comes on.

paradisetaxi writes:

in response to volspaws:

Your Wrong !!! Fulmer is gone because he wouldn't move his offence to the modern era, like Joe Paterno finally did...Everyone KNEW what play Fulmer was gonig to run...Awesome Coach , but wouldn't change with the time....If your going to talk about it, get right...I think your boss at Wendys is firing you...LOL

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to KnoxVegas88:

I think you stumbled onto something.

lemme_axya_this writes:

in response to paradisetaxi:

You're wrong!!! How is Bama doing without a "modern era" offense? If you're going to talk about it get it right. Saban better wise up, the game has clearly passed him by.

mrnole1413#235470 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Excellent opportunity. He just cashed his last buyout check. ETSU comes with zero pressure. After 17 years in a pressure cooker at UT as the head coach this would be a cakewalk. Could he do better probably but at 60 why wear yourself down.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to mrnole1413#235470:

If he needs the money then he's one pitiful financial investor..He should stay retired and not tarnish his name with a lower division CFB gig.

trl_x writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

This is exactly right. Saban's offense is downright prehistoric compared to others. He wins with defense and an offense based on a strong running game with play-action passing.

BTW, that was Fulmer's formula.

mrnole1413#235470 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

The fact that he doesn't need the money is exactly why he can take a gig like ETSU where he can do what he enjoys without all the pressure.

calvolfromkingsport writes:

Get Bucced up! You never know in a few years they may get a shot at the Vols and may even win if things don't get better soon.

signalcorps writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

Please go away Fulmer.

Aman Brother

orangeman1 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Fulmer is a Tennessee man through and through. He loved to coach, and people would be crazy to think he didnt have better opportunities outside the State. Maybe resurrecting ETSU is just what he wants. I cant fault a coaching legend for that.

LAVol11 writes:

Fulmer was great in his heydey at UT.....the success closely followed great recruiting....the last 4 years, not so much...NFL draft picks are a decent indicator of talen.

Fact:
Between 1997 and 2001: 52 wins and 11 losses
In the Spring 2002 NFL draft, 14 players from the 2001 team were taken.

Between 2005 and 2008: 28 wins and 22 losses.
In the 4 NFL drafts of 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009, a total of 14 players were taken.

Was UT right in moving in another direction?

TroyMajorsFleming writes:

in response to Sunshine27:

Please go away Fulmer.

And I'm sure coach can care less of what you or any other so called fanatic thinks because you wouldn't have lasted one day as an vol better yet a member of te cheer squad

Coach_K writes:

For all the people who keep bashing a true VFL, a man who gave more time, money, blood, sweat, and tears, YOU ARE ALL PATHETIC! Now as for the folks who want to talk about how bad he was doing and how lazy he was getting. Maybe you need a refresher course on history. In his last six years, you know when he was being passed by because he was lazy, he had TWO top five classes per Rivals. Two app. in the SEC CHAMPIONSHIP! Both losses yes, but also losses to the eventual national champs, yes I'm calling 2004 AU the champs, after Kiffin's kids were found out to be cheats. Three 10 win seasons, another 9 win season. He also had final BCS rankings of 8th, 15th, 16th, 14th. He also had 29 Vols drafted and others that went on to sign free agent contracts. As for coaches. Cut, Chavis, Brooks, Adkins, Sanders, Slade, Luke, Roper, and even Clawson all wen to bowl games with their teams this year. It's folks like you all who just spout off without knowing ANYTHING that cause the "my hair is on fire/the sky is falling" attitudes that lead to irrational decisions. Get it right is right. You would all do well to remember what it is that he did and STILL DOES for us. He did, does, and will love the Vols more than any of us! I for one pray we should ever be as good again, but we may never find another man who gives his all for Tennessee like CPF!

romevol writes:

in response to Coach_K:

Amen Coach_K...Amen!

kevininaugustageorgia writes:

Fulmer was a great coach at UT.

Like anybody else, he has some flaws. And yeah, things slipped a bit in the end. But, his worst four years in a row would be Heavenly compared to how UT football has been the past 4 years in a row.

It takes more than a head coach to have a championship college football program. As for me, it is plain 4 years later that there were more issues BEHIND the curtains than in front when Fulmer was fired.

But its done now. Throwing stones at the last guy to lead UT when they were on top for where they are now, is irrational.

Give the guy his due respect and wish him well. He has only good things to say about Tennessee, he deserves the same in return.

Also, before blaming Fulmer now, think back to when UT was playing for a SEC title about every 3rd or 4th year. Then, spoiled Vols fans (not all, but enough!) thought that was poor coaching.

JWilly writes:

Reading the comments here it is obvious that CPF is a very polarizing figure. I think all would be better off if he left K-ville and found another coaching job. I think ETSU would work very well. Hope it works out for him. It's a dead cinch that no major program is going to hire him.

edee writes:

Don't come to my school. If you do we still wouldn't have football.

kevininaugustageorgia writes:

in response to JWilly:

I think you may be a little off base on the no major program will hire Fulmer comment. Unless you are privy to info no one else gets.

Whats obvious is that he hasn't been offered by a big time program that he wants. Otherwise, it becomes a definition thing. As in what is your definition of a big time program?

I define big time as a D-1 (or FBS, or whatever they call D-1 nowadays). Anyway, there are about 120 of those schools. Fulmer himself has said the situtation had to be just right or he wasn't interested--that likely eliminates about 3 of every 4.

IMO, there are D-1 schools out there who would hire Fulmer in a minute. But, something in the top 30 or so are what he wants. And, you are correct in that respect.

The upper-tier guys wont hire a Fulmer for the same reason they would not hire a Bobby Bowden (if he were looking) or some other big names.

Its a safer hire as an AD to get someone coming up or to hire someone away than it is to hire someone who was fired, period. Fans look at a hire like that as taking another school's reject. That is something that many fans think a top 30 or so school shouldn't do.

Fulmer isn't the end-all greatest ever college coach. But, he's a heck of a lot better than a lot of people give him credit for now-a-days.

This comment is coming from a person who thinks that Fulmer stabbed John Majors in the back, back in the day. Still, that doesn't mean he can't coach college football--and coach it well.