John Adams: Butch Jones' parent policy a bold move

John Adams
Tennessee head football coach Butch Jones is introduced during the basketball game against Memphis at Thompson-Boling Arena, Friday, Jan. 4, 2013. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Butch Jones has yet to open a game at Neyland Stadium with an on-side kick. And you will come up empty if you Google "Butch Jones, riverboat gambler."

But you don't have to watch video of his former teams to realize he's a risk taker.

Jones recently sent a letter to the parents of Tennessee players and told them to call anytime. Veterans of coach-parent relations will tell you that's as risky as emailing your Social Security number to a Nigerian investment firm or car pooling with al-Qaida operatives.

Don't get me wrong. The majority of players' parents are probably rational, reasonable people who function quite well in a free society. Unfortunately, such qualities are muted where their sons are concerned.

Ever coach Little League? Those who have would rather take on the Taliban than parents.

They see players' parents for what they are: potential monsters. While their children might grow into pro athletes or accomplished middle-aged softball players, the parents sometimes remain stuck in Little League, raging against every coaching slight — real or imagined — as their little darlings climb each rung of the sports ladder.

But Jones boldly says, "Call anytime," seemingly unafraid of where such involvement might lead. What's next? Will he urge parents to email suggestions on how he might shape his offensive and defensive schemes to best accommodate their sons' "special skills"? Will he encourage them to submit a depth chart? Will he want them wearing headphones on game day?

As risky as this parent-friendly course might be, credit Tennessee's coach with being consistent. He's opening his door to just about everybody — former players, players' parents and fans.

That doesn't mean he will post his cellphone number on the JumboTron. But he will post his Twitter handle.

Twitter enables Jones and his assistant coaches to connect with fans on a daily basis.

Coaches tweet something like: "Love being here at Tennessee."

Fans tweet back something like: "Loving you being here at Tennessee."

And so it goes.

If you dismiss such discourse as frivolous, you're missing the point. It doesn't matter so much what the coaches say, just that they say it.

Fans want to feel connected to their program of choice. That connection is more crucial in the worst of times, which the Vols are currently experiencing.

An encouraging tweet

will go a long way after three consecutive losing seasons. And virtually anything work-related is encouraging.

"Just opened the door to my office," a coach might tweet.

Two seconds later, the same coach might tweet, "Just turned on the lights."

Right away, fans know a coach is working on their behalf. They also know he's not working in the dark.

Tweeting to fans won't help the Vols beat Florida this fall. Embracing former players won't close the gap with Alabama. Chest-bumping a mascot, which Jones did rather deftly at Thompson-Boling Arena, won't assure the Vols of a winning season.

But they all indicate Jones has an appreciation for what he's selling at Tennessee — passionate fans, tradition, and both old and new relationships.

So former players should feel free to drop by practice this spring. Fans shouldn't hesitate to tweet their support whether the next kickoff is months or minutes away. And Smokey should be prepared to stick out his chest if he sees the head coach coming.

In the meantime, players' parents are encouraged to send in their proposed depth charts before spring practice.

John Adams is a senior columnist. He may be reached at 865-342-6284 or adamsj@knoxnews.com. Follow him at http://twitter.com/johnadamskns

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

eb502us#225637 writes:

Lets not go overboard here.

I'm sure he has a second non personal cell number he will give to parents. Just leave him a voicemail and he'll call u back (after one of his assts. listens to the messages and verifies they are legit). Not a dad idea and no different than parents calling some other number.

GabGioGerAug writes:

Mr Adams,
I have been reading this website for a few months now. From comments I have read from your previous articles I have gathered that you are not a very popular person with a majority of the reader's on this website. I have refrained from even creating an account until now because it is just a game of football and not worth getting worked up about. However, as an infantryman with deployments to Afganistan where I have had to engage the enemy (Taliban or Al Qaida) on multiple occasions I can assure you that those who have coached little league (which I have as well) would much rather coach than take on the Taliban in firefights for hours. To use such an example to make your point is not only dissrespectful but demeaning to my brothers in arms who while I write this letter are wishing they could be coaching a little league team.

wyomingvol writes:

Bwaaahaahaa. Dooley just hired as receivers coach by the Dallas Cowgirls! Let's hope they draft Da' rick! Sorry J.Witten.

Welcome Coach Butch! I am so happy to have you here and major improvement over the last self centered, silver spoon donkey!

Tenn_Traveler writes:

Many are afraid of the open door policy and asking people for their honest input but it can work wonders. Good Job Coach! I'm liking what I hear more and more. Good luck with recruiting. Hang tough!

nocleats writes:

Coach Jones never met Bryce Browns father.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

Perhaps it's a step in changing the culture with UT Football.

Dalton writes:

in response to GabGioGerAug:

Mr Adams,

Vol fans appreciate your service...keep doing your nation proud and stay safe...I'm sure your rational chastising has made our budding comic reconsider his new favorite analogy...you have to consider his mindset...he giggles at old footage of Nazi Germany and has watched the Killing Fields a record 1130 times and keeps utilizing one liners from that comedic classic..
Khmer Rouge and SS zingers will fade and so will Taliban analogies...someday

eVOLved writes:

in response to GabGioGerAug:

Mr Adams,

If this is an earnest comment, please know that the readership doesn't disparage Adams because of insensitivity. They do so because of the inelegant attempts to use sarcasm to rile the fanbase. With the absence of that most typical rhetorical strategy, the articles can on occasion be surprisingly thought-provoking.

I'm glad Al Queada has been dismantled and the Taliban under control, and I appreciate all the service members who made that happen.

oldster writes:

I have coached little league for over 30 years - football, basketball, and baseball. I have always had an open door policy with the parents and invited them to practices. All I have asked is that they restrain any criticism to a time when the kids are not around. With the exception of baseball, the parents have always complied. I cannot say that I have not had my problems with the parents - they frequently say that I am too hard on the kids -but it has not been anything like facing the Taliban or anyone who is shooting at you with the intent to kill (I do realize the hyperbole, Mr. Adams, but as has been pointed out there is hyperbole and there is bad taste). The good will that this policy has accomplished by my being able to explain why I do what I do has been worth all the troubles. Moreover, I believe that the time spent so explaining has defused a lot of problems before they got worse ( even when I do not know what I am doing, I sound like I do).

gc_scvol writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

It's not political correctness...It's WAR, and you evidentaly have never experied it. Mr. Adams has stepped way over the line this time, and I suppose, due to your snide little comment, there are a few war vets. Who would like to discuss this with you personally, that however can never happen due to your hiding behind that keyboard. If you would like to discuss this in detail,feel free to contact me personally. It's possible if you try.

ethanfrome writes:

There is really nothing in this article to get worked up about unless you have stock in a Nigerian investment firm.

therightstuff writes:

in response to I_STILL_OWN_MANY:

Why is Coach Jones not SEC coaching material? Is it because he never has coached in the SEC... like, uh, let's see, Saban, Miles, Richct, Muschamp....
hmmmm even Myer.... three of those guys have NC's and came from outside the SEC. Why is that? Please enlighten us as to why? What is wrong with his attitude? What is wrong with his embracing everything Tennessee? Oh my gosh, this blowhard has actually reached out to former Vols!
Wow......

ambrown64 writes:

in response to sly_stone99#434111:

Perhaps it's a step in changing the culture with UT Football.

Political correctness versus appropriate respect for soldiers...two completely different issues.

If you want to disagree with our military institutions, that is your prerogative, but for God's sake, respect the men and women that serve.

Personally, I think smug analogies that trivialize a soldiers' reality do not belong in an article of this sort. I guess in your "anything goes" America, this sort of respect is not important. If that's who you want to be, you go for it.

The objection with regard to Adams is that, like a bratty child, he often uses devices to get attention. He is a D-level journalist at best, who uses "stir-the-pot" tactics to rouse a response. It is a poor substitute for substance.

ambrown64 writes:

in response to ambrown64:

you know...sry sly stone -- I replied to the wrong post!! will try this again!

ambrown64 writes:

in response to JBVols1698:

tgiles1944#654264 writes:

If you don't get the horses you'll have a hard time running in the DERBY - Recruiting is the name of the game in every sport - Winners want to play on winning teams.

RememberWhen writes:

in response to GabGioGerAug:

Mr Adams,

Thank you for defending our 1st Amendment...now you can allow us to use it.

laraccoon writes:

in response to therightstuff:

Wow......

your wasting your time with that moron , was probably a tuba player in the marching band and never even played sports and can only run his pie hole anonymously cause in the real world someone would shut it ! its the little you know what syndrome when they brag about guns , lol

strops writes:

poor lil johnny, Guess you didn't get Coach Jones number so the move can't possibly be correct.

holysmoke writes:

For goodness sake let's give it a rest. Football is a child's game regardless of the age of the participants. Tomorrow the sun will rise, the grass will continue to grow, and Barak Obama will still be President of the United States of America. Be big boys and girls and have fun with the children's games. John Adams is just interested in making a living. In so doing he provides us with some comic relief. Sounds like a win--win to me.

pomp_and_circumstance writes:

Never take Johnny Boy at face value. (Not only because the photo he posts on the slide screen is 25 years old.) You always have to read between his lines and under them. Butch's boldness speaks volumes to JA about the relationship between KNS and UT Athletics. No one at KNS has carte blanche to call anyone at the UT football factory. No one at KNS even has phone numbers to call. Once a month a KNS stafer might be granted a one minute interview with a player, but John Adams has to go through security checks worse than an airport to even be admitted to a press conference. That is why we, and all KNS bloggers, have to resort to twitter and all other cyber sites to snatch even a scrap of meaningful Vol football news.

BuckFama writes:

Fans could read tweets about sports writers turning on their lights, too ... if they cared to do so. But fans couldn't give a rat's _ _ _ about what sports writers do.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

I coached middle division Pop Warner FB and I couldn't take the constant calls and emails parents would harass me with. I commend CBJ for taking this responsibility, because it's something I wouldn't dare attempt. Good Luck, coach & GBO!!

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

Come on pal. Your calling the guy out to meet in the back yard for a little woop arse action because you don't like what he said? John Adams says stupid things sometimes. When he does. I don't read any further. If food taste bad, I don't eat it. I, as are most Americans who have not served in the military, are very, very grateful for the service of others in our defense. But cut the "me and my brother's in arms against the world garbage". We get it. You fought for us. Had I been drafted, I would have done the same. I chose something else. My best friend is a war vet. We talk about it often. It's just not on the sleeve of every shirt he wears. It was a stupid comment by a goofey sports writer who probably never played sports. Relax, you don't have to threaten everybody you don't agree with.

murrayvol writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

And this is a whole other level. These kids in many cases are the family's hope for the future, slim though it may be.

Rockytop38 writes:

Let's don't be quick to judge CBJ. Especially in recruiting. If we can have a good year in football in the W column. Recruiting will take care of itself but we have got to prove it on the field first getting those W's is what we need to help the recruiting. IMO.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to murrayvol:

No doubt, many of these families are not nuclear, but fractured homes where Grandparents are usually the primary care giver etc. CBJ has taken the responsibility of FB coach and family counselor. It's a gutsy move.

GRRN7MAXIMS writes:

I commend CBJ for instilling this open door policy to the parents. This is a unique and seldom used recruiting tool to show the parents that CBJ is truly here for their children/ student athlete. Any time a parent would like an update into how their son is performing on and off the field is an extremely inviting offer from the Head Coach of the University of Tennessee. Will CBJ warrant some unwanted calls? Of course he will. Will CBJ also be receptive to caring parents who want nothing but the best for their son? Absolutely. The open door policy is a unique tool that will definitely strike some parents as heart warming and sincere that CBJ is committed to their son's development as an athlete, student, and model citizen.
On a lighter note, did anyone see the special about Coach Saban and his office door? He will calmly invite a player into his office to speak with him, and without even getting up, he will push a button located on his desk that will mechanically shut the door behind him. I found that hilarious, and after hearing a few Alabama players say, " If coach Saban hits that button, you know its about to get ugly" haha

dvol writes:

in response to GabGioGerAug:

Mr Adams,

Dear Sir, I appreciate you service and all other miltary personnel who have fought and died for our freedom. I'm sure that John never meant any disrespect to you or anyone that served our country. He was just trying to be funny. I have coached T-Ball and the kids are great and fun to watch. But, there are a few parents who do go over the top sometimes. I'm sure if John reads your comment he will say he made a mistake in a future article. He just likes to have a little fun with us and I'm sure he will realize he went to far this time. Please forgive him and give him another chance.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to ronburgundy:

Take your own advice. You don't like it don't read it. I stated my opionion to someone who has no idea what he's talking about, and it seems you are just as knowledgable as is he. If your don't know what you're talking about don't join in the conversation. Such is the case with you.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

AND NO YOU DON'T GET IT.

mrnole1413#235470 writes:

Okay, I served my 20+ and I have no problem with John. In the old days the joke went, who are the Gators playing? The Russians? I'm rooting for the Russians by two touchdowns.

Now do you really think people wanted the Russians to win, no it was a joke and at the time we had no bigger enemy than the Russians.

They call it an opinion column for a reason. It's John's opinion and it served its purpose, people are posting about it.

notorange writes:

That's like giving your number to ex-girlfriends and saying call me if you need to talk... :)

6972 writes:

in response to GabGioGerAug:

Mr Adams,

PRICELESS! Best post of 2013.

Sir, I am proud of you...you and your comrades stay safe

P.S. Give the terrorist HELL. Make them curse the day they were born.

killdevil writes:

Think John before you compare athletics at UT to Fighting the Taliban.I just lost all respect for your writing!

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

Ok gc. You win. I agreed that Adams was out of line but because I haven't gone toe to toe with the Taliban as apparently you have I have no right to an opinion of your opinion. But please indulge me as to what I "don't get". What I got was Butch Jones has an open door policy for athletes parents, John Adams says stupid things sometimes and you hate people that don't agree with what you think.

underthehill writes:

Excellent image builder for Coach Jones..nice article by John..I had wonderful experiences with coaching youth sports for many years and don't agree with some of what John says about parents..I always demanded the parents of any child on my team attend a meeting before the first game ...I explained the rules and never had a serious problem with a parent..my rule was to never be critical of my players for anything other than lack of effort..and I was the judge and jury on that issue..the least talented player I ever had in baseball had as much or more fun than anyone..when he got his first base hit..you'd a thought we won the world series..all our players went wild and all the parents stood and cheered..we did win our league about every year..my point is parents are going to be reasonable if you are..seems this is what Coach Jones is going to practice..

volvann writes:

in response to GabGioGerAug:

Mr Adams,

I agree Gab, as I coached little league for many years and grew up as a dependant in the military (father a veteran of WWII, Korea and Vietnam), I would rather face unruly parents than any anti-American force. Of course using the strategies my father taught me from the military, when an 'unruly' parent had suggestions or complaints, my response was 'Great, you obviously now baseball and I need another assistant coach, we practice Tues and Thurs evenings and Sat mornnings, please be there 15 minutes ahead of time so we can talk to the players before we get the field!". The interesting thing is after 12 years of little league, not one 'unruly' parent signed on as an assistant coach, but I never heard from them again.

Go Vols...

ULTIMATEVOLUNTEER writes:

in response to killdevil:

You just NOW losing respect for his "writing" ?

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to ambrown64:

you know...sry sly stone -- I replied to the wrong post!! will try this again!

No prob, I wondered how my comment could have stirred such fury,lol.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to ronburgundy:

Ron, My origiinal comment was in repsonse to JBJBVols 1698, not to John Adams. I havelong sense given up on the hope of JA writing a good article and not trying to be a comedian. My respoonse wa to the perswon who evidentaly hs no respect for our military. No, I never faced modern day terriorist face to face that I know of. I'm from a different eneration, one who searched for the aggressor. If 1698 thinks taking offense to someone making light of combat, then Yes, I am opposed to his point of view, and anyone who defends him. Look back at my first comment on this article and you will deduct my reasoniing. I didn't atack you, I merely defended myself. If GabGlo i sdefending our countryu, he certainly is entitled to hid oponion and I have the right top defend him. I will not back down from my initial statement and I know what this young man is going through, even though my experience was many years ago and in a different locaton, I UNDERSTAND apoogies to you if you were offended.

Rich_Is_Re-born writes:

As soon as I startEd reading the article I knew it was written by Adams. I think I'll leave it at that.

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

in response to I_STILL_OWN_MANY:

Of course Fans want wins, but if you don't think a cultural change is needed in that program then you haven't been watching UT football the last 6-8 years.His policy on calling him direct at anytime is his assurance to parents of leaving their kids with him under his watch. Wouldn't call Coach Jones a blowhard, that's a bit harsh. Much of it is marketing and coach speech to rally the masses. The same as what we saw Kiffin and Pearl do. Let's wait and see what this team will look like after he has gotten a few recruiting classes in. Don't think anyone should expect 7+ wins this fall. What should be expected is a team that plays their heart out and leaves the other team feeling like they never want to play them again.

born2ride writes:

Hello, you have reached Butch Jones, the head football coach for the University of Tennessee.

Press 1 - if you are a parent

Press 2 - if you are a player

Press 3 - if you are a recruit

Press 4 - if your are a reporter

Press 5 - if this is the NCAA

All others press 0 for the operator.

gc_scvol writes:

in response to gc_scvol:

Thats some pretty pathetic spelling and grammar.

Colliervol writes:

in response to Rich_Is_Re-born:

I lost interest about half way through the article and stopped reading. Let me know if I missed anything. Talk about a sad attempt.

UTvols33 writes:

Wow.

That_One_Fellar writes:

in response to I_STILL_OWN_MANY:

So okay... Ol' Tommy dumps the players Butch had at Cincy... According to you, that didnt even belong in the Big East... And yet, Butch Jones took those players and turned them into winners, and more importantly, champions... When will people learn that winning starts with the coaches... Welcome to Tennesse Coach Jones...

That_One_Fellar writes:

in response to killdevil:

And, I sir, have lost all respect for your readin/comprehension skills... Adams didn't compare UT Athletics to fightin the Taliban... He compared coachin little league football to fightin them... Not at all sayin it's a better analogy... Maybe you should double check facts before you bash someone... If not, you really sound more ignorant than the person you're bashin... Just Sayin'