Report: Dallas Cowboys ready to hire Derek Dooley

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley calls to his players during the game against UT Martin at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Sept. 4, 2010.

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2010

No need for the unemployment line for Derek Dooley.

Two days after being hired as a guest analyst for ESPNU's coverage of National Signing Day, the former Tennessee football coach received an even bigger job opportunity.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reported on Saturday that the Dallas Cowboys are prepared to hire the 44-year-old as wide receivers coach.

Dooley, who received a $5 million buyout as part of his firing at Tennesse in November, was in Mobile, Ala., this week for the Senior Bowl, leading to speculation that he might be seeking a job in the NFL.

Dooley was 15-21 in three seasons at Tennessee. This past season, the Vols were 5-7.

Dooley spent two seasons in the NFL as tight ends coach of the Miami Dolphins (2005-06).

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

lemme_axya_this writes:

Sometimes good things do happen to good people. Congrats to Coach Dooley.

kjneel#238751 writes:

He and Dez will be best friends.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

Derick Dooley going to my 32nd favorite NFL team!
OUTSTANDING!

BayLee writes:

I wish him all the best. IMHO he is an excellent administrator and would be an outstanding Athletic Director. As a pure football coach, I'm not so sure...

lemme_axya_this writes:

This will probably be a one and done, just like some of his last staff. I can't see Jason Garrett lasting much longer in Dallas.

JimmyJoe writes:

Jerry Jones never ceases to amaze me. He has to be on crack.

Tennesseebob writes:

Congratulations, Coach. You're a good man.

wyomingvol writes:

Hahaaaahaaa! Another brilliant move by jerry jones. Hope he puts in the good word for Tyler Brat!

snowpeapod#263184 writes:

I'm not surprised at all about this hire. Sometimes a position coach is as high on the chain as coaches are qualified for. It's just a shame that Hamilton didn't realize that.

wolftever writes:

congrats to coach dooley...i wonder if he will wear silver britches?....

lomas98 writes:

Darick Rodgers to cowboys? Fits jones past character picks. Dooley would have nightmares.

UT_Braddah writes:

Anyone still trashing Dooley has issues (seriously). It's like he did something to you personally or something. I know, I know...the $5 mil buyout, only a couple SEC wins, etc. It's called a contract, and no coach with half a brain would leave a good job elsewhere and take the UT job (knowing he'll almost certainly be fired in 2-3 years) without a significant buyout. You wouldn't either. If you got canned after giving it your all, you'd take your buyout. Anyway, take care and try to let it go (or go get some help).

dwolfcreek#397971 writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

Sometimes good things do happen to good people. Congrats to Coach Dooley.

Ant that the truth .

Couchdummy writes:

Happy for him. Seems to be a nice guy.

McMinnVol writes:

I have been a Cowboys fan for over 45 years (since the Ice Bowl, whatever year that was). I also supported DD the whole time at UT until the very end. But I don't understand this hire. Like someone else said - I think he would be outstanding as an athletic director. But who knows, maybe Dez Bryant will play big for him. I will be pulling for him. GO COWBOYS and GO VOLS!

redskinvol1 writes:

This is too funny.If I didn't already have reason to not like Dooley.HTTR!!

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

I'm a lifelong Cowboys fan and welcome CDD to the family..WR isn't a weak link for Dallas so he won't be expected to build a receiving corp, rather maintain one. Congrats & Good Luck.

whatthe84 writes:

He should be fine. The Cowboys are a top flight organization with several super bowls under their belt. As long as CDD does not have to recruit or make game changing decisions he will be fine. Good luck coach Dooley!

eduardo writes:

Does this mean his buyout from UT is no more????

pj_ladyvolnMI writes:

Congratulations, Coach Dooley. We really wish you and your family all the best in Miami.

TrouserCough writes:

in response to lemme_axya_this:

Sometimes good things do happen to good people. Congrats to Coach Dooley.

Do you know anything about Derek Dooley?

davemanthevolfan writes:

What's going to be funny is one of these days Dooley becomes one of the best coaches in the nation and rolls into k-town and beats the hell out of the vols.

frblalack writes:

Congratulations to Coach Dooley! Class Act!

Wishing you the very best!!! And thank you for giving your all to Tennessee!!!

Vol for Life

marVOLous writes:

in response to eduardo:

Does this mean his buyout from UT is no more????

That clause was only in the assistant coach's contracts. Dooley, being a lawyer, was much too clever for that.

GerryOP writes:

in response to Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88:

Well ain't that some chit

Well Sam'lWaffles, what goes around comes around!

VolzsFan writes:

in response to marVOLous:

actually the coordinators do not have that either. Of course, no head coach has a clause like that on any level in college. A buy out is standard operating procedure at every school in football and basketball. Of course many fans want to believe that UT is some holy grail place and everyone would come here and they would be the only coach in America to waive a buy out. DD's UT buy out has nothing to do with him being a lawyer. The stupidity of fans is amazing.

GerryOP writes:

Good luck Coach Dooley, go forth and do well. And feel free to raise a middle finger to the rearview mirror as you leave Knoxville!

VolGrad writes:

As a lifelong Steeler fan..., I love this hire. :D

Samuel_L_Salma_GataBait_HowBoutDemCowboys_BlueWaffles88 writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Well Sam'lWaffles, what goes around comes around!

As long as he's never the head coach, I'm fine. I think he'll fit right in. Welcome to big D, Doolio.

BruisedOrange writes:

If he'd gone to Tampa Bay at least he could'a broke out his Big Orange pants for retro-uni games.

Guess he can always wear 'em to Barbara's next birthday party.

But seriously, as they say in Texas... it's not the size of the belt buckle, it's the size of the buckaroo wearing those Italian-made polyester orange pants.

Joking about the pants, but not the job--well done, Coach Dooley! Have success!

keepitreal4vols writes:

Jerry Jones-PLEASE draft Da'rick Rogers, PLEASEEEEEEE

MR_VOL writes:

This will help Coach Dooley in all aspects of coaching [even recruiting]. I hope he has nothing but success in the future.

Rosie writes:

in response to davemanthevolfan:

Are you high?

TheViper writes:

in response to UT_Braddah:

What in the heck are you talking about, he was on his way to being fired at La. Tech, but UT got what they deserved by hiring a bottom feeder Head Coach. Good Guy...Yes.... Head Coach....No!!!!!!

lafollette37766 writes:

Love him or hate him you have to admitt that Ole Dudley Dooright Dooley knows how to play the game money wise. The 5 million buyout is guaranteed plus whatever Dallas will pay him. Ole Dooley is gonna be sitting pretty in the dough.

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Seriously. The guy makes bad decision after bad decision at UT eventually making the Vols the laughing stock of the SEC and you say it's ok to flip us off as he drives towards Dallas with his trunk stuffed with 5 mil of the fans and alumni's hard earned cash. I don't care about the guy either way. I care about the university and the state of affairs he created and left for others to try and fix. I'm raising my middle finger in your honor right now. We're you golf buddies or what?

GloryDays writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Enjoy the 10 million dollars you took from the University of Tennessee, and sleep well knowing you set the program back for 3 years, and caused multiple problems for the football program. No hard feelings.

GloryDays writes:

in response to davemanthevolfan:

Put the crack pipe down! Dooley didn't win at LA Tech, didn't win at Tennessee. The only reasons he got a chance was because of his last name and what his father did. And we had Mike Hamilton who was a total incompetant clown in desperation grasping at straws.

pdhuff#552644 writes:

in response to GerryOP:

I'd just be smilin'

with a 8x10 glossy of Hammy under me pillow....

davemanthevolfan writes:

in response to GloryDays:

He had as good an offense as any in the country, he had a 1st year Defensive cordinator from alabama, changed schemes and strugled
. I believe he would have got over the hump this coming year. Same thing happened to fulmer when he changed offenses. UT idiot fans wanted him fired. Now he is a hall of famer. Dumb arse vol fans, what are you going to do with them? You can't fix hillbilly stupid. We will want fire Butch Jones in two years. I love the vols, just can't stand the stupid fans.

GerryOP writes:

in response to ronburgundy:

Seriously, it's the ignorant and obnoxious so-called fans like you who make UT the laughing stock of the SEC. Hiding behind a keyboard and a fake name you become a legend in your own little mind.

GerryOP writes:

in response to GloryDays:

Every time you screw up a batch of fries down at the King do you tell your boss to deduct $1 from your paycheck? I didn't think so.

The biggest problem with UT football is the idiot fanbase. Coach Dooley couldn't fix that because you can't fix stupid.

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

in response to GerryOP:

Come on Gerry. You can do better than that. And the hiding behind the key board things a little worn thin don't you think? And my minds not little at all as far as you know. OP, that's an interesting last name, is it german? The facts are the facts Gerry ole' boy. If I produced as poorly as Dooley did at UT, I'd be on the road too, just not with the fat bank roll.

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

in response to TrouserCough:

Do you know anything about Derek Dooley?

Ya, he knows he has lots of money in the bank and a nifty head of hair. (Oh ya, and struggles to win football games)

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

I wish CDD nothing but the best, Wilcox and Sirmon IMO blew the season for UT last season..Go Pokes!

jimr07 writes:

in response to TheViper:

You cannot prove that statement.. My information through Tim Brando is he was well thought of..

usnavyvolfan_on_duty writes:

in response to ronburgundy:

GerryOP has been proven right about a lot of things on this board, and I seriously doubt it would take much effort to be proven right about your little mind. to hold Dooley single-handedly responsible for UT's demise is the product of a miniscule brain indeed. But, please, don't stop making an arse out of yourself on my account.

usnavyvolfan_on_duty writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

He's back in a role I think he'll be more comfortable in. I believe he held the same position for my beloved 'Fins under coach Satan.

usnavyvolfan_on_duty writes:

in response to GloryDays:

Really, CDD did all that himself? Nope. WRong again, genius. First off, The $5 million buyout was in his CONTRACT...ergo..it was AGREED to by Dooley and Hamilton! And as much as you want to think, Dooley didn't come to Knoxville with the sinister purpose of "setting back the program 3 years," as you so eloquently state. He had a lot of help, but I'm sure your myopic view won't allow you to see the whole picture. You're probably part of the crew that wanted him fired 5 minutes into the job. God, I hope you're not in charge of anyone in your line of work.