Vols have reason to smile, 54-53 over Alabama

Cuonzo Martin calls 'Bama's final play; Jarnell Stokes stops it

Tennessee's Josh Richardson moves the ball past Alabama's Rodney Cooper during a game at Thompson-Boling Arena in Knoxville on Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013. (AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL)

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Photos by AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL

Photo by Amy Smotherman Burgess

Photos by AMY SMOTHERMAN BURGESS/NEWS SENTINEL Tennessee's Jarnell Stokes gets to the basket against Alabama during Saturday's game at Thompson-Boling Arena. Stokes scored 15 points and had a career-high 18 rebounds to lead the Vols to a 54-53 victory.

Cuonzo Martin challenged Jarnell Stokes.

Coach told player three things: Ball screen. Switch. Don't leave your feet.

Broadening his view, the Tennessee men's basketball coach told his troops, "You've been here before, guys, at some point we have to pull one out."

Nearly 12 long seconds and a one-point lead hung on the Thompson-Boling Arena scoreboard. A Saturday afternoon crowd of 18,791 awaited either another are-you-kidding-me near-miss loss or a relief-soaked win.

Coming out of its huddle, Alabama played out the script penned by Martin.

Trevor Lacey shouldered by a ball screen. Stokes switched. He lugged his 6-foot-8, 270-pound frame alongside the quick 6-foot-3 guard, staying on his feet for multiple pump shots. Finally, Lacey leaned into him, forcing a shot. Stokes, feet planted, stood with his arms out.

Horn.

No whistle.

Tennessee 54, Alabama 53.

"Coach called it all the way," Stokes said, grinning after notching his fifth double-double of the season with 15 points and a career-high 18 rebounds. "That's exactly what he said they were going to run."

Bolstered by 15 second-half points by Jordan McRae, the Vols earned a win they desperately needed. Entering the game, they were 1-7 when trailing with 10 minutes remaining.

Alabama led by seven with 6:08 to go Saturday.

Losers in five of its last six, Tennessee (10-8, 2-4 SEC) finally found a way.

"We've been playing good basketball, we just haven't been making the plays we need to make down the stretch," said McRae, who finished with 17 points on 6-of-13 shooting in a game-high 38 minutes.

Martin called it a "15-pound weight off the shoulders."

The Vols held Alabama (12-7, 4-2) to 2-for-9 shooting over the final nine minutes and the Tide aided UT by missing three free throws in the final five.

Tennessee's Trae Golden hit two decisive free throws with 32 seconds remaining. He missed the front end of a one-and-one, though, with 15 ticks to go.

"Not turning the ball over, knocking down free throws — they're the simple things at the end of the day that end up altering a game," said Golden, who handled the bulk of the Tide's pressure defense to close the game.

Alabama led by as many as 10 in the first half, holding the Vols to 9-for-28 shooting. UT opened the second half by making six of its first nine shots.

The Tide continued to answer until the closing frame.

Palms out, shoulders shrugged, Stokes offered a wide smile after hitting an unthinkable fall-away jumper with the shot clock expiring to give UT a 50-47 lead with 2:25 left.

After Lacey answered with a 3-pointer to tie it, McRae hopped, skipped and jumped down the lane to toss in a floater. It gave the Vols a 52-50 lead with under a minute left.

Asked after the game if he traveled, McRae nearly eye-rolled himself out of his chair.

"Man, those are two long steps, I'm 6-foot-6," he said.

Trevor Releford paced Alabama with 18 points, including a big 3-pointer that answered McRae's runner.

The Vols outrebounded Bama, 37-22. They grabbed 15 offensive boards, producing 17 second-chance points.

Stokes was responsible for eight of the offensive rebounds. Called for just two fouls in a season-high 35 minutes, the sophomore forward physically dominated the Tide.

"If he's allowed to be aggressive and do the things he needs to do, he's a special talent," said Martin, who recently lobbied for SEC officials to pay closer attention on "soft" fouls called against Stokes and no-calls when he's on offense.

"I was shocked when I went into halftime with no fouls," Stokes said. "I was able to play free."

And because of that, he played to the end.

"Normally we'd go five guards and switch everything (on the final possession), but I thought Jarnell had such a tremendous game, let's keep him out there," Martin said. "It's just fitting that he was that guy to get that stop."

Brendan F. Quinn covers Tennessee men's basketball. Follow him at Twitter.com/BFQuinn

Get Copyright Permissions © 2013, Knoxville News Sentinel Co.

Related Stories

Scoon writes:

A Christmas gift in January!! A late NO-CALL on a mawlin. Merry Christmas!

rtrchatt writes:

Sure looked like a foul but officials never lose a game for either side. Good game and move on.

Hard to believe Coach Bryant has been gone 30 years today. RIP Coach Bryant. Roll Tide

voloffaith writes:

Interesting that the first two poster children are kat and bammer fans. A mauling I don't think so. rtr you were very conciliatory today and you are to be congratulated. So da Bear passed 30 years ago today?

jamgod writes:

Anybody with a 1/4 of a brain saw that the alabubba dude jumped into stokes....good job on the refs for not calling that and who cares what an alabubba fan thinks, they lost the game!! Anyways, is Jimmy Dykes just plain against Tenn, anytime he calls a Tenn games it seems like he wants to get all cuddly with the other teams bench. Give it a break dude!

VictorKruger writes:

The team is really building some depth and hopefully it will pay off soon. The next 5 games are against mid-pack and below SEC teams. Now let's get on a win streak!

tree_em_smokey writes:

Stokes did leave his feet but his feet were already back on the ground and he was stationary when the bama player jumped into him, thus the no-call. GBO!!!

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

"The Tide pleaded for a foul call on Stokes against Trevor Lacey deep in the corner in the game's waning moments."

Couldn't tell either way from the original angle on the tv.
But the replay from the floor clearly showed that Stokes had established his position, was standing still with arms staight up, and Lacey jumped into him.
He bounced off like a pig-pong ball against a brick wall, but jumped into him none-the-less. Good no call.

SummittsCourt writes:

in response to Scoon:

A Christmas gift in January!! A late NO-CALL on a mawlin. Merry Christmas!

Sore loser! There was nothing to call. I can just picture you sitting at your computer in your grandma's basement waiting to post your stupid comment. Such a loser.

mocsandvolsfan writes:

Can't take any game for granted at this point. Go UT and take these next few games.

MooseandSquirrelVol writes:

in response to MooseandSquirrelVol:

Couldn't tell either way from the original angle on the tv.

ping-pong, not pig-pong.
Oh well, if that's the worst I do today, I can live with it.

in response to jamgod:

Exactly! As often as the clueless refs call the foul on the defender when the shooter jumps into him, it was about time they called it right. GREAT game by Jarnell! GREAT second half by Jordan! This game just shows what a fine line there is between winning and losing. Even against Bama's tough defense, the Vols only turned it over 11 times and OWNED the boards.

As for Jimmy Dykes, he was on the crew for either the UT-GT or UT-UVA clank-fest and seemed terminally offended by the Vols' "offense". In the past, I have thought he was usually pretty fair to UT.

houvol#438636 writes:

Wow, a one point victory given to them. Who Cares.

in response to tree_em_smokey:

The thing is, and the refs almost NEVER get this right, the defender can jump and still either draw an offensive foul or get a no-call. The principle of verticality in the rules extends from the floor to the ceiling. As long as the defender is in a "legal guarding position", which includes jumping straight up, any contact initiated by offensive player is an offensive foul if it is anything, but they almost never have the guts to call it right.

underthehill writes:

37 - 22 rebounding edge for the Vols..could have won by a much larger margin by cutting down on the turnovers..Armani Moore continues to make progress and looks like a future All SEC type..or more..quick hands and feet..excellent anticipation as to where the ball will come off on a missed shot..excellent rebounder and defender..strong competitor..talent that will shine with a bit more experience..I really like that Martin is getting the young guys more involved..

mocsandvolsfan writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I too have at times been offended by our offense!!

But great game today. It seems Golden is trying again. Good "nonscoring" game for him. Maybe he's on his way back.

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

I thought the replay clearly showed the ref got it right..

in response to houvol#438636:

Wow, a one point victory given to them. Who Cares.

Yeah, and if it had been a one-point loss, you know there would already be a dozen posts on here saying, "Same ol' Vols; choked another one away."

in response to underthehill:

I thought the replay clearly showed the ref got it right..

Oh, I agree. I was just saying that I have seen that kind of play mis-called a hundred times for every one they got right.

CroKev writes:

Good news in contrast to Green's decision to play football at UM.

Scoon writes:

in response to SummittsCourt:

'Cuse me, but do not associate me to or as a bammer fan, vol; and, 10 out of 10 times, THAT was a foul by Tee !!

in response to underthehill:

They only had 11 turnovers today, which is progress for them, considering how many balls they left lying around against Bama and OM at their places. I agree that the young guys are coming along nicely.

Basketvol writes:

Wow! I don't get the whole "low scoring basketball is boring" thing. That was an exciting game! It looks like the officials got the message on Stokes and it has been long overdue. No doubt they have not been calling him fairly this year. He showed up big time today. I didn't have a good look at the last play from where I was sitting but I sure did like the result. I heard from my wife, who watched the game on TV, that the announcers said it was a foul. Terrible officiating again, I'm not sure if that was the case on the last play, but UT definitely benefited from some bad officiating. It's about time it went our way! Jordan McRae hopped, skipped, jumped, and traveled on a pivotal play and there was no call. That's basketball for you.

On another note, good showing by the crowd today. I wonder if we will get NCAA violations for students chanting Von Bell's name or the girl that gave him a shout-out during that halftime recycling competition? I hope it's okay for me to mention his name in this post. Don't want to get anyone in trouble. Nothing would surprise me at this point.

Beat Vandy!

Ironcity writes:

in response to mocsandvolsfan:

I too have at times been offended by our offense!!

Great to finally win a game even if their was some dubious no calls. UT really needed that. Surprised by how bad Golden looks shooting. Its really incredible how players can lose their confidence and not regain it. For UT to be successful Golden has to score and play well and UT has to score more easy baskets then they do. Their is no rule that states you have to wait for the other team to set their defense before we start playing on offense.

Also is there another Vol in history that has missed more dunks then Kenny Hall?

in response to Scoon:

I didn't see anywhere that he called you a bammer fan. He called you a loser. A comment like that has "loser" written all over it, whatever team you root for. And as I said, I have seen that play called a foul a hundred times for every time they got it right. This was that one time.

orangecountyvols writes:

Vols,

This one was so much torture watching that I had to leave it many times. Trae was shooting balls from 10 feet in front of the rim that didn't get to the rim. He was the hero at the line then almost was the goat missing the one and one at the end. You just knew Bama would hit that last 3.

Anyway, at the end, the refs on other occasions ( at Alabama, at U K, or at Miss St ) would have called a foul on Stokes. You don't see fouls called with just the body contact that much.........usually it's when somebody hacks you while shooting. Stokes has had any number of ghost fouls called on him so it was time a break finally went the Vols way. Most of the time, a good ref will let them play at the end of a game unless there's an obvious call to make. Yes, it was a typical hard fought game.........and based on the effort ( plus finding a shooting eye ) we might see a couple more wins...........one over the one and dones will be nice.

underthehill writes:

in response to Scoon:

A Christmas gift in January!! A late NO-CALL on a mawlin. Merry Christmas!

What kind of gift was that at Vandy when Noel's shot AFTER the shot clock expired was not "reviewable"..and at Rupp when Cal called a foul on UT and had the ref go to the monitor to verify it..

HtownVol writes:

I liked the win but I am very tired of seeing the lazy passing. Tennessee gave away 6-7 possessions due to pure laziness when passing the ball.
McRae is our best scorer but his ball handling is horrible.
I really wish Martin would coach up simple passing (and free throws)

Anyway, VS Ole Miss Tennessee got hosed more than any game I have seen in my life with bad calls ...BUT I have to admit that Tennessee got some help at the end today, Golden threw an elbow and pushed off very badly to catch a inbound pass with under a minute to go and that WAS a foul on Stokes. I am not complaining cuz UT was due some calls.

Also, is UT the only team that has to call a T.O most of the times when the trap closes on them?

And what is up with Golden??/ How many 10 foot air-balls did he throw up today? Thats guy is falling apart.

A win is a win but man that was ugly.

GO VOLS

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor fair and down the middle. Witch Doctor say during the course of the game that is more likely a call for the offense...BUT at the last shot and the defender is going more for CONTACT rather than the BUCKET you usually dont get that call. Witch Doctor say Team/Stokes have gotten enough ticky tack calls against them.
Bones never lie.

BackAShoneysnFleas writes:

Exciting game and I'm glad UT came away with it. Jimmy Dykes said that Stokes fouled the Bama player at the end of the game. They replayed it - Stokes clearly leaned into the guy, not the other way around. I feel like Stokes got away with one, but that's just basketball - the calls go back & forth. No one gets all of them right. Did it cost Bama a win? Don't know. Did it cost Bama a CHANCE at a win? Definitely.

8inarow writes:

Cuonzo for Coach of the Year!

in response to Basketvol:

Beat Vandy!

I didn't get to see the game. Weird cable outage in my area, where the system wouldn't show any channel above 15 on the dial and, wouldn't you know, ESPN2 is 16 on my system. (Of course, ESPN3 was blacked out in my market, but I was helpfully advised by them that I could catch it on ESPN2. Thanks for the advice(:-/)! They'd better get it fixed by 7:00, though; UNC at NC state on ESPN tonight; folks around here will never let TWC live it down if they can't see that one!) However, I did see a replay of that situation at half-time of the UK-LSU game, and the most the analysts said was that it was a close call.

As for the officiating in general, I am just glad the refs, for whatever reason, didn't turn the game into a foul-fest. Of course I couldn't tell whether Jarnell was just bullying people and not getting called for it, but I'm glad he got a chance to show what he could do when the refs didn't have him in "jail".

golfman1975 writes:

in response to houvol#438636:

Wow, a one point victory given to them. Who Cares.

Stokes was totally vertical...they jumped into him and thus a no call...

Witch_Doctors writes:

in response to Witch_Doctors:

Bones never lie.

*Shooter is going more for contact...Witch Doctor need nap. lol
BNL

tnvolfan98 writes:

in response to orangecountyvols:

Vols,

Well said! I have watched to many games this year where Tennessee gets consistently shafted with bad calls or missed calls. I do believe we got away with one, but it was refreshing to see a game that wasn't a foul fest or called so tightly it was excruciating to watch (i.e. Mississippi earlier this week). let's go Vols!! Build on this win.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to Scoon:

Who is Tee? There was no foul because STOKES was absolutely vertical on the play and the bamer dude jumped into him

underthehill writes:

in response to johnlg00:

might be able to see the replay on utsports.com or CSS..

sly_stone99#434111 writes:

Those complaining about CCM calling the SEC about the refs handling of Stokes can be glad he did.John Thompson did the same thing when Patrick Ewing was playing at G-Town. Good game from the Vols today. Better "no" call at the end.

SmokyMtnMan writes:

You have to admit that it was a foul, but that's how it goes sometimes!

golfman1975 writes:

in response to BackAShoneysnFleas:

New glasses for you! Stokes was totally vertical and the Bama guy jumped into him. He has a right to his position and should have been an offensive foul if anything.

in response to BackAShoneysnFleas:

Well, I guess people can see what they want to see. To me, Stokes was standing still with his hands up, not swiping at the ball or bodying the shooter, when the shooter CLEARLY jumped into him. But, again, it doesn't matter what we think, and goodness knows the Vols have been victims of such calls way more often than they have benefited from them.

SevenT writes:

In spite of the TB Home Cookin that was a good win. I can't wait until Kentucky goes down there and shuts the hunter orange up.

Just saying

golfman1975 writes:

in response to SmokyMtnMan:

You have to admit that it was a foul, but that's how it goes sometimes!

I don't have to admit jack...it wasn't a foul.

TrackVol1975 writes:

I just watched the reply and there is no way that was a foul, and I don't care what Jimmy Dykes or Nick Saban or whoever has to say. Stokes was standing at the baseline almost facing the back line with his hands up. The Bama player literally jumped into him and was out of control. A good no-call.

Stokes definitely was a PLAYER this game. Bama had no answer for him at all, and I hope this is the start of something good down the stretch.

golfman1975 writes:

in response to SevenT:

Just saying

Kentucky lost to Bama...tight game again today against Yellow Shoe but will win. Bring um on...

golfman1975 writes:

Kentucky girls know how to scream...ouch...Ky wins against Yellow Shoe.

in response to SmokyMtnMan:

You have to admit that it was a foul, but that's how it goes sometimes!

I absolutely do NOT have to agree that it was a foul. The refs didn't think so and I agree. But you're right; sometimes it does go that way. IMHO, about time it went that way for the Vols.

underthehill writes:

in response to SevenT:

Just saying

TB Home Cookin will include a ref with a monitor to use in case Martin calls a foul that the ref don't call..UT decided to add this home court advantage afer seeing it work at Rupp when Cal used this trick on UT..

orangecountyvols writes:

in response to johnlg00:

Exactly John. Stokes showed some poise at the end by keeping his arms straight up. Wish you could have seen it live,and do hope you'll be able to see a replay version.

That play is the hot subject right now. And yes, Jimmy Dykes is probably disappointed, as was Vitale the other night when Miami schooled Duke.

Tennessee plays awfully disjointed, but they will still claw and scrap and will make a play when you least expect it.

Teams are killing us shooting these 3's.
Something Tennessee is having an awfully hard time doing. We are seeing games where after 10-15 minutes, the Vols have scored 7 or 8 points etc. We'll be shooting something like 2 for 10 or 12.

Watching this game, we'd see the Vols moving down the floor and suddenly Bama was heading with the ball in the other direction after either a steal or our missed shots.

It's next year of course, but will we have in Hubbs....a guy who can dribble the ball?

Any comments from RTRchatt?

golfman1975 writes:

Stokes had a good game...could it be because he didn't get 2 fouls the first 2 minutes?

smokeygrowl writes:

If the Bama player had made an effort to shoot the ball instead of jumping into Jarnell and doing such an act like he got killed he may have got the call. Good no call.Way too much acting in college on charges etc.