Dallas Cowboys hire Derek Dooley as wide receivers coach

Tennessee head coach Derek Dooley calls to his players during the game against UT Martin at Neyland Stadium Saturday, Sept. 4, 2010.

Photo by Adam Brimer, copyright © 2010

No need for the unemployment line for Derek Dooley.

The Dallas Cowboys announced Saturday they hired the former Tennessee football coach as wide receivers coach.

Dooley, who received a $5 million buyout as part of his firing at Tennessee in November, was in Mobile, Ala., this week for the Senior Bowl, leading to speculation that he might be seeking a job in the NFL.

Dooley was 15-21 in three seasons at Tennessee and 4-7 this past season.

Dallas coach Jason Garrett and Dooley were on the same staff with the Miami Dolphins in 2005-06. Garrett was offensive coordinator, and Dooley coached tight ends. Those are Dooley's only two years of pro experience.

On Thursday, he was hired as a guest analyst for ESPNU's coverage of National Signing Day.

snafu14u#241639 writes:

glad to see coach landed on his feet.....enough said. bonzaivol

HooRay_Vol writes:

Good luck. Didn't know he played WR in college.

VFL_Troll_Patrol writes:

I feel really bad for the Dallas Cowboys. They already had enough troubles this season, now they got Dooley....?

Hopefully they will fire him after his first year and not wait for three. Dooley did one thing right at UT and that was improve the offense.
He made a mistake by hiring Sal who crapped up our defense. All that being said, considering that Dooley only did a "Few" things right, he is still a terrible coach at any position. Sorry Cowboys :(

Im looking at a brighter future for UT!

"A new leader" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4xteY...

*Im always watching*

tdvol1989 writes:

Seriously, how long must we even talk about Dooley? Please, I don't care and my sincere condolences to the Cowboys organization and the unfortunate players affected.

voldoll73 writes:

It is difficult to understand the continued criticism and bitterness against Coach Dooley. He will never read these comments and they will
not affect him at all. But, they will be viewed by the public as beneath the character of Vol fans everywhere. Vol fans are some of the greatest in the country. Let's reflect that in our comments about Coaches, players, and each other. I trust we will not dwell on the past, but will look to the future with a positive spirit.

TommyJack writes:

It appears that Jerry Jones has finally reached the Al Davis stage of life.

DRORANGELOVE writes:

Good Luck Coach Dooley. Thank you for doing your best at UT playing with the hand you were dealt, and I hope you experience a lot better luck with the Cowboys than you did with the Vols.

lafollette37766 writes:

in response to TommyJack:

It appears that Jerry Jones has finally reached the Al Davis stage of life.

He moved beyond the Al Davis stage of life years ago. One must remember that as goofy as Al Davis was he did warn UT about Ole Lame Brain Kiffy.

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

Go Derek Dooley.... Go big orange.... Orange and white

Show-me-your-TDs writes:

Dooley if you're reading this can I please have your orange pants they're awesome!!,

kyvol98 writes:

in response to GlennFordsFoible:

Just trying to help you out here Jeffy.
Make sure you get a facebook account so you can share your wisdom with all of the Cowboy faithful. You can now continue your obsession with all things Derek Dooley.

tennrat writes:

His receivers at Tennessee never could run the the routes correctly! So now the Cowboys want him to coach the WR's????? What are they thinking?

BustaRhymes writes:

First the Cowboys hire Monte Python's Flying Kiffin... and now Dooley... someone needs to get Jerry back on his meds... We can probably pick up Lame Kiffin as our QB coach after next season... get the matching set.

ronburgundy (Inactive) writes:

in response to I_STILL_OWN_MANY:

Wow! Your stupidity knows no limits.

RockySwamp writes:

He can probably learn a lot from Jason Witten.

GloryDays writes:

in response to I_STILL_OWN_MANY:

Since you know it all, why hasn't ETSU called you? Please find another site to post your negative garbage.

SteelerNation writes:

For years I have said my favorite two teams are the Steelers and who ever is playing the Cowlicks. Thank you once again Jerry Jones for doing everything in your power to to keep your franchise mediocre. Hahahahahahahah!

bigdisbig writes:

Why do we even care what is going on with the worst coach in the history of the Tennessee football program? Why not write about Buzz Peterson as well...or maybe Todd Raleigh?

Well, the Cowboys receivers will start dropping passes and running wrong routes with Dooley leading them.

Way to go Jerry Jones! You continue to amaze America with stupid moves.

CockeCountyNative writes:

Another reason to dislike the Cowboys...Great hire Jerry

bob.bigorange#605842 writes:

Hope the John Adams gazette doesn't have ANY MORE articles about Derek Dooley........he's gone, forget about him.

arkyvol writes:

since he's working, do we still have to pay him the five million he earned by establishing his incompetence?

WhitePineVol77 writes:

I hope he can help the cowgirlz, I mean boys.
Dallas needs a QB like Luck or even a Kapernick, who can do it all.

SevenT writes:

After reviewing these comments I am surprised the classless Vol fans are not making plans to head over to Dooley's home, beat him up, and burn his house down.

Let me explain something to y'all. The reason this program stinks is because Fulmer was fired. Not that complicated

Go4Two writes:

As a Redskin fan I couldn't be more happy.

FanNotSheep writes:

Big difference between being head coach and position coach. From what I was told Dooley tried to micromanage everything and everybody. Head coaches can't do that. I'd say a WR coach can.

Monte Kiffin is one of the best in the business, a legend. Unfortunately for the college football world, as a parent he was spending all of his time coaching Tampa Bay when he should have been applying the belt to Li'l Lame's smart … behind.

PUL4VOLS writes:

Life moves on, so has Coach Dooley. All the naysayers, I am certain could have beaten Alabama, Florida, GA SC etc. if THEY had been head coach with the teams he had. But that's ALL past too. Let's move on now. I wish him well and am not a Cowboys' fan. My guess is, however, if they do not win next year it will not be because of the wide receivers, just guessing there.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

That's odd that CDD gets an offer right away and Fulmer after 4 years is contemplating a return to coaching at ETSU.

underthehill writes:

in response to SevenT:

You will find classless fans in all fan bases..you do a good job representing that group for Kentucky..

pcshowtime writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

maybe that is because phil will not take a position coaching job. The former head coach before butch jones and after lane kiffin. who I do not use his name because he is not worth it will never hold a head coaching job in the pros or college again.

VOLS_SEC_RULES writes:

in response to TommyJack:

It appears that Jerry Jones has finally reached the Al Davis stage of life.

True indeed. For us that are both Vol and Cowboy fans, we are now at the bottom of the barrel....but I guess it could get worse....next year, Lame could become be the Cowboys head coach.

OrangePride writes:

It never ceases to amaze me how much bitterness and spitefulness shows up on these boards. Perhaps we were all disappointed with the results (none moreso than Dooley himself), but he's a good man and some of these comments are beneath contemptable. Worse, those comments reflect on us as fans and us as supporters of UT sports. Because recruits and others read these boards, how about we think about the impact our words might have and lighten up. For me, I wish the man and his family the very best.

Vols4life77 writes:

in response to tennrat:

What a DUMB post!! Are you a coach? Do you know what plays we're called at the line? And for a QB that threw for almost 4000 yards and a wr that caught for 1000, another that was close in his first year with the program, and the slot guy had 500. If you don't like Dooley that's on you but try to refrain from showing your football ignorance please. And if they were running the wrong routes wouldn't that be more on the WR coach since that's what he is paid to do? And news flash for you, Patterson will run the wrong routes next year because he is a raw talent, Try again hater!!

davemanthevolfan writes:

I put three comments on this thread and they are gone. I guess vol fans can't take anyone that makes since.

volinlm writes:

in response to OrangePride:

Agreed. For many on here it is more about the cleverness of the comment. Dooley came, he tried, he failed. Don't like the Cowboys, but hope he's successful for him and his family.

genocards#1381209 writes:

Reading all these comments about Dooley ,makes me realize what big mouths most fans have and how little they know about coaching. This guy never had a hint of scandal and was a credit to UT. Kiffin ruined his first year and he really had only two recruiting years. I wish Hart would have given him a third year. Best of luck to a good man and these nasty UT "fans" remind me of why nothing sucks like a big orange. Go Bama.

movol77 writes:

Hmm, again many comments presume to know more than the professionals. And that would make real sense, right?

Congrats to CDD

madrigal writes:

I don't see why all the nastiness about Dooley. He was a decent guy, just not made for head coaching. If he'd been a shady loudmouth like L*** K****n I could see it, but he wasn't. Get over yourselves already and wish him good luck and godspeed.

davemanthevolfan writes:

in response to OrangePride:

I agree, the fans on this board are just about enough to make you not be a vol fan. UT recruits, PLEASE DON'T READ THIS BOARD!!!!!!!

underthehill writes:

in response to genocards#1381209:

You could not be more wrong in saying fans know little about coaching..even your beloved Dooley knew..you are what your bubble gum card says your are..need I say more...

underthehill writes:

in response to volinlm:

true ...and all that needs to be said on this subject..no reason to blame the taker..blame belongs to the giver..

VOL1972 writes:

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

Not odd at all. If Fulmer had been 50 when UT fired him, there would have been a number of schools that would have wanted to talk to him. Now that he is 62, he is considered to be over the hill. I know that is absurd, but that is the conventional wisdom. Bill Snyder is the only notable exception I know of, but that was a totally different situation than Fulmer’s.

The ETSU opportunity is something different. There aren’t that many quality coaches who would be interested in rebuilding a program from scratch. This would be a little like Watson Brown going Tennessee Tech.

BIVOLAR_BEARE writes:

in response to VOL1972:

The NFL has plenty of coach's Phil's age, so really that's a flawed argument.

jhayes0926#638474 writes:

in response to VFL_Troll_Patrol:

Im looking at a brighter future for UT!

"A new leader" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4xteY...

*Im always watching*

why be such a hater for someone? Good luck to him. He did his best for UT. It just wasn't enough, but he is human and doesn't deserve vindictive insults.

davidcindykitts#222982 writes:

Good luck Coach Dooley. We wish you and your family the best.

1vavolfan writes:

Bill Callahan, Monte Kiffin, and Derek Dooley. For those of us who hate the Cowboys we couldn't have picked a better staff ourselves.

Witch_Doctors writes:

Witch Doctor say Saban hired him as a position coach and he must be good at that, Witch Doctor say as a head coach..well we know the answer. Witch Doctor say no need to hate the ONLY guy who would even take the job back then as Kiffen is the one who set us back 5-6 seasons. Witch Doctor say good luck.
Bones never lie.

born2ride writes:

Will Dallas let Dooley wear those silly orange pants?

in response to tennrat:

Well, he wasn't the receivers coach at UT! He did play the position in college and has coached tight ends before. I'm not a Cowboys fan, so I don't care how he does with them. I would mainly like to know if getting this job relieves UT of any of his buyout.

V02Vol writes:

in response to genocards#1381209:

I am no Bama Fan and it does not suck to be a Big Orange Fan. I will not understand why fans from other schools spend time on this site. With that said, I agree with the premise of your post and that is that the people on this post that continually lob insults and personal attacks against the former coach could not last one day in his shoes. They could not call a play prior to it being run. The thing about electronic banter is that it makes some people bigger and more brave. Email cowards would be appropriate. I doubt very seriously that any of those post comics would insult the man to his face.

in response to BIVOLAR_BEARE:

The NFL has plenty of coach's Phil's age, so really that's a flawed argument.

Yes, but not many who STARTED in the NFL at Phil's age.